Darnold Footwork

msena88

I don’t no nothing but I can armchair QB better than our QB whisperer. 

A) We know the line can’t figure it out. Why? Ask Gase after 7 games. 

2) How about some roll out plays ala Russell  Wilson. We know Sam can throw accurately on the run.

C) How about a 2 set back with Bell as an outlet and the FB blocking the free rushers we see all the time. 

4) Designs plays to get the ball out in 2-3 seconds. Seems to work well for Brady. 

E) Throw some razzle dazzle plays to keep the Defense on its heels. Reverses, double reverses, flea flickers. (Not Wildcat)

6) Go hurry up Offense from time to time.

G) Have a half dozen audible plays so when it looks like a play is doomed call an audible. I haven’t seen a kill play yet this season. 

This is my indictment with Gase. The way I see it, He’s running his system and the team has to comply with it instead of adapting to what he has to work with and being innovative like most good coaches in the NFL.

No the Jets will trot their offense out there every week and look the same. But according to Gase we’ll work on it and get better. I heard that last year some some other HC.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Darnold has the quintessential happy feet. Last year I was extremely impressed with his footwork, and kinda reminded me of young Peyton Manning's footwork (Not that Darnold is destined to become Peyton, just a similarity) The constant pressure this year has freaked him out. Instead of relying on his fundamentals, his feet are all over the place, and he isn't falling back on his good technique. A little confidence and a little blocking alongside solid coaching should  be able to fix that right up

• Upvote 1

You can scrutinize Darnold till the cows come home but tou people need to hear what others that football have to say

https://nypost.com/2019/10/28/christopher-johnsons-eye-opening-message-to-jets-fan/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Before talking about Darnold's skills and form, the players around you have to be capable of allowing Darnold to do those tactics. If he's constantly pressured his mind set is more about getting the pass off.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

Darnold has the quintessential happy feet. Last year I was extremely impressed with his footwork, and kinda reminded me of young Peyton Manning's footwork (Not that Darnold is destined to become Peyton, just a similarity) The constant pressure this year has freaked him out. Instead of relying on his fundamentals, his feet are all over the place, and he isn't falling back on his good technique. A little confidence and a little blocking alongside solid coaching should  be able to fix that right up

You're letting a couple of comments from booger mcfarland cloud your judgment. Darnold is much better in the pocket this year than last . Take the aberration of the pats game out, and Darnold has shown no issues with footwork in three other games.. In fact, hes been great in the pocket. 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, nico002 said:

You're letting a couple of comments from booger mcfarland cloud your judgment. Darnold is much better in the pocket this year than last . Take the aberration of the pats game out, and Darnold has shown no issues with footwork in three other games.. In fact, hes been great in the pocket. 

I don't think he's been great. I've seen him pitter patter and fail to escape pass rushers more often than we are used to 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, nico002 said:

Disagree. Even against the Cowboys some of his best throws came off a poor base - it had Romo excited, but no one (not even Favre) does that all the time without giving up pics (which Favre did too as a pup).

On 10/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, nico002 said:

I noticed the shotgun stance in the buffalo game. 

Look, Darnolds footwork had nothing to do with the losses against the jags. Other than the pats game he’s completing 70% of his passes and has made some of the most accurate intermediate throws I’ve ever seen a Jets QB make. 

He’s trying to force it down field to receivers that can’t get open while not having enough time. That is the problem right now.

I tend to agree. He's trying to be a hero which is not right but understandable. He needs to go back to taking what the defense gives him, even if that's a throw away or sack

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2019 at 8:58 AM, msena88 said:

This is where I have to blame scheme a bit, Edoga is definitely worse than Beachum but they were struggling even with Beachum but otherwise is the talent on the OL really any worse than it was last year? OL was far from a strength last year but considering the talent is relatively the same and they're an absolute sieve, we have to question what's going on scheme wise.

Are you telling me you saw the same amount of free rushers and overall pressure on Sam at the end of last year as this year?

We must be watching different games.

Is the OL 'really any worse than it was last year'?  seriously?

He's got a rookie LT, newly acquired LG, an OC that is a vet but new out of retirement who is no different than Harrison, Winters another year older and Shell.

The OL sucks, and is clearly worse than last year...by a mile.

6 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Disagree. Even against the Cowboys some of his best throws came off a poor base - it had Romo excited, but no one (not even Favre) does that all the time without giving up pics (which Favre did too as a pup).

You’re lumping two different things together. Darnold is amazing at throwing off platform/with his feet pointed in the wrong direction/while on the move. He’s incredibly accurate at this- it’s special... that is why Romo was gushing over it. He is almost never inaccurate from those positions. What happened during the NE game was Something totally different- he was literally just back peddling away from the rush and lobbing it up to where he thought the receiver would be/could make a play.

29 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You’re lumping two different things together. Darnold is amazing at throwing off platform/with his feet pointed in the wrong direction/while on the move. He’s incredibly accurate at this- it’s special... that is why Romo was gushing over it. He is almost never inaccurate from those positions. What happened during the NE game was Something totally different- he was literally just back peddling away from the rush and lobbing it up to where he thought the receiver would be/could make a play.

One leads to the other. He thinks he can be accurate back pedalling because he has done it before whether throwing side arm or off his back foot (like the TD vs Dallas) - and that leads to trouble. That's where discipline and coaching and making that a distinction should happen : he can't try to compensate for fundamentals because his athleticism has bailed him out before. 

I am a huge Darnold supporter but he has to get his feet under control. 

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

One leads to the other. He thinks he can be accurate back pedalling because he has done it before whether throwing side arm or off his back foot (like the TD vs Dallas) - and that leads to trouble. That's where discipline and coaching and making that a distinction should happen : he can't try to compensate for fundamentals because his athleticism has bailed him out before. 

Don’t agree, he had literally no option be NE- other than take a sack. 

1 hour ago, ryu79 said:

Yeah.....Sam thinks he can do the same stuff he did at USC in the NFL. And more often than not, it ends badly.  After 17 games in the NFL anyone calling it a net plus has their head firmly inserted into their a$$. Kid has more INTs than TDs and completes <60% of his passes. 

On 10/29/2019 at 6:08 AM, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold"s problems.

OL 

WR's 

Play calling. 

HC 

That’s all?  Ahh all that can be fixed by hmmm...way after his contract is up hahaha.

Just shut everything down and move the team.

PS you can add team wise...No pass rush, No Corners, basically EVERY element that makes a winning football team is missing.  Tom Brady could never have a season over .500 with this team.

20 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Don’t agree, he had literally no option be NE- other than take a sack. 

And if you were to ask him, Sam would tell you he should take the sack. I heard him say so in the post game. 

I believe he can clean this up and the turnovers will come down, it's what he did in the stretch last season. 

A couple of weeks ago Sam was being praised for his unorthodox footwork, how he could deliver the ball accurately at any angle without properly setting his feet.  Now he struggles 2 weeks and it's a huge issue.  There a lot going on with this O right now including the young QB in a funk.  He's going to be ok though.