Who would be your candidate for president of football operations...

We have often talked of the awful hierarchy for the Jets.  We have an owner/CEO that is naive and not a great football person making all the most important decisions and has an awful reporting structure of the GM and coach being of equal power and reporting separately.   The CEO seems to be easily bs'd on important issues.  Some of us have been calling for a position of Pres of football operations.  A position like what Coughlin does in Jax.

This person would be the only one reporting to the owner/CEO and he would be in charge of hiring a GM who then with him would hire a coach who would be free to hire his own assistants.

We need a guy who has been in the league for while, older but young enough to still care and one that cannot be bs'd by a gm or coach.  (Examples of being bs'd would be mac telling our CEO he had a solid plan.)

Throw out some names as candidates for this job.

9 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I like Ozzie....but he might be retired for good

I would also consider Shanahan or Bill Cowher

Shanahan would be a dream come true

Why can't we run a combo role. Have Douglas act as president and GM. I feel having a president would just be another position for the Jets to screw up

The heirarchy will never change.

But hypothetically, if the Jets by some miracle did decide to hire a president of football operations, it would be the absolute worst candidate possible. Someone like Bruce Allen. And he would never get fired just like Bruce Allen. It would just be someone the Johnson's could hide behind for 10+ years at a time

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think it would be a mistake at this point.

You just hired Douglas, don't undermine him now by hiring someone above him. Just fire Gase and let Douglas hire his own guy. 

That is not the issue, the present structure is going to have the GM undermined immediately.  We fire Gase, CJ or woody hire another coach who reports to them separately and has the same power as the gm.  We need to get the owners out of the equation.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

That is not the issue, the present structure is going to have the GM undermined immediately.  We fire Gase, CJ or woody hire another coach who reports to them separately and has the same power as the gm.  We need to get the owners out of the equation.

Fair enough but i'm arguing for letting the GM hire the Head Coach and having the Head Coach report to the GM and the GM report to the owner.

The present structure stinks but to be honest, the owners aren't going to get out of the way. They're the owners.

• Upvote 1