Bell and Adams will be Traded this Off Season

slats

1 minute ago, CTM said:

If you think the HC who brought JD here "doesn't get any real say" in the roster you've lost it, If he doesn't get any real say he won't be here.

I was reacting to that part

Dude barely operates as more than a glorified QB Coach, with a known reputation for alienating the players at the other 21 spots on the field.  Of course he isn't going to get much say on the roster.  That was kind of the point of him bringing in a guy he trusts in the first place.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  Dude was acting like Gase "came here to win" and will be pissed if Douglas sells off assets.  When in actuality that's exactly why Douglas is here and not Macc.  

didn't say or think anything of the kind.  i don't think any coach takes a job thinking he's going to rebuild the team.  they are all impatient to win now.  even the clown down in miami wants to win but he knew going in it was going to be a complete rebuild.  and the simple fact is adams and bell can easily be part of the team's success in the near future.  it's silly to trade them unless it's a really good deal.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude barely operates as more than a glorified QB Coach, with a known reputation for alienating the players at the other 21 spots on the field.  Of course he isn't going to get much say on the roster.  That was kind of the point of him bringing in a guy he trusts in the first place.  

ok. rumor has it he left Miami because of roster disagreement with owner. There's not a HC in the NFL who has no real say in the roster. Not sure why you are so enamored with JD but hope it works out

15 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets trade Bell this offseason, they'd save over $7M next year alone, and clear up another $28M over 2021 & '22. 

Was pretty sure there was dead money when I looked at it but whatever. I'm a believer you can't  just blow up a team with a rookie QB which is what Darnols more or less is. Blow up the OL, sure, get two new DB's but we don't  neccesarily  get better by moving your best players off the team. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Terrible OL, no pass rush or corners, below average receiving group, and no team has a worse record since 2016 except the Browns.  I'd call that destitute.  

Nah. Pass rush would help the corners, or good corners helps the pass rush. OL helps the receivers, or good receiving routes helps the OL. Improve parts In one area makes another area “better?”. Put Sam’s head on Cleveland’s numb-nuts QB neck and you would have seen a lot better improvement this year AND last for the Browns. Its all about the range of parts. Ask the cheater...

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

ok. rumor has it he left Miami because of roster disagreement with owner. There's not a HC in the NFL who has no real say in the roster. Not sure why you are so enamored with JD but hope it works out

Gase is a master at playing the Jets game. He got a mulligan year and a new GM who doesn't have a timetable. Those considerations trump whether Douglas shares his vision for the team or knows what he's doing generally.

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The Patriots built their empire on free agency and discipline. They drafted a couple good players but alot of their success has come from reviving the careers of players who had not found a great deal of success elsewhere. The point here is that the draft though important is not the only way to build long-term success you need to make smart moves in free agency as well. For the record the Patriots value the safety position and locked their safety up to a long term deal.

Devin McCourty had seven interceptions as a rookie. At his current rate, Jamal Adams should get to seven by 2024 or so. The other safety they "locked up" will make $14M over the next three years. Jamal will get close to that in his fifth year option alone. 

And let's face it, the Patriots are the extreme outlier. There's never been a team like them in sports, especially in a salary-capped league. They're built on Belichick and Brady and everything else is interchangeable. 

I agree that there are many ways to build, which is why I'm also talking about cap space in this thread, but the most effective and efficient way to get better quickly is to draft really well. Adding star and/or starting players locked up for years on their rookie deals. When you have the structure of your team built like that, that's when you can add a $13M/year RB, not before. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

Nah. Pass rush would help the corners, or good corners helps the pass rush. OL helps the receivers, or good receiving routes helps the OL. Improve parts In one area makes another area “better?”. Put Sam’s head on Cleveland’s numb-nuts QB neck and you would have seen a lot better improvement this year AND last for the Browns. Its all about the range of parts. Ask the cheater...

Yes, pass rush OR corners would help one or the other.  We have neither, and those aren't easy to acquire.

The entire OL sucking is also not an easy fix, and more important than bringing in better receivers.  We brought in Le'Veon and he hasn't produced, partly due to scheme but mainly because the entire OL sucks.  

Bill Belichick is not a good example for how you build a team.  Many have tried to mimic the "Patriot way" elsewhere and it doesn't work.  Not every team can circumvent the cap and get away with it like the Pats do.  

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Was pretty sure there was dead money when I looked at it but whatever. I'm a believer you can't  just blow up a team with a rookie QB which is what Darnols more or less is. Blow up the OL, sure, get two new DB's but we don't  neccesarily  get better by moving your best players off the team. 

There's $6M in dead money, but they'd clear his $13M in guaranteed salary, thus a net savings of $7M in 2020.