If JD really wants to tear this apart, Is Darnold playing for his job these next 9 games?

38 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Before I answer your question, I'll explain what I was asking in the OP really slowly for you again, because you're so enraptured with Sam, you are always looking for perceived slights aimed at him, and find them even when they're not there.

In my premise, which isn't far fetched, along with Leo yesterday, Douglas may look to move any and all asets, such as Bell, Adams and who knows else. He probably isn't resigning Robbie, and any other expiring contracts. He is looking to acquire as many draft picks as possible, and in doing so is willing to tear this roster apart.

Keeping up so far?

That brings up Darnold, who is without question the biggest asset the Jets have. My question was, NOW PAY ATTENTION... do you think Darnold's play over these next 9 games will have any bearing on whether or not the Jets decide to keep him, or use him as another chip to rebuild this roster from the ground up? GOT THAT?

Obviously, if Darnold plays well, they'll keep him, but if he continues to struggle, would they consider it?

Now to YOUR question.

If the Jets do decide to move on from Darnold, and rebuild from scratch, here is my plan.

1. Draft OL heavily in the next two drafts

2.draft as many CBs and potential edge rushing types as possible

3 Look to draft one or two WRs, at least one of whom is a big strong target, ala a Mike Evans type

4. After I have most of that done, I look to move on from my "caretaker QB" and draft my franchise type young guy. I'm now in a position, with a solid roster, to package future picks to move up to do so if necessary.

Oh, one more thing. After I draft that guy, I don't hand him the job, with no viable competition around him (sound familiar?) I either trade for a solid veteran back up, or I draft another guy, just in case.

If "ifs and buts" were "cherries and nuts"...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Every QB in their 2nd year is playing for their job. If Sam plays at a similar level without significant improvement than JD would be as derelict as Mac was with the offensive line not to bring in legitimate competition for Sam in the offseason. Even if they believe in Sam completely, not doing so is a disservice to the team.

Regardless of Sam having to play under Gase's abysmal scheme. If he's not performing then he's got to be playing for his job. 

• Upvote 1

@14 in Green I believe if Darnold looks absolutely terrible as he has these past two games over the course of the next 6 games against teams with a combined record of 6-39, then I think Joe Douglas will start to question if the Jets do in fact have a franchise quarterback to build around. The only team in the next 6 weeks that's not considered a cupcake is the Raiders sitting at 3-4 right now. During the last 3 weeks the Jets schedule gets tougher with road games against the Ravens and Bills, both 5-2, sandwiched around a home game versus a 3-4 Steelers team who's still showing some fight for Mike Tomlin. Jets are most likely going 0-3 in weeks 15 through 17, so what happens between weeks 9 through 14 will be what makes or breaks Darnold. 

If we go 1-5 from week 9 through week 14, and Darnold's looked like he has the last two weeks, then I'd find it hard to believe Douglas wouldn't at the very least being considering all of his options to address the quarterback position in the 2020 off-season. Even if we don't draft Tua I expect Joe to bring someone in to compete with Darnold for the starting job next year. If we finish the season between 1-15 and 2-14 and end up with the top pick in the 2020 draft, and add to that Darnold continuing to regress, then I'd NOT be shocked at all if Joe Douglas channeled his Steve Keim and traded Darnold for a Rosen type deal and then drafted Tua. I really don't want to suffer through another 2 years of listening to Darnold homers tell me how it's everyone elses fault and/or he's already Patrick Mahomes. 

Week Day Date    

Opp Rec

Opp
1 Sun September 8 boxscore L 0-0   Buffalo Bills
2 Mon September 16 boxscore L 0-1   Cleveland Browns
3 Sun September 22 boxscore L 2-0 @ New England Patriots
4             Bye Week
5 Sun October 6 boxscore L 2-2 @ Philadelphia Eagles
6 Sun October 13 boxscore W 3-2   Dallas Cowboys
7 Mon October 21 boxscore L 6-0   New England Patriots
8 Sun October 27 boxscore L 3-4 @ Jacksonville Jaguars
9 Sun November 3 preview   0-7 @ Miami Dolphins
10 Sun November 10 preview   2-6   New York Giants
11 Sun November 17 preview   1-7 @ Washington Redskins
12 Sun November 24 preview   3-4   Oakland Raiders
13 Sun December 1 preview   0-8 @ Cincinnati Bengals
14 Sun December 8 preview   0-7   Miami Dolphins
15 Thu December 12 preview   5-2 @ Baltimore Ravens
16 Sun December 22 preview   3-4   Pittsburgh Steelers
17 Sun December 29 preview   5-2 @ Buffalo Bills

November 3rd, 2019 through December 8, 2019 = Career Defining Stretch for Darnold

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

@14 in Green I believe if Darnold looks absolutely terrible as he has these past two games over the course of the next 6 games against teams with a combined record of 6-39, then I think Joe Douglas will start to question if the Jets do in fact have a franchise quarterback to build around. The only team in the next 6 weeks that's not considered a cupcake is the Raiders sitting at 3-4 right now. During the last 3 weeks the Jets schedule gets tougher with road games against the Ravens and Bills, both 5-2, sandwiched around a home game versus the 3-4 Steelers team who's still showing some fight for Mike Tomlin. Jets are most likely going 0-3 in weeks 15 through 17, so what happens between weeks 9 through 14 will be what makes or breaks Darnold. 

If we're 1-5 before the last 3 games of the season, and Darnold's looked like he has the last two weeks, then I'd find it hard to believe Douglas wouldn't at the very least being considering all of his options to address the quarterback position in the 2020 off-season. Even if we don't draft Tua I expect Joe to bring someone in to compete with Darnold for the starting job next year. If we finish the season between 1-15 and 2-14 and end up with the top pick in the 2020 draft, and add to that Darnold continuing to regress, then I'd NOT be shocked at all if Joe Douglas channeled his Steve Keim and traded Darnold for a Rosen type deal and then drafted Tua. I really don't want to suffer through another 2 years of listening to Darnold homers tell me how it's everyone elses fault and/or he's already Patrick Mahomes. 

Week Day Date    

Opp Rec

Opp
4             Bye Week

November 3rd, 2019 through December 8, 2019 = Career Defining Stretch for Darnold

Yeah, I agree. I was thinking about him and this stretch also.

It's not enough that they simply beat bad teams though. He has to look good doing it if he's going to impress me.

If he doesn't look demonstrably better then Fitz, rookies like Haskins and the kid who's taking over in Cincy, what's the point?

I didn't even mention Daniel Jones because 5 or 6 weeks into his career I think he's at the very least, already on par with Darnold.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You came off like a tough guy, accused me of lying. Then you doubled down after I explained myself.

So I told you to @#$%^.

Now you post this prissy crap?   :rl:  

45 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Again,&^%$#@ and the same goes to the butt fumbling .......... who's about to get into another one of his hissy fits that will go on until the mods tell him to knock it off again. 

Settle down, Beavis. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

No, Darnold is the only reason these guys have a shot at keeping their jobs for 5+ years 

he’s the youngest QB in the entire NFL for gods sake  

We keep saying this as if it means something. The rookie contract is the rookie contract. His age is irrelevant if he's playing.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We keep saying this as if it means something. The rookie contract is the rookie contract. His age is irrelevant if he's playing.

It is really irrelevant if he's not playing.  His value comes from him being under contract.  I guess it is a minor excuse for his poor play or hope it will get better, but it doesn't make him worth any more than Mayfield or Allen.

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If the Jets really are planning to trade Adams, Bell and whoever else, and not resign Robbie, an already bad roster will be even worse. It looks like that's the plan. Tear it down and start again from scratch, basically.

Do you think they will keep Darnold around on such a bad team? It will be even harder to develop him with nobody around him.

Do you think these last 9 games are going to be a factor in whether they keep him or look to move him also? Or will they still build around him?

If they don't build around Darnold, I will be rooting for whatever team Darnold goes to.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, DJF71 said:

If they don't build around Darnold, I will be rooting for whatever team Darnold goes to.

Nah, you're a Jets fan.

You'll be upset, you'll probably always want Sam to do well wherever he plays, but you'll never stop being a Jets fan.

If we were quitters, we'd have quit this team a long time ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nah, you're a Jets fan.

You'll be upset, you'll probably always want Sam to do well wherever he plays, but you'll never stop being a Jets fan.

If we were quitters, we'd have quit this team a long time ago.

This reminds me of a story in the movie Training Day...

One day this man walks out of his house to go to work. He sees this snail on his porch. So he picks it up and chucks it over his roof, into the back yard. The snail bounces off a rock, cracks its shell all to sh*t, and lands in the grass. Snail lies there dying, but it doesn't die. It eats some grass. Slowly heals. Grows a new shell. And after a while it can crawl again. One day the snail up and heads back to the front of the house. Finally, after a year, the little guy crawls back on the porch. Right then, the man walks out to go to work and sees this snail again. So he says to it, "What the f*cks your problem.?"

Jets fans get thrown over the roof each year, and keep crawling back. What the f*cks our problem? lol

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

He’s already developed... as evidenced in the Dallas game.. and 7 other games last year. We need to build a team around him that is good enough to carry him when he isn’t firing on every cylinder. The Pats game was an aberration across the board... we’ve seen that before- remember 45-3?We lost the jaguars game because the defense let up two absurd blown TDs... deshaun Watson threw for 174 and no TDs against that jags team... at home in a dome. 

Are you Darnolds mom?  Your posts and fanboyish tendencies make me sick

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I'll go on the record: If Joe Burrow's available when the Jets pick, they will rue the day they pass on him.

Totally agree, and I'm all in on Darnold, so tough to totally evaluate him with NO running game even with Lev Bell, if that doesn't tell the story of he NY Jet so-called Oline I don't know what does, and what that does to Darnold's learning process.  Heard a stat that every yard Bell has made this year comes 95% AFTER BEING HIT hahaha.  These sacks of garbage up front accumulated by Maccagnan have basically NOT opened 1 hole for Bell to run through this entire year but of course have allowed D's to either get their hands on Darnold in milliseconds or at best still disrupt the play.

I'm not making excuses but I'd love to be able to see how Tom Brady would play in the 2019 Jet offense.  Would be highly interesting.

Joe Burrow is going to be an OUTSTANDING QB on any level...NFL..the Moon..doesn't matter.

• Sympathy 1

We are no closer to knowing whether Darnold is a FQB than we were at the end of last season. This makes 2019 a lost season. Shame.

Darnold gets another year but I wouldn’t mind drafting a QB late. The state of our backups is league-worst (like so many areas, it seems).

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Except Kyler was a better prospect than Rosen in every way and Darnold is better than Tua in every way. 

Rosen didn’t have a single game with a passer rating in the 90s his rookie year... that’s why they traded him 

Rosen had “bust” written across his eminently-punchable visage. 

I have never felt more confident predicting a first round QB would bust and that includes EJ Manuel.

5 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

you people on here are absolutely delusional....we wait 50 years to finally get a QB and you are already throwing him under a bus, albeit he has no offensive line. You are right, lets sign McKown for 10 million next year and then complain about it...UNBELIEVABLE

giphy.gif

It’s amazing how Darnold suddenly is worse than Hackenberg but Baker needs 60,000 excuses while playing on a way better team

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If the Jets really are planning to trade Adams, Bell and whoever else, and not resign Robbie, an already bad roster will be even worse. It looks like that's the plan. Tear it down and start again from scratch, basically.

Do you think they will keep Darnold around on such a bad team? It will be even harder to develop him with nobody around him.

Do you think these last 9 games are going to be a factor in whether they keep him or look to move him also? Or will they still build around him?

The time table is a legit factor to consider.  I believe we need to give Darnold protection.  But they also need to be objective, I don't want another Rex with a tat of a Sanchez jersey on his arm either.  Gase is a horrible excuse for a coach.  After the Miami loss, he needs to be replaced and JD needs to build the OL.  Admitting they are doing it wrong is the first step to recovery.

13 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

@14 in Green I believe if Darnold looks absolutely terrible as he has these past two games over the course of the next 6 games against teams with a combined record of 6-39, then I think Joe Douglas will start to question if the Jets do in fact have a franchise quarterback to build around. The only team in the next 6 weeks that's not considered a cupcake is the Raiders sitting at 3-4 right now. During the last 3 weeks the Jets schedule gets tougher with road games against the Ravens and Bills, both 5-2, sandwiched around a home game versus a 3-4 Steelers team who's still showing some fight for Mike Tomlin. Jets are most likely going 0-3 in weeks 15 through 17, so what happens between weeks 9 through 14 will be what makes or breaks Darnold. 

If we go 1-5 from week 9 through week 14, and Darnold's looked like he has the last two weeks, then I'd find it hard to believe Douglas wouldn't at the very least being considering all of his options to address the quarterback position in the 2020 off-season. Even if we don't draft Tua I expect Joe to bring someone in to compete with Darnold for the starting job next year. If we finish the season between 1-15 and 2-14 and end up with the top pick in the 2020 draft, and add to that Darnold continuing to regress, then I'd NOT be shocked at all if Joe Douglas channeled his Steve Keim and traded Darnold for a Rosen type deal and then drafted Tua. I really don't want to suffer through another 2 years of listening to Darnold homers tell me how it's everyone elses fault and/or he's already Patrick Mahomes. 

Week Day Date    

Opp Rec

Opp
4             Bye Week

This is a real thing. Three of the team's next six games are against teams who haven't won a game this year. Granted, they're probably salivating at the Jets on their schedules, too, but the Jets should be able to win most of those next six games. I think if that happens, Jet fans start to settle down a little bit. Maybe Darnold's not a bust. Maybe Gase isn't terrible. Maybe the Jets just had an already bad roster that got decimated further by injuries and suspensions that no coach or QB could be expected to overcome. 

As for Darnold, he seems to be struggling the same way he did in the middle of last season. The team sucks, and he's taking more risks than he should trying to make something -anything!- happen. And it's back-firing in a major way. He needs to get back to that ancient sports platitude and, "play within himself." He needs to focus on doing what he does well. He needs to eliminate the turnovers on early downs. There's no good reason to throw a risky pass on 1st & 10. This comes back to coaching, of course, too. Gase needs to instill in Darnold that he can throw it away there -that 2nd & 10 isn't so bad- without entirely losing his gunslinging instincts.  

• Upvote 2