Anyone remember this game?

Maxman

21 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

The Chrebet fumble was on my birthday and I remember posting on the old JI site "Thanks for ruining my birthday" After the game I remember hearing that in order for the Jets to make the playoffs the following had to happen

1) Tenn beat NE the following night on MNF

2) Jets beat NE 

3) Miami beat  NE

4) Jets Beat GB

Damn if all that didn't happen It was nuts just walking into the stadium we alot of us thought the Jets were dead cause Miami was winning most of the day. When the Pats came back and the FG was good I don't think I ever heard the stadium roar so loud

Was the Chrebet fumble in Chicago the one where he jumped & dove & had he not dropped the ball he would have spiked himself into the turf like lawn dart?

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I lived in New England at the time and actually was at the game the week before.  People forget the Chrebet drop in Chicago and how we thought we were dead because we would need Pennington to beat New England on Sunday night in Foxboro.  And he did.  It was amazing.

The next week I drove down for the Green Bay game, and the Jets used to have these tents in the parking lot with food, souveneirs, little tables, etc. and they had these flat screen TV's on with the Cleveland and New England games on-  the Green Bay game meant nothing if those two games didn't go our way first.  So I was with my friend in one of those tents, watching both those games for an hour.  Woody Johnson stopped by and wished us all well, it was nice.

Once the New England game went our way there were about 2,000 other fans who were watching TV in the parking lot, all of us racing into the stadium and cheering, we were outside the stadium and heard the roar, it was an amazing feeling.  Then the win over Green Bay.  Then the win over Indy the next week.  It was awesome.

SAR I

Didn't you post pictures of Woody, or was that a different time?

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We sucked that day in Chicago (champaigne actually as they played at the University of Illinois while they were destroying soldier Field with the renovations) but had a chance late until Wayne thought he could jump into the EZ from the 15 yard line.  Oh that was painful but it all worked out.

I believe those next 3 games were the greatest stretch in team history. Beating up NE and just crushing GB and Indy.

Brady, Favre, and Manning in consecutive weeks.  Was just magic.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

I was there. I remember contemplating whether or not to go knowing until we knew the outcome of the New England game. The stadium erupted when the highlight came on the big screen.

Then the floodgates opened and the Jets light it up.

very fun day.

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Jets have had their rough times but show me another team in the NFL that ran that gauntlet of QBs 3 games in a row?

That's what really pisses me off when a team like the Jags say the Jets are a joke. The Patriots have never had a 3 game stretch heading into the playoffs with 3 wins against QBs of that caliber in a row. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

NE wouldn't lose another game on that field until 3 seasons later

GB was fighting for homefield

Peyton was a playoff choker but we shut them out.

An amazing stretch.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetster said:

I seriously thought had he not dropped the ball to protect himself he might have broken his neck.

I don't know what he was thinking when he decided to do that.  If he was close to the EZ maybe.  We would have had about a minute left at the Chicago 15 yard line.  

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

2002 was one of my favorite seasons as a Jets fan. The meadowlands was awesome that year, and the team was a lot of fun to watch. We had no idea the Pats were on the verge of a twenty year run of domince. 

Scary, so scary. You are right, nobody had any idea. We thought, "our time was now". Guess we were wrong lol.

11 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

2002 was one of my favorite seasons as a Jets fan. The meadowlands was awesome that year, and the team was a lot of fun to watch. We had no idea the Pats were on the verge of a twenty year run of domince. 

At the time everyone thought the 2001 pats and Brady were a fluke.  I guess we were wrong??

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That was one of the glorious seasons in Jet history and we went 9-7 that year.  lol

We were really beat up early that season, we were much better than that 9-7 record.  Games 2-4 we lost by a total of 102-13, after that we started getting healthy and Chad emerged.  Incredible coaching job too keeping that team together and keeping them believing. We had started to turn the corner and then we blew a big lead to Cleveland at home, that could have sunk the season then they came out next week and crushed a really hot charger team and they took off from there.

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I was there - probably the best Jets game of my life, even better than the next week vs Indy. I'll never forget the stadium roar as the news came in about the Patriots coming back to beat the Dolphins. Favre and the Packers had no shot after that.

That team was great.

Hung in the parking lot until Pats won, and then went in. Fun day. Followed by total chaos about suddenly hosting a playoff game. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Hung in the parking lot until Pats won, and then went in. Fun day. Followed by total chaos about suddenly hosting a playoff game. 

That was another thing, I remember talking to my brother and basically saying now they are playing for the division and a home playoff game. Throughout the day it looked like our only shot would be Cleveland losing and making the WC then Cle comes back and Miami chokes and we have a chance at the division.  Crazy day, probably the craziest I can remember.  That was so much fun

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Maxman said:

We won't be able to do this in the future, no more physical game tickets.

erty.jpg

Was looking everywhere and finally found my ticket stubs from those 3 big games in 2002.

To you too young to know, that's what a Jets playoff ticket looks like.  They really do exist.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

That was my 20th birthday!

I just remember being F'd up, lying on the couch and just laughing to myself as I was overjoyed and in disbelief on how we were beating the hell out of GB and on the verge of winning the division after being 1-4!

Great day in Jets history!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2019 at 2:54 PM, shawn306 said:

The Chrebet fumble was on my birthday and I remember posting on the old JI site "Thanks for ruining my birthday" After the game I remember hearing that in order for the Jets to make the playoffs the following had to happen

1) Tenn beat NE the following night on MNF

2) Jets beat NE 

3) Miami beat  NE

4) Jets Beat GB

Damn if all that didn't happen It was nuts just walking into the stadium we alot of us thought the Jets were dead cause Miami was winning most of the day. When the Pats came back and the FG was good I don't think I ever heard the stadium roar so loud

I think 3 should read "NE beat Miami" 

52 minutes ago, papz187 said:

That was my 20th birthday!

I just remember being F'd up, lying on the couch and just laughing to myself as I was overjoyed and in disbelief on how we were beating the hell out of GB and on the verge of winning the division after being 1-4!

Great day in Jets history!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's seasons like that that keep me interested even in bad years.  You really never know what can happen.  I have to say again though that I feel terrible for Lions' fans.  They basically NEVER get that 2002 season we had.  I think they've won 1 playoff game in like the past 30 years.  Something ridiculous like that.