Gase: Results, Caveats & Fear

JetsLife

Results: past 4 years including this year his offenses have sucked.

Caveats: his 2019 offensive results should be judged off the 4 Darnold-started games, in the main. Siemian had one half and it was awful, but I'll leave that out of the equation for now.

Week 1: historically bad offensive performance. Week 6 vs. Cowboys: Great first half, awful second half. All in all a substantial positive. Week 7 v Pats: Next question. Week 8 v Jax: Semi next question.

The patient folks in here re the Gase issue - I give you credit. You made me ponder it all a little more. To me based on these 4-Darnold started games - I give him a little bit of leeway. A little.

But then I look at his *entire track record* as HC-OC and I'm left a little bit less than inspired. 

Fear: this is where I am adamant. All this talk of 'oh no, what if we fire Gase 9 weeks in to the season' or 'oh no what if we fire him after only 1 season' - oh no who will want to come here?

1000% BS. Truly elite head coaches are almost as rare as truly elite QBs. For whatever reason they don't grow on trees. But somewhere right now, there are multiple future elite NFL head coaching candidates who some team will mine. Sadly the Marx Brothers I mean the Johnson Brothers aren't the kind of ruthless diamond owners hardened through self-made fortune to recognize a champ HC from a a chump HC. Fish rots from the head.

Maybe Gase is the answer - I hope so. I don't think he is for the simple reason I see a man who on game day *coaches not to lose.* Paul Hackett-lite - can only see the field in 10-yard increments. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so.

But if at any time the powers that be decide in-season or Black Monday he's not their guy: they should stop doing the rush hire, and mine for gold and find a ruthless exacting football mind and leader of men. Emphasis on ruthless and exacting.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He will be here for a minimum of one more full year and probably more unless the team goes 1-15 or something next year.

We will waste 2 or 3 years sticking with this guy as he redoes the roster and we find out for sure he stinks as bad as he seems to so far.

just in time for Flores to get fired in Miami...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He will be here for a minimum of one more full year and probably more unless the team goes 1-15 or something next year.

We will waste 2 or 3 years sticking with this guy as he redoes the roster and we find out for sure he stinks as bad as he seems to so far.

Sad but probably true. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, JetsLife said:

Results: past 4 years including this year his offenses have sucked.

Caveats: his 2019 offensive results should be judged off the 4 Darnold-started games, in the main. Siemian had one half and it was awful, but I'll leave that out of the equation for now.

Week 1: historically bad offensive performance. Week 6 vs. Cowboys: Great first half, awful second half. All in all a substantial positive. Week 7 v Pats: Next question. Week 8 v Jax: Semi next question.

The patient folks in here re the Gase issue - I give you credit. You made me ponder it all a little more. To me based on these 4-Darnold started games - I give him a little bit of leeway. A little.

But then I look at his *entire track record* as HC-OC and I'm left a little bit less than inspired. 

Fear: this is where I am adamant. All this talk of 'oh no, what if we fire Gase 9 weeks in to the season' or 'oh no what if we fire him after only 1 season' - oh no who will want to come here?

1000% BS. Truly elite head coaches are almost as rare as truly elite QBs. For whatever reason they don't grow on trees. But somewhere right now, there are multiple future elite NFL head coaching candidates who some team will mine. Sadly the Marx Brothers I mean the Johnson Brothers aren't the kind of ruthless diamond owners hardened through self-made fortune to recognize a champ HC from a a chump HC. Fish rots from the head.

Maybe Gase is the answer - I hope so. I don't think he is for the simple reason I see a man who on game day *coaches not to lose.* Paul Hackett-lite - can only see the field in 10-yard increments. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so.

But if at any time the powers that be decide in-season or Black Monday he's not their guy: they should stop doing the rush hire, and mine for gold and find a ruthless exacting football mind and leader of men. Emphasis on ruthless and exacting.

maybe gase is trying to coach for the players he has available on the field.  much as i'd like to see the jets run the ball more it's pretty tough to do the way the oline is playing.  and in the passing game the only receiver who poses a matchup problem for defenders is demarius thomas.  herndon may also pose a good matchup once he returns.

the first drive against the jags and the cowgirls first half show that gase's offense can move the ball effectively when they're all executing.  it's when the defenses adjust that they start to flail.  that's on gase but it's also on the oline not having enough talent to adjust too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If he’s survives this year he’s on the hot seat from the get go next year.

Any and I mean any **** up, and he’s gone. So basically he’s fired already. He’s ruined Darnold and Alienated players already the same way he did in Miami. This teams going to be sh*t for some time yet. The foundation needs to be put in and that will be 3/4 of the resources for the draft and FA to fix the Oline.