Trent Williams Fails Physical

Washington Redskins
Trent Williams reveals he had cancer, blames Redskins for not recognizing it sooner
Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams reveals he had cancer
Washington Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams revealed on Oct. 31 that he had cancer for the last six years and blames the team for a misdiagnosis.
By
Les Carpenter
Oct. 31, 2019 at 7:49 p.m. EDT

Two days after ending his five-month holdout, Washington Redskins star tackle Trent Williams sat hunched in a chair next to his locker at the team’s practice facility in Ashburn. His right foot tapped nervously. He was angry, he said, furious that team doctors failed to take seriously for six years a growth on his head that was diagnosed this winter as a rare form of cancer.

“I almost lost my life,” he said.

Thursday was the first time the 31-year-old Williams has spoken publicly since the end of last season. He had instructed those close to him to not speak on his behalf in recent months, leaving only vague suggestions that he was unhappy with a medical diagnosis and had a health “scare.”

When he finally spoke, he told a far more serious story about a cancer creeping inside his skull and the fear that he might die, opening an enormous rift between the Redskins’ most-respected player and the team’s doctors and senior management that doesn’t appear likely to be closed.

The cancer, he said, is called Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans, or DFSP, a soft tissue sarcoma that develops in the deep layers of the skin. He first noticed the growth late in the 2013 season and said he asked the doctors about it then and at other times in the ensuing years as the growth continued to get bigger. Each time, he said, he was told the growth was nothing to worry about.

Only when the team finally grew more concerned with the growth this offseason and sent him to their affiliated INOVA hospital did doctors deem it to be a serious health issue, he said. Williams then went to a Chicago hospital, where he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor. In midwinter, he had surgery there to remove it.

“We literally caught it within weeks of metastasizing through to my brain to my skull,” said Williams, who added the ordeal was “a scary thing to go through” and described being told by a doctor to get his affairs in order, in case he didn’t make it.

“Think how you describe to your 9-year-old, your 5-year-old, that daddy might not be here,” Williams said. “It’s tough.”

This is why Williams was angry enough to hold out. He did not directly confirm suggestions made by friends and associates that he does not want to play for the Redskins again, but he did not sound like someone who wants to be with the team. He said no one from the team visited him during his two-week hospital stay — it had flown him to Chicago, but not back.

Thursday night, the Redskins released a statement on the matter, saying the team has requested the NFL’s Management Council convene a joint committee with the NFL Players Association "to review the medical records and the medical care given to Trent Williams. We have requested this review under the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement that provides for an independent third party review of any NFL player’s medical care.

Earlier, Williams was asked if he wants to be traded. He smiled and chuckled.

When asked if trusts the organization he said: “No, there is no trust there.”

He returned to the team Tuesday afternoon, just before the NFL’s 4 p.m. trade deadline, when it was clear he would not be dealt to another team — something he requested on June 1. By reporting then, he can claim he has fulfilled the obligations of his contract, which expires at the end of the 2020 season, allowing him to become a free agent.

Williams failed a physical Wednesday morning, when he was unable to comfortably fit a helmet on his head. He said he tried two helmets without any luck, adding that surgeons had cut out 30 percent of his scalp to remove the tumor, and that some pain remains from the two procedures to repair the wound.

more.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/31/trent-williams-reveals-he-had-cancer-says-redskins-failed-test-it-six-years/

Washington Redskins
Trent Williams reveals he had cancer, blames Redskins for not recognizing it sooner
Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams reveals he had cancer
Washington Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams revealed on Oct. 31 that he had cancer for the last six years and blames the team for a misdiagnosis.
By
Les Carpenter
Oct. 31, 2019 at 7:49 p.m. EDT
Two days after ending his five-month holdout, Washington Redskins star tackle Trent Williams sat hunched in a chair next to his locker at the team’s practice facility in Ashburn. His right foot tapped nervously. He was angry, he said, furious that team doctors failed to take seriously for six years a growth on his head that was diagnosed this winter as a rare form of cancer.
“I almost lost my life,” he said.
Thursday was the first time the 31-year-old Williams has spoken publicly since the end of last season. He had instructed those close to him to not speak on his behalf in recent months, leaving only vague suggestions that he was unhappy with a medical diagnosis and had a health “scare.”
When he finally spoke, he told a far more serious story about a cancer creeping inside his skull and the fear that he might die, opening an enormous rift between the Redskins’ most-respected player and the team’s doctors and senior management that doesn’t appear likely to be closed.
The cancer, he said, is called Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans, or DFSP, a soft tissue sarcoma that develops in the deep layers of the skin. He first noticed the growth late in the 2013 season and said he asked the doctors about it then and at other times in the ensuing years as the growth continued to get bigger. Each time, he said, he was told the growth was nothing to worry about.
Only when the team finally grew more concerned with the growth this offseason and sent him to their affiliated INOVA hospital did doctors deem it to be a serious health issue, he said. Williams then went to a Chicago hospital, where he was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor. In midwinter, he had surgery there to remove it.
“We literally caught it within weeks of metastasizing through to my brain to my skull,” said Williams, who added the ordeal was “a scary thing to go through” and described being told by a doctor to get his affairs in order, in case he didn’t make it.
“Think how you describe to your 9-year-old, your 5-year-old, that daddy might not be here,” Williams said. “It’s tough.”
This is why Williams was angry enough to hold out. He did not directly confirm suggestions made by friends and associates that he does not want to play for the Redskins again, but he did not sound like someone who wants to be with the team. He said no one from the team visited him during his two-week hospital stay — it had flown him to Chicago, but not back.
Thursday night, the Redskins released a statement on the matter, saying the team has requested the NFL’s Management Council convene a joint committee with the NFL Players Association "to review the medical records and the medical care given to Trent Williams. We have requested this review under the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement that provides for an independent third party review of any NFL player’s medical care.
Earlier, Williams was asked if he wants to be traded. He smiled and chuckled.
When asked if trusts the organization he said: “No, there is no trust there.”
He returned to the team Tuesday afternoon, just before the NFL’s 4 p.m. trade deadline, when it was clear he would not be dealt to another team — something he requested on June 1. By reporting then, he can claim he has fulfilled the obligations of his contract, which expires at the end of the 2020 season, allowing him to become a free agent.
Williams failed a physical Wednesday morning, when he was unable to comfortably fit a helmet on his head. He said he tried two helmets without any luck, adding that surgeons had cut out 30 percent of his scalp to remove the tumor, and that some pain remains from the two procedures to repair the wound.
more.....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/31/trent-williams-reveals-he-had-cancer-says-redskins-failed-test-it-six-years/

That’s awful. I wouldn’t play for them again.
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, varjet said:

The only way the NFL will work is if you play players by the snap.  Guaranteed base, plus playing time, injured or not.  Bonus for performance.  

After being abused for years the players have now been weaponized, politicized and corrupted.  The traditional NFL fan base will get frustrated. 

I know, right?

Once we start letting these SOBs have a say about their careers, they're going to screw up everyone's Fantasy Leagues and Knockout pools.

efF them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Tell Williams he makes $500k for every game he starts and finishes, and an extra $250K per game that is PFF is greater than XX.   Then give him a bonus for Pro Bowl, All Pro, Playoff appearances, Playoff wins, etc. 

I think you will see that growth suddenly go away.  

Yeah. pass me another cold one, fellow traditional NFL fan!

BTW what's the line on the Cowboys game? I'm a die hard Jets fan, but I can't watch them today, I got Buffalo +3, and I need to make up a 3 team teaser here, because, you know, I'm a traditionalist and I need action on the late games too.

BTW let's fine that damn kicker 100G's every time he misses a kick. He's not on scholarship anymore!!! Got any more Fritos?

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah. pass me another cold one, fellow traditional NFL fan!

BTW what's the line on the Cowboys game? I'm a die hard Jets fan, but I can't watch them today, I got Buffalo +3, and I need to make up a 3 team teaser here, because, you know, I'm a traditionalist and I need action on the late games too.

BTW let's fine that damn kicker 100G's every time he misses a kick. He's not on scholarship anymore!!! Got any more Fritos?

sounds like you have a new idea in mind. please share

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Not very often.  But I am asking if they should be more common.  

and somewhere up in heaven Darryl Stingley and in Pittsburgh Ryan Shazier are thanking God nobody cares what you're asking, much less get to decide.

Go unbuckle your belt, sit on the couch, pop another beer and yell at those lazy SOBs on your tv to your hearts content. It's pretty obvious you never played a sport in your life.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, ylekram said:

sounds like you have a new idea in mind. please share

Dude, don't get me started, LOL.

If ever there was a union that needed to grow a pair, it's the NFLPA. Those players are putting their bodies on the line every play. How many times do yo see them carted off on stretchers?

It pisses me off to hear some fat, never played a sport in his life "fan" say he want to "pay them by the snap".

They have the worst contracts in professional sports. They're the modern day gladiators, and we're the Roman citizens being entertained by them. God forbid one of them actually holds out or demands a trade.

Every single cent of every contract should be guaranteed, and the salary cap should be doubled. Guess what? If that happened, they'd still be underpaid. The league prints money, and uses them up and spits them out.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

36 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

If ever there was a union that needed to grow a pair, it's the NFLPA. Those players are putting their bodies on the line every play. How many times do yo see them carted off on stretchers?

It pisses me off to hear some fat, never played a sport in his life "fan" say he want to "pay them by the snap".

They have the worst contracts in professional sports. They're the modern day gladiators, and we're the Roman citizens being entertained by them. God forbid one of them actually holds out or demands a trade.

Every single cent of every contract should be guaranteed, and the salary cap should be doubled. Guess what? If that happened, they'd still be underpaid. The league prints money, and uses them up and spits them out.

holeee phuckin phuck

21 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Does he actually have a growth on his HEAD? How big is this growth? That sounds hella creepy. 

This morning I heard that the incision in his head had the diameter of a softball and needed 350 stitches and 75 staples too close. The growth was cancerous and was just weeks from getting to his brain. Until I heard that, I thought Williams was just being a drama queen, but now I have a whole new level of disdain for the Redskins...

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ylekram said:

holeee phuckin phuck

Just for a second, think of the guys on the bottom half of a roster. Not every player in the league is paid millions like Trumaine Johnson, or Trent Williams.

Then think about the average length of an NFL playing career. It’s not even 4 years. Yet these guys are taking probably more risk of injury then anyone  by playing special teams or in the trenches.

Think of how many RBs a team chews up and spits out because their bodies break down. What about LBs and safeties who use their bodies like missiles launching into other players on every snap?

Very very few players in the league are “stealing money” and very few walk away healthy. It’s a brutal game, they deserve to be compensated from the wealthiest, most profitable sports organization in the world.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Sucks we just had Osemele issue. I want Trent Williams the guy is a stud. A full almost year off for his skull to heal. I know he's 31 but I think Williams was better than Whitworth. I'd use 2020 #2 pick on him & tell him we're going guns blazing for his sidekick Scherff. Trade Adams to Dallas, draft Andrews & Biadesz & set yourself up for Williams future departure by playing Andrews at RT. Draft another Guard & WR with the 2 threes. 

Cant wait to see how JD goes about this. 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:42 AM, 14 in Green said:

Aww, you feel bad for the  poor, put upon millionaires earning generational wealth and 4 years of college to play a game nobody's forcing them to play? 

Next time I do a VES entry in a second floor bedroom of a house on fire, I'll say a little prayer for them.

I'll also talk to my buddies who are still grunts over in the ME to take up an collection for Trent William's medical care. Hopefully the 31 year old multimillionaire understands that the Redskins quaks arent the only medical practitioners in the D.C. area.....

Now, if only Trent Williams got the excellent and empathetic treatment the VA and Worker's Comp doles out to my friends....

LOL. **** that. No sympathy. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:25 AM, 14 in Green said:

and somewhere up in heaven Darryl Stingley and in Pittsburgh Ryan Shazier are thanking God nobody cares what you're asking, much less get to decide.

Go unbuckle your belt, sit on the couch, pop another beer and yell at those lazy SOBs on your tv to your hearts content. It's pretty obvious you never played a sport in your life.

I am glad I was able to spark a conversation. 

Yes, I have played sports.  I was one of the athletes of the year in high school.  I won an award for not missing a football practice in 4 years, including my last three games with a sprained knee ligament. 

The Redskins orthopedists messed this up.  I just lost my mother to melanoma.  You don’t mess with skin growths.   I just replaced my dermatologist.  

These football players do get abused.  Millions sign up for it voluntarily.  My point was more the Trumaine Johnson and probably what Kalil did.  I structure contracts for a living.  I think the incentives of the players and teams need to be aligned better.  My initial idea always had a guaranteed component for most players.  But Trent Williams is going to collect his contract without beating up his body, and the Redskins are screwed.  The only way the fix this is to trade him to another team that gives him more money up front, but if I am doing that I am holding back money until he actually plays 

I am also curious what contract Osemele signs next year.  Would you give him 100% guaranteed money?

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Aww, you feel bad for the  poor, put upon millionaires earning generational wealth and 4 years of college to play a game nobody's forcing them to play? 

Next time I do a VES entry in a second floor bedroom of a house on fire, I'll say a little prayer for them.

I'll also talk to my buddies who are still grunts over in the ME to take up an collection for Trent William's medical care. Hopefully the 31 year old multimillionaire understands that the Redskins quaks arent the only medical practitioners in the D.C. area.....

Now, if only Trent Williams got the excellent and empathetic treatment the VA and Worker's Comp doles out to my friends....

LOL. **** that. No sympathy. 

LOL seriously 

The average construction worker makes 30k a year and puts their well being on the line just as much if not more than some pro athlete. And they’re actually doing something useful.

Even bottom of the roster guys in the NFL make $400k+ a season. That’s CEO money in the real world.

I’ll never weep for these guys. They get paid big bucks to workout and play a kids game for a living.

Gladiators...lol.

That’s a helluva lot more believable for a boxer or MMA fighter than a football player.

30 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am glad I was able to spark a conversation. 

Yes, I have played sports.  I was one of the athletes of the year in high school.  I won an award for not missing a football practice in 4 years, including my last three games with a sprained knee ligament. 

The Redskins orthopedists messed this up.  I just lost my mother to melanoma.  You don’t mess with skin growths.   I just replaced my dermatologist.  

These football players do get abused.  Millions sign up for it voluntarily.  My point was more the Trumaine Johnson and probably what Kalil did.  I structure contracts for a living.  I think the incentives of the players and teams need to be aligned better.  My initial idea always had a guaranteed component for most players.  But Trent Williams is going to collect his contract without beating up his body, and the Redskins are screwed.  The only way the fix this is to trade him to another team that gives him more money up front, but if I am doing that I am holding back money until he actually plays 

I am also curious what contract Osemele signs next year.  Would you give him 100% guaranteed money?

Good post, and interesting question about Osemele.

I already said I think the NFLPA is the worst union in professional sports, and I think he's a perfect example why. 

I think most people would say no it would be foolish to give him 100% guaranteed money, and under the current CBA, he isn't going to get it. I'd answer yes, he should though, and here's why.

Any MLB, NHL, or NBA player who is in a similar situation (free agent coming off injured seasons and recent surgery), would undergo exams by team doctors. The team then would decide whether or not to sign him. If they decide to go ahead and offer him a contract, it is 100% guaranteed. They've done their due diligence and decided he is worth the risk.

In the prism of the NFL, we are conditioned not to look at it that way because of the combination of the players unwillingness to strike for and the union's inability to negotiate guarantees in the past. They've taken the short view in every negotiation and settled for  percentages of league revenue instead. That boggles my mind, because football is such a more violent sport then most others.

It seems like a catch 22 will always favor the owners however. The combination of the players not wanting to pass up a year's salary in what are usually short careers, and their get what I can now mentality makes the unions job harder I guess, and plays into the owners hands.

• Thumb Down 1

On 11/1/2019 at 7:02 AM, Tiffany980 said:

This morning I heard that the incision in his head had the diameter of a softball and needed 350 stitches and 75 staples too close. The growth was cancerous and was just weeks from getting to his brain. Until I heard that, I thought Williams was just being a drama queen, but now I have a whole new level of disdain for the Redskins...

At what point do you think Williams might have said "screw this, I have this big lump on my head and I'm going to see a different doctor"?  The Redskins Dr's are absolutely negligent but WTF was Williams waiting for?

• Upvote 1

@Jet_Engine1 an

Guys like Trumaine or Osemele make a ton of money, but what about the majority of these guys who play specials or are on the PS? The backups? They're not making millions, and they get chewed up and spit out once they get hurt. Those are the guys people never complain about.

Construction work, serving one's country or community are all honorable professions, but lets be clear. I could choose just about any healthy 20 tear old and they could be trained to perform any of those jobs. What are the odds of training that 20 year old to play in the NFL?

A player in the NFL is in the top percentile of the generation he grew up playing with. I understand when you look at the salary a star player earns, you feel little sympathy for them, but they're paid the market rate for being the the foundation a multi billion dollar industry is built on.

That's the same as a fire fighter, EMT or union carpenter, who are all highly skilled, but making a smaller amount. That's the market rate for those skills. The difference is, the football player's are generating billions by playing football. Nurses, teachers, electricians and the infantry aren't.

It may not be right, but that's how our society works. Tom Cruise makes $40 million per movie. My childhood best friend owns a siding business. He works 60+ hours a week to pay the bills.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

At what point do you think Williams might have said "screw this, I have this big lump on my head and I'm going to see a different doctor"?  The Redskins Dr's are absolutely negligent but WTF was Williams waiting for?

If I were growing another head, I would have gotten a second opinion long before Williams did. Still you'd think that an NFL team would employ the absolute BEST medical staff. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

@Jet_Engine1 an

Guys like Trumaine or Osemele make a ton of money, but what about the majority of these guys who play specials or are on the PS? The backups? They're not making millions, and they get chewed up and spit out once they get hurt. Those are the guys people never complain about.

Construction work, serving one's country or community are all honorable professions, but lets be clear. I could choose just about any healthy 20 tear old and they could be trained to perform any of those jobs. What are the odds of training that 20 year old to play in the NFL?

A player in the NFL is in the top percentile of the generation he grew up playing with. I understand when you look at the salary a star player earns, you feel little sympathy for them, but they're paid the market rate for being the the foundation a multi billion dollar industry is built on.

That's the same as a fire fighter, EMT or union carpenter, who are all highly skilled, but making a smaller amount. That's the market rate for those skills. The difference is, the football player's are generating billions by playing football. Nurses, teachers, electricians and the infantry aren't.

It may not be right, but that's how our society works. Tom Cruise makes $40 million per movie. My childhood best friend owns a siding business. He works 60+ hours a week to pay the bills.

That's all great. And accurate.  But I still don't give a ****. LOL. 

• Haha 1