The Adams Issue

12 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Why?

Kerry Rhodes first 3 years with the Jets:

10 INT’s, 8 sacks, 24 passes defended

Jamal Adams first 3 years with the Jets so far:

2 INT’s, 5.5 sacks, 21 passes defended

How the hell is this even a debate? 

And Rhodes was a 4th round pick, not 6th overall.

If Adams didn’t go around constantly beating his chest and flapping his gums then no one would give two sh*ts about him and would routinely call him out for the disappointment he’s been.

Because stats don't tell the whole story and I think people throw around a lot of exaggerations. 5 times the player is a BIG exaggeration. K.Rhodes would have to ELITE and DOMINATING coming out as a rookie to be 5 times the player Jamal is. 

If you were to say made more plays or made a bigger impact or whatever, I'd be like sure, but the amount of hate there is for Jamal on this forum and the amount that fans have completely exaggerate the lack of impact he has on the team is astounding to me. 

32 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Everyone makes fun of Rhodes, but he was terrific early in his career for us. I remember Belichek being rumored as a huge fan.

I feel like Kerry played more center field for us than Adams does, but that was two kids ago and my memory isn't what it was...

Funny, I never thought Rhodes played well except in games we were getting blown out of. I thought he compiled a lot of garbage time stats. I never remembered a play that was game breaking. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Funny, I never thought Rhodes played well except in games we were getting blown out of. I thought he compiled a lot of garbage time stats. I never remembered a play that was game breaking. 

10 int/ 8 sacks in first 3 years...adams wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

less actual play making, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more running his ******* mouth

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

That’s great, but you can’t fault the Jets for answering the phone on any player. 

The team is 2-15 in last 17 games

It would be very Jetsy and SOJ for a GM to let calls go to voicemail from other teams offering us Draft picks for somebody.

You always take the call!

• Upvote 1

Adams should watch Robby Andersons interview from yesterday. Robby is not articulate, nor does he speak as well as Adams. BUT.. Robby yesterday sounded like the captain Jamal says he is. Robby expressed relief and a sense of pride by not being traded and "still having the opportunity to fulfill his commitment, I'm not going to give up on my mission and my goal"-"thankful to still be here" 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/robby-anderson-means-the-world-to-still-be-a-jet

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Stark said:

Adams should watch Robby Andersons interview from yesterday. Robby is not articulate, nor does he speak as well as Adams. BUT.. Robby yesterday sounded like the captain Jamal says he is. Robby expressed relief and a sense of pride by not being traded and "still having the opportunity to fulfill his commitment, I'm not going to give up on my mission and my goal"-"thankful to still be here" 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/robby-anderson-means-the-world-to-still-be-a-jet

Incredibly well said!  You said it all in two sentences. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And, you think anyone's going to remember Jamal Adams any differently in a decade or more?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

And, you think anyone's going to remember Jamal Adams any differently in a decade or more?

we jet fans will remember, no one else will...as the guy who put himself in aaron donalds leagie when he wasnt even as good as rhodes....

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Bull crap. The Jets front office does not have to answer to any player, especially a guy like this who makes a great play one time and then several poor ones. He has a very high opinion of himself which I do not share. I agree that the Osemele thing was handled poorly but Adams case is different.

If the GM sat him down told him he’s the future and two days later tried to trade him I don’t blame him.

Imagine your new boss tells you your part of the future, then two days later said your out you’d be pissed.

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Apparently  his w or 3 sign plays were good enough to get him voted to the pro bowl. How many pro bowl players do the Jets have?

He is top 3 at his position and top 1 on defense for the Jets. You don't  build getting rid of your best players. Trade other players. Trade Anderson, Hell, Trade Bell if you want and draft a RB or pick up someone like Coleman as SF did. 

Let me also say, If we had a Ramsey  or Gilmore on this team, I would be ok but Adam's is the only guy on the secondary that isn't  Dog 💩

Without him, we might be 0-6 Thank goodness for him we are 1 and 5.  If I could trade him for a 1st and a 5th , I would consider it.  We need O-Line ASAP.  Love the player but a safety dictating an entire team?  Sounds Jetsy to me.

48 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Everyone makes fun of Rhodes, but he was terrific early in his career for us. I remember Belichek being rumored as a huge fan.

I feel like Kerry played more center field for us than Adams does, but that was two kids ago and my memory isn't what it was...

All of this is true.  Definitely a different position.  The knock on Rhodes was that he passed on hits, which was certainly true at times, but he was much more of a ballhawk than anything we've had at the position since. 

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It would very Jetsy and SOJ for a GM to let calls go to voicemail from other teams offering us Draft picks for somebody.

You always take the call!

Listened to him on the podium. Scared the SHlT out of me.  LOts of "You know", "Those things"...  too reminiscent of REX. 

If Darnold was out for the year then Anderson would have been crying that he wasn’t traded lol.

Glad he’s happy and I hope he continues to improve and get to his goal with us.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet pointing this simple notion out triggered the masses.  It's truly a strange phenomenon.  No wonder cult leaders are a thing.  Narcissists will always have defenders.  

who will defend like grim death..

• Upvote 1

I know this will get some blowback but I’m saying it, Jamal Adams is essentially a better version of Rontez Miles. Hard hitter, athletic, basically a small linebacker who shows limited ball skills, coverage ability average and will make mistakes while looking to make a big hit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

And you don’t see that as big a red flag as any?

Guys do not want to wast their careers on losing teams ... This has been the case forever ... See Barry Sanders or Megatron for good examples. I would love to see Jamal help turn this ship around. .. and personally I think he is influencing that change 10x as much as Gase ...   

That being said ... If the team remains a doormat I can understand him wanting out. 

All that aside ... His most recent remarks are childish and immature .. sad characteristics of the millenial mentally that is plaguing this country. The pussification of America hasn't just begun ... The reality is that it's a rampant norm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've let this kinda digest for a few days, but I hate how i'm feeling about this entire situation,

When the draft came, Adams for me was the guy I hoped for.  I was thrilled we got him.  Yes the stat sheet isn't loaded with picks, but I also don't think it can be diminished that his personality is and was infectious and helped carry that over to the team and fan base.  He is great to the fans, especially at training camp where he talked to everyone, and was always the last one signing and giving the fans a chance to meet him, and him the fans.

I understand he is a luxury for this team, and also an asset that could help speed up the turnaround and bring in the talent to address the issues where we have glaring weaknesses that are hindering our ability to put up points if Joe Douglas really is the talent spotter we hope he is as he is touted to be.

Jamal is an emotional guy, we all knew that.  Its evident when he is on and off the field, but the problem is being emotional is one thing, but being an adult is another.  Jamal is choosing to not be an adult.  He is dug in, and the only one that can talk him out of it is Jamal himself, and his confidence is also his arrogance, and I don't think it will allow him to see this big picture, and in this situation he is wrong.

For those who supported him, and he talks about being a leader, something that I believe he is on the field.  But his actions right now are showing he is the opposite.    Like i said earlier, Jamal is an infectious personality, and this will resonate with others as well if it continues.  His unwillingness to speak to Douglas shows a lack of understanding of what leadership is.  These are tough times.  Tough times build character.  This is something Jamal should be thriving in, but he is not addressing it, he is masking it, and that's not good for him the person or him the player.

If Le'Veon was sincere in his Instagram post(which I believe he was), I think he needs to get with Jamal pronto and try to bring him back in the fold.  That's what is going to help right now.

But until Jamal can get out of Jamal's way this issue is only going to fester, and become toxic.  it will affect everyone.  Him, the coaches, the team, organization, and the fans.

Jamal could easily be the glue that keeps it all together, or he could be the one that lights the fuse for the detonation.  

• Upvote 2

If Dallas offered a 1st and a 2nd and a future 2nd, he should have been traded!!   We have not won nothing with him , hes a good player not great!   We need to draft a center and a left tackle ,  o yeh and a pass rusher like Josh Allen . 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Because stats don't tell the whole story and I think people throw around a lot of exaggerations. 5 times the player is a BIG exaggeration. K.Rhodes would have to ELITE and DOMINATING coming out as a rookie to be 5 times the player Jamal is. 

If you were to say made more plays or made a bigger impact or whatever, I'd be like sure, but the amount of hate there is for Jamal on this forum and the amount that fans have completely exaggerate the lack of impact he has on the team is astounding to me. 

Umm, that is what I said. You even quoted it.

“A guy like Kerry Rhodes had 5x the on the field impact of Jamal Adams"

I’ve been defending him the whole time. While I absolutely think he is a real good player and ( one of the best safety’s I’ve witnessed in my Jet life - dating back to right around 1980). He is just that- “ real good”.- not elite. Having said that..... I’m done defending him now. I’ll of course still root for the laundry and won’t go out my way to slam him - but he needs to grow up. 
Also - perhaps stop thinking he is in the class of Brady or Donald because he’s not.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Point out those signature plays please.  And quantify this notion of being "all over the field" as well. 

It sounds like I'm asking a lot of you and other Jamal supporters but it really shouldn't be that hard to do.  Instead all we get is that he plays with "fire" and is "flying around out there".  That's great.  Quantify it.  

It’s hard bc I don’t memorize game plays and don’t put too much stock in interceptions or fumble recoveries. Both tend to be circumstantial and based overall defense like having a pass rush etc. he usually makes 2-3 big plays a game and last I heard PFF was gushing about his performance while being surrounding by a bone dry sh*t front 7

6. JAMAL ADAMSNEW YORK JETS

2018 OVERALL GRADE RANK: 2

PFF has poured ample praise onto Adams in recent months. He landed at No. 20 on PFF’s list of the 101 best NFL players in 2018 and was named to our list of the top-25 players under 25 years old, as well. He graded out as the third-best safety in football behind Eddie Jackson and Derwin James while earning grades of 77.0 or higher in all four facets of our defensive grading system in 2018. If we see another year similar to his sophomore campaign in 2019, Adams will undoubtedly fly up this list in 2020.

4. JAMAL ADAMS & MARCUS MAYE, NEW YORK JETS

Jamal Adams exploded onto the scene as one of the league’s most versatile safeties a season ago. He played 137 snaps at edge defender, 172 snaps as a slot cornerback, 40 snaps as a wide cornerback, 489 snaps in the box and 281 snaps as a deep safety, and he earned grades north of 77.0 in all four facets of our defensive grading system. He produced a pressure rate of 28.2% as a pass-rusher — third among the 19 safeties with at 25 pass-rushing snaps — and he allowed a passer rating of just 67.3 on throws into his primary coverage.

Marcus Maye only managed 393 snaps in 2018, but he sure made his time on the field count. Through six games, Maye earned an impressive 81.7 overall grade thanks to strong showings in all facets of the game. However, he shined in coverage, where he allowed just 0.08 yards per snap and a catch once every 106.5 snaps while in coverage.

48 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Guys do not want to wast their careers on losing teams ... This has been the case forever ... See Barry Sanders or Megatron for good examples. I would love to see Jamal help turn this ship around. .. and personally I think he is influencing that change 10x as much as Gase ...   

That being said ... If the team remains a doormat I can understand him wanting out. 

All that aside ... His most recent remarks are childish and immature .. sad characteristics of the millenial mentally that is plaguing this country. The pussification of America hasn't just begun ... The reality is that it's a rampant norm.

It's a red flag because he doesn't want (and isn't talented enough) to be part of the reason it turns around.

Go out, work hard, and make a few ******* plays, and perhaps things would get better.

We'd be in playoff contention if Jamal Adams was as good as Jamal Adams (and some Jets fans) think he is.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

if Jamal Adams was as good as Jamal Adams (and some Jets fans) think he is.

He didnt cover on Jags 1st TD and then whiffed on a sack that turned into a 70 yd TD.

he needs to just STFU.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The pussification of America hasn't just begun ... The reality is that it's a rampant norm.

i got my hand slapped for saying pussification. BEWARE!!!

;-)

58 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Guys do not want to wast their careers on losing teams ... This has been the case forever ... See Barry Sanders or Megatron for good examples.

jamal cant carry these guys jockstraps....

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Apparently  his w or 3 sign plays were good enough to get him voted to the pro bowl. How many pro bowl players do the Jets have?

He is top 3 at his position and top 1 on defense for the Jets. You don't  build getting rid of your best players. Trade other players. Trade Anderson, Hell, Trade Bell if you want and draft a RB or pick up someone like Coleman as SF did. 

Let me also say, If we had a Ramsey  or Gilmore on this team, I would be ok but Adam's is the only guy on the secondary that isn't  Dog 💩

* Pro Bowl Alternate

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

If the GM sat him down told him he’s the future and two days later tried to trade him I don’t blame him.

Imagine your new boss tells you your part of the future, then two days later said your out you’d be pissed.

Except that's not what happened.  You do realize Jamal is making a lot of sh*t up here, don't you?  He told Ryan Clark hours before the deadline that he wanted to play for the Cowboys for crying out loud.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Adam's is the only guy on the secondary that isn't  Dog 💩

I can get with Adams Aint Dohgschitt.

I hold him in that regard,

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

He didnt cover on Jags 1st TD and then whiffed on a sack that turned into a 70 yd TD.

he needs to just STFU.

When you really think about it, is Adams any different than an over hyped Eric Smith?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except that's not what happened.  You do realize Jamal is making a lot of sh*t up here, don't you?  He told Ryan Clark hours before the deadline that he wanted to play for the Cowboys for crying out loud.  

The GM sat down with him that’s a fact. I have no problem with the GM trading him. I have a problem with him blowing smoke up Adam’s butt. Then trying to trade him. Douglas needs to be more like Bill Belichick, and don’t be the players friend.

So if he has to trade him, trust isn’t lost and the locker room doesn’t turn toxic.

Bill Belichick doesn’t flatter guys, he’s all business.