playtowinthegame

UPDATED 12/4/19: Ed Oliver vs Quinnen Williams

It sucks that I'm here already but I can't wait for the offseason 

13 minutes ago, SR24 said:

It sucks that I'm here already but I can't wait for the offseason 

I was ready as soon as Sam got mono.  Welcome to the club!

• Like 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I was ready as soon as Sam got mono.  Welcome to the club!

I posted Joe Douglas' drafts with Philly in the other forum about him you should check it out. It's encouraging 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Sack Totals, Def Snaps

Ed Oliver: 1 sack in 272 Def Snaps

Quinnen Williams: .5 sacks in 211 Def Snaps

Ed Oliver with a half  sack more than Quinnen Williams. What a beast.

8AB21CDE-3F17-4BF0-B883-7F486E885D54.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I posted Joe Douglas' drafts with Philly in the other forum about him you should check it out. It's encouraging 

A few things though.  Joe Douglas was not the gm in Philly so he did not make the picks.  You really do not know how much influence he actually had.  Secondly, Adam Gase hired joe Douglas.  So adam gase is going to be the one making these picks.  

This franchise is run by Adam Gase.  Every buck stops with him.  And he was not good in that role in miami.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A few things though.  Joe Douglas was not the gm so he did not make the picks.  You really do not know how much influence he actually had.  Secondly, Adam Gase hired joe Douglas.  So adam gase is going to be the one making these picks.  

This franchise is run by Adam Gase.  Every buck stops with him.  And he was not good in that role in miami.

I know he wasn't the one making the final decisions but regardless he was still heavily involved in what looks like multiple successful drafts with a smaller amount of picks. Not saying he's our savior but it's a good sign. I have no problem with Gase outing MM and neither should anyone on here. Also didn't it come out in the offseason that Gase doesn't want roster control? Regardless MM should never be in a front office of an NFL team again unless he's cleaning it with a cleaning company. We can all blame Gase because most people didn't want him but realistically our records the same with Matt Rhule,Mccarthy, Harbaugh, Monken etc. Gase's play calling has been awful 100% but blaming him for this season that's been plagued by injuries while his Oline looks like a bunch of CVS cashiers is a little unfair imo.  

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A few things though.  Joe Douglas was not the gm in Philly so he did not make the picks.  You really do not know how much influence he actually had.  Secondly, Adam Gase hired joe Douglas.  So adam gase is going to be the one making these picks.  

And you don't know either so pipe down.

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Also didn't it come out in the offseason that Gase doesn't want roster control?  

You are smart enough not to believe a word out of adam gase's mouth.  He hired douglas so he can have complete control.  

Chris Johnson didnt go out and hire a gm to oversee the roster and the coach.  he let the coach hire his best buddy to be a yes man for him.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

And you don't know either so pipe down.

Yes i do.  Anyone who knows football does.  he wasnt the gm therefore he did not make the picks.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You are smart enough not to believe a word out of adam gase's mouth.  He hired douglas so he can have complete control.  

Chris Johnson didnt go out and hire a gm to oversee the roster and the coach.  he let the coach hire his best buddy to be a yes man for him.

I think it's much too early to tell but that fact that most fans are rooting for the guy to fail is asinine. He's the guy we've got right now and we gotta hope he's the guy we were sold on. If he sucks after a year with a somewhat competent OL than i'll be right there with ya man but I'm gonna give it a little more time. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing.  We all knew the best options on draft day were Josh Allen, trading down for OL, or Ed Oliver.

Macc takes the worst option instead.  

No way Macc ever gets another job. I friggin hate Charlie Casserly for recommending him. Every time I see him on TV, I change the channel. His analysis is worthless to me based on his recommendation of Maccagnan. 

I wish we could've just followed one of the mock drafts. Even a draft some kid created in his mom's basement would've been better.

Painful

• Upvote 2

Time for Williams to show what we all saw at Alabama last year.  We can't have

another DT who "does dirty work"

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

Time for Williams to show what we all saw at Alabama last year.  We can't have

another DT who "does dirty work"

He’s gonna be great after we draft Chase Young. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing.  We all knew the best options on draft day were Josh Allen, trading down for OL, or Ed Oliver.

Macc takes the worst option instead.  

There were a lot of people, myself included, who just flat out wanted Oliver at 3. I will admit I read too much into some of the advanced metrics and was blah on Allen, and probably overhyped Oliver. now, to be clear, DL is not an easy position to come in and dominate at, so this still needs to play out for a few years. Allen would look good rushing the passer for us right now though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The guy they should have talken is Josh Allen, not Ed oliver

Right. The Ed Oliver comparison is ridiculous. They're both interior DL (not the position you take) and they've both had very disappointing rookie campaigns. Zero point in comping them at this point.

The guy it looks like they should have taken is Josh Allen, who looks like a very good if not elite pass rushing OLB, a position we haven't had a player at since John Abraham.

24 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He’s gonna be great after we draft Chase Young. 

While I might pull my hair out if we draft defense again, Chase Young might be the exception. He's been an absolute monster this year, and I agree, Chase Young and Quinnen Williams playing side by side would be terrifying.

45 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The guy it looks like they should have taken is Josh Allen, who looks like a very good if not elite pass rushing OLB, a position we haven't had a player at since John Abraham.

That's the way I was leaning as well....      I mean, I have seen some of Allen and he's on a much better UNIT

and he's gotte at buncha coverage sacks but....       no denying that he defo looks like he'll impact games more than Q ever will going forward....

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

What i interpret out of this is that it's very rare to have a largely impactful DT. May not want to draft that position in the top 5 picks 🤔, but hey i'm just a poster here. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BroadwayBen said:

What i interpret out of this is that it's very rare to have a largely impactful DT. May not want to draft that position in the top 5 picks 🤔, but hey i'm just a poster here. 

If you draft a DT that early, he'd better be an elite athlete.  Oliver was in the 99th percentile among NFL players in overall athleticism.  Quinnen was in the 83rd percentile.  

By comparison, Leonard Williams was in the 47th percentile.  

• Upvote 2

On 11/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

If you draft a DT that early, he'd better be an elite athlete.  Oliver was in the 99th percentile among NFL players in overall athleticism.  Quinnen was in the 83rd percentile.  

By comparison, Leonard Williams was in the 47th percentile.  

Updated Stats for Q vs Ed

Ed Oliver ------------ 5 sacks, 7 QB Hits, 28 tackles, 16 Solo, 4 Tackles for Loss, 1 Forced Fumble, 408 Def Snaps.

Quinnen Williams - 1.5 sacks, 4 QB Hits, 23 Tackles, 12 Solo, 3 Tackles for Loss,  1 Fumble Recovery, 411 Def Snaps.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Ed Oliver ------------ 5 sacks, 7 QB Hits, 28 tackles, 16 Solo, 4 Tackles for Loss, 1 Forced Fumble, 408 Def Snaps.

Quinnen Williams - 1.5 sacks, 4 QB Hits, 23 Tackles, 12 Solo, 3 Tackles for Loss,  1 Fumble Recovery, 411 Def Snaps.

It would be interesting to see how many pass rush downs each have been in for. I suspect the 9-3 Bills have been in a lot more pin your ears back type situations than the 4-8 Jets

2 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

I don't like either of them, and would have passed on both.

Damn ed oliver is becoming a beast on thanksgiving he ripped the guard and got a strip sack. Then made all-pro travis frederick his b**** on a bull rush

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsbaby93 said:

Damn ed oliver is becoming a beast on thanksgiving he ripped the guard and got a strip sack. Then made all-pro travis frederick his b**** on a bull rush

Meanwhile our fat kid in braces, gets man handled by the Cincinnati’s third string Oline. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Quinnen > Oliver. You'll see by next season biatches.

But its unfair quinnen is a run stuffer. oliver is all round can give you both 

Just now, Jetsbaby93 said:

But its unfair quinnen is a run stuffer. oliver is all round can give you both 

Quinnen has a ceiling that has yet to be met. Dude could very well be an all pro in 3 years. Look how Foley Fatukasi and Shepherd have improved since last year.

17 minutes ago, Jetsbaby93 said:

I've been tearing QW a new one in recent posts, but just to keep it real, Frederick is having a bad year and Oliver is playing on a defense that has several really good pass rushers and an excellent secondary. That certainly helps with the sacks. But yeah, he is making QW look bad.

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Quinnen has a ceiling that has yet to be met. Dude could very well be an all pro in 3 years. Look how Foley Fatukasi and Shepherd have improved since last year.

He is not a pass rusher. At bama he was just stronger then everyone guys like q williams become stuffers in the leauge just like Leonard Williams. Which we all hated but comparing the tape and stats i personally see no difference. Oliver undersized yes but pure explosion off the line he is starting to round his technique out so he doesn't get swallowed up by big lineman scary dude 

2 minutes ago, Jetsbaby93 said:

He is not a pass rusher. At bama he was just stronger then everyone guys like q williams become stuffers in the leauge just like Leonard Williams. Which we all hated but comparing the tape and stats i personally see no difference. Oliver undersized yes but pure explosion off the line he is starting to round his technique out so he doesn't get swallowed up by big lineman scary dude 

Could be right. That said run stuffers become probowlers too. Just like Snax Harrison.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are you surprised he's out performing Q. Will on less snaps with his SPARQ scores?

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Could be right. That said run stuffers become probowlers too. Just like Snax Harrison.

And i agree if we get that from him then picking him third would be justified. having a guy anchoring the line is very important for a stout defense 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, Jet Nut said:

They’re junior GMs who actually believe you can scout with YouTube and combine numbers.  And love reaching for the last second media favorite.  Sometimes it works like with Mahomes.  Most times it’s Oliver

So, most of the time we are right? 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, Y2jets said:

No way Macc ever gets another job. I friggin hate Charlie Casserly for recommending him. Every time I see him on TV, I change the channel. His analysis is worthless to me based on his recommendation of Maccagnan. 

I wish we could've just followed one of the mock drafts. Even a draft some kid created in his mom's basement would've been better.

Painful

That is why you hate Charlie Casserly and change the channel?  I hate Charlie Casserly and change the channel because of his "hair" and inability to pronounce simple words.