The next 5 moves Jets’ Joe Douglas must make with NFL trade deadline now past

Apache 51

The next 5 moves Jets’ Joe Douglas must make with NFL trade deadline now past

Today 6:24 AM 
Jets’ Jamal Adams was 'hurt' by Joe Douglas’ trade calls

shares

Joe Douglas laid the very start of the groundwork for his rebuild this week, when he dealt defensive lineman Leonard Williams to the Giants.

But there’s still plenty of work to be done.

The Jets’ general manager is going to have his hands full this offseason, trying to flesh out the roster via free agency and the draft.

Before Douglas even gets to that point, though, he has to make a few key moves in order to clear cap space, cut some dead weight, acquire more assets or bolster some spots.

Now that the NFL trade deadline is past, these are the next five moves Douglas should be looking to make:

1. Extend wide receiver Robby Anderson

Douglas didn’t deal Anderson, so at this point he’d better keep him around. Otherwise, there’s a good chance he’s going to get nothing at all for him when he walks away in free agency; that would make the decision not to trade him look terrible, bordering on malpractice. There is no guarantee Douglas will get a compensatory pick if Anderson signs elsewhere, given how many big free agents he needs to sign. By keeping Anderson around at the deadline, Douglas has more or less hitched his wagon to the wideout. It’s time to pony up.

2. Trade safety Jamal Adams

At this point, it’s pretty clear that the Jets’ relationship with Adams is fractured. He’s a great safety, no doubt, but he’s probably not worth the headache anymore. After this week, Douglas probably wishes he’d just bit the bullet and done a deal at the deadline. He’ll have to settle for trading him before or during the draft instead. Luckily, he’ll still return a strong haul, given he has two years left on his rookie deal (when you include the fifth-year option).

3. Cut cornerback Trumaine Johnson

This one is an absolute no-brainer. Johnson flat out stinks. He’s been terrible for his entire Jets tenure and there is no reason to believe he’s going to get any better. It will be painful for Douglas to cut him – he’ll incur $12 million in dead money – but he’ll at least save $3 million against the cap, considering Johnson is set for a $15 million hit. There’s no way the Jets can justify keeping him around at this point. They need to clear out the cornerback position and start over. 

4. Cut right guard Brian Winters

This Jets offensive line is obviously broken. Winters has been a key part of the struggles. He has no guaranteed money left on his deal, so Douglas can cut him without any cap penalty. So, this should be a simple move. If the Jets cut Winters and let both left tackle Kelvin Beachum walk and center Ryan Kalil walk when their contracts expire, suddenly they have plenty of open room on the offensive line. It won’t be easy for Douglas to fill those spots, but it needs to be done.

5. Cut linebacker Avery Williamson

This is harsh, but makes sense. Williamson is a solid linebacker, but there’s no sense in keeping a 28-year-old who hasn’t played in more than a year and is due to take up $8.5 million against the cap. Douglas can save $6.5 million and eat just $2 million by cutting Williamson instead. That frees him up to get a younger, healthier option to pair alongside C.J. Mosley, who now has injury issues of his own. Returning two inside linebackers who both missed basically the entire 2019 season would be insanely risky.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

I would extend Anderson also (assuming his contract expectations are reasonable)

I would hope as time goes on Jamal Adams will calm down. Also hoping with the easier schedule the Jets have going forward a few wins will also improve Adams mindset.

i would love to cut Johnson after the season but am not sure of the cap implications. Mac gave Johnson a ridiculous contract.

I agree with the last two points unconditionally.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  Hes only going to be the hottest young HC candidate this offseason but sure, you know what you are talking about.

Who is? The guy whose name you either can’t remember or never bothered to learn in the first place? What do you think is his best trait as a coach—the yelling or the fist-pumping?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Who is? The guy whose name you either can’t remember or never bothered to learn in the first place? What do you think is his best trait as a coach—the yelling or the fist-pumping?

He is the bald beast.  He fist pumps like Pauly D on a Friday night.  Those 2 traits already make him better then worthless gase.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, dbatesman said:

I take it back. This is the distillation, right here.

Im not doing the research for you.  You look at his background, look what he is currently doing on the field and listen to people much smarter then you who know the game.

The guy is the real deal and should be our number 1 target this offseason.

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's the having of two legit edge rushers.

• Upvote 4

trading adams depends on the right deal.  it's a business after all.  he's young enough so that he can be a very good player well into the future and the jets have control over him a short money for the next two seasons.  the issue is whether or not the jets feel they can be competitive next season or 2021 by the latest.  if not then a trade makes more sense.  cutting trumaine, winters, willamson make sense.  they're going to have to eat a bunch of salary cap but having a slug like trumaine on the team is disgusting.  as for anderson, it's all too easy to make the excuse that he hasn't had a decent qb or offense to play with.  true enough.  he needs to be judged for what he does on the field.  if he keeps running his routes, isn't afraid to block, and catches most of the balls then he deserves to be re-signed.  not at no. 1 receiver money but certainly high enough for what he brings.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yup.  Hes only going to be the hottest young HC candidate this offseason but sure, you know what you are talking about.

Or maybe you think we should keep gase.  But i dont even think you are that clueless.

Will he not hotter or less hot than hot Brian Flores was last year? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

I don’t think we will have to break the bank to re-sign Robbie and I think he’s done everything necessary to get a 3 year deal. Still has holes in his game but without the threat of the deep ball you can camp 8 defenders at the LOS every down and whoop on our cardboard house of an OL 

Depends on what you mean by breaking the bank.

He’s certainly not getting $18 million a year like Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, etc.

But I fully expect him to ask for $11-12 million a year similar to what Tyrell Williams received from Oakland last offseason.

Is he worth it?

I have my doubts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know how you make the estimation that Flores is better than Gase right now. 

Gase is a 4th year head coach and Flores is a rookie coach.  The fact your are desperately trying to convince yourself that gase is better then a guy whos coached 8 games in pathetic.  Wake up dude!

I agree with all of these, by the way, except I’m restructuring Avery Williamson instead of cutting him outright. Cashman has made some plays, but overall he’s been awful, and Williamson + Mosley would be a great ILB corps. Give Robbie his 3/$30 with a bunch of outs if he gets arrested inside of those three years. He’s a talented dude, but can’t be a #1. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase is a 4th year head coach and Flores is a rookie coach.  The fact your are desperately trying to convince yourself that gase is better then a guy whos coached 8 games in pathetic.  Wake up dude!

I’m saying that you can’t determine if either one is better than the other. They’ve both been bad.