Just for fun - Which of these previous Jets Head Coaches would you want today?

If you had to replace Adam Gase with a previous Jets HC who would you pick?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to replace Adam Gase with a previous Jets HC who would you pick?

• Herm Edwards
    • Eric Mangini
    • Rex Ryan
    • Todd Bowles

On 11/1/2019 at 6:36 PM, MichaelScott said:

Letting Rex make his draft picks was Tanny's ultimate downfall. Imagine what we could have accomplished if Rex had nothing to do with drafting. we were a very good team with the players inherited from Mangini. With each passing year of giving Rex our first round picks, we got worse and worse. 

It wasn't just the picks that did Rex in. Rex is the fun, once a month daddy visits, parent. Parents like Rex only work if you have another real parent doing the heavy lifting while Rex runs his mouth from the couch as he eats bon bons. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Gase has along way to go to equal Pete Carroll's 6 wins as HC of the NYJ.....

Well  theres a lot of winnable games left on the schedule

The question was previous HCs, so Carrol was someones pick, not comparing Gase to anyone.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, Integrity28 said:

Politics. Look at the influence Kraft and Bill have around the league. Do the math.

I guess Cleveland and SF ignored the politics? And his failures in both places was really a vast Kraft / Goodell conspiracy 

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Considering Pete Carol was loser here and Mangini built nothing, pretty good post.

Wow. We didn't give Carroll much a chance and his subsequent stops have been pretty impressive.

Mangini developed a ton of talent and drafted well. If Favre doesn't get injured he goes to playoffs 2xs too.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Mangini was a good team builder but a good coach? No people skills - kind of important when you're trying to be a leader of men. I'm surprised he's winning this poll.

Is he perfect, def no. But if the role of a Coach is to improve and develop players I think he definitely did that with several of our guys. 

That said, he's not in the league so you are right that ultimately his personality is not a fit for the gig. 

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

beat me to it.  walt built those early 80's teams.  had he stayed on instead of going with walton those jets teams would've been much better.

I honestly think we had the chance to go to multiple Super Bowls with the talent on those teams. Walt would have gotten us there.

• Upvote 1

i went with rex because i think he was way more capable than the other guys of getting the team ready on game day.  he knew how to press the buttons even if he still had issues with in game decisions.  mangini, imo, was more suited to be a gm.  he knew what kind of team he wanted to build and what kind of players he needed but i didn't get the feel he had a good relationship with the players.  not that the coach needs to be the player's best friend but it not clear if they respected him.

but my first selection would've been walt michaels had he been a choice.  walt built those early 80's teams and knew how the game was supposed to be played.  his teams were tough.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

None of the above.

But given the options,  they are all losers, at least Rex was entertaining and triggered T0m. Rex and Adam's united might finally send him over the edge, which would be fun to watch.

This would be me, three games into a Rex/Adams Jets administration: joaquin phoenix smile GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

I guess Cleveland and SF ignored the politics? And his failures in both places was really a vast Kraft / Goodell conspiracy 

Cleveland? Why would Bill or Bob try to influence a set up to fail situation?

SF, he was a TE coach. He went from DC, HC, HC to TE coach, because that's all that teams were willing to offer. I'm not talking about a conspiracy, you nit, I'm talking about influence and tarnished reps. It doesn't take much for two guys that pretty much own the league right now to put a negative slant on the credibility of a guy they don't like. Same thing happened with Jim Fassell. It's not like this is the only time, I'm just point a finger at where the influence probably comes from. 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

SF, he was a TE coach. He went from DC, HC, HC to TE coach, because that's all that teams were willing to offer. I'm not talking about a conspiracy, you nit, I'm talking about influence and tarnished reps. It doesn't take much for two guys that pretty much own the league right now to put a negative slant on the credibility of a guy they don't like. Same thing happened with Jim Fassell. It's not like this is the only time, I'm just point a finger at where the influence probably comes from. 

He also just plain doesn't get along with people. Which at the end of the day is as much of a dealbreaker as Rex being a big fat stupid circus clown.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

HackenApe

Apenberg

Which one do you like better? I'm flexible

On 11/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, ryu79 said:

Wow. We didn't give Carroll much a chance and his subsequent stops have been pretty impressive.

Mangini developed a ton of talent and drafted well. If Favre doesn't get injured he goes to playoffs 2xs too.

He lost the team and they quit.  He sucked, he was a failure in NE.  
He’s had one NFL success

Mangini drafted well on Dan stays land.  GMs draft.  

if pigs had wings they’d fly

On 11/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, Integrity28 said:

Mangini sucked in Cleveland, was an overrated DC in New England, and he sucked as a DC in SF

He didn’t just suck here

On 11/1/2019 at 8:45 AM, jetstream23 said:

If you had to replace Adam Gase with a recent, previous Jets HC, which of these would you pick?

• Herm Edwards (too many BBQs)
  • Eric Mangini (too tight, too much "process")
  • Rex Ryan (too loose, too much bragging)
  • Todd Bowles (no pulse or passion)

The correct answer is clear.

We would take ANY of them right now.