‘Jets Don’t Have Players’ - WFAN’s Chris Moore

JetsLife

Paraphrasing what he said on air recently. His further point here was, teams that are bad like the Jets: who on their roster would you trade for? Which players would you even want from their team? And the players you want, what you give up for them? When you think about it, it’s not many currently healthy Jets I’d want and not much I’d give up for them.

It seems fair stating it’s very difficult judging Gase under these circumstances - ie a top-heavy roster, with poor depth, depleted by injury. And a sieve o-line. But I’m on record I have serious doubts about his capability regardless. Seems way too conservative, playing not to lose, predictable, zero tempo. I haven’t seen any kind of consistently creative, dynamic, flowing, aggressive play design and play calling. Keeping opposing defenses off balance. Like you see w a Josh McDaniels or an Andy Reid as just two examples. 

It’s truly unfortunate that: Darnold went down early w mono; the offensive line was so lacking period & got hit by a few injuries; no Herndon and essentially the same w Enunwa. Because again it’s difficult making a truly balanced assessment of Gase under such circumstances.

Overall with all the injuries across the board there’s much truth to Moore’s comments: the current Jets starting roster is lacking in players you’d event want on your team. Never a good recipe for being a winning outfit. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2

Thing is, the team is lacking depth. And we knew that from the start of the season. With all the injuries this team has had, from a starting QB and 2nd backup, 4 starting LB's, starting TE, the loss to Enunwa, Maye being out, the OL starters in and out, not too mention a horrible Trumain Johnson.  Is it any wonder how this team even beat Dallas?

Chris Moore is an idiot - lacking depth is their problem.  Give me a team that had all their starters intact , after 6 games, let me know what takes place. But we'll never know.

• Upvote 3

Adams, Maye, Anderson, bell, Mosley (when healthy), Darnold, quinnen, Jenkins, Crowder? All names from the Jets rosters other teams would be interested in? The money might scare teams away from Mosley, Crowder and bell but still players teams would not mind on their roster. Leo would have made the list too but he has already been traded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Adams, Maye, Anderson, bell, Mosley (when healthy), Darnold, quinnen, Jenkins, Crowder? All names from the Jets rosters other teams would be interested in? The money might scare teams away from Mosley, Crowder and bell but still players teams would not mind on their roster. Leo would have made the list too but he has already been traded.

Oh and Herndon

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

It seems fair stating it’s very difficult judging Gase under these circumstances - ie a top-heavy roster, with poor depth, depleted by injury. And a sieve o-line. But I’m on record I have serious doubts about his capability regardless. Seems way too conservative, playing not to lose, predictable, zero tempo. I haven’t seen any kind of consistently creative, dynamic, flowing, aggressive play design and play calling. Keeping opposing defenses off balance. Like you see w a Josh McDaniels or an Andy Reid as just two examples.

This week, I think they are down 4 starting O Linemen, their #1 TE, and their # WR.   This on a roster that was bottom 3rd of the league to start with.

That being said, Gase hasn't done much to elevate what he has, but I do agree, it is difficult to assess the job he is doing

• Upvote 1

I think they have way below average talent to start with. They spent a lot of dough in the off-season for less than mediocre players. Had they not had all of the injuries this year, I think they might be 2-5 right now instead of 1-6. That's not much of a swing, and wouldn't put them in contention at this point or amy point. Until there's a wholesale revamp of the team, I fear we are in for more of the same in the foreseeable future.

Isn’t Chris Moore the guy who up and decided he wasn’t a jets fan last week and jumped on the packers bandwagon? Yeah, I’ll take that guys opinion seriously...

Honestly, the talent level is average to a little below. That’s what happens when your drafting is crap for the better part of a decade. If Joe D can do better, the team will rally a bit. If he can’t, well we know the rest.

Bellichik is just a hoody wearing shlump who has been lucky enough to have fantastic players every year for 20 years with no injuries ever.

Talent level is bad we all know that.

Gase is still a bad coach because he is not even remotely  getting the best or anything out of the talent that is there.

Give him a bunch more talent and the team will win more games but he is still a bad coach and the team will not reach the end goal.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

injuries happen and this team does suck, but still there's no excuse for being embarrassed every week 

at least look competitive 

I think the theme of this thread is that we all suspect that Gase is not the right guy for the job but the roster was so awful and then injury and sickness ravaged that we cannot make a fair judgment of Gase in 2019 so he gets at least another year. 

That is also an easier conclusion to make since the Johnsons are not going to want to eat another contract, and it will be hard to get a another real coach in here until coaches see a Front Office that has their act together. 

I support this path, but everything I have seen from Gase on the Jets this year has shown me a coach not getting the best of the players that he has (even if they are bad) and lacking the ability to relate to and motivate the players of this generation.  Kenyon Moore the other night was not good supporting evidence for Gase.

The injuries also support a strengh and conditioning program that is not doing the job, and perhaps players faking it for a coach they don’t care about. 

So yes, we will give Gase another year.  Darnold will get extended before showing what he really can do-the Jets will follow the Stafford model, but hopefully get their act together before Darnold’s third contract.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The jets have average talent.  A good coach would have this team around .500.  But adam gase is awful hence the 1-6 record.

Totally disagree here. Way below average on Oline, corners, and most importantly, team speed. We have a roster that only opponents could love. This may be the worst overall talent I can ever remember the Jets having, and I'll be 62 in a month and have had season tix for 40 years.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Bellichik is just a hoody wearing shlump who has been lucky enough to have fantastic players every year for 20 years with no injuries ever.

Talent level is bad we all know that.

Gase is still a bad coach because he is not even remotely  getting the best or anything out of the talent that is there.

Give him a bunch more talent and the team will win more games but he is still a bad coach and the team will not reach the end goal.

You’re going to have to give Gase a few good players before we know this for sure, however 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Thin Maccagnan roster to begin with, injury report as long as the phone book, impossible to judge Darnold or Gase under these circumstances. Just have to hope we get the wounded back into action soon so we can understand where we are for next season. 

SAR I

Uh, what about those alphas CJ and Gase telling Macc what to do?

To this roster “top heavy” as the OP did is a long stretch. Bell, Mosley, Adams are the only players that have played great, consistently for multiple seasons, and who are still good. Mosleys been out all year.

After those 3 there are question marks everywhere. Maybe the win-loss record can’t be judged on Gase...

But the embarrassing no-show, lack of cohesion, dysfunctional effort and performance can absolutely be blamed on Gase.

Think about this, each player on our roster has performed worse this year than year’s past. In Gase’s HC career, players have consistently gotten worse and major injuries have followed his teams. You say bad luck?

I say good head coaches hire good strength and conditioning staff. Good coaches hire good position coaches that match the training regimes to the style of play for each position and unit.

There’s so much that goes into being a head coach. It’s plain and simple. Gase is horrendous.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Totally disagree here. Way below average on Oline, corners, and most importantly, team speed. We have a roster that only opponents could love. This may be the worst overall talent I can ever remember the Jets having, and I'll be 62 in a month and have had season tix for 40 years.

Worse than the 1995 or 1996 Jets?  Also, I did a comparison of the 1997 roster vs the 1996 roster and I marked in red the players that weren't there the year before (note that I did this manually so there might be mistakes).  It's absolutely amazing what Parcells/Belichick did with that 1997 team.  There still wasn't that much talent on that roster yet they almost went 10-6 and to the playoffs.  

image.thumb.png.dd3529a75d2295f858bc35731dc3e2f3.png

image.thumb.png.d2e0c43435f4eb8e5a94b18cdcb1b727.png

image.thumb.png.f8ffb37552cb2884d17cba808b9e908f.png

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well by the logic you used before ("You’re going to have to give Gase a few good players before we know this for sure, however "), how do we know for sure?

How do we know that Bowles was bad? There was enough peripheral information about him to deduce as such: we know he pushed for Fitzpatrick, we know he pushed for McCown, we know that the Pepper Johnson article was spot-on, and we all saw what the defense looked like year after year under his personal friend Kacy Rodgers. The caveat is that every Maccagnan draft under Bowles was an outright travesty and not one of them helped Bowles in the slightest. And we know from this year's roster just how bad those drafts really were, and we know that Gase and Douglas have to rebuild from that. I have no doubt Todd Bowles will get another HC gig because the league knows how bad Maccagnan was, and we should afford Gase and Douglas more than seven weeks to correct the many sins of the prior regime. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

How do we know that Bowles was bad? There was enough peripheral information about him to deduce as such: we know he pushed for Fitzpatrick, we know he pushed for McCown, we know that the Pepper Johnson article was spot-on, and we all saw what the defense looked like year after year under his personal friend Kacy Rodgers. The caveat is that every Maccagnan draft under Bowles was an outright travesty and not one of them helped Bowles in the slightest. And we know from this year's roster just how bad those drafts really were, and we know that Gase and Douglas have to rebuild from that. I have no doubt Todd Bowles will get another HC gig because the league knows how bad Maccagnan was, and we should afford Gase and Douglas more than seven weeks to correct the many sins of the prior regime. 

Only the dumbest of the dumb would push for Joe D to be fired at this point.  Gase certainly deserves the year IMO but if he stinks it up (e.g. goes 2-14 with a loss to Miami), I'd have no issue if they fired him at that point (though I think there's very little chance of that happening).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Only the dumbest of the dumb would push for Joe D to be fired at this point.  Gase certainly deserves the year IMO but if he stinks it up (e.g. goes 2-14 with a loss to Miami), I'd have no issue if they fired him at that point (though I think there's very little chance of that happening).

I'd only fire Gase if Joe Douglas *knows* he can get a better guy. For example, let's say that Jim Harbaugh makes it known that he wants out at Michigan and--for some weird Harbaugh reason--wants to coach the Jets, then go right ahead and push Gase out. But I don't think you can reasonably fire Gase after one year and then try to convince another candidate that the exact same fate doesn't await them, too. Guys work their entire lives for a shot at an HC gig; you don't set fire to all that work and all those years to take a job where you can get thrown out after a year when you fired the GM in May for gross incompetence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'd only fire Gase if Joe Douglas *knows* he can get a better guy. For example, let's say that Jim Harbaugh makes it known that he wants out at Michigan and--for some weird Harbaugh reason--wants to coach the Jets, then go right ahead and push Gase out. But I don't think you can reasonably fire Gase after one year and then try to convince another candidate that the exact same fate doesn't await them, too. Guys work their entire lives for a shot at an HC gig; you don't set fire to all that work and all those years to take a job where you can get thrown out after a year when you fired the GM in May for gross incompetence. 

I'd fire him if we could get Harbaugh or, ideally, Urban Meyer.  There are probably a few other good candidates out there as well.  The key thing is finding the right HC/OC for Sam going forward.  Rebuild the OL, get Sam some weapons and put the right coaching staff in place.  That's what the focus should be going forward.

• Upvote 1

giphy-20.gif.c8c3fa96ec66e13f58ae2a73145e13d9.gif

- Incompetent, stupid, weak Ownership

- Jets essentially ignore O line for 10 years

- Jets essentially ignore Offense for 15 years at top of the draft

- Idzik completely craps out on 12 pick draft, fired

- MacCagnan and staff demonstrates zero talent at identifying talent, and take the laziest path possible in Round 1 for 5 years  aside from 2018 trade up 

- Team Drafts 2 Safeties, 2 DTs, and an ILB in top of drafts  ignoring CB, WR, or ER

- Todd Bowles builds non-aggressive, no accountability culture on top of the undisciplined sh*tshow of Ryan

- Mangold and Brick both retire, seeing the writing on the wall

- Neil Glatt stages literally the worst event ever undertaken by a major Corporation after terrible new uniforms already got leaked and mocked mercilessly on social media and internet.

- Adam Gase of all people gets hired, and promptly forgets to take his ritalin or whatever for his introductory press conference and makes total ass of self and organization, and destroys goodwill and credibility almost immediately. This follows a poor showing in Miami, where organization decides to tank following his stint.

- Ownership allows terrible GM to run offseason and draft,  GM has disastrous draft, refuses to bring in a legitimate Center and ownership then FIRES the GM. 

- Injuries begin to wear away at already thin roster. 

- Injuries continue.

- Desperation and poor C play leads team to coax Ryan Kalil out of retirement. Kalil clearly not physically able to play. 

-Enunwa has likely career ending injury immediately after new contract. 

-Mosely injured

-Darnold gets Mono, FFS

-Herndon gets hurt coming off IR, FFS.

- Undermanned, neglected O line can't block, THEN loses Osemele (**** that guy), Beechum, Shell, and Kalil. LOL. 

- Entire ILB corps gets hurt.

- No Pass rush, terrible secondary.

It's the Perfect Storm. This year was inevitable. Blaming Gase is like blaming the Chief Engineer for sinking the Titanic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2