NYC: An Observation

Warfish

Just finished spending four days in NYC, in Manhattan.

I did not see a single piece of Jets gear being worn. Not one. I saw no Jets gear in store windows either. None. 

Saw lots of Yankees, Mets and Giants gear worn. Saw quite a bit of Philly gear. Some Patriots gear. Plenty of Rangers gear. 

But no Jets gear.

Made me a little sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Jets are a Long Island/Jersey team. Midtown Manhattan is a soulless, corporate douche-hole filled with fake Yankee poseurs who occasionally wear an Eli Manning jersey. Whenever you go to NYC, jump in an Uber or into the subway and don’t get out until you’re below 23rd street or beyond Central Park. 

How about your thoughts on the “new Brooklyn”

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just finished spending four days in NYC, in Manhattan.

I did not see a single piece of Jets gear being worn. Not one. I saw no Jets gear in store windows either. None. 

Saw lots of Yankees, Mets and Giants gear worn. Saw quite a bit of Philly gear. Some Patriots gear. Plenty of Rangers gear. 

But no Jets gear.

Made me a little sad.

makes sense you are in manhattan? The fan base is in Long Island, Queens, Staten Island and Jersey

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets are a Long Island/Jersey team. Midtown Manhattan is a soulless, corporate douche-hole filled with fake Yankee poseurs who occasionally wear an Eli Manning jersey. Whenever you go to NYC, jump in an Uber or into the subway and don’t get out until you’re below 23rd street or beyond Central Park. 

If I never go to Midtown again, it'll still be too soon. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

I worked at 11 W41st for a few years. Loved everything about it 

When? I knew Manhattan well in the 1990s - early 2000's and enjoyed everywhere but the Disney Times Square/Midtiwn area. I went back in 2011 for an extended visit and the MT/Times Squate area was like being in a theme park pretending to be NYC. It was weird. 

I still love Lower Manhattan, but all my family are either in Rockaway (where I'm from), or other parts of LI. I have sone family in SI, but I haven't spoken to them in 20 years because of "family politics ", but I have about 70 first cousins so I have plenty of family to go around....lol

I did the FDNY hiring process post 9/11 and was offered a job  but when I factored in everything (my age, cost of living, pay etc) it wasn't worth leaving my current department. How different my life would have been if I took that job.....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Oh I heard they did two sets of Robert Hunter songs, Nice.

It was great. Only bummer was a lot of negative vibes on night one. Never saw that at shows down my way, people almost getting into fist fights over sh*t. Otherwise great time, especially the spectacular set list night two. We had a great time.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I see random Jet gear in the suburbs of Philly. I would not put much thought in this.

I see more Jets stuff in South Florida (Palm Beach co. and Treasure Coast) than I do Dolphins stuff. But I see bandwagon Pats sh*t everywhere.  And I call people out on it. LOL. Everyone has a "good friend" or a cousin that lives in "Boston" (the Florida term for all of New England ) that "got them into the Patriots when they were young". Douchebags. Soulless, mindless douchebags.  The lot of them.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've been to Washington state, Montana, California and Hawaii.  I've seen Maine from New Brunswick.

If I ever make it to NYC I'll be one of those dumb tourists you see just standing there looking up wide eyed at all the tall buildings.

Don’t do it. There’s nothing sadder than the sight of a tourist standing in 51st and Lex looking up at the buildings wondering why they just gave an Ethiopian tour bus operator $100 American dollars to drive them in a four block circle through Times Square. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t do it. There’s nothing sadder than the sight of a tourist standing in 51st and Lex looking up at the buildings wondering why they just gave an Ethiopian tour bus operator $100 American dollars to drive them in a four block circle through Times Square. 

But the Ethiopian bus driver told me he was really a prince and if I gave him an extra $100 for legal fees he would share his royal wealth with me.