Sign in to follow this  
Joe the Breadman

Could Gase realistically be fired Monday?

4 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

In the real world he's fired.....   But this is the New York Jets world so, no.  He will not only finish the year.   He will be back next year

Remember when the 49ers fired Kyle Shanahan last year?

• Thumb Down 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm starting to think that @T0mShane enjoys the board imploding so he wants the Jets to keep Gase to watch the world burn

All of these things are true: 

1. Gase has given the franchise a hundred reasons to fire him tomorrow.

2. If you fire Gase right now, after firing Maccagnan in May, and especially after the Adams nonsense this week, literally zero head coaching prospects will come within 5,000 miles of even interviewing for this job. You have to give Gase time to make the case against himself, which isn’t entirely the case right now. 

3. If you fire Gase and are forced to hire your third or fourth choice for HC after the year, you are stuck with that loser for a minimum of four years. If you hire Jay Gruden, or Mike McCoy, or Ken Whisenhunt, that’s the guy Douglas lives or dies with—his third choice guy. 

4. if you keep Gase and give him one offseason and you still suck next year, you (1) give the appearance that you gave him a fair chance, (2) you’ve given Douglas a chance to add some attractive pieces to the roster this spring. It’s simply a more attractive job than it will be this year if you dump Gase due in large part to glaring insufficiencies in Maccagnan’s roster 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Dude what? Kyle Shannahan was the OC for a Super Bowl team, who if not for an epic meltdown would’ve blown the Patriots out of the building.

Adam Gase has never as much as had a top 20 offense...

I don’t think Gase is as good as Shanahan. I’m saying you can’t dump a head coach too soon. I’m not saying you give him four years, but you also can’t give him seven games.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Think it's pointless to fire him until week 17. There may come a point he asks out. 

But he does himself no favors with his "I got a secret" not talking to anybody. Again, no benefit to pretending to be screaming Rex Ryan, it's not who Gase is. But you cannot be this removed form all this. 

He seems really contrite and reasonable in the post game. It’s the right tone, as he’s giving these sharks in the room nothing to chew on

Just now, DLJ said:

The 49ers didn’t hire Gase the first time around because Baalke got word he was an epic dick. He instead went to Miami.

The fact of the matter is Gase is no Shannahan and the 49ers for all their ills is ran way better than we are. This team stinks from top to bottom.

This team stinks! It’s true! But it would stink regardless. I predicted a 2-8 start. They suck now and they sucked in May. They’re getting nothing from their last five draft classes right now! Zero! That’s amazing! 

Bart Scott is useless on these shows. He’s apologizing to “kids” because Gase used a “curse word.” Get checked for CTE, Bart, and stop making weird Kardashian references 

Bart and Ray Lucas has been predicting this team was going to revolt for the last six weeks and it hasn’t happened yet. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

There is one problem with theblast part. Miami is actually trying to lose games and Gase is supposed to be trying to win. If you can't  beat a team that is intended  throwing games, you have no place being g a HC. 

How did he beat the Cowboys?

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Scott breaking chops about Gase using a cuss word in 2019 when he was Rex's pet is a bit much. 

Can’t wait for him to lose that WFAN contract so he ends up begging for work in Baltimore 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Good question

Can you believe this team beat one of the best teams in the NFC and lost to Miami?

I really can’t believe it, to be honest. Very weird season

Just now, jbone said:

Respectfully, Tom, this type of argument isn't really accurate with positions of this type. There's only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. The shear derth of opportunity basically guarantees there will always be interested candidates and people with egos who think "this time will be different with my unique skillset and abilities". Jets can't really do much to hurt their reps at this point. If Joe Douglas is really respected as much as everyone around the league says, he shouldnt have a hard time finding the candidate he wants. Timing of the firing wouldn't have much of an impact. 

Jbone, here’s the thing: the Jets job has been one of 32 coaching jobs since 2002 and think about the people we’ve been forced to hire. The only one of those hires that we had to compete for is Todd Bowles. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jbone said:

I completely agree Tom. Which in a way sort of supports my argument, no? Whatever the Jets decide to do with Gase, it won't really have a material impact on who they can potentially hire. It's been the same challenges going back two decades. Except now, we allegedly have a guy at the helm in Joe Douglas who is widely respected. A guy who potential head coaching candidates might actually look at and say I feel comfortable working for him.

That’s the big difference this time: they have a respected GM who has a six year, $6 mil per deal who’s allegedly in control. His first move is going to be to oust a coach after he’s been on the job six months? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

Cowboys were w/o their starting O-tackles and WR#1 receiver - and they still almost put the game into OT

Coincidentally, the Jets are without three starting offensive linemen, their star TE, and their #1 WR

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jbone said:

GMs make hard decisions sooner or later and each case is different.  At a high level, a GMs job consists of two areas (1) hiring coaches and (2) player / roster management. So naturally, yeah, ousting a coach the GM didn't hire could be seen as a fully rational act given what is happening.

Especially when it's a coach on his second chance with a large enough sample size to start making certain assumptions about what you can expect from him going forward. In my view, and I think a lot of potential HC prospects would agree, the timing of the firing is a lower order consideration on the pros and cons of taking the job. 

How is one year with a roster where he picked, maybe, three of the 53 a large enough sample size? 

Just now, pointman said:

Not true. Its an NFL head coaching job. We might not have big time names lining up but we will have many people wanting an interview. Many of which will be far superior to Adam Gase.

You want Douglas to be able to get his first choice guy, not his fifth choice guy, regardless of whether or not you think that guy is going to be better than Gase

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Its an NFL head coaching job.

This talking point drives me nuts, and it should drive anyone nuts who has ever gone through a Jets coaching search where they get hung up on by more guys than they interview

1 minute ago, jbone said:

You are smart enough to know the context of my post did not imply this.

I think it’s where we disagree, however. I don’t think you’re convincing a candidate to risk his career with this franchise if you cut Gase’s throat after seven games, or even sixteen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

Reality is that there are only 32 positions available. There will be many applicants, many of with great resumes. In that minefield, there will be plenty of good safe spots to land on. We just happen to always step on the biggest turd bombs there are. 

This has never been true of the Jets job in my lifetime. Antarctica is one of seven continents. Nobody is choosing to move there 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Something happened between then and now:  the New England game. It shattered Donald’s confidence and he’s not the same player who beat Dallas. 

Post-Cowboys, Beachum went down, Edoga went to OLT, Darnold went to squash. 

• Upvote 1

Not to interrupt the masturbation in here, but has anyone noticed what’s happened to the Chicago Bears since their OL blew up? 

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

They must have a hall of fame coach since we all know once you have OL injuries you cant compete.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They’re not competing since their OL went to hell, and they started the season as a considerably better team than we are or were 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Khalil move was desperation. JD gets here, sees the OL is  a mess takes a shot on a former Pro Bowler. Have a hard time blaming the guy for trying to fix things on the fly. 

Kalil was first team all-pro three years ago, to boot

If you’re into conspiracies disseminated by assclowns (not me), well

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Really? Because Trubisky is a total shot show. Last I checked they are way more competitive than we are.

Like Darnold, Trubisky’s performances have declined as the OL has gotten more beat up. And they should be more competitive than we are because they have better players at almost every position 

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

dude..  you are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

I heard what I heard.  Nevertheless this sh*tty roster is Macs. His legacy. I hope he's proud while counting his money. Make no mistake I was rooting for him and liked him initially. What a disaster.

He wanted Rhule because Rhule was the one guy without the cachet to threaten Maccagnan’s job, but he wanted to hedge on Rhule by hiring Gregg Williams at DC in case Rhule blew up. Gase was the fallback when Cleveland passed on him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

So let me ask you this way since you cant seem to accept that the Bears with a horrible QB are more competitive than the Jets are. Are the Jets better or worse than last season? What players did the Jets lose that makes them worse than last season?

The Jets got “better” at ILB and RB, and the ILB died and the RB has been undone by the OL, which has gotten exponentially worse. My turn: which players who took the field for the Jets today starts for the Bears? 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Glad you're beginning to acknowledge that the injuries are the main culprit to this disastrous season.  Your boy Gase would be looking pretty good right now had he had the team Macc intended on fielding.

I love you like Jamal loves Manish

16 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Their OL is basically the same personnel as last season. And it played much better last season. I am not taking your bate on the Bears any more. Fact is this offense performed a million times better under Bates/Bowles with basically the same personnel. The defense otoh has probably performed better than last season.

I’m not trying to bait you with the Bears. My only point with the Bears was that even the best teams can be reduced to rubble if the OL goes to hell, and naturally they’re more competitive because they have better players across the board.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

This offense has better personnel than last season

I mean, who?

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Manish is 100% correct.

arrested development spoilers GIF

You know who’s having a bounce back season and you could probably convince to take this awful job? Darrell Bevell

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Were you aware that Gase turns the team meetings over to Joe Vitt when it's time to fire up the troops?

Who does Belichick turn to when it’s time to fire up the troops, George Patton? 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you dump him tomorrow, then what? Who do you hire? Williams' unit is not doing much better. 

Would reek of desperation. You do not change coaches like that. It's how we got here. Could very well be Gase will be sacked after week 17, but you gain nothing doing it now. Except you will further confirm this job is a dead end and the ownership are a-holes. 

Worse. It’d look like you fired Gase at the behest of Jamal Adams

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Seriously? Try telling that to Jets fans (and analysts) who want Gase fired now.

Journalism 

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company