Could Gase realistically be fired Monday?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Bart Scott is useless on these shows. He’s apologizing to “kids” because Gase used a “curse word.” Get checked for CTE, Bart, and stop making weird Kardashian references 

Scott breaking chops about Gase using a cuss word in 2019 when he was Rex's pet is a bit much. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All of these things are true: 

1. Gase has given the franchise a hundred reasons to fire him tomorrow.

2. If you fire Gase right now, after firing Maccagnan in May, and especially after the Adams nonsense this week, literally zero head coaching prospects will come within 5,000 miles of even interviewing for this job. You have to give Gase time to make the case against himself, which isn’t entirely the case right now. 

3. If you fire Gase and are forced to hire your third or fourth choice for HC after the year, you are stuck with that loser for a minimum of four years. If you hire Jay Gruden, or Mike McCoy, or Ken Whisenhunt, that’s the guy Douglas lives or dies with—his third choice guy. 

4. if you keep Gase and give him one offseason and you still suck next year, you (1) give the appearance that you gave him a fair chance, (2) you’ve given Douglas a chance to add some attractive pieces to the roster this spring. It’s simply a more attractive job than it will be this year if you dump Gase due in large part to glaring insufficiencies in Maccagnan’s roster 

There is one problem with theblast part. Miami is actually trying to lose games and Gase is supposed to be trying to win. If you can't  beat a team that is intended  throwing games, you have no place being g a HC. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bart and Ray Lucas has been predicting this team was going to revolt for the last six weeks and it hasn’t happened yet. 

This seems like one of those games where it really could happen though. This was baaaaaaad.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

There is one problem with theblast part. Miami is actually trying to lose games and Gase is supposed to be trying to win. If you can't  beat a team that is intended  throwing games, you have no place being g a HC. 

How did he beat the Cowboys?

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. If you fire Gase right now, after firing Maccagnan in May, and especially after the Adams nonsense this week, literally zero head coaching prospects will come within 5,000 miles of even interviewing for this job. You have to give Gase time to make the case against himself, which isn’t entirely the case right now. 

3. If you fire Gase and are forced to hire your third or fourth choice for HC after the year, you are stuck with that loser for a minimum of four years. If you hire Jay Gruden, or Mike McCoy, or Ken Whisenhunt, that’s the guy Douglas lives or dies with—his third choice guy. 

4. if you keep Gase and give him one offseason and you still suck next year, you (1) give the appearance that you gave him a fair chance, (2) you’ve given Douglas a chance to add some attractive pieces to the roster this spring. It’s simply a more attractive job than it will be this year if you dump Gase due in large part to glaring insufficiencies in Maccagnan’s roster 

Couldn't disagree more with points 2 and 3.  The hypothetical that no one will come within 5,000 miles is nothing more than a cop out.  Any coach that is worth coming here can tell in 2-minutes that Gase is in over his head and sucks.  They know he deserves to be fired.  It actually shows organizational competence to fire this fool.

If someone is scared away from the job they shouldn't be our coach.  Plain and simple.  You don't turn around a historically bad franchise by being a sissy and afraid of big challenges.

Think big.  Let's not talk ourselves into this notion.  Go get the coach we all deserve.  Rhule works.  Lincoln Riley works.  Harbaugh works.  But that's for another day.  Right now...get this fool away from our team.  He doesn't deserve to be our HC.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's hard to know what Douglas can do..He has a good pedigree, but so do a lot of GMs who end flaming out. However, it's the exact right move to fire Gase and let Douglas hire the next coaching staff. If only to fix the stupid coach and gm are equal and report to johnson power structure. 

The trouble is Gase lobbied for Douglas and they have a relationship. I can’t imagine him firing gase if it’s his decision 

58 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

I dont think its outside of the realm of possibility 

Five years of Herm and five years of the wooden Indian and you actually think Gase gets fired during his first year? Consider the players - and I use that term loosely - that he has to put out on the field. Quite simply they SUCK ass.

• Sympathy 1

if u are so inclined u can good the post I put when the jets hired gase-I told you he was the worst hire ever and people defended gase who had just be fired for being terrible in miami-fans the same folks defended mac defended hackenburg defended trying to build a team by going defensive back back to back

gase is worse than kotite and if u defend gase u are part of the problem

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Respectfully, Tom, this type of argument isn't really accurate with positions of this type. There's only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. The shear derth of opportunity basically guarantees there will always be interested candidates and people with egos who think "this time will be different with my unique skillset and abilities". Jets can't really do much to hurt their reps at this point. If Joe Douglas is really respected as much as everyone around the league says, he shouldnt have a hard time finding the candidate he wants. Timing of the firing wouldn't have much of an impact. 

Just now, jbone said:

Respectfully, Tom, this type of argument isn't really accurate with positions of this type. There's only 32 of these jobs in the entire world. The shear derth of opportunity basically guarantees there will always be interested candidates and people with egos who think "this time will be different with my unique skillset and abilities". Jets can't really do much to hurt their reps at this point. If Joe Douglas is really respected as much as everyone around the league says, he shouldnt have a hard time finding the candidate he wants. Timing of the firing wouldn't have much of an impact. 

Jbone, here’s the thing: the Jets job has been one of 32 coaching jobs since 2002 and think about the people we’ve been forced to hire. The only one of those hires that we had to compete for is Todd Bowles. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Clear, concise, level headed explanation. I'm with you when the zombies hit...

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Jbone, here’s the thing: the Jets job has been one of 32 coaching jobs since 2002 and think about the people we’ve been forced to hire. The only one of those hires that we had to compete for is Todd Bowles. 

I completely agree Tom. Which in a way sort of supports my argument, no? Whatever the Jets decide to do with Gase, it won't really have a material impact on who they can potentially hire. It's been the same challenges going back two decades. Except now, we allegedly have a guy at the helm in Joe Douglas who is widely respected. A guy who potential head coaching candidates might actually look at and say I feel comfortable working for him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jbone said:

I completely agree Tom. Which in a way sort of supports my argument, no? Whatever the Jets decide to do with Gase, it won't really have a material impact on who they can potentially hire. It's been the same challenges going back two decades. Except now, we allegedly have a guy at the helm in Joe Douglas who is widely respected. A guy who potential head coaching candidates might actually look at and say I feel comfortable working for him.

That’s the big difference this time: they have a respected GM who has a six year, $6 mil per deal who’s allegedly in control. His first move is going to be to oust a coach after he’s been on the job six months? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

Remember when the 49ers fired Kyle Shanahan last year?

Are comparing Gase to Shanahan?   Are you saying the jets need to give Gase time?   

Yes we have suffered tons of injuries, something Gase had an issue with in Miami so something to look into, yes the OL can't play to save their lives, yes we have no pass rusher, yes we average, at best, CBs

IDK those 49er's looked like they were playing for Shanahan.  This team looks unprepared week in and week out. 

I wouldn't disagree but I just don't see a team responding to this coach.  If a coach losses the locker room he's done. Shanahan never lost the locker room

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The guy shouldn't be allowed to enter the locker room after the game let alone get on the team plane.

Tonight!

Everyone should send emails Addressed to Chris Johnson , call and ask to speak to Chris Johnson. Tell him he made a mistake. It happens. But correct it now! Gase must go now!  His franchise is on the verge of ruining their hope of finally having a franchise QB. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s the big difference this time: they have a respected GM who has a six year, $6 mil per deal who’s allegedly in control. His first move is going to be to oust a coach after he’s been on the job six months? 

GMs make hard decisions sooner or later and each case is different.  At a high level, a GMs job consists of two areas (1) hiring coaches and (2) player / roster management. So naturally, yeah, ousting a coach the GM didn't hire could be seen as a fully rational act given what is happening.

Especially when it's a coach on his second chance with a large enough sample size to start making certain assumptions about what you can expect from him going forward. In my view, and I think a lot of potential HC prospects would agree, the timing of the firing is a lower order consideration on the pros and cons of taking the job. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not true. Its an NFL head coaching job. We might not have big time names lining up but we will have many people wanting an interview. Many of which will be far superior to Adam Gase.

3 minutes ago, jbone said:

GMs make hard decisions sooner or later and each case is different.  At a high level, a GMs job consists of two areas (1) hiring coaches and (2) player / roster management. So naturally, yeah, ousting a coach the GM didn't hire could be seen as a fully rational act given what is happening.

Especially when it's a coach on his second chance with a large enough sample size to start making certain assumptions about what you can expect from him going forward. In my view, and I think a lot of potential HC prospects would agree, the timing of the firing is a lower order consideration on the pros and cons of taking the job. 

How is one year with a roster where he picked, maybe, three of the 53 a large enough sample size? 

Just now, pointman said:

Not true. Its an NFL head coaching job. We might not have big time names lining up but we will have many people wanting an interview. Many of which will be far superior to Adam Gase.

You want Douglas to be able to get his first choice guy, not his fifth choice guy, regardless of whether or not you think that guy is going to be better than Gase

Just now, T0mShane said:

You want Douglas to be able to get his first choice guy, not his fifth choice guy, regardless of whether or not you think that guy is going to be better than Gase

I don't know if keeping Gase around to the end of the season, or through 2021 will make that be a realistic situation.