Could Gase realistically be fired Monday?

Just now, BettyBoop said:

Chris Johnson, who admittedly went AWOL for two years, pulled his head out of his ass and found himself in this position. After eight games this team is the worst in the league.  There are no good choices here.  Consider:

• The offensive genius who Johnson hired has been a disaster.  The OL is the worst I've ever seen with basically the SAME players from last year.  How is that possible?  The guy is abrasive and has a personality disorder and has rubbed everyone the wrong way.  The wheels are off and there's no way to put them back on.
  • So do you fire Gase mid-season?  In January?  Some say that would give the appearance of a dysfunctional franchise.  Seriously???  Does anyone think this ISN'T a dysfunctional franchise?  The bottom line is no one wants to work for the Johnsons.  No one.  It started with Bellichick and the napkin and nothing has changed.  
  • Do you keep Gase for another season for consistency and appearances?  I just can't imagine what this fanbase and reporters would be like in season two of this schitshow.  
  • What about Douglas?  He hasn't had much to work with but the one main move he's made has been terrible.  $8mm for Kalil who is actually worse than Spencer Long and Harrison.  That's $8mm that could have been carried over to next year.  Everyone is jumping up and down about getting a third round pick for Leo, but Mac got a second and a serviceable player for Sheldon.  I'm hopeful he's better than Mac and Idzik but all we have to base that on is his 'pedigree'.  Let's imagine for a moment that he isn't the guy to turn this team around.  Chris Johnson, being prodded by Gase, gave him a SIX year, $6mm per, deal!  
  • While much has been made about the appearance of firing a coach after eight games or one season, the real problem with this organization is Johnson insisting that the coach and the GM both report to him.  It doesn't matter if it works for other organizations, having Chris or Woody Johnson making football decisions is the reason we are where we are today.

The only hope here is for Douglas to be the miracle worker many say he is.  If he's not, there needs to be an intervention by the league, ala, George Young and the Giants.

The Khalil move was desperation. JD gets here, sees the OL is  a mess takes a shot on a former Pro Bowler. Have a hard time blaming the guy for trying to fix things on the fly. 

• Upvote 1

Gase brought in Douglas and has 3 years left on his contract 

the Jets took a ton of heat for the timing of the maccagnan firing 

lots of injuries, mono, 3rd stringers starting 

Gase by all accounts should be safe   

But

Jets ownership was over patient with Rex and Bowles, I’m sure they aren’t thought  of as trigger happy among agents and coaches 

Outside of wins obviously coaches are judged on players effort, preparedness, discipline and fundamentals    Gase fails in all these areas 

at some point ownership has to demand and expect winning  

you could sell firing gase as trying to protect darnold from further regression and getting a head start on the search and ending the culture of accepting losing 

might not happen this week but with the redskins and bengals coming up, soon 

• Upvote 1

Should, Could , and would are the real questions. 

Should - yes - the team is unprepared, our OLine horrible, our QB has regressed, and we never make adjustments 

Could - yes - we’re 1-7 with some hope of competing 

Would - doubt Chris Johnson does this mid season especially since I’m not sure who becomes O coordinator 

Best case - JD becomes head of football operations with Johnson’s focusing more on the business side 

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Really? Because Trubisky is a total shot show. Last I checked they are way more competitive than we are.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Like Darnold, Trubisky’s performances have declined as the OL has gotten more beat up. And they should be more competitive than we are because they have better players at almost every position 

Like Darnold, Trubisky’s performances have declined as the OL has gotten more beat up. And they should be more competitive than we are because they have better players at almost every position 

So let me ask you this way since you cant seem to accept that the Bears with a horrible QB are more competitive than the Jets are. Are the Jets better or worse than last season? What players did the Jets lose that makes them worse than last season?

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

dude..  you are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

I heard what I heard.  Nevertheless this sh*tty roster is Macs. His legacy. I hope he's proud while counting his money. Make no mistake I was rooting for him and liked him initially. What a disaster.

He wanted Rhule because Rhule was the one guy without the cachet to threaten Maccagnan’s job, but he wanted to hedge on Rhule by hiring Gregg Williams at DC in case Rhule blew up. Gase was the fallback when Cleveland passed on him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

So let me ask you this way since you cant seem to accept that the Bears with a horrible QB are more competitive than the Jets are. Are the Jets better or worse than last season? What players did the Jets lose that makes them worse than last season?

The Jets got “better” at ILB and RB, and the ILB died and the RB has been undone by the OL, which has gotten exponentially worse. My turn: which players who took the field for the Jets today starts for the Bears? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets got “better” at ILB and RB, and the ILB died and the RB has been undone by the OL, which has gotten exponentially worse. My turn: which players who took the field for the Jets today starts for the Bears? 

Glad you're beginning to acknowledge that the injuries are the main culprit to this disastrous season.  Your boy Gase would be looking pretty good right now had he had the team Macc intended on fielding.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

Their OL is basically the same personnel as last season. And it played much better last season. I am not taking your bate on the Bears any more. Fact is this offense performed a million times better under Bates/Bowles with basically the same personnel. The defense otoh has probably performed better than last season.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bell, Darnold, griffin, Anderson,  crowder and that’s the offense 

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Glad you're beginning to acknowledge that the injuries are the main culprit to this disastrous season.  Your boy Gase would be looking pretty good right now had he had the team Macc intended on fielding.

Do you mean guys like Jachai Polite, Edoga, Trey Wesco, Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Laurenzo Mauldin, Bryce Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Charine Peake, Jeremy Clark, Dylan Donahue, Deon Simon, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Juston Burris, Jordan Leggett, Darron Lee, Trumaine Johnson etc? 

You mean THAT team, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Do you mean guys like Jachai Polite, Edoga, Trey Wesco, Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Laurenzo Mauldin, Bryce Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Charine Peake, Jeremy Clark, Dylan Donahue, Deon Simon, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Juston Burris, Jordan Leggett, Darron Lee, Trumaine Johnson etc? 

No not that one.

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Those guys don’t count (drafted during rebuild)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Their OL is basically the same personnel as last season. And it played much better last season. I am not taking your bate on the Bears any more. Fact is this offense performed a million times better under Bates/Bowles with basically the same personnel. The defense otoh has probably performed better than last season.

I’m not trying to bait you with the Bears. My only point with the Bears was that even the best teams can be reduced to rubble if the OL goes to hell, and naturally they’re more competitive because they have better players across the board.

This all falls on the upper organization.   Mike Mac needed to go with Bowles.   The hiring of Gase would of been possibly questioned more with a different GM.  The free agency would of been different, the draft could went in a different direction.  There is enough to go around for all in the organization to take the blame.   

Joe D walks into a major mess with what he knows is a very poor O line.  Why would anyone use the statement we are 3rd in the waiver and I will use that.   What the Hell else does he have?  The team is what the team is.   Battered, beaten down.   With no depth left at any position.  Trumaine is a reflection in the mirror of pass days that were.   Gase will not be fired. Yet with that said it would be a super bold move and a tremendous statement from Joe D that he has a plan to really get this team turned around.  Gase who Joe just stated in his mid season presser he has a lot of confidence in to be the coach going forward.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

No not that one.

That's the team Mac tried.to field. LOL Those are the players HE selected.  This debacle has MacCagnan as the architect. He incompetency in 5 drafts has led the Jets to be completely DEVOID of talent and depth. Gase being drunk at the wheel has just added to the madness.