There is no way BOTH Gase and Darnold are back next year

*Full disclosure.* I didn't watch today's debacle. Thankfully it wasn't on down here. I watch Red Zone and followed the Game Thread.

After reading what you guys were posting, and from the highlights(?) I saw, this team is broken. How can they possibly bring back both Gase AND Darnold? Would anyone here think that would work?

I realize the overwhelming choice of the fans would be Darnold staying and Gase hitting the bricks. That would be my choice also, Darnold should be the one who comes back.

We have to remember though, Gase is the guy who staged a palace coup months ago. He got rid of Macc and handpicked Douglas to replace him. He's a cold blooded back room assassin. I don't see him going without a fight.

If Darnold was playing well, or even mediocre, the choice would be easy, might not even have to be made. He's regressed badly however, and I can see Gase throwing him under the bus to save his own job. It was rumored that Gase never liked Darnold coming out of USC, and he might be planting seeds already with Douglas that they need to get another QB going forward.

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

Darnold made 1 mistake. Sam will be back, Gase will not.

He made two right off the back but I’m sure he made more.  The INT is obvious and the missed snap safety was on him.  As Ray said he lifted his leg to indicate the snap and forgot about it.  

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

He made two right off the back but I’m sure he made more.  The INT is obvious and the missed snap safety was on him.  As Ray said he lifted his leg to indicate the snap and forgot about it.  

Maybe, I will wait for Sam's interview coming up. When you are getting pummeled almost every time you drop back, mistakes are very likely. Football..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Yup..

He made one mistake - it was a big mistake but otherwise he did what he could.  and played about as good as could be expected.

with that said, that type of mistake has been all too common the past three weeks.  He needs to fix that or he should go too.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Well Sam just said miscommunication between him and Winters. To me that means it's on winters, and Sam is covering for him.

Bart even just said it falls on Sam.  It was his miscommunication.  It all falls on the QB.  

25 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Sam made more than 1 mistake. He  needs to learn when to live for the next play/drive. 

With that said, Gase should have never been hired. No need to give up on Sam, but Sam is contributing to the failure. However, it all  begins with coaching and Gase is not a HC in this league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DLJ said:

He let slip a few words SNY had to apologize to the viewers for

LOL that's the guy I was referring to in the OP. He's got the fire Sam lacks. I think if it comes down to him or Sam, Gase chews Sam up and spits him out behind the scenes.

4 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Darnold was just in the presser saying Gase is one of the best coaches he’s ever been around.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Which just reinforces how bad off Darnold is right now.  He is so far one of the worst QB's in the NFL and it's not debatable.

Something needs to change quick, before this kid becomes another body on the scrapheap of failed QB prospects.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Well Sam just said miscommunication between him and Winters. To me that means it's on winters, and Sam is covering for him.

Ray Lucas said that darnold lifting his leg was the sign to snap the ball but darnold just forgot about it,  it was darnold fault 

He is beaten. He looks like hes resigned to having to play football, almost like it's a punishment. He looks like He and hates being on the field now. Did you see him at the end of the game kind of wandering around the sidelines?  Guys were trying to pat his shoulder and he was even looking at anyone. It doesn't help that during the game Gase was shown during the game feed sitting on the bench alone apparently playing Sudoku.

Not only is the man completely in over his head he is also clearly on the autism spectrum. I say that with all sincerity and not as an insult, my oldest son is autistic. Many people on the board I have spoken to in the past about this. But it is what it is  He does not know how to interact with people. He is letting his quarterback get destroyed. Darnold has completely regressed  from the player he was at the end of last year. His mechanics are garbage, he has completely lost his confidence.  He has 0 faith in his offensive line and he is expecting to get destroyed on almost every play.

He knows he is lost the faith of the coaching staff who demonstrate it every time they call a run on 3rd and 4. He is a broken player.  He is a shell of who he was.

The jets did exactly what I was afraid of but was also expecting. They did not prepare him, they did not bring in anyone who can properly develop him. They did not invest in an offensive line. They ignored skill position aside from one slot wide receiver and a flyer on the Thomas.

Hes  Throwing to trash behind a garbage offensive line with no help from the coaching staff . Hes getting 0 help. the offensive  line is garbage, the coaching is garbage.

I said it that night they passed on McCarthy to hire Gase that I wanted McCarthy because he knows how to develop a quarterback, how to work on his mechanics and how to set a foundation. Gase has been a complete f******* failure with anyone who isn't an 18 year veteran hall-of-famer named Peyton Manning. It's garbage.

And then they followed up with Daryl Loggains...lol. I knew it was going to be a complete and utter disaster. And now they've done it. They've destroyed any hope they had, so here we are jets fans, back again to destroying another quarterback, destroying all hope and setting the foundation of this franchise back another decade. But Hey as long as a Johnson's keep making money.

• Post of the Week 4

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

They'll both be back and in two years they'll have a better record than Faker Mayfield. Fat, slow, short and stupid.

I don't think many will agree with you prediction about Gase and Sam turning this around in two years even though Jack Youngblood was a beast.

17 minutes ago, Grandy said:

The pats didn't just beat us, they destroyed our QB and set us back half a decade.

This is so true, he stole our soul, in that game. His revenge over the Johnson’s must be complete now. Since we have less then nothing, and I Will NEVER believe anything positive about this team ever again.

Prove it!!!!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Ray Lucas said that darnold lifting his leg was the sign to snap the ball but darnold just forgot about it,  it was darnold fault 

Ray Lucas knows about as much of what happened on that play as we do. QB's in the shotgun lift their leg up multiple times pre snap a lot to keep the defenders guessing on the snap count. It happens all of the time in the NFL. The fact that Darnold didn't take ownership of that mistake means it wasn't on him bc one thing he always does is own up to his mistakes.

• Upvote 1