#3 Pick

Here's what you do...

Trade out of the first or second spot - pick up an extra 1 (that's two)

Trade Adams (for a #1)

Trade QW (for a #1)

That gives you 4 #1's...

Draft 4 o-linemen - 

Use Cap money to sign the best corners you can afford...

All of a sudden you have a competitive football team.

• Upvote 2

There are so many needs on this team, its hard to know where to start.  Obviously OL, but then it's been harder and harder to draft a good one out of college these days.  Our other two positions of need (cb and wr) are also the hardest to hit on in the NFL draft and carry the highest non qb bust rates.   I definitely think trading down is again the best option (as it was last year, but our GM couldn't execute) but good lord does this roster need work.

32 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Trade down.  Build the OL.  If Sam doesn't work out, draft another QB in a couple of years when you have an OL and he will be less likely to be ruined.

This is the only answer logical answer.  The trade down is iffy depending on if a Thomas type lineman is available.  Having  a young da brick on the left edge and round 2 and 3 interior lineman has to be the only way.    

I also think we put so much emphasis on Gase (please fire him)  but we need to look at who is going to be coaching these picks and the strength and conditioning.  Pollack was run out of Dallas and did nothing in Cincinnati. 

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't think so.

Fire Gase.  That is an absolute must do.

Draft O-line hardcore.  Sign O-line hardcore.

Retain Bell, Crowder, Herndon, maybe Griffith.  Everyone else can go at O-skill.

Sign best WR's possible.  Draft WR mid-rounds if possible.

Darnold gets 2020 to show us.  Top 15 in ACTUAL production for QB's, or he too is gone.  Three seasons is enough to know what you got.

Yup. Pretty much this. I think ANYONE watching the Jets can see that Darnold playing like s**t is 80-90% the O-iline playing worse than s**t. He's also, what, played 17 NFL games so far? To me, he still looks like a Franchise QB prospect and any QB you draft will look terrible behind this line.

You let all the starters go on the O-line except for Edoga and Harrison who are on cheap contracts. You resign A.Lewis who has actually been a bright spot and might be retained at a reasonable price and I think you go HARD after the best O-lineman in Free Agency- Scherff. Then you go after the top available OT in the draft. If its A.Thomas, that's great, if it's Wirfs thats also great, depends on where the Jets are picking, both are fantastic prospects. They probably won't be able to get Thomas. Then in round two you don't mess around and you take Bladasz out of Wisconsin to solidify the Center position. 

You do that and you are half way there to a full re-build. You bring in 2 blue chip prospects at two crucial positions LT and C. Guys who should be able to step in and start. And you bring in a Pro Bowl caliber OG. The hope is Edoga can be an adequate starter at RT and Lewis can be an adequate starter at LG and the whole unit can develop into a solid offensive line next year despite two rookie starters. 

You should still have cap space to invest in a CB to replace Tru and Pass rush help and/or a replacement for Robby. You are really only spending big money on Scherff as far as the O-line. And you have two third rounders and the rest of the draft to add more young depth/future starters at positions of need.   

Sounds simple and things NEVER work out as easily as this but honestly, if JD REALLY wanted to make this happen, he probably could. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Draft a QB until you have a QB...as of right now, I am sorry, we do not have a QB.  Make whoever you draft compete with Sam.  You can't go forward like this.  Let Douglas put his stamp on the franchise.

Pick a QB #1.

To be fair they would actually be competing to see who go's to the IR list first. Gotta fix the O line before you mulch another QB. 

17 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Draft a QB until you have a QB...as of right now, I am sorry, we do not have a QB.  Make whoever you draft compete with Sam.  You can't go forward like this.  Let Douglas put his stamp on the franchise.

Pick a QB #1.

Terrible idea. The Jets need to build the core of this team..... It starts and ends there.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Welp said:

You live in Highland Park I live in South Pas I'll personally go over to where you are and smack the sh*t out of you for this utter stupidity

come on over and I will take you to my buddy's bagel place (best in LA), Belle's Bagels.  Welcome to the hood kid.

19 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Pick a QB #1.

Seriously, why do people want butt fumbles so badly. 

• Upvote 1

I've had season tix since 1984 and can say without a doubt imo that this is the worst O-line the Jets have had in all that time.  Gase has turned the teams most valuable asset into a piñata.  Build the line and see what Darnold can do with some protection and without Gase.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No NO NO. Gase has clearly ruined Darnold and we have to commit to him for another 80 gazillion games to make sure he’s not totally ruined. Even though the next ruiner might be more ruiney than the current ruiner. 

There are two possibilities: Sam has the goods and is being held back by a terrible OL, or Sam isn't the answer.  Either way, the wise thing for the Jets to do is to pour resources into the OL this offseason (to the exclusion of all else, if necessary).  Draft the best available LT at the top of the draft (yes, pass on Chase Young, as much as that hurts), draft interior linemen in the second and third rounds, and sign Scherff and the best available RT (Bulaga, Darryl Williams) as free agents.

If Sam's the answer and the line is the true problem, that will tell us.  And if he isn't, we'll not only know to move on, but will be able to bring our next QB into a situation where he has a terrific line in front of him.

Do we badly need improvements at WR1, CB, pass rush? Yes.  Should we skip ALL of those to invest in the OL if we have to? Also yes.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Here's what you do...

Trade out of the first or second spot - pick up an extra 1 (that's two)

Trade Adams (for a #1)

Trade QW (for a #1)

That gives you 4 #1's...

Draft 4 o-linemen - 

Use Cap money to sign the best corners you can afford...

All of a sudden you have a competitive football team.

First do not trade QW....   Second, the Dolphins, Jaguars and the Raiders are the only teams with multiple 1st round picks for 2020.  Jacksonville is not trading up, no need for a QB with Foles and a young Minshew.  Raiders aren't trading up for a QB with Carr playing Grudens system perfectly and young still. Unless they fall off big time not happening.  That leaves the Dolphins.... Will the Dolphins give up that draft capital to a division rival.  Will the Jets give the Dolphins a chance to get a franchise QB..  I don't see it happening.   So we won't get an extra 1 this year but we will get a 1 this year and a 1  in 2021.  Maybe from a team like Cincy, Tampa or possibly Denver. Third, we need a pass rusher before a CB.   Our CB's are not Pro Bowlers but their coverage is good enough that if we actually didn't have the opposing QB standing in the pocket for an hour their play might be ok.  With that said an upgrade is needed for sure.  But we need OL and pass rush as the focus this offseason.   And I can make an argument for a a true # 1WR before CB.

IF possible what should happen is :

Trade out the first or second spot.  Get whatever teams 1st staying in the top 8.   Get an extra 2nd this year and another 1st and 3rd next year

Trade Adams - Get a 1st and 4th this year

Take Jeudy with the the top 8 #1. 

LT with the next 1st rd pick and we should take OT Trey Adams assuming we are in the 20's with this pick

Take the best pass rushers available with the two 2nd rounders.

Two 3rd round picks take a G and then a CB.

Sign a Guard and a Center in Free Agency .

OL should be

LT - Trey Adams

G - Signed FA

C - Signed FA

G - Lewis or rookie (whoever wins the Job in Training Camp)

RT - Edoga 

47 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

There are two possibilities: Sam has the goods and is being held back by a terrible OL, or Sam isn't the answer.  Either way, the wise thing for the Jets to do is to pour resources into the OL this offseason (to the exclusion of all else, if necessary).  Draft the best available LT at the top of the draft (yes, pass on Chase Young, as much as that hurts), draft interior linemen in the second and third rounds, and sign Scherff and the best available RT (Bulaga, Darryl Williams) as free agents.

If Sam's the answer and the line is the true problem, that will tell us.  And if he isn't, we'll not only know to move on, but will be able to bring our next QB into a situation where he has a terrific line in front of him.

Do we badly need improvements at WR1, CB, pass rush? Yes.  Should we skip ALL of those to invest in the OL if we have to? Also yes.

OL is a lot easier to find than QB. The Jets are going to be drafting extremely high in every round and also have cap space to work with. This idea that the Jets have to choose between either replacing Darnold or building the rest of the team is unfairly dichotomous. They can actually do both. Not to mention that being in a position to draft an elite QB prospect at the top of the draft without having to trade up at all is a rare opportunity. If it's there, you play the odds and do it.

• Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Pick a QB #1.

Wrong.. This isn’t madden football, a 99% of QBS actually needs a good offensive line for them to do well.. We have one of the worst OLs in nfl.. Thanks to Mac years of stupidity.. We should do what Mac should have done many years, trade down and take OL mid first, and use the 2nd rounders we pick up also on OL.. 

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yup. Pretty much this. I think ANYONE watching the Jets can see that Darnold playing like s**t is 80-90% the O-iline playing worse than s**t. He's also, what, played 17 NFL games so far? To me, he still looks like a Franchise QB prospect and any QB you draft will look terrible behind this line.

You let all the starters go on the O-line except for Edoga and Harrison who are on cheap contracts. You resign A.Lewis who has actually been a bright spot and might be retained at a reasonable price and I think you go HARD after the best O-lineman in Free Agency- Scherff. Then you go after the top available OT in the draft. If its A.Thomas, that's great, if it's Wirfs thats also great, depends on where the Jets are picking, both are fantastic prospects. They probably won't be able to get Thomas. Then in round two you don't mess around and you take Bladasz out of Wisconsin to solidify the Center position. 

You do that and you are half way there to a full re-build. You bring in 2 blue chip prospects at two crucial positions LT and C. Guys who should be able to step in and start. And you bring in a Pro Bowl caliber OG. The hope is Edoga can be an adequate starter at RT and Lewis can be an adequate starter at LG and the whole unit can develop into a solid offensive line next year despite two rookie starters. 

You should still have cap space to invest in a CB to replace Tru and Pass rush help and/or a replacement for Robby. You are really only spending big money on Scherff as far as the O-line. And you have two third rounders and the rest of the draft to add more young depth/future starters at positions of need.   

Sounds simple and things NEVER work out as easily as this but honestly, if JD REALLY wanted to make this happen, he probably could. 

You have some great ideas. And I agree with them. BUT

I think you just need ONE real blue-chipper in the next draft. I mean, it doesn't have to be done at once. I think we'd be surprised with how much of an improvement one really dominant OL would have on our OL. I mean, immediately, with Harrisson starting, I saw improvement, well, in the first half. I left after that. But I saw a semblance of an NFL OL, which I hadn't seen except in Game One of the preseason. So, I think it doesn't take all that much, maybe 2 guys, one a blue-chip OL and maybe a free agent. I think the weakest links on the OL have been removed: Kalil and Osemele. I mean, there's still Winters and the rookie at LT, but, again, in the first half, I saw a semblance of an OL, so I don't think we're that far away.

Someone said trade all these guys to get 4 No. 1 picks. Why? I mean Adams is playing at a high level and is a leader on the defense. the Jets just drafted Q Williams and, without L Williams doing nothing on the DL, all the guys were making plays.

My issue is Gase. I trust Gregg Williams to develop defensive personnel. I trust Gase to screw up developing offensive personnel. So, that's the big disconnect with any serious team building.

Kinda the same with CB.  I think you only need ONE great CB. Poole and Roberts are not No. 1s. And so the entire field, from sideline to sideline, is open for opposing offenses. Just having one reasonably effective CB would allow Williams the ability to play way more effective defense. You don't need a secondary of all stars, just at least ONE CB.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Wrong.. This isn’t madden football, a 99% of QBS actually needs a good offensive line for them to do well.. We have one of the worst OLs in nfl.. Thanks to Mac years of stupidity.. We should do what Mac should have done many years, trade down and take OL mid first, and use the 2nd rounders we pick up also on OL.. 

the worst in the NFL and statistically trending towards the worst in the history of the NFL

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:44 PM, carlito1171 said:

NO! 

That's continuing the same retarded cycle this franchise loves. If you draft one now, you will need to draft another one in 2 years. You have to build up the team around the QB before you decide you need another one. Even if Sam can't be fixed you'll ruin whoever you draft next year behind this OL 

preach GIF

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

OL is a lot easier to find than QB. The Jets are going to be drafting extremely high in every round and also have cap space to work with. This idea that the Jets have to choose between either replacing Darnold or building the rest of the team is unfairly dichotomous. They can actually do both. Not to mention that being in a position to draft an elite QB prospect at the top of the draft without having to trade up at all is a rare opportunity. If it's there, you play the odds and do it.

OL is so easy to find that we've managed not to put premium resources into the OL since drafting brick and Mangold in 06. How's that worked out?

The problem here is asset allocation, anyway. If you draft a QB at the top of the draft then either Sam or that QB is a wasted pick. You can't have both of them on the field at the same time, and the odds are pretty good that whoever you put on the field will be playing behind a very subpar line yet again. Because, well, take a look at who the upcoming free agents are. It's not a pretty list on the o-line - and some portion of those won't hit free agency in the first place. For the ones who do, other teams will be bidding on them and we aren't exactly the most attractive free agent destination right now.

So we need to invest in the offensive line with our premium picks. Doing so maximizes both the value of our big free-agent acquisition this offseason, in Bell, and gives our current key asset, darnold, the best chance to reache his upside and be the franchise quarterback we've needed for decades. My point is that even if darnold fails, and you have to move on from him, spending those picks on the offensive line isn't a waste, because it provides a foundation the next time we are in position to draft a QB. And if darnold flops, we will be in a position to draft a QB, because our team will not be good enough without him to be not drafting in the top 10 next year as well

Darnold could be the worst qb in the league and he still gets a 3rd year.  We cant put the cart in front of the horse again.

You trade our top 3 pick in the draft and we should end up w/ 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

2 olineman, 2 recievers and a rb.  Now you have revamped the whole offense.

If darnold stinks again you now have 2 number one picks(one from the trade down the previuos year).  You use one of those 2 picks on a qb.

Its as simple as that and is exactly what joe douglas will and should do.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Pick a QB #1.

I disagree in regard to the fact that I firmly believe Sam is the real deal and will become a top 15 QB in this league.  Nevertheless nobody can deny the absolute obscene lack of talent on this roster.  San is due to become a free agent after the 2021 season - in other words the Jets have pissed away his rookie contract as I doubt all the pieces will be in place for the team to be a contender in 2021.  So maybe the smart move is to trade Sam and start anew.  I am not in love with any of the QBs in this year's draft - but we're looking at another losing season in 2020 anyway, so go with a stop gap in 2020 and hope to get a top QB in 2021 - whether that be Lawrence or someone else who rises to the top.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Pick a QB #1.

dont diss the great white hope.   buttfumble people are lame.

This is beyond stupid. **** outta here with this garbage. What? Draft a number three qb and put him behind this OL with Gase and watch the same thing happen. Darnold is still younger than most QB prospects coming out of college. Lets just hope this OL and Gase don’t completely ruin him in a season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

DT is a very difficult position to dominate as a rookie. It’s not like Ed Oliver is lighting up the stat sheet either. The guy only started one year in college so you had to factor in a learning curve. 

The biggest concern I have with Quinnen is that he seems like a guy who gets dinged up pretty easily. 

On 11/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, Doggin94it said:

You can’t approach the draft that way. Pass rusher is also major need and if Chase Young is the better prospect you have to pull the trigger. 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:39 PM, southtown24th said:

Macc is gone.

Bowles is gone.

Pick a QB #1.

Dude, what about our O-line, LBs, CBs, WRs and coaching staff?  Sam is far from the biggest issue with our team.  Even if we got the best QB in the draft, he would be terrible if we don't fix the rest of our team first.  Lets fix our team first and then evaluate Sam.  At that point we could draft a QB if we need to.  But I have to say, evaluating QBs is tough.  Who would've thought Lamar Jackson would be a top QB at this point in his career or ever?  There were no signs he could actually throw the ball, he was nothing more than a glorified RB playing QB, boy were we wrong.  Point is, drafting a QB is risky.  Most of the top prospects falter.  Better to build a solid team and get a decent QB, even if through free agency.  It worked back in 1998.  But I think Sam will be just fine with a decent team behind him.  We don't need him to be the next John Elway to win a Super Bowl if the team around him is great.  Look at all the teams that won with so-so QBs, Eli, Flacco etc.

Macc is gone.
Bowles is gone.
Pick a QB #1.

There is literally not a QB in the league the league that would succeed with this OL and assortment of weapons.

Not Mahoney, not Brady, not Rodgers.

Sam is young and made a few dumb throws (which can easily be fixed) He will be fine once we get this sh— cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31