Could someone please lay out the argument for season ticket ownership?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know you a long time and I know I have a no cursing \ no personal attack rule here but I have to say your post is absolute bullsh*t. I don't like when someone is on the other side of anything and they call everyone who disagrees a fool. That just isn't cool.

I will start by saying if you don't want to go, don't go. That is fine. No judgement from the people that go each week. Just stay home and work on your resume. I am all set with my job so instead of doing my resume I am just going to watch and go to the Jets games. Thanks for telling me what to do but I didn't ask for advice.

I bought tickets in 1988. I go every week. I have missed 3 home games in all those years. I go with my son. We have a great time and plan vacations around it. My son is 24 and I will tell you what, we are really close and we spend a lot of time together. So if I am a fool then so be it because I know a lot of parents that would like to be as close to their kids as I am. I went with my Dad when I was in college until I was in my 30s. We spent time each week, talking and bonding over the Jets.

I have made life long friends because I sat next to people in the old stadium. Have made really good friendships by sitting next to people each week in the news stadium.

Stop wasting my money? I would bet that I work more hours each week than most people here. I am finally at the point in life where the financial aspects of Jets ticket ownership is nothing I even worry about. So even when they lose, it isn't a waste of money.

I wish they won more. I want them to be good as much as anyone. But don't tell me not to go to games just because you don't want to. That is B.S.

I didn't read that into his E mail. He's just frustrated. I don't own season tickets so I didn't take it personally, maybe others like you did.  But I see the bigger picture of , as many have stated, if you enjoy it, have at it. 

For me, it's like golf, I pay on average $800 a month to belong to my club, meals and extra's included of course.  My game has gone to crap but I still pay because over the long haul, I don't go to Disney world etc. It is my "escape" and I make great friendships. 

Gonna miss you in DC, after the Dallas win, I committed to go with the Charlotte fan club. Now I want to jump off a bridge.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Speaking of which, this article came out this morning, seems Jets fans are rich and smarter than the fans of the other major sports.  Makes perfect sense to me:

https://nypost.com/2019/11/02/new-york-sports-fans-are-richer-than-most-residents-study/

New York sports fans are richer than most residents: study

It’s all money ball.

Fans who attend Yankees, Mets, Jets and Giants games aren’t just rich — they’re much wealthier than other New Yorkers, with the Giants crowd the most loaded of the four, a new study found.

Big Blue ticket holders are 287 percent more likely than the rest of the city’s population to earn at least $250,000 a year, according to an analysis for The Post by the Ubimo data-crunching firm www.ubimo.com.

Yankee lovers have plenty to burn, with their crowd being 172.9 percent more likely to collect a quarter-million dollars in income than other residents. Mets supporters notched a 136.6 percent figure.

Long-suffering Jets aficionados are the least well-off, but Gang Green fans are still 91.2 percent more likely to make $250K a year than New Yorkers as a whole, according to the study, which pulled data from more than 1,000 fan cell phones on one recent game day for each team and compared those numbers with census information.

Those who root for the Jets are 26.8 percent more likely to have a college degree than others in the city, the highest mark among the foursome, but each team’s followers finished above average.

SAR I

of course this has nothing to do with the fact that tickets are very expensive and those not in this category are struggling to use what little cash they do have on silly things like food, rent, medical bills, etc. Makes this a meaningless analysis. It is like saying that someone driving a McLaren has a better probability of being well to do than the one driving an old Honda

based on strictly football no way in hell-the jets are a terrible team going no place fast and if you buy season tickets you waste money on preseason every year( we have had season tickets in the family for since day one) In the past 40 years I have missed only a handful of home games even when I was out out of state in college.  The  last few years have been brutal. The only reason I went was to spend time with my dad. I lost my dad in April and have not attended a game this year without him. The only positive to the jets being so bad is it makes me not want to be there. I am walking away from my psls at the end of the season. I will just buy on stub hub when  I want to go should I ever get the desire to go again.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Fairweather.  Textbook definition right there.

SAR I

The way I see it people like you are the biggest part of the problem. Cheerleaders/social climbers throwing their money into a billionaires pocket. Weren’t you the one who wanted the board to collectively apologize to Christopher Johnson a few weeks ago? You are a clown show.

• Upvote 1

From a cost point you are right for majority of tickets. Thankfully I got my tickets in a section where Iget relatively good value for my seats and I can almost always recoup my cost if not more by selling. I am 4 rows from the field in section 143 which is on the visitors  sideline. I am also right near the aisle where the guy across from me is paying $35 for the same seat. What I have realized since I have owned these seats is that visiting fans want to sit as down low as they can on the visitors sideline and they will pay up big time for that. The jets let me buy two extra seats for the season in row 5 and before the season started I sold all of them and made more than $1200 profit. My plan was to sell those to help pay for all the games I had planned on going to. However If visiting fans want to pay me $600-1000 a game not to go to any game from now on they are welcome to.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

For me it’s simple.  The friendships I’ve made attending games since 1991 when I was 11 years old is more important than how terrible the team is.  

I also am married and have a 2.5 year old son.  When he’s older he will attend games with me and it will be our father son time.  For now it’s my 8 Sundays a year to get out of the house.  The dates are on the calendar 5 months in advance. The tailgates are still fun.  The Jets on the other hand stink.   

I bout season tickets for the same reason.  Then I realized that I can get seats for absolutely any game I want at or below face value without a PSL.  I went from being a season ticket holder for 15 years to just giving up my seats and eating the PSL money I pissed away.  And you know what?  My son and I still go to the games.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

This isn't the only argument. This isn't true. Some people go to every game and don't worry about resale.

But if you can still go to every game while spending a lot mess money, wouldn't that be a viable strategy?  Unless of course your connection to your seat/section runs deep and outweighs those extra costs and you can't find seats in that section on a regular basis.  

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

I don’t think the thread was supposed to go into the real vs fake fan direction although I guess that was inevitable. That’s a result of Sar coming in. 

Yeah your first post definitely didn't have that vibe to it. So I do believe this wasn't your intention (calling out fans either way).

Tickets work for some, for others they don't make sense for a variety of reasons. Definitely isn't a measure of fandom especially since some people can't afford to go. I have been a bit surprised over the years when we have given away free tickets. There are people that want to go so bad, it just isn't an option for them price wise.

Slightly unrelated but my son and I talk when the tickets really drop in the stadium and we like those games. When you get a bunch of first time people there it creates an energy. Reminds me of what the stadium used to be like. All good clean fun but just louder when the corporate crowd stays home.

If elected, I will make tickets available to masses.  :)

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But if you can still go to every game while spending a lot mess money, wouldn't that be a viable strategy?  Unless of course your connection to your seat/section runs deep and outweighs those extra costs and you can't find seats in that section on a regular basis.  

No that isn't an option that is appealing to me. Spending time looking for tickets every week, sitting in a different place each week, having to buy parking passes which are always over face value on the secondary market in order to save a few bucks is nothing that I am interested in. And as bad as it is, the section I sit in routinely sells for more than face value. Especially when you add in the 15 or 18% in fees.

Some of the games sell for more than face value because of opposing fans alone.

I like knowing the people around me. We have all become friends, you hear about babies being born, weddings and all that. People generally annoy me so when I find a group of people that I like I usually stick with them.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I didn't read that into his E mail. He's just frustrated. I don't own season tickets so I didn't take it personally, maybe others like you did.  But I see the bigger picture of , as many have stated, if you enjoy it, have at it. 

For me, it's like golf, I pay on average $800 a month to belong to my club, meals and extra's included of course.  My game has gone to crap but I still pay because over the long haul, I don't go to Disney world etc. It is my "escape" and I make great friendships. 

Gonna miss you in DC, after the Dallas win, I committed to go with the Charlotte fan club. Now I want to jump off a bridge.

DC would have been the perfect trip. If we have a new coach by then I would actually consider it. Not going to pay more to see Gase though.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those who say they're rich and smart have to recognize the fallacy in calling the Jets a worthwhile investment.  I mean come on.  Just call it what it is:  A sunk cost.  

I agree, I have never called the Jets an investment from the financial side. It simply isn't anything you can genuinely say is worth the money from a financial perspective. That is probably the point of this thread I guess. As I mentioned in other posts the reasons I go aren't financial so the time investment is well worth it to me.

I don't drink alcohol so I see people out on the weekend dropping hundreds at a bar. That is crazy to me but only because I don't drink so the money seems like a waste to me. But to the other 99.999% of the population that money is well spent because they have a great time.  :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

based on strictly football no way in hell-the jets are a terrible team going no place fast and if you buy season tickets you waste money on preseason every year( we have had season tickets in the family for since day one) In the past 40 years I have missed only a handful of home games even when I was out out of state in college.  The  last few years have been brutal. The only reason I went was to spend time with my dad. I lost my dad in April and have not attended a game this year without him. The only positive to the jets being so bad is it makes me not want to be there. I am walking away from my psls at the end of the season. I will just buy on stub hub when  I want to go should I ever get the desire to go again.

Really sorry for your loss!

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Or we are smart enough to understand that the NFL is pretty much about 10 years of good football for every 20 years that suck.  The stadium is only 10 years old and we were an AFC elite team when it opened.  It's not like we expected division titles and Super Bowl appearances every year.  We found our franchise quarterback.  We are badly injured.  We played the tough part of our schedule early. 

The overreaction is comical. 

SAR I

If I didn't have access to the admin panel I would swear you were a team employee.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I just want to add I usually do my best to be in my seats for kickoff.  I arrive usually 45 mins to an hour before the gates even open to tailgate.   For the rest of the season I’m probably not rushing in for kickoff.  I enjoy the tailgates and the team is terrible.  I’ll still be in for the game but definitely not rushing.  

I was going to make a joke about; oh hey look, someone doesnt think the way I do and it bothers me so let me talk about it and cast judgement on those people and then compare it to our society but then David Duke was in here doing what he does so I figured I'd just let it go.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

Very sorry for your loss.  

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

Sorry to hear that. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Really sorry for your loss!

thanks the tragic irony with my dad-he was a jet fan since day one-probably was the longest tenured fan as well attending games. In 1969 he could not scape together enough money to watch Joe win superbowl 3 but at the time he did not think much of it. He said to himself I will just go to the next one. Sadly 50 years went by and he never had that opportunity. I truly hate the jets now and all they have become the past few years but the time I spent with my father since I was barely walking at shea is priceless. Even after the horrendous losses where we said how did we do lose that one(sadly that happened too much) walking through parking lot doing the losers walk thinking of what could have been is some of my greatest memories I have as at that time I was with my dad.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those who say they're rich and smart have to recognize the fallacy in calling the Jets a worthwhile investment.  I mean come on.  Just call it what it is:  A sunk cost.  

It's no investment. 

You don't have to worry about how rich people spend their fun money.

SAR I

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

of course this has nothing to do with the fact that tickets are very expensive and those not in this category are struggling to use what little cash they do have on silly things like food, rent, medical bills, etc. Makes this a meaningless analysis. It is like saying that someone driving a McLaren has a better probability of being well to do than the one driving an old Honda

That makes me feel good.

SAR I

5 hours ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

The way I see it people like you are the biggest part of the problem. Cheerleaders/social climbers throwing their money into a billionaires pocket. Weren’t you the one who wanted the board to collectively apologize to Christopher Johnson a few weeks ago? You are a clown show.

If not for the illnesses and injuries the Jets would be 4-4 right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.  The problem is a thin roster that's been decimated by unforseen circumstances.  So you can cry about your owner and scream for your head coaches head all you like.  That's not the problem.  And it's not going to fix anything.  Those with season tickets will be happy next year when, God willing, the injury bug doesn't bite and Douglas can make up for Maccagnan's poor decisions.

SAR I

4 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I bout season tickets for the same reason.  Then I realized that I can get seats for absolutely any game I want at or below face value without a PSL.  I went from being a season ticket holder for 15 years to just giving up my seats and eating the PSL money I pissed away.  And you know what?  My son and I still go to the games.  

But you sit next to randoms.

SAR I

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

But you sit next to randoms.

SAR I

There were three obnoxious assholes sitting right behind me screaming filthy obscenities about Brady taking it up the u know where and other teams players propensity for sticking on things...throwing popcorn at anyone in a different Jersey and doing do in front of kids...including my son. I nearly got into fistfights with them on the regular (and I wasnt the only one). The only one I care about sitting with is my kid and honestly I've made new friends every time I had a seat. Nothing wrong with randoms. Its actually pretty cool to meet new people and make new acquaintances. 

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Or we are smart enough to understand that the NFL is pretty much about 10 years of good football for every 20 years that suck.  The stadium is only 10 years old and we were an AFC elite team when it opened.  It's not like we expected division titles and Super Bowl appearances every year.  We found our franchise quarterback.  We are badly injured.  We played the tough part of our schedule early. 

SAR I

"The stadium is only 10 years old and we were an AFC elite team when it opened."

errr, right.....  How many playoff games did us pal-season ticket holders enjoy during that brief two year period?  

19 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You live in a fantasy land. You live in a dimension so twisted that you actually just referred to the NY Jets as an AFC elite team. Even in the best of times this team has never been in the category of elite. They suck at football. They have for years. They suck at drafting. They have for decades. 

Whatever you're smoking has to be powerful. You are the Idi Amin of Internet Message Board Trolls. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

You live in a fantasy land. You live in a dimension so twisted that you actually just referred to the NY Jets as an AFC elite team. Even in the best of times this team has never been in the category of elite. They suck at football. They have for years. They suck at drafting. They have for decades. 

Whatever you're smoking has to be powerful. You are the Idi Amin of Internet Message Board Trolls. 

No one tries this hard to convince other people on the Internet. To convince themselves however...

• Upvote 1