darnold = major bust (as of Nov 4, 2019)

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Our Qb is 22 years old.

Here is a QB who played very little in his first year as a 22 year old (27 passing attempts) and then here are his 2nd and 3rd years as a 23 and then 24 year old.

23 years old: 17 tds, 16 ints, 205 yds per game, 60.8 comp %

24 years old: 11 tds, 15 ints, 192 yds per game,  58% comp %

Wonder who this Qb is?

Chad Pennington? 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

concise.

also, if you dont see giant alarming red flags. then ur fuggin blind.

to date? a bust. future? we'll see.

I think you and I define the word bust differently.  A bust to me is he didn't pan out and his career is over.   To date he's been inconsistent.

so far he's played 5 games.

2 bad games (NE and JAX)

1 Very good game (Dal)

2 good games (Buffalo and Miami)

Mia- Outside of the goal line pass he was very good with what he had to work with.  But a bone head play like that pisses people off I get it. But judging him solely on 1 play. One in which the OL blew their blocks and he had 2 free runners is silly IMO

Buff - One of the best Defenses in the NFL and him playing with Mono. Can't complain about his performance.  

2018 13 Games

5 bad games (Both Mia games, Chi,Cle and MIn)

4 very good games ( Den, Indy, GB, and Hou)

2 Good games ( Det and Buf)

2 average games ( NWE, Jax)

I can't use the word bust.   That to me is the final determination of Sam and his performances right now says the Jury is still out and with this OL I am not sure the blame falls on him alone for his performances yet.   we don't fix the OL Sam will be done after next year. We fix the OL and Sam may still be done after next year.  If the OL is improved I 100% believe Darnold will be much better. Now that's not saying he will be the franchise QB but put it this way if the OL is improved I would say Sam would have won the Buffalo game, the Miami game and the Jacksonville game.  And If the OL is improved and he consistently plays poorly still and loses games like that, then I will say he's a bust and it's time to move on

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

https://www.jaguars.com/video/a-j-bouye-outruns-jets-offense-for-int

best excuses for this?

btw wizhead, see Sanchez step up and get crushed in the AFCCG vs INdy... @ 3:32

steps into throw, gets hammered, TD.

Also see manning @ 1:33 step up into throw and get hit just as/after release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUyHBYN6zAE

so your argument? its poor..  real qbs step into it and take it  ie- STFU

5 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

image.png.815b96f565922c942643534a8a1255fd.png

And you've got it figured that if Sam steps forward into rush instead of backward away from the rush, he'll get hit after he gets rid of the ball, not before?

Okay.

this leaves me certain you didnt watch the AFCCG vid...     you're good with pussy QB play, i'm not.

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this leaves me certain you didnt watch the AFCCG vid...     you're good with pussy QB play, i'm not.

Still waiting for an answer as to how you think Sam avoids this sack unless he steps backwards, let alone if he actually steps forwards.  But that's all right, if you can somehow envision this, well and good.  Anybody else out there see how Sam avoids the sack before he releases the ball unless he steps back here?

image.png.7023b1fb19a790c88023d284ccb5ed76.png

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

QB 1:

24 years old: 12 tds, 16 ints, 163.9 ypg, 50.1 comp %

25 years old: 17 tds, 22 ints, 180 ypg, 55.8 comp %

QB 2: 

22 years old: 7 tds, 9 ints, 114.5 ypg, 51.8 comp %

23 years old: 13 tds, 11 ints, 159.9 ypg, 55.6 comp %

QB 3: 

22 years old: 2 tds, 4 ints, 93.3 ypg, 54.5 comp %

23 years old: 13 tds, 8 ints, 161.5 ypg, 53.8 comp %

QB 4:

23 years old: 0 td, 1 int, 8 ypg, 60 comp %

24 years old: 8 td, 8 int, 148.9, 49.6 comp %

QB 5: 

23 years old: 4 td, 0 int, 108.4 ypg, 51.5 comp %

24 years old: 10 td, 11 int, 197.8 ypg, 56.4 comp %

Wonder who these guys are?

You guys, it's Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Jamarcus Russel, and Jake Locker!

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

stand groun d step into it and throw it and take it...  if ya gonna do that pussy backfoot backing up sh*t, then throw it away...

look where his front foot is...  if its ON THE GROUND he is still the same distance away, it doesnt make him any closer.

As the pic clearly illustrates, the action printed in green is not an option.  The only two options on this play are:

A.  Step backward to avoid the rush and get the ball off, albeit with reduced accuracy and velocity

B.  Step forward and walk into the arms of two separate tacklers well before you get the chance to throw the ball.

image.png.15f1f77668c7b45694793f0d2ecf354a.png

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

As the pic clearly illustrates, the action printed in green is not an option.  The only two options on this play are:

A.  Step backward to avoid the rush and get the ball off, albeit with reduced accuracy and velocity

B.  Step forward and walk into the arms of two separate tacklers well before you get the chance to throw the ball.

those ar ethe only 2 options for a guy who doesnt wanna step onto his front foot and take a hit.

the ball is pracyically out in this pic. no way teh D makes up the groudn b4 release.

he is not travveling at 60 mph, fyi

pussy options. its a play good NFL Qbs make. 

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

those ar ethe only 2 options for a guy who doesnt wanna step onto his front foot and take a hit.

the ball is pracyically out in this pic. no way teh D makes up the groudn b4 release.

image.png.4fec4b498a5ed318984df5c2e0223a18.png

Ahem.  In the picture, Sam has just completed a backward step.  Measure your stride-you will find it is between 30 and 36 inches.  Sam is tall so it's probably closer to 36in.

You say the proper play was for Sam to step forward instead of backwards.  If Sam did that, his position upon release of the football would be two steps (between 60 and 72 inches), closer to the sackers than it turned out to be

The tacklers, at the instant Sam released the ball, were about five feet, (60 inches),  from Sam.  Therefore, it Sam did as you advised, he would have been swallowed up entirely by two opposing players.  No chance at all for the ball to be released.  Instead of refuting lounap23's point about Sam's mechanics being thrown off by the opponent's  unblocked sackers,  you select a perfect example to prove lounap23 is correct.

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I'm coming into this argument a little late but there is no way on God's green earth that Darnold gets to that point in his throwing motion stepping into a throw without having his head removed. I'm not sure the ball remotely comes out before they hit him.

Remember prior to that release in the picture he is going to have to spring forward in the pocket to drive the ball accurately. I'd like to imagine I'm pretty athletic and there is just no way I can wrap my head around a clean throw by stepping up in this situation. (Even if that means getting his head taken off)

I probably shouldn't give Sam so much leash in my analysis of his play but I'm pretty certain it's mostly a sh!t OL and God awful play calling. Build the wall and help Sam and the running game. Worst case scenario is we build an OL for the next QB.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Remember prior to that release in the picture he is going to have to spring forward in the pocket to drive the ball accurately. I'd like to imagine I'm pretty athletic and there is just no way I can wrap my head around a clean throw by stepping up in this situation

i provided 2 clear examples from 2009 AFC CG...    go watch the QBs stay in there get creamed and make a play.

yes. you are giving Sam the alllowance to play like a pussy and turn the ball over. look, it was the 1st pass attempt...

his 1st priority was not getting hit. eff that.

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i provided 2 clear examples from 2009 AFC CG...   

image.png.d425d795c280896746dcbb8bf60e18c4.png

There's your problem right there.  The pic you posted, (reposted here),  is not from the AFC CG.  You post a pic with Sam at QB, but try to talk about a game Sanchez played in. 

Suggestion:  Take a vacation from the board and get yourself a couple of hours more sleep for a few days.  It often works wonders  clearing up mental confusion.

17 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

image.png.4fec4b498a5ed318984df5c2e0223a18.png

Ahem.  In the picture, Sam has just completed a backward step.  Measure your stride-you will find it is between 30 and 36 inches.  Sam is tall so it's probably closer to 36in.

You say the proper play was for Sam to step forward instead of backwards.  If Sam did that, his position upon release of the football would be two steps (between 60 and 72 inches), closer to the sackers than it turned out to be

The tacklers, at the instant Sam released the ball, were about five feet, (60 inches),  from Sam.  Therefore, it Sam did as you advised, he would have been swallowed up entirely by two opposing players.  No chance at all for the ball to be released.  Instead of refuting lounap23's point about Sam's mechanics being thrown off by the opponent's  unblocked sackers,  you select a perfect example to prove lounap23 is correct.

So Sam with zero protection on an uncreative playcall with his JAG WRs all covered wasn’t good.

I

am 

sHOCKED

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

The most important question about this picture is how come when the Giants are the home team at MetLife Stadium,  the EZs are fully painted with their colors, but the Jets get HS level endzone stencils? 

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, FidelioJet said:

He looks a bill shell-shocked right now but calling him a bust is beyond absurd.

He's 22, just played his 18th games, behind, what many are calling, the worst offensive line they've ever seen - with a HC that really doesn't seem to grasp it.

Under the circumstances, as far as I'm concerned, he's playing well.

He'll be fine.

The problem with Darnold is with other College QBS. I remember when Sanchez came out of USC and his head coach. Pete Carroll, told him he wasn't for the NFL. And he was right. Sanchez only played 2 years and his coach seen flaws that could of been coached up in college. This also went for Darnold. He also needed to work on a few things since he only played two years as well. Yes he was more athletic than Sanchez but when he played better teams he used to get rattled. He could of came out a better player if he had one more year.   I really feel unless you were Luck out of Stanford you should stay for that final year. Even Luck did that with Stanford.  These QBS coming out should stay in college and get that refined year in especially if they played no games in their freshman year. I loved what the Oregon QB did this year.  

On 11/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, lounap23 said:

I think you and I define the word bust differently.  A bust to me is he didn't pan out and his career is over.   To date he's been inconsistent.

so far he's played 5 games.

2 bad games (NE and JAX)

1 Very good game (Dal)

2 good games (Buffalo and Miami)

Mia- Outside of the goal line pass he was very good with what he had to work with.  But a bone head play like that pisses people off I get it. But judging him solely on 1 play. One in which the OL blew their blocks and he had 2 free runners is silly IMO

Buff - One of the best Defenses in the NFL and him playing with Mono. Can't complain about his performance.  

2018 13 Games

5 bad games (Both Mia games, Chi,Cle and MIn)

4 very good games ( Den, Indy, GB, and Hou)

2 Good games ( Det and Buf)

2 average games ( NWE, Jax)

I can't use the word bust.   That to me is the final determination of Sam and his performances right now says the Jury is still out and with this OL I am not sure the blame falls on him alone for his performances yet.   we don't fix the OL Sam will be done after next year. We fix the OL and Sam may still be done after next year.  If the OL is improved I 100% believe Darnold will be much better. Now that's not saying he will be the franchise QB but put it this way if the OL is improved I would say Sam would have won the Buffalo game, the Miami game and the Jacksonville game.  And If the OL is improved and he consistently plays poorly still and loses games like that, then I will say he's a bust and it's time to move on

His very good game wasn't really a very good game. He almost single handely lost that game for us with a red zone pick. He was also putrid in the second half and failed to put the game away. You have to stop looking at the stats because it doesn't mean much. 

His four game stretch at the end of last year looked good on paper was severly lacking in that stretch. He also sh*t the bed against the Pats, and we were 1-3 when darnold was "great". He failed to win games when given opportunities. 

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i provided 2 clear examples from 2009 AFC CG...    go watch the QBs stay in there get creamed and make a play.

yes. you are giving Sam the alllowance to play like a pussy and turn the ball over. look, it was the 1st pass attempt...

his 1st priority was not getting hit. eff that.

I'm not arguing that you can't step into a throw and make completion while taking a hit. I'm arguing the Darnold throw doesn't appear to have the necessary space for my mind to envision a throw actually being made.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, funaz said:

His very good game wasn't really a very good game. He almost single handely lost that game for us with a red zone pick. He was also putrid in the second half and failed to put the game away. You have to stop looking at the stats because it doesn't mean much. 

His four game stretch at the end of last year looked good on paper was severly lacking in that stretch. He also sh*t the bed against the Pats, and we were 1-3 when darnold was "great". He failed to win games when given opportunities. 

You can’t take a way the fact that Darnold played well in those games. It’s not Darnolds fault that the defense was terrible in all the games you referenced.

The knock against Darnold is consistency. To be fair he’s played about 4-5 games where he’s looked like the #3 pick in the draft. It gives you hope as a fan, but not assurance. I could pinpoint 4-5 games Sanchez and even Geno Smith looked really good as well. 

Darnold is going to get the rest of this year and next year to figure it out as he should. He’s only 22 and the organization invested a ton in him, but the clock is now ticking. He needs to show more than what he has, otherwise don’t be shocked to see him on the bench midway through next season a la Rosen and Mariota. 

You can’t take a way the fact that Darnold played well in those games. It’s not Darnolds fault that the defense was terrible in all the games you referenced.
The knock against Darnold is consistency. To be fair he’s played about 4-5 games where he’s looked like the #3 pick in the draft. It gives you hope as a fan, but not assurance. I could pinpoint 4-5 games Sanchez and even Geno Smith looked really good as well. 
Darnold is going to get the rest of this year and next year to figure it out as he should. He’s only 22 and the organization invested a ton in him, but the clock is now ticking. He needs to show more than what he has, otherwise don’t be shocked to see him on the bench midway through next season a la Rosen and Mariota. 

Which is why the prudent thing to do is draft another QB if we end up with a top 6 pick this spring to compete with him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Which is why the prudent thing to do is draft another QB if we end up with a top 6 pick this spring to compete with him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’d rather use that pick to fill another need on the roster and hope Darnold can figure it out. Keep in mind the QB they draft has as much of a chance to be Sam Darnold or Mitch Trubisky as Pat Mahomes. 

I