darnold = major bust (as of Nov 4, 2019)

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have now concluded that Gase is inept and needs to go.  He is not developing or protecting Darnold.  I don’t think Darnold respects what he has to say, and he is developing bad habits out of fear of getting injured. 

I think the best path for the Jets is to get Darnold a better coach and build an OL, Wr and defense to support him, in that order   This is not a fool proof plan, but if it does not work the Jets basically do a Vikings and sign a Cousins to play with a good team and trade Darnold and let him walk   We have seen enough good with Darnold not to give up on him, but he needs a new coach.

If a Burrow is sitting there, JD likes him better and the Jets can recover lots of picks from trading Darnold, I would not scream if that happened.  A Rosen like trade would not be enough   Rosen never was as good as Darnold was when he was not bad  

I just wrote a very similar post. There is no reason to give up and start over with the QB position while the team is made up of scrubs. No Qb is going to succeed here IMO. Gase needs to go and the OL  needs to be built first. Then WR's. If Sam sucks with all of that and a new coach that JD chooses then it's time for a new QB and he will have a team to play with. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I just wrote a very similar post. There is no reason to give up and start over with the QB position while the team is made up of scrubs. No Qb is going to succeed here IMO. Gase needs to go and the OL  needs to be built first. Then WR's. If Sam sucks with all of that and a new coach that JD chooses then it's time for a new QB and he will have a team to play with. 

Correct take

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

I think it's hard to say that he's a bust at this point... but if they don't get a coach in here that can develop him, and FAST,  then he's going to be.

i will agree that i should have said Darnold= major bust...so far

again, i can see him having a couple jewel seasons in a career of meh and interceptions and crap mechanics

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

it's that simple.

now that's silly.  darnold is playing behind a sieve for an oline.  they don't pass block run block.  just about all of them will be off the team in the off season and they know it.  they have nothing to play for except themselves and they wouldn't be low budget players to begin with if they were valued for more than just being a body.  and t's not like the receivers are doing darnold any favors either.

if anything we are seeing what happens when a gm tries to build a team through consistently bad drafts and then not filling in positions with top tier players.  and even there, top tier may be a misnomer because trumaine was supposed to be a top corner when he signed and he's been pretty bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Cant wait till we have a good game and people log into their real accounts and post about how they knew Sam was our guy and told us all along.

dont conflate me with the dimwits who call Sam god. only a ripe twat would have multiple accounts..

dont accuse me of that sophomoric nonsense.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

hughes @ the athletic

"

His field awareness is nonexistent. His footwork is atrocious. The turnovers are back. The big plays are gone.

It’s the biggest red flag in this hellish season.

The thing that gets me with Darnold — and we’ll get into the specifics with a few sourced interviews for a story this week — is that he feels it’s OK to do things that defy logic. Against the Patriots and Jaguars, he routinely threw without setting his feet, which led to errant attempts and turnovers. There was a play against the Dolphins in the red zone when, while being brought down by a defender, he threw up a limp pass into triple coverage that was intercepted — another obvious no-no. "

Ok, this guy is a moron or just read stuff and didn't  watch the Pat's game. Darnold was under siege in the Pat's game. Honestly, that game might have broken him physiologically.  It seems whenever he gets pressured he just throws the ball up hoping a WR makes a play. The problem is he doesn't  ha E any WR that can win these 50-50 balls. I want to also say he has made a number of bad passes that should never ha e been thrown like the redzone one yesterday  and that is coaching. Darnold has to know when you are down there you are getting 3 points and the most important thing is protect the ball. Don't risk a turnover. Make a good pass or eat it. This is a mental error. Darnold has shown enough mental ability  is seeing the field,  going through progressions, looking off defensive  players that I believe he can fix this but he is still not getting the prep he needs and I am convinced he is not getting it from Gase. I truly  think at this point that Gase is just worried about his own skin right now and is not prepared.  I mean. How the Hell do you lose to a team that is not tryi g to win games. The Fins are tanking this season. I would bet they fine the HC and Fitz for winning a game. This is a disgrace. 

Gase has to be fired  and I mean this week. Baker did ok under William's. Let's see how Darnold does.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Well maybe Gase gets fired the Jets will have the #1 pick overall and they pull a Kyler Murray move in taking Tua and trade Darnold for a second round pick then use the remaining picks to rebuild the OL. I do blame Gase and the previous staff for ruining him.

WTF is wrong with you. If we get the #1 pick you trade back for more picks and fix this effing OL. 

I swear, some of these post are freaking mind numbing. 

• Upvote 2

I've been thinking about this but I don't think Sam is a bust. The potential is there. If a guy can't get set back there he is going to make mistakes. If he is hearing footsteps all the time he is never going to be able to excute. The OL is the problem here. I want to see the guy with a better OL before I make this judgement.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

what qb are you buttboys watching? you have nothing to say but neg rep, cos you are speechless that his footwork is so bad. throws up that INT in the redzone??  thats bush league.

That is bad coaching. That is a mental error because his HC has not coached him not to do that. Here is is Gase being a HC. Ok, get TD, we get the ball in the second and reset. 

I mean Darnold looked like a deer in the headlights  when he said that to him during the Pat's game.that is horrible coaching. 

i notice no one can make any excuses for when in doubt throw it off the back foot to the other team..

he played the worst QB i ever saw vs Pats., he played scared. he threw softballs ON PURPOSE cos he wanted to keep his uni clean. 

worse than the Ken Obrien goal line cringe.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Steve Young was a bust playing in Tampa bay too( bad offense line) , than gets traded to the 49ers( very good offense line ) and suddenly is the franchise Qb everyone thought he was.

The Jets have to fix that offense line before any Qb can be successful.     No Qb likes to get hit - even franchise QBs.  A young  Qb gets hit enough times early in his career , and that  can ruin him forever.( can develop a lot of bad habits( throwing off the back foot) and speeding up the clock in his head( imagine pressure that might not be there.

Jets want to trade Darnold,  call the Raiders .  Gruden will be gladly willing to trade one of his first for Darnold.     The Raiders have the time ( can be backup to Carr) and the offense line To rehabilitate Sam Darnold.

You have a chance to rebuild a franchise qb confidence , and that opens up a chance to recoup so much more than they gave up to acquire him.   Or if  he never develops , than the Raiders lost that first , and the Jets have another  piece to rebuild their offense.

Yep, Sam’s a bust. Damn it!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

please attempt to refute the quote from the athletic.

know whats silly? throwing THAT INT on 2nd and goal. thats just out and out sh*t QB PLAY.

Sam is not sacred. hes a backfoot throwing mid 30's QBR dud.

that's even sillier.  give him the tools and he plays well.  that's just like every one of the qb's in the nfl.  and he wouldn't be throwing off his back foot if he had some time.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

"The Jets sent the No. 6 overall pick, two 2018 second-round picks — No. 37 and No. 49— and a 2019 second-round pick to the Colts in exchange for the No. 3 overall pick"

Nicksplat Facepalm GIF by NickRewind

Yep.

Yet we give Darnold every possible benefit of the doubt. He's only 22 is his middle name. It's the coach. Its the OL. Its never Sam.

We kept ripping Leo. Jamal and QW. All were picked at 6 or better. Sam is the Golden child though.

• Thumb Down 1

Have to admit it was painful to watch Lamar Jackson handle the Pats cover-zero blitzes with steely eyed composure and precision last night. On the same type of plays, Darnold was running around like his hair was in fire. Granted, Harbaugh and his staff are top notch, but I’m not sure that was the difference. Darnold simply goes into panic mode too much and he turns into a different (bad) player. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

WTF is wrong with you. If we get the #1 pick you trade back for more picks and fix this effing OL. 

I swear, some of these post are freaking mind numbing. 

You think if we get the first pick, it’s ludicrous for a new GM (who is not an emotional homer Jets fan) with a 6 year contract and didn’t draft Darnold to pick an elite QB prospect in Tua?

I don’t think we have a shot at number one overall but if we do, everything and anything should be on the table (trade down, stick and pick, Tua, Chase Young, etc).

To sit here and unequivocally state “we would have to trade out of #1 no matter what!!” - that makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yep.

Yet we give Darnold every possible benefit of the doubt. He's only 22 is his middle name. It's the coach. Its the OL. Its never Sam.

We kept ripping Leo. Jamal and QW. All were picked at 6 or better. Sam is the Golden child though.

I agree with you. And I am someone who desperately wants Sam to be awesome. But I can still root for him and hope he’s great while being critical of his current play, regardless of the roster. I don’t understand why it has to be one or the other 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The OL is horrible. Sam hear footsteps, and they aren't fake ones. Let's wait until he has an OL (and a real coach) to see if his talent emerges. He's probably no Steve Young, but no QB can function - mentally or physically - behind this front five.  Nor can a running game. I feel for Bell: I don't ever remember a back being hit (and often gang tackled) behind the LOS so many times in a season.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Have to admit it was painful to watch Lamar Jackson handle the Pats cover-zero blitzes with steely eyed composure and precision last night. On the same type of plays, Darnold was running around like his hair was in fire. Granted, Harbaugh and his staff are top notch, but I’m not sure that was the difference. Darnold simply goes into panic mode too much and he turns into a different (bad) player. 

Ha. I was just salivating looking at how well his line was pushing around the Pats d line. Even when there was penetration there seemed to always be a crease for him to step up and run or throw through. 

And their run game changes everything...

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

hughes @ the athletic

"

His field awareness is nonexistent. His footwork is atrocious. The turnovers are back. The big plays are gone.

It’s the biggest red flag in this hellish season.

The thing that gets me with Darnold — and we’ll get into the specifics with a few sourced interviews for a story this week — is that he feels it’s OK to do things that defy logic. Against the Patriots and Jaguars, he routinely threw without setting his feet, which led to errant attempts and turnovers. There was a play against the Dolphins in the red zone when, while being brought down by a defender, he threw up a limp pass into triple coverage that was intercepted — another obvious no-no. "

It's OK, we passed on Mahommes and Watson and gave up 3 2nds to get him. What's the problem?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

He looks a bill shell-shocked right now but calling him a bust is beyond absurd.

He's 22, just played his 18th games, behind, what many are calling, the worst offensive line they've ever seen - with a HC that really doesn't seem to grasp it.

Under the circumstances, as far as I'm concerned, he's playing well.

He'll be fine.

There are many, many QBs who have started out struggling on a lot better rosters than this dumpster fire. This really is like the Tampa Bay expansion experience. Steve Young & Vinnie were horrible in Tampa but both had shown flashes just like Darnold. 

• Upvote 1