Losmeister

darnold = major bust (as of Nov 4, 2019)

Those who make the claim that Darnold's a bust weren't  born to witness the travesty that Aikman went thru in his 1st year with the Cowboys......case closed!!!

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

no i have not. worth it?

Bart was pissed. He didn't buy Sam's explanation that he was trying to throw the ball away on the pick.

Bart has been one of Sam's biggest supporters (said he would have won Superbowl with him) and Gase's biggest critics. 

Darnold has had the deck completely stacked against him for every one of his 18 games as a pro.  Terrible coaching, a terrible offensive line, and a defense that has him playing from behind often.   He's gotten into some terrible habits as a result of all of these factors, but I believe he has shown windows of excellent play and has the talent to be a franchise QB nonetheless.  As far as I'm concerned, he gets a mulligan for this year.  If his poor play continues next year with hopefully a better line and coaching in place, then we can start to worry.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold has had the deck completely stacked against him for every one of his 18 games as a pro.  Terrible coaching, a terrible offensive line, and a defense that has him playing from behind often.   He's gotten into some terrible habits as a result of all of these factors, but I believe he has shown windows of excellent play and has the talent to be a franchise QB nonetheless.  As far as I'm concerned, he gets a mulligan for this year.  If his poor play continues next year with hopefully a better line and coaching in place, then we can start to worry.  

Sam Darnold is the worst starting qb in the nfl.   heck there are a few backups better then him as well.

But you are correct here.  The responsible thing to do is draft a qb in the 3rd round this year so we are prepared if darnold misses time again.  Sam Darnold gets all of next year to prove he is the answer.  If he fails next year, we move on.

Its the same formula the bears are doing with trubuisky which is ironic as sam darnold is the afc version of mitch trubisky.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

You think if we get the first pick, it’s ludicrous for a new GM (who is not an emotional homer Jets fan) with a 6 year contract and didn’t draft Darnold to pick an elite QB prospect in Tua?

I don’t think we have a shot at number one overall but if we do, everything and anything should be on the table (trade down, stick and pick, Tua, Chase Young, etc).

To sit here and unequivocally state “we would have to trade out of #1 no matter what!!” - that makes no sense. 

Yes, we should sign Tua because we know Tua is much better at completing  passes with unblocked defenders coming straight  up the middle than Sam is. 

If we pick Tua with the first overall pick, I might need a new TV after draft day because it will show not only did we sign a failure at HC, we also signed one as a GM. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, we should sign Tua because we know Tua is much better at completing  passes with unblocked defenders coming straight  up the middle than Sam is. 

If we pick Tua with the first overall pick, I might need a new TV after draft day because it will show not only did we sign a failure at HC, we also signed one as a GM. 

Weird how you can judge a GM based on one draft pick you won't have seen play for the Jets yet but nobody can judge Darnold because there was a free rusher up the middle that one time.

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I have to agree.  Its not the right time for a qb.  Trade back, get a ton of picks to build the oline and find offensive playmakers.  Let darnold get one more year to prove himself.  if he fails, you take a qb in 2 years.

We have to do it right this time.  Build the oline, the team then go get the qb.

• Upvote 1

It's gone from "he might be a bust" to being a >50 % chance he's a bust at this point.  He's better than Sanchez and Geno in my mind, but that's not saying much.  The buttfumble frenzy for having the gall to suggest he's a bust is laughable.  

I still like the kid and want to give him 2020 to try to build around him.  At the worst, we build around the NEXT QB.  But people are getting awfully triggered by the suggestion he's a bust.  

• Thumb Down 1

I'm not ready to write off darnold just yet. Obviously he hasn't played well this year but I think he gets another year  before Jets even consider moving on. It would be nice to see what he can do with an o line in front of him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I'm not ready to write off darnold just yet. Obviously he hasn't played well this year but I think he gets another year  before Jets even consider moving on. It would be nice to see what he can do with an o line in front of him.

Absolutely,  We traded up to get him.  He gets a 3rd year with an improved line and offense.

But hes far from a sure thing and its time for us as a fanbase to be open to alternatives if he doesnt produce next year.

The days of being blindly loyal and bragging and boasting that we have some cant miss prospect are over.  We all understand that now.

• Upvote 2

If you subtract the inexplicable and hard to believe attempts to make a play (when there is none) and not take a sack and instead just throw the ball up he wasn't that bad. Actually Gase said so himself before the game. It was reported that Gase was working with him to better throw the ball away and not take a sack and that could be the reason he was playing so stupid. In other words the coaching backfired. The idea is correct just not the execution or the thought process. Sam is not a bust he's been sick and is in a sophomore slump. I build that offense around him starting with the O-line. It's stupid to draft a young Qb that high and not give him adequate protection. It might be smart to bring back the fullback position or have someone play in the regular role as a blocking back. Even if you have to subtract one wide receiver. 

11 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Weird how you can judge a GM based on one draft pick you won't have seen play for the Jets yet but nobody can judge Darnold because there was a free rusher up the middle that one time.

One time? Are you freaking kidding me?

It will show he is ignoring the OL as much as Mac has which is basically what everyone here has been screaming about for a good 2 years. I mean have you been reading this message board?

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

It will show he is ignoring the OL as much as Mac has which is basically what everyone here has been screaming about for a good 2 years. I mean have you been reading this message board?

One pick on a non-OL equates to ignoring the line as much as Mac did by not investing anything in the span of five years. Tell me more about your feelings.

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Steve Young & Vinnie were horrible in Tampa but both had shown flashes just like Darnold. 

Steve Young HOF, Vinny... not close to HOF. My bet is on the latter. 

And despite my being so damned acerbic, I am inwardly hopn I am wrong.

But the THING is...   well, ya know... JETS.

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

deck completely stacked against him

but he had the best QB mentor that existed since Teddy Roosevelt!

We spent 10 million to show how to suck bad at QB yet still have a 15 yr no significant injury career!!!

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

One pick on a non-OL equates to ignoring the line as much as Mac did by not investing anything in the span of five years. Tell me more about your feelings.

We have an opportunity  to get multiple first round picks and possibly second  round picks in a very deep OL draft. We can pick up 3 high round OL instead of 1 QB. Sorry, I want the OL. Taking a QB is what Mac would do

1 hour ago, Bomberjet said:

Those who make the claim that Darnold's a bust weren't  born to witness the travesty that Aikman went thru in his 1st year with the Cowboys......case closed!!!

WTF Case closed? Uh... not even close Sparky..

I've been around a lot longer then that. It's foolish what you and other guys in this thread are doing. 

Saying Darnold will be good because Aikman, Vinnie and Steve Young struggled early is as ridiculous as when people said not to worry about Sam's ints because Peyton threw a lot of them in his rookie year also.

It's the exact same thing as saying Gino would've or Mitch Trubisky will become a great QB for the same reasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We have an opportunity  to get multiple first round picks and possibly second  round picks in a very deep OL draft. We can pick up 3 high round OL instead of 1 QB. Sorry, I want the OL. Taking a QB is what Mac would do

You're on fire more cowbell.  100% right.  Trade that pick, darnold gets one more year and build the oline and offensive playmakers.

Its so simple to fix this.  

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

no i have not. worth it?

Yes....it's a little bit into it. They were talking about the snap that led to the safety, and he and Ray both put it right on Darnold. Seemed like he questioned how hard Darnold. really prepares. Also refers to him later as "the golden boy." This may cause me to listen to his show again today for at least the opening.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Uh... not quite.

I've been around a lot longer then that. It's foolish what you and other guys in this thread are doing. 

Saying Darnold will be good because Aikman, Vinnie and Steve Young struggled early is as ridiculous as when people said not to worry about Sam's ints because Peyton threw a lot of them in his rookie year also.

It's the exact same thing as saying Gino would've or Mitch Trubisky will become a great QB for the same reasons.

Yup.  This is the new SOJF talk.  Ive seen people here compare gase to bellichek cause they failed at their 1st gig.  No more excuses and telling us that 1% outliers like aikman and bellichek are going to happen here.  Its not.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

it's that simple.

Follow the logic of a simplistic statement like "It's that simple."

Your kid fails a test at school.  Does that mean he/she is an idiot?

Darnold and Rosen were the supposed best two QB's coming out of the 5 in 2018.  As of now, Jackson is the best, Allen is 2nd, Baker is 3rd, Sam is 4, and Rosen is 5.

Who plays on the worst two teams in the NFL, with no offensive weapons, O-Line, or coaching?  The bottom two.

Sam could very well be a bust; if he is, it will be the Jets fault for not surrounding him with talent on the offense. 

He has all the tools, but even Jesus can't do carpentry work in 2019 with tools from 2000 AD.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Have to admit it was painful to watch Lamar Jackson handle the Pats cover-zero blitzes with steely eyed composure and precision last night. On the same type of plays, Darnold was running around like his hair was in fire. Granted, Harbaugh and his staff are top notch, but I’m not sure that was the difference. Darnold simply goes into panic mode too much and he turns into a different (bad) player. 

Lamar has a HC, Sam has:

Troll Face GIF Animations For Trolling: LOLcats, Googly ...

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes....it's a little bit into it. They were talking about the snap that led to the safety, and he and Ray both put it right on Darnold. Seemed like he questioned how hard Darnold. really prepares. Also refers to him later as "the golden boy." This may cause me to listen to his show again today for at least the opening.

couldnt find it....   link please?

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold is the worst starting qb in the nfl.   heck there are a few backups better then him as well.

But you are correct here.  The responsible thing to do is draft a qb in the 3rd round this year so we are prepared if darnold misses time again.  Sam Darnold gets all of next year to prove he is the answer.  If he fails next year, we move on.

Its the same formula the bears are doing with trubuisky which is ironic as sam darnold is the afc version of mitch trubisky.

This is exactly it. Build around him, get some real coaches around him and go from there. If he doesn't show improvement next year, and I mean legitimate improvement (top 10 QB type stuff by metrics) you look to draft another QB high. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sam could very well be a bust;

so far? his return for what we gave up is abysmal.

Just now, TheMo said:

If he doesn't show improvement next year, and I mean legitimate improvement (top 10 QB type stuff by metrics)

I'll put up $200 says this does not happen.

1 hour ago, Bomberjet said:

the difference is dallas hired a great coach with a great eye for talent -they then gave Troy weapons to succeed

sam is young and coaching is important to his developement as is surrounding him with talent-the  jets have terrible talent on their team and a terrible coach coaching him down instead of coaching him up

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, TheMo said:

This is exactly it. Build around him, get some real coaches around him and go from there. If he doesn't show improvement next year, and I mean legitimate improvement (top 10 QB type stuff by metrics) you look to draft another QB high. 

We keep this up and there wont be much to discuss around here.  Fixing the jets is so simple:

1- fire adam gase

2- Joe douglas hires new coach

3- Power Structure is: coach reports to douglas, douglas reports to owner

4- trade top in draft for multiple picks

5- draft oline and offensive playmakers

6- Darnold get 1 more year with new coach and revamped offense

7- If darnold fails, you draft trevor lawrence or another guy

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We keep this up and there wont be much to discuss around here.  Fixing the jets is so simple:

1- fire adam gase

2- Joe douglas hires new coach

3- Power Structure is: coach reports to douglas, douglas reports to owner

4- trade top in draft for multiple picks

5- draft oline and offensive playmakers

6- Darnold get 1 more year with new coach and revamped offense

7- If darnold fails, you draft trevor lawrence or another guy

Well said.