darnold = major bust (as of Nov 4, 2019)

31 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Darnold has had the deck completely stacked against him for every one of his 18 games as a pro.  Terrible coaching, a terrible offensive line, and a defense that has him playing from behind often.   He's gotten into some terrible habits as a result of all of these factors, but I believe he has shown windows of excellent play and has the talent to be a franchise QB nonetheless.  As far as I'm concerned, he gets a mulligan for this year.  If his poor play continues next year with hopefully a better line and coaching in place, then we can start to worry.  

Before this very rough 3 game stretch he threw a pick near the end of the Dallas game for which he was voted AFC Player if the Week, first game back from mono.  He was actually being LAUDED for his ball security over a significant stretch until it was broken against Dallas...so memories are short and any and all good quickly goes flying out the window.

Again, I’m not holding Darnold blameless, he does seem to have regressed over these last 3 games and picked up some bad habits which I fully expect for him to correct provided he gets a REAL COACH for the first time in his short career.  I swear the Jet coaching staffs he has had so far are so lame I think a big part of any problems he has is that he no longer has McCown next to him schooling him, since his coaches are worthless.

Which leads us to the last and most important point.  Football is a TEAM sport and Darnold does NOT play on an NFL team, especially his OLine, who will ALL be out of the NFL next year..all of them.  Anyone dare to argue that point?  Getting frustrated and trying to win the game all by yourself or just make a play is a terrible habit to get into.  And that is part of Darnold’s problem now.

One of the digs against him coming out of SC was that he had an elongated release which would give him problems at the top level..well he fixed it, quickly, and for those that know that is very difficult to do, change your throwing motion, because of muscle memory, it’s actually near impossible for most people, ask Christian Hackenberg.  I have confidence he will fix the current leaks in his game.....but not until this entire coaching staff and 90%+ of this Roster is FLUSHED.....and I think they will be...just TOO MUCH HEAT on the dweeb, clueless, least intelligent Owners of ANY Pro football team...they’ll either blow it all up or really risk losing whatever tatters are left of the Jet fan base.  And you could make a good argument that they “don’t care” and that they still make mountains of money off an incredibly poor product they sell, and that would probably be true......but the Media is about to go into overdrive driving home what a total laughingstock the Jets are and the MAIN REASON is because their OWNERS are a laughingstock...the Johnsons are not going to like what they read about themselves, and they will until this is finally fixed, or and this is the BEST CASE scenario, although I seriously doubt it ever happens, they SELL THE TEAM.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

so far? his return for what we gave up is abysmal.

I still think this is a bit of an overreaction.

I am not saying you are wrong, but given what this kid has been given, and IF he busts, it will be SOLELY on the Jets.  You buy a Ferrari and then fill it with leaded gas and drive it on dirt roads, you deserve a wreck at the end.

• Upvote 1

Sam's footwork and mechanics have been utterly atrocious in 2019.  He's playing terrified and his mechanics show it.

Of course there are reasons for this beyond just Sam, no one would question that.  But Sam is not playing well or performing mechanically well at all.  There is also no real denying that either.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We keep this up and there wont be much to discuss around here.  Fixing the jets is so simple:

1- fire adam gase

2- Joe douglas hires new coach

3- Power Structure is: coach reports to douglas, douglas reports to owner

4- trade top in draft for multiple picks

5- draft oline and offensive playmakers

6- Darnold get 1 more year with new coach and revamped offense

7- If darnold fails, you draft trevor lawrence or another guy

If the Jets completely tank this season, I would not be surprised if Joe Douglas first trades Sam (I think there are teams that would give multiple picks for him), and drafts his own guy next year, then builds the team around him.

I am NOT saying it should be done, but I would not be surprised if he did it.

3 hours ago, J-Diddy said:

Agreed. He is awful. Sammy is not a special player at all. He’s not the answer. Gase and Douglass didn’t pick this scrub and they shouldn’t be responsible for his ineptitude.  The jets will move on in 2020. Gase will draft his own guy.  

Darnold is an epic bust.  

Gase is at fault here no one else. Letting Gase stay is the first issue I have with this post the second is thinking Gase knows talent

There is truth to everyone saying he's only 18 games deep, 22 years old, terrible OL, terrible coaching, mediocre weapons, no run game/defense. 

There is also truth to he's not very good and might not be very good.  

It's probably true based on what we've seen he doesnt learn from his mistakes and he doesnt seem to have the next level competitive fire that sets the average apart from the best. 

The unfortunate truth is he's the least impressive starter in the entire NFL right now.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

the difference is dallas hired a great coach with a great eye for talent -they then gave Troy weapons to succeed

There's also the fact that Aikman actually WAS a good QB prospect.

Darnold had a very small body of work at the position coming out. The exact qualities that made him so appealing to most of you made me the first to question him last year.

He was very young. In my opinion, too young.

The Rose Bowl performance against a terrible defense skewed perception.

The fact he "played other sports, was a great athlete"... yeah that's great. Give me a guy who's grown up playing the position, and mastered the basic fundamentals. Not a block of clay who needs to be molded.

The signs were there if you wanted to look. Going into his last season at USC Darnold was considered a heavy favorite to win the Heisman. He didn't. He was considered a lock to be the first pick. He wasn't. His final year there was that disappointing, yet you guys thanked the stars that Dorsey and Gettleman were fools and passed on him. You just knew that Macc, who couldn't be their coffee guy, much less be compared to them as FO material, had suddenly found the guy who would be the outlier in his litany of failed draft picks.

I don't take any joy in watching Darnold flounder, in fact I feel for him. As far as the guys who laughed when I said I didn't understand what you guys were seeing in Sam that made you want to anoint him? Who's laughing now?

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

You buy a Ferrari

laughable equating Sam with a Ferrari. A Ferrari is a finished product that purs.

Sam is a baby who plays like a long term loser with his terrible mechanics and brain dead errors.

That crap INT vs Dallas almost lost the game.

And the 92 yder he managed to sail aloft for so long the safety to ran 20 yds and almost gets his hands on it,

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

Well maybe Gase gets fired the Jets will have the #1 pick overall and they pull a Kyler Murray move in taking Tua and trade Darnold for a second round pick then use the remaining picks to rebuild the OL. I do blame Gase and the previous staff for ruining him.

I'd rather have Burrow from LSU over Tua.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sam's footwork and mechanics have been utterly atrocious in 2019.  He's playing terrified and his mechanics show it.

Of course there are reasons for this beyond just Sam, no one would question that.  But Sam is not playing well or performing mechanically well at all.  There is also no real denying that either.

can't deny he's playing terribly right now, but I'm not ready to declare him a major bust right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

If the Jets completely tank this season, I would not be surprised if Joe Douglas first trades Sam (I think there are teams that would give multiple picks for him), and drafts his own guy next year, then builds the team around him.

I am NOT saying it should be done, but I would not be surprised if he did it.

At this point, its the best thing. In fact I started a thread about it weeks ago.

I said yesterday I thought there was no way BOTH Gase and Sam would be back next year. I just didn't know who, and given the cold blooded back room dealer Gase is, I wouldn't sell him short.

The odds of Darnold turning this around before he gets completely broken here are getting worse each passing week.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold is the worst starting qb in the nfl.   heck there are a few backups better then him as well.

But you are correct here.  The responsible thing to do is draft a qb in the 3rd round this year so we are prepared if darnold misses time again.  Sam Darnold gets all of next year to prove he is the answer.  If he fails next year, we move on.

Its the same formula the bears are doing with trubuisky which is ironic as sam darnold is the afc version of mitch trubisky.

I would bring in a vet (Tannehill, Mariota etc) to push Sam and in the event we have to make a change we would be better equipped. 

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

you guys thanked the stars that Dorsey and Gettleman were fools and passed on him. You just knew that Macc, who couldn't be their coffee guy, much less be compared to them as FO material, had suddenly found the guy who would be the outlier in his litany of failed draft picks.

I don't take any joy in watching Darnold flounder, in fact I feel for him.

fact is i like sam darnold quite a bit. seems like a earnest kid.

my current acerbic routine has a lot to do with 40 yrs tryna convince myself that the TODD was up to snuff,

that Kenny O was up to snuff, that Chez had a snowballs chance....  that Vinny would replicate 98 in 2000....

Some franchise QBs are money sooner than later. Mahomes being one example. Others take some time to develop. I'm not giving up on a 22 year old QB who has shown promise. I'm prepared to go through his growing pains while he develops. He is going through his terrible twos right now, and make no mistake about it that he sucks at the moment. Being dealt an awful hand doesn't mean you get a pass. He needs to hit open receivers on the few occasions when the line does their job. He needs to stop throwing off his back foot and either learn to put the ball in the stands or just take the sack. 

Now in his defense, it's hard to develop as a QB when you are not in sync with your offensive line. We have back up right tackles playing left tackle. A center who had one foot out the door before being coaxed back with a nice contract. Our OL has a different look almost every week due to injury. Last but not least, you have a head coach who has no idea how to use one of the most talented, versatile RBs in football. It's possible that the horrific OL handicaps Gase, but that is only more of an indictment on the OL. 

It's quite possible that Darnold is truly a bust. It's also possible that Darnold is the next Gannon or Testaverde and doesn't develop until his hair turns grey. One thing is for sure, Gase is not the answer, unless the question is how to guarantee that your team will suck. His record as a HC speaks for itself. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

fact is i like sam darnold quite a bit. seems like a earnest kid.

my current acerbic routine has a lot to do with 40 yrs tryna convince myself that the TODD was up to snuff,

that Kenny O was up to snuff, that Chez had a snowballs chance....  that Vinny would replicate 98 in 2000....

Oh, I hear ya. this has nothing to do with Sam as a person, he seems like a good kid. That doesn't have anything to do with the price of tea in China though, does it?

I've been there. I used to buy into all the guys we picked to play QB. I was never more upset s a fan then when we passed on Marino, but I still got behind Kenny O. No more of that for me, thanks.

The last Jets QB I bought into the hype with way Browning Nagle. Ever since then I've been the guy @BurnleyJet said he became last week. "don't tell me, I don't want to hear it. Shut up and show me."

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It's quite possible that Darnold is truly a bust. It's also possible that Darnold is the next Gannon or Testaverde and doesn't develop until his hair turns grey.

Gannon is.... to me..... the wildest of QB career arcs.

Vinny Greenbawls had 2 great years and like 15 crappy years. The latter seems more likely to me.

Last post in this thread for me, I'm gonna go hit some golf balls, lol.

Now Gannon is a comp? C'mon. Vinnie, Aikman, Young, on and on. None of them are relevant to Sam. Alex Smith is the best I've heard though. But if you guys want to play this game, I will to. Here's your comp, plain as the nose on your faces, yet nobody wants to see it or admit it.

It's Mark Sanchez. A USC QB we picked at the top of the draft when he came out early. Picked by a bad GM, not fundamentally sound, and never showed an ability to protect the ball. Always made dumb throws. 

Butt fumble against NE / Saw Ghosts playing NE. 

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

At this point, its the best thing. In fact I started a thread about it weeks ago.

I said yesterday I thought there was no way BOTH Gase and Sam would be back next year. I just didn't know who, and given the cold blooded back room dealer Gase is, I wouldn't sell him short.

The odds of Darnold turning this around before he gets completely broken here are getting worse each passing week.

If Sam Darnold is ever going to buck the dreaded USC quarterback trend and become somebody, it's going to have to be somewhere else. I think Joe Douglas could find a team to trade Sam Darnold to for a 1st round pick and another pick that could improve based on some Darnold performance clause. A change of scenery may be what Darnold needs. Teams that may be interested include the Chargers, Broncos, and Colts. It depends on how things shake out after this season. One thing is for sure though, the Jets need to blow things up because they are a mess doing things the way they've been doing them. 

• Post of the Week 1

I thought we all agreed in the offseason that this OL would have Sam running for his life or taking a beating all season. Gase has Darnold standing in the backfield most plays so I guess he is just back there taking hits and throwing interceptions. It isn't fair to Darnold to hold him accountable for the OL awfulness or Gase's awfulness. Darnold has played worse but everything around him has been worse, than last year. Darnold deserves his lumps for making a lot of bad decisions out of the sh*tty playcalling and performances around him but the issues in his performance deserve to be apportioned. Maybe he is just Sanchez II but it seems unfair to make that decision until he at least has the opportunity to play with a decent OL and maybe a decent set of plays. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

The unfortunate truth is he's the least impressive starter in the entire NFL right now.

Ridiculous statement. 

even with all the struggles, he’s still shown more than Haskins, Keenum, Flacco etc. The turnovers are a real problem - but his talent isn’t 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ridiculous statement. 

even with all the struggles, he’s still shown more than Haskins, Keenum, Flacco etc. The turnovers are a real problem - but his talent isn’t 

First off, look at the names you just typed as defense of Sam Darnold and now smack yourself for bringing this to the table.

Secondly, he hasnt been better than any of them, like not at all.  Ok, maybe Haskins but dude just made his first NFL start. 

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is truth to everyone saying he's only 18 games deep, 22 years old, terrible OL, terrible coaching, mediocre weapons, no run game/defense. 

There is also truth to he's not very good and might not be very good.  

It's probably true based on what we've seen he doesnt learn from his mistakes and he doesnt seem to have the next level competitive fire that sets the average apart from the best. 

Watching the ball bounce around in the endzone wasnt a great look.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Watching the ball bounce around in the endzone wasnt a great look.

Reminded me of Cam in the Super Bowl but even more egregious because at least Cam would have risked his body.  Sam could have just kicked it out of the end zone without being touched.

First signs of a typical entitled cali goober. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Reminded me of Cam in the Super Bowl but even more egregious because at least Cam would have risked his body.  Sam could have just kicked it out of the end zone without being touched.

First signs of a typical entitled cali goober. 

That was a bad look. Kids spirit is broken. Oh well. 

• Upvote 2