Why isn’t anybody taking about the actual design on the Darnold goal line INT?

I dont believe for one second that he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds.  This guy tries to make plays out of nothing all the time and suddenly the light went off on that play to throw it out of bounds, yet it went directly to the intended WR?  

Some of you will believe anything.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem was that when the blitzer came in, darnold was still rolling out, his body was facing the end zone rather than pointing his left shoulder to throw.  So he avoids the blitzer and tries to throw it away all in one motion and i think the dolphin got a hand on his arm as he was trying to throw it away.  Again if he had been rolling right it would have been way easier to throw.

He has no concept of when a play is dead.  This was a sack.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2nd and goal, three WR set to the short side of the field, Bell and Griffin both stay into block, Edoga appears to let an ILB blitz go untouched, two of the WR’s actually run into each other, actually all three are completely bunched together with no place to go, with no safety valve anywhere but three morons in a moronic goal line set who can’t get off the line of scrimmage. Meanwhile Lewis can’t hold his block for more than less a second. The decision to throw it up for grabs wasn’t smart but NOBODY, especially the coaches play call is helping him. The entire team is a sh*tfest and he’s taking the brunt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/more/top-stories/video-sam-darnold-throws-the-dumbest-interception-of-the-season/amp

Meh, they rolled him out to the far side of the field and the WR's didnt execute.  The play before that was a beautiful design, throw and catch but another terrible call by the worst league in all of sports. 

Sam's a moron, that's the problem. 

Just now, JiF said:

I dont believe for one second that he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds.  This guy tries to make plays out of nothing all the time and suddenly the light went off on that play to throw it out of bounds, yet it went directly to the intended WR?  

Some of you will believe anything.

I am giving him a "pass" on this one, and he has made some terrible decisions.

One thing about Darnold, when he speaks to the press he has always appeared to be truthful in what he did and what he saw. He has said before when he has tried to force balls and that is a mistake.

He is just too "awe shucks" to think fast enough on his feet (both in a presser and a game) to make that up.

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

How this isn’t seen as universal truth at this point is beyond me.  How many of his best plays are you holding your breath and shocked by the outcome?  The Robby Anderson Dallas TD is this years prime example.  Back foot lob that Anderson runs under.  Luck, mostly.

The fact that a decebt chunk of his game and highlight reel is largely dependent on luck is why you have so much variance in his play.

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The most glaring thing to me is the Mike LB made the play and I believe Darnold was having issues identifying  that in the Pat's game.

Brosy, they left Bell and Griffin in to block, thats 7, the OL scheme, players around him all suck and the team is poorly coached. He was probably like WTF the ILB came full steam untouched and his only three options were all running into each other 3 yards apart as he’s trying to unnaturally roll left

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am giving him a "pass" on this one, and he has made some terrible decisions.

One thing about Darnold, when he speaks to the press he has always appeared to be truthful in what he did and what he saw. He has said before when he has tried to force balls and that is a mistake.

He is just too "awe shucks" to think fast enough on his feet (both in a presser and a game) to make that up.

He's lying but whatever makes you feel better about it.  All good in the hood. 

Just now, JiF said:

He's lying but whatever makes you feel better about it.  All good in the hood. 

If you look at the play, he has lost all leverage on the ability to direct the ball and to direct it with authority. If it was a clean release, I could understand your point of trying to make a play.

It is just a flutterball, that is one hell of an ability to control a ball in all those conditions. He just lost leverage on throwing it away.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, they rolled him out to the far side of the field and the WR's didnt execute.  The play before that was a beautiful design, throw and catch but another terrible call by the worst league in all of sports. 

Sam's a moron, that's the problem. 

I just realized it wasn’t short side of the field my bad there. But that play call was an abomination on second and goal on a crucial drive...then with 7 they let a blitzing LB inside untouched. So bad design plus horrible execution and the ball slips out of his hands. I agree he’s not looking good, but it’s like this team is so bad in so many ways, it’s sorta not fair to blame the 22 year old second year QB. Yet. Imo

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you look at the play, he has lost all leverage on the ability to direct the ball and to direct it with authority. If it was a clean release, I could understand your point of trying to make a play.

It is just a flutterball, that is one hell of an ability to control a ball in all those conditions. He just lost leverage on throwing it away.

That’s why he should have been rolling right, a much easier release and he could have run it in.  

• Upvote 1

Just watch #75 for the first six seconds of this video. He lazily jogs out to the left to "block" the guy who's covering LeVeon Bell, leaving open a mile-wide hole for McMillan to run through unimpeded. If Edoga LITERALLY DIED and fell down, he would have been more effective on this play, and it's, at worst, an incompletion. How is Darnold supposed to play football under these conditions?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Just watch #75 for the first six seconds of this video. He lazily jogs out to the left to "block" the guy who's covering LeVeon Bell, leaving open a mile-wide hole for McMillan to run through unimpeded. If Edoga LITERALLY DIED and fell down, he would have been more effective on this play, and it's, at worst, an incompletion. How is Darnold supposed to play football under these conditions?

And yet, this was really his only bad throw.  The entire offense sucked in the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Can everybody realize there’s no safety valve, RB and TE in-line blocking and his only option are Three bunched WRs who can’t even get off the line or out of the way of each other. Not to mention he’s rolling left w an unblocked LB coming full steam. What I’m saying is he’s only a piece of a 5 tier sh*tfest 

Just now, HessStation said:

Can everybody realize there’s no safety valve, RB and TE in-line blocking and his only option are Three bunched WRs who can’t even get off the line or out of the way of each other. Not to mention he’s rolling left w an unblocked LB coming full steam. What I’m saying is he’s only a piece of a 5 tier sh*tfest 

You're upset that Gase only gave Darnold three options on this relatively simple passing play? 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was a lot of this going on.

The thought that Jets offensive line coach Frank Pollack formerly played this game at a somewhat competent level, and is allowing this type of effort is mind-boggling. 

Not that he has been given any sharp tools to work with here.

• Upvote 1

Robbie Anderson ultimately destroyed the play because he’s a tiny stick that gets pushed around easily. He was supposed to move his defender off the line and into the path of Crowders defender. Instead Anderson got blown up at the line and pushed into Crowder. That destroyed the play, Darnold just decided to pour gasoline on it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, all of that information is readily available at the combine, and hand size is measured in QBs for a reason.

Yes, and when a LB comes unblocked up the middle on a blitz and is in the process of throwing the QB to the ground, studies show that QB's with larger hands make better throws than ones with smaller ones. I mean you have this documentation, right?

I mean never mind all the actual proof we have about how a QB should just take the sack in that situation, we need a QB that can make a good throw when that happens. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Watch the three options on this play.

The #1 wideout who is 168 lbs and whom allegedly received a top offer of a fourth round pick gets jacked up and the expensive 175 lb slot receiver runs into that dogpile. It's a mess, but it's an indictment on what this offense is working with and clatifying as to why nobody is getting open downfield

• Upvote 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Yes, and when a LB comes unblocked up the middle on a blitz and is in the process of throwing the QB to the ground, studies show that QB's with larger hands make better throws than ones with smaller ones. I mean you have this documentation, right?

I mean never mind all the actual proof we have about how a QB should just take the sack in that situation, we need a QB that can make a good throw when that happens. 

You've already positive rep'd yourself for this post, so I'm not sure I've got anything to add.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Please stop:

Sam Darnold is widely regarded as a lock to come off the board in the top 10 of the 2018 NFL Draft, but some are concerned about the size of his hands.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2018/02/28/2018-nfl-draft-hand-size-concern-sam-darnold/

Yes, and we were all thinking at the time this came out that his small hands are going to prevent him from completing a pass while he is being run over by an unblocked LB. 

7 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Robbie Anderson ultimately destroyed the play because he’s a tiny stick that gets pushed around easily. He was supposed to move his defender off the line and into the path of Crowders defender. Instead Anderson got blown up at the line and pushed into Crowder. That destroyed the play, Darnold just decided to pour gasoline on it.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Another bingo on a play that has so many gaffs from such a horrible team. The fact Darnold is taking so much of the brunt is sorta ridiculous imo. I get that’s part of being the QB but it’s hard to judge him in this disaster other than just being a young qb making a bad decision hoping to make something out of nothing ...or trying to throw it away and the wet ball slipping. I just don’t take it as a sign that he personally sucks..yet

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Another bingo on a play that has so many gaffs from such a horrible team. The fact Darnold is taking so much of the brunt is sorta ridiculous imo. I get that’s part of being the QB but it’s hard to judge him in this disaster other than just being a young qb making a bad decision hoping to make something out of nothing 

So hard to judge. Is Darnold playing bad? I JUST CAN'T TELL.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes, and we were all thinking at the time this came out that his small hands are going to prevent him from completing a pass while he is being run over by an unblocked LB. 

Apparently, you did not think this at all. You have already proven that you did not even know this was a "thing".

All I can do is help dissect plays from a mechanical standpoint. I can't do that from the perspective of the qb throwing the ball, nor can you. Darnold having small hands have proven in the past to be problematic. They certainly may have been a contributing factor in this play.