Why isn’t anybody taking about the actual design on the Darnold goal line INT?

there's another drive later in the contest 

the Jets are down 15-24 in their own 15 yard line with like 12 mins left in the 4th 

not an impossible situation, by the way, down 9, most of the quarter left

it's not like they've been shut out, in fact if Ficken hits that 50 yarder in the 1st half they'd only be down 6. 

so here's what the Jets do:

1st and 10 - obvious handoff draw to Bell. Winters gets destroyed. 4 yard loss. Brian Winters btw is the worst. 

2nd and 15 from their own 10 yard line, 

this is where the magic happens

the Fins show 7 on the line, drop out the middle and only bring the edges - the line steps left again but the real issue here is somehow 3 Jet OL end up on one dude, 2 on another, Bell gets the "strong side" but somehow Darnold's right side becomes his blind side and he gets creamed 

there is a solution to this by the way 

Darnold recognises it and keeps Griffin inside OR hit him right away (84 running free and clear) 

another solution is to ya know - see the front side pressure with his eyes

to expect Shell to step left with everyone else and then come back to his right to get the 7th man disguised is I guess the best case scenario but he'd be free lancing at that point. they'd have to change the blocking call. Again none of this happens they just line up and go.  

by the way it looked atrocious when it happened

but Sam had 2 full seconds, almost 2 and half before he gets blasted 

enough time to get it out or something 

He makes 1 read and he's sticking to it the whole way 

HE NEVER SEES THE FRONT SIDE PRESSURE (!)

defensive coordinators are realizing if you can bring pressure away from his read (and cover his 1 read) he's going to panic and give up the football 

and the only short routes Gase are calling are these obvious WR screens 

neither Gase nor Sam have a plan for the blitz it would appear 

I've been hard on Sam but Gase's coaching is basically negligent at this point. they are actively ruining Darnold every game Gase keeps the headset 

darnold.JPG

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, HessStation said:

The decision to throw it up for grabs wasn’t smart but NOBODY, especially the coaches play call is helping him. The entire team is a sh*tfest and he’s taking the brunt.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/more/top-stories/video-sam-darnold-throws-the-dumbest-interception-of-the-season/amp

This is they key point of your post. Darnold has been saddled with nightmarish coaching and completely substandard players around him 1.5 seasons in to his NFL career. He's going to be a very good QB when/if he's in a good system - i.e. competent coaching and supporting cast.

Btw: Peyton, Steve Young, and other greats had WORSE starts to their careers than Darnold.

6 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Except he wasn't...he tried to give Crowder a chance in triple coverage...

...and if Crowder weren't 5'6" and actually tried he should have gotten a PI call. 

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The ball comes out poorly, which makes me believe the throw away scenario.

Darnold has smallish hands and that is what happens in tight quarters with small handed QB's

Mmm, dreamy.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can’t believe we hired yet ANOTHER coach that calls the bad plays. What are the odds?

Chris Johnson, sitting across the table from future Jets head coach Brian Schottenheimer. The room is dark except for a single lightbulb ominously swaying on a wire hung directly over the table. Johnson speaks: "Tell me, Brian. Will you call the good plays...….or the bad ones?"

• Haha 1

You know what I see when I watch that clip? I see a stringbean WR that can be pushed off his intended route like a feather. I see another WR that's like 5-nothing unable to make space to box out a defender. I see Chuma Edoga thinking about his next Jalupa from Taco Bell & a Dolphin defender screaming in on Darnold before he can turn his body to try & throw. If we're expecting Sam Darnold to always have to avoid heat seeking defenders like he's a bullfighter in Spain before he can even set his feet properly then I personally think we're asking to much of the young chap.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You know what I see when I watch that clip? I see a stringbean WR that can be pushed off his intended route like a feather. I see another WR that's like 5-nothing unable to make space to box out a defender. I see Chuma Edoga thinking about his next Jalupa from Taco Bell & a Dolphin defender screaming in on Darnold before he can turn his body to try & throw. If we're expecting Sam Darnold to always have to avoid heat seeking defenders like he's a bullfighter in Spain before he can even set his feet properly then I personally think we're asking to much of the young chap.

At the point where you refer to a football player as a "chap" he is too far gone to save.