Was Bell benched??

Snell41

There was a point in the game where Powell was in for an extended period and they showed Bell looking perfectly fine on the sideline. I didn’t see an injury or anything. Ironically this wasn’t long after he made a great block on a blitz pickup. Reason I ask is not long after he returned there was a play where he was staying back to block and he deliberately turned left where no one was coming and allowed the defender (I believe #40) from the right a completely clean shot on Darnold for the sack. That defender was obviously coming presnap and Bell should have easily recognized it, to the point it almost felt like he let the guy go on purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

27 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

There was a point in the game where Powell was in for an extended period and they showed Bell looking perfectly fine on the sideline. I didn’t see an injury or anything. Ironically this wasn’t long after he made a great block on a blitz pickup. Reason I ask is not long after he returned there was a play where he was staying back to block and he deliberately turned left where no one was coming and allowed the defender (I believe #40) from the right a completely clean shot on Darnold for the sack. That defender was obviously coming presnap and Bell should have easily recognized it, to the point it almost felt like he let the guy go on purpose.

Bell saved Darnold's butt on a few occasions yesterday. He did miss one, but who knows if that was even his assignment. 

Either way, virtually all RBs get plays/series off in every game. Bell may not be wracking big numbers in this offense but he is doing his job as well as anyone can expect and is the last player on this team that would get benched. 

So the simple answer is, No. 

16 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

Possibly.  You never know with Gase.  Bell seems to take to long to hit the hole sometimes.  Maybe a bad fit with this Oline.  I think Gase is just looking for a spark.  Nothing is working for him at this point.   

Lol @ this oline creating holes.

They only create holes for the defense to run through. 

• Upvote 2

Bell saved Darnold's butt on a few occasions yesterday. He did miss one, but who knows if that was even his assignment. 
Either way, virtually all RBs get plays/series off in every game. Bell may not be wracking big numbers in this offense but he is doing his job as well as anyone can expect and is the last player on this team that would get benched. 
So the simple answer is, No. 

A play or two for a blow, sure. This was like 2 straight series. I don’t think he was just getting rest. He was by the bench helmet off with a wtf kind of smile, something seemed off.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

A play or two for a blow, sure. This was like 2 straight series. I don’t think he was just getting rest. He was by the bench helmet off with a wtf kind of smile, something seemed off.

I went through the game logs. He had a carry or catch in all but 2 series.  

1- One series that Powell played

2- The safety that had only 1 play. 

He was never benched for 2 series. He saved Darnold on a number of blitz pick ups. He MAY have missed a blitz pick up where Darnold got killed but that could have easily been one of our trash OL's jobs. I think  you are reaching. 

I went through the game logs. He had a carry or catch in all but 2 series.  
1- One series that Powell played
2- The safety that had only 1 play. 
He was never benched for 2 series. He saved Darnold on a number of blitz pick ups. He MAY have missed a blitz pick up where Darnold got killed but that could have easily been one of our trash OL's jobs. I think  you are reaching. 

Fair enough, it seemed very noticeable at the time but I’ll defer.

Gase probably thinks he's "KEEPING HIM FRESH". Laughable. Maybe hit the guy in the flat, or run some plays designed for Bell to use him to his full ability. How many time have you seen Sam throw an incomplete pass and Bell is wide open 2 or 3 yards off the line of scrimmage? I know 90% of the time that's on Sam but you have to utilize what you have.