Are there any other NFL teams with our funky HC/GM Reporting Structure?

Nobody has this. Nobody has football guys answering to the children of the owners of a babypowder company on football decisions. We had Chris Johnson lead the HC search and landed on Gase because Peyton called him from the Nationwide insurance commercial studio and told him Gase was good. Now we're in what seems like the 17th rebuild in the 19 years the Johnsons have owned the team and the cycle is restarting. The Johnsons are this teams Achilles heel and we'll continue to be a laughing stock in the league until they sell. I love this team and will never abandon it but there's no way in hell I'm giving them another cent as long as the BabyPowderBoys are calling the shots and I encourage you guys to do the same. It's the only way things could possibly change 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Chris Johnson wanted to fix the Jets today, he could step up to a microphone this afternoon and read the following (Aaron Sorkin hat):

"[insert salutations] I am here to announce a few organizational moves we...I...have decided to make. As of today, Adam Gase has been relieved of his duties as Head Coach of the New York Jets franchise. I know Adam worked very hard and did everything he could to get the team on the right track, but it seemed to anyone who was watching us play that we were not heading in the right direction. I thank Adam for all of his hard work, but we...I...felt like we needed to make a move right now in order to start the evaluation process for next year and beyond. Dowell Loggains has similarly been relieved. Gregg Williams will assume head coaching responsibilities for the remainder of the season, and he'll be available to speak to you guys later today. 

Additionally, I am firing myself, at least from the football side of things. When I, along with Joe Douglas, evaluated where we had gone off the rails, I came to see that my interjections had become a common denominator in our many failings, and it only seems right that I should hold myself accountable as well. I will remain active on the business side, but at this point it is clear that I need to get out of the way on the football side and let these good men and women do their work unimpeded.

Also, and last but not least, I am proud to announce that Ozzie Newsome has agreed to come in and assume the duties of Vice President of Football Operations, where he will oversee day to day operations of the football side, assisting Joe Douglas in reshaping the team, evaluating the coaching situation, and providing oversight of all things from a football perspective. I have talked to Joe about this and he's very excited about the opportunity to reunite with Ozzie in an effort to better the team, and the working environment here at Florham Park. Ozzie will be available later in the week. Thank you."     

This may be the greatest @T0mShane post ever. 
I 100% agree and would support this

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

If anyone knows, I'd be grateful for the education.  I am trying to understand whether there is any incentive for RWJ / CJ to keep things the way they are, or whether this is borne out of rank idiocy (or both).

i believe about half of the teams are like this.  it's certainly more than just a handful.

58 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Chris Johnson wanted to fix the Jets today, he could step up to a microphone this afternoon and read the following (Aaron Sorkin hat):

"[insert salutations] I am here to announce a few organizational moves we...I...have decided to make. As of today, Adam Gase has been relieved of his duties as Head Coach of the New York Jets franchise. I know Adam worked very hard and did everything he could to get the team on the right track, but it seemed to anyone who was watching us play that we were not heading in the right direction. I thank Adam for all of his hard work, but we...I...felt like we needed to make a move right now in order to start the evaluation process for next year and beyond. Dowell Loggains has similarly been relieved. Gregg Williams will assume head coaching responsibilities for the remainder of the season, and he'll be available to speak to you guys later today. 

Additionally, I am firing myself, at least from the football side of things. When I, along with Joe Douglas, evaluated where we had gone off the rails, I came to see that my interjections had become a common denominator in our many failings, and it only seems right that I should hold myself accountable as well. I will remain active on the business side, but at this point it is clear that I need to get out of the way on the football side and let these good men and women do their work unimpeded.

Also, and last but not least, I am proud to announce that Ozzie Newsome has agreed to come in and assume the duties of Vice President of Football Operations, where he will oversee day to day operations of the football side, assisting Joe Douglas in reshaping the team, evaluating the coaching situation, and providing oversight of all things from a football perspective. I have talked to Joe about this and he's very excited about the opportunity to reunite with Ozzie in an effort to better the team, and the working environment here at Florham Park. Ozzie will be available later in the week. Thank you."     

How do we "at" Chris Johnson?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Cowboys:  Garrett answers directly to the Owner AND GM, Jerry Jones
  • Dolphins:  HC/GM report to  Owner Stephen Ross
  • Chiefs:  Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach report to Owner/Chairman Clark Hunt.  Though of course Reid has a lot more power than Veach.
  • Chargers:  GM/HC report to Owner Dean Spanos
  • Giants:  GM/HC report to Owner John Mara
  • 49ers:  GM/HC report to Owner Jed York
  • Seahawks:  GM/HC reports to Owner Paul Allen.  Though of course Pete Carroll has tons of power there.  
  • Rams:  GM/HC report to Owner Stan Kroenke.  Though of course Sean McVay has tons of power there.  

And of course in Dallas and Cincy, the Owner IS the GM (Jerry Jones, Mike Brown).  And Belichick is the HC and GM of the Patriots, answering to Kraft.  

Mixed results in the organizations above.  But the structure can work IF the Owner knows what he's doing.  Ours doesn't.  It's simple as that.  

This is very helpful, thank you.  I was googling it.

Paul Allen of the Seahawks is dead.  His sister may be involved, but I think they have a senior football person.  

The issue is somewhat the structure, and somewhat the Johnsons.  The Johnsons are not very smart people who have never accomplished anything meaningful in their lives.  They have owned the team almost 20 years.   The other owners who manage have been either doing it longer (themselves or their families) or are otherwise professionally successful and capable.  

The Johnsons are clearly people who should have handed over operations to a professional executive-like the owner of the Ravens did with Ozzie.  You don’t hear about him too much.   I presume DeCosta has similar power.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Additionally, I am firing myself, at least from the football side of things. When I, along with Joe Douglas, evaluated where we had gone off the rails, I came to see that my interjections had become a common denominator in our many failings, and it only seems right that I should hold myself accountable as well. I will remain active on the business side, but at this point it is clear that I need to get out of the way and let these good men and women do their work unimpeded.

stranger things chief hopper GIF

....and then I woke up....with my hand down my pants.  Suddenly realizing it was all a dream, I reached for the bottle of vodka next to my bed only to remember it was empty because of yesterday's efforts to kill my pain between 1PM and 4PM.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Additionally, I am firing myself, at least from the football side of things. When I, along with Joe Douglas, evaluated where we had gone off the rails, I came to see that my interjections had become a common denominator in our many failings, and it only seems right that I should hold myself accountable as well. I will remain active on the business side, but at this point it is clear that I need to get out of the way and let these good men and women do their work unimpeded.

james franco please GIF

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Cowboys:  Garrett answers directly to the Owner AND GM, Jerry Jones
  • Dolphins:  HC/GM report to  Owner Stephen Ross
  • Chiefs:  Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach report to Owner/Chairman Clark Hunt.  Though of course Reid has a lot more power than Veach.
  • Chargers:  GM/HC report to Owner Dean Spanos
  • Giants:  GM/HC report to Owner John Mara
  • 49ers:  GM/HC report to Owner Jed York
  • Seahawks:  GM/HC reports to Owner Paul Allen.  Though of course Pete Carroll has tons of power there.  
  • Rams:  GM/HC report to Owner Stan Kroenke.  Though of course Sean McVay has tons of power there.  

And of course in Dallas and Cincy, the Owner IS the GM (Jerry Jones, Mike Brown).  And Belichick is the HC and GM of the Patriots, answering to Kraft.  

Mixed results in the organizations above.  But the structure can work IF the Owner knows what he's doing.  Ours doesn't.  It's simple as that.  

It's more than what you listed. Here are teams off the top of my head where the head coach reports directly to ownership:

Pats
Jets
Bills
Chiefs
Texans
Ravens
Dolphins
Chargers
49ers
Seahawks
Rams
Packers
Bucs
Raiders
Steelers
Saints
Bengals
Cowboys

The Bengals and Cowboys are kind of technicalities because in those cases the owners are the GMs. Also, you could arguably put the Redskins on this list, given that Snyder ultimately calls the shots on HC hires.

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

It's more than what you listed. Here are teams off the top of my head where the head coach reports directly to ownership:

Pats
Jets
Bills
Chiefs
Texans
Ravens
Dolphins
Chargers
49ers
Seahawks
Rams
Packers
Bucs
Raiders
Steelers
Saints
Bengals

The Bengals and Cowboys are kind of technicalities because in those cases the owners are the GMs. Also, you could arguably put the Redskins on this list, given that Snyder ultimately calls the shots on HC hires.

I think several of those teams you listed above have the HC report to the GM who reports to the Owner.  But it's hard to be sure either way.  Structures can change quickly depending on who these teams hire.  

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think several of those teams you listed above have the HC report to the GM who reports to the Owner.  But it's hard to be sure either way.  Structures can change quickly depending on who these teams hire.  

The only teams on that list that you could maybe have a debate are the Bills and Ravens. I put them on the list because it's clear that, in each of those cases, the owners are the decision-makers when it comes to hiring and firing the coach. Bisciotti, for example, has openly said he considered firing Harbaugh a few years ago and changed his mind.

It’s becoming a more common structure because when it’s time to fire people, the Owner wants to know who was on board with what player, asst coach etc they don’t want to fire a coach when the roster was the issue 

andy Reid and pioli issues added to the idea