The argument for keeping Gase through the end of the season

If we get a real coach in charge in the interim, like Gregg Williams, we actually have a chance to beat the Redskins, Bengals, and Dolphins.

Why would we want to win those games?

Let's keep Gase through the end of the season, go 1-15, and get the top pick by losing all the remaining games.  Then we trade the top pick to one of these teams desperate for Tua and get a king's ransom in exchange.  This will make us a better team.

Yeah, Gase sucks and he shouldn't be here in 2020.  But keeping him in 2019 might be the best way to play the long game.

• Upvote 4

One problem, though, is that he's got to protect Darnold better.  Stop dropping him back with empty sets.  Keep a RB in nearly all the time to at least pick up the first unblocked guy who comes through.  NO MORE EMPTY RB SETS, unless a quick pass play.

I don't mind losing with this awful roster, but his offense game planning and game adjustments seem generally awful, given the horrible OL the Jets have.

• Upvote 1

**** that man. Gase needs to go now - if we are better with Gregg Williams then cool. At this point Gase is so bad, he's destroying the fanbase's faith in Darnold. The absolute worst case scenario is that Gase ruins Darnold and we're picking a new QB in the next couple of years.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

That's not the argument for keeping him.

The argument for keeping him is twofold.

1) He has been dealt some miserable hands.  Clearly, he has played his lousy cards like a donkey... but hard to know how much of this is running bad, and how much is poor decision making.

2) If you turn the team over to Gregg Williams and the team plays significantly better, you run the risk of being in a position to seriously consider the interim coach.

Whether or not the above are enough to not dump Gase... are an ENTIRELY different issue.   I really thought he was going to work.  This has been just abysmal.

what this team needs is to air it all out.  get the players, gase , williams  in a room and let them all just yell at each other.  and johnson needs to meet with his team too and air it out.  and then he needs to meet with douglas, gase, and williams and have a candid discussion about whether or not gase should be kept on.

I can't imagine Johnson firing a HC in mid-season after just hiring him.  However, I do think Johnson is feeling the pain and the heat.  He made a somewhat bold and unorthodox decision to fire Maccagnan after FA and the Draft, a move that raised some eyebrows due to the timing and made ownership seem behind the 8 ball (they were).  As I've said before, better late than never.  Could you imagine if Macc was still here with this going on?

Because of all of the above (and some recent history with guys like Steve Wilks) I think CJ would have no problem firing Gase after one season.  The question is who has his ear right now?  Who is giving CJ advice on this?  Does he have outsiders telling him, "Hey, this isn't really Gase's fault...the roster is trash," or does he have guys saying, "This is now twice that he's failed as a HC...and can't just be the roster.  He's lost the team."

But the real question is what does Joe Douglas say to CJ in private when CJ asks, "Should we look for a new Head Coach?"  THAT puts Douglas on the spot to either vouch for Gase or to possibly help execute his own HC search.

What a mess!

Here's the most important thing though.  We HAVE to find out if Darnold can be the guy.  It's Priority #1.  It took a decade (or more) to finally land a QB prospect that just about everyone agreed has Top 10 NFL potential.  There are always faults with any prospect as well as detractors, but Darnold was almost universally regarded as a Top 1 or 2 prospect in a loaded QB class.  If the Jets need to go get another QB then this franchise.... truly..... has....absolutely....nothing.

For the record - I'm in the Darnold camp.  I think he's the guy.  I've seen enough positives and multiple good games to know that he's coachable, has the right demeanor, and can make all the throws required in the NFL.  I also think there's a reason that other GMs called about guys like Bell, Leo, Jamal.....they thought the Jets would be dumb enough to maybe trade those guys.  Even other NFL GMs know not to call about Darnold like teams don't call about Mahomes or Aaron Rogers, etc.  Our QB can be the man.  He's a victim of both bad coaching a not having any talent around him besides Bell.

• Upvote 3

This team has 1) no direction, 2) losing culture, 3) dysfunctional, 4)  Bad O Coaching and 5) I would argue that the HC has already lost the team.  You say no, well think about the safety... not one JET tried to go after that...not one. 

Think about how this team has played... uninspired, unemotional and undisciplined.   Irregardless of the "bad talent" everyone points out... this team has better talent then last years team - which BTW played competitively in most games.  This team is not competitive on O in every game except dallas and is totally dysfunctional.

Time for a change and there is already a go fund me account to start bill boards

https://www.gofundme.com/f/fireadamgase 

Maybe someone can clarify for me without simply saying he sucks. Despite his losing record at Miami Gase had competitive teams. Miami for the most part never came close to what we are seeing with the Jets. 

it’s easy to say it’s Gase. And that may be true but there wasn’t this type of dysfunction at Miami particularly in his first 2 years 

let Gase ride it out. A new interim coach means a new offense for Sam to learn for a few more meaningless games. Then we hire a new coach and Darnold has to learn an entire new offense for his 3rd consecutive year. This is what happened to Mariota he had a new OC like every year. Not saying that’s why he was a bust but it definitely didn’t help. We can’t keep sampling coaches and coordinators until we like what we see while Darnolds our there looking like a deer in headlights.  He’s young and needs to grow and develop find someone and stick with him while committing all of your resources to quickly build a good OL

5 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Maybe someone can clarify for me without simply saying he sucks. Despite his losing record at Miami Gase had competitive teams. Miami for the most part never came close to what we are seeing with the Jets. 

it’s easy to say it’s Gase. And that may be true but there wasn’t this type of dysfunction at Miami particularly in his first 2 years 

Gase is horrible. I never wanted him. The reason He is THIS bad though is that while with Miami he had League average talent. This roster except for a few players is below League average talent. We are talking practice squad level talent and below. The former GM was terrible at talent evaluation to the extent that his drafts were so bad that most of his picks are gone and those that are still here will most likely be traded or eventually released. He has hit on few but even a broken clock is right twice a day. MAKE NO MISTAKE Gase has to go but the cupboard was pretty bare when he got here and you can't work miracles with nothing to work with.