To the Darnold Bashers

JetsLife

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm scared that every bad habit he has is being reinforced. He's not in an environment to overcome them.

I do think this is the biggest issue.  He was on an upward trend at the end of last year, and he seemed very promising.  And now the arrow is pointing down.

I personally don't remember any of these dumb-ass plays last year.  Yes, he threw a decent amount of picks - but they were typically misreading coverage / not seeing someone / etc.  This year, they're like Mark Sanchez plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

Sam has not proven anything at this point. It is and has been way too early to annoint him as our savior, yet many folks insist on doing so. Until he proves that he can be a first-rate QB, then I'm reserving judgement. What I do know is this ... Sam's bad habits are being reinforced routinely by Gase and, if  there is to be any hope for Sam in the future, then Gase has to go yesterday!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Yesterday during the game CBS put up a graphic illustrating Peyton, Steve Young, and other great QBs had WORSE starts to their careers than Darnold.

Yes, Sam could be a bust. But to categorically say he's a bust 1.5 seasons in to his NFL career amid nightmarish offensive coaching and supporting casts, is way premature.

I think most of the Jets fans have no idea how historically statistically bad this OL is, coupled with the ineffectiveness of a coaching staff that cannot make any adjustments to cover up how bad they are.  This is the perfect storm to ruin a young QB.  Something needs to be fixed.   at the bare minimum Gase needs to fire the OL coach and bring in anyone that has somewhat of a clues as to how to help this line

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

I think most of the Jets fans have no idea how historically statistically bad this OL is, coupled with the ineffectiveness of a coaching staff that cannot make any adjustments to cover up how bad they are.  This is the perfect storm to ruin a young QB.  Something needs to be fixed.   at the bare minimum Gase needs to fire the OL coach and bring in anyone that has somewhat of a clues as to how to help this line

I think most of the Jets fans don't want to accept what they are seeing with Darnold and want to find another excuse to shift the blame off of him onto anything else. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Yesterday during the game CBS put up a graphic illustrating Peyton, Steve Young, and other great QBs had WORSE starts to their careers than Darnold.

So?  Darnold is Darnold, not those guys. 

Every.  Single.  Variable.  Is.  Different.

21 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Yes, Sam could be a bust. But to categorically say he's a bust 1.5 seasons in to his NFL career amid nightmarish offensive coaching and supporting casts, is way premature.

Ok, reasonable.

So how long will it take for you to evaluate who Darnold is?  

Give us a specific time-frame, so we can understand how long YOU believe it takes to evaluate what a guy is.

How about by the end of next season?  That's my own feeling.  By the end of next season, no matter what else happens, we will know unequivocably what Darnold is or isn't.  

In any event, it's not like the Jets are moving Darnold (or moving on from Darnold) till the end of his rookie deal anyway.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He's 22. He has played 18 NFL games with an absolutely atrocious unit that is paying heavily for over a decade of neglect. 

The rush some people have to write him off is f*cking astounding but not at all surprising. Jared Goff would have been cut after year one if some of these posters were running the show. Laughable.

Goff isn't good though....

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Is it ok to say he throws ball to the other team too much?

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok, reasonable.

Give us a specific time-frame, so we can understand how long YOU believe it takes to evaluate what a guy is.

How about by the end of next season?  That's my own feeling.  By the end of next season, no matter what else happens, we will know unequivocably what Darnold is or isn't.  

In any event, it's not like the Jets are moving Darnold (or moving on from Darnold) till the end of his rookie deal anyway.

Tory Aikman was a great QB with a great line and a miserable QB without it. His stats dropped dramatically as his line become more eroded. 

They were not NEARLY as bad as the offensive line of the Jets and here are his last season stats. Mind you, he once said that had he had an ok line, he would have played for another 5 years.

Sam does deserve a pass because he is trying too hard to make up for a terrible offense, horrible OC and terrible HC. 

PASSING
Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2000 Dallas Cowboys 11 262 156 59.5 23.8 1,632 6.2 148.4 7 2.7 14 5.3 48 15 1 13 91 64.3
  • Upvote 1

I like Darnold, but I'm amazed at the emotional investment this board has in him, to the point where they have to go to crazy lengths to defend him. You say anything negative, and they swoop in ready to defend him from even the smallest of criticism. Surprising, considering damn near all the other QBs we drafted never had this long of a leash with the fans.

It's ok to acknowledge he himself hasn't been good. We can hope for the best, but not go crazy trying to make all these excuses for him and coddle him

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm scared that every bad habit he has is being reinforced. He's not in an environment to overcome them.

This could be a thing.  Looking back at Gase gushing about him throwing great balls in practice/preseason where his feet and shoulders were all out of whack is kind of scary in retrospect.  On one hand, I get the whole dont take what's great about him away but on the other, he has to develop the fundamentals too.  

5 minutes ago, King P said:

I like Darnold, but I'm amazed at the emotional investment this board has in him, to the point where they have to go to crazy lengths to defend him. You say anything negative, and they swoop in ready to defend him from even the smallest of criticism. Surprising, considering damn near all the other QBs we drafted never had this long of a leash with the fans.

It's ok to acknowledge he himself hasn't been good. We can hope for the best, but not go crazy trying to make all these excuses for him and coddle him

Sanchez was here for 6 years and Geno 4. They had too much leash. Both ended up doing nothing after the Jets. Jets fans are headed down that path with Darnold now too. Were 1.5 years in and he has more bad games than good or even decent. How much longer can you give him? What's wrong with making the decision earlier? Criticism from the media? Who cares anymore. The likelihood of Darnold becoming a top 10 QB is basically gone.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

End of rookie contract.  No sooner. 

It takes you five full years?

8 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Tory Aikman was....

Sam Darnold is not Troy Aikman.

The Jets are not the Dallas Cowboys.

2019 is not 2000.

Not a single variable is the same other than the sport being played.

Now, if you want to make a statisticly valid claim of possibility, list every QB who played as poorly as Darnold, then give us the % who eventually won a Super Bowl.  THAT would be worth something, if only to prove the exception to the overwhelming rule.

But threads about how this ONE other guy on this other team with other players in another era under other rules worked out.......worthless, tbqh.  100% irrelevant to here and now.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It takes you five full years?

Sam Darnold is not Troy Aikman.

The Jets are not the Dallas Cowboys.

2019 is not 2000.

Not a single variable is the same other than the sport being played.

Now, if you want to make a statisticly valid claim of possibility, list every QB who played as poorly as Darnold, then give us the % who eventually won a Super Bowl.  THAT would be worth something, if only to prove the exception to the overwhelming rule.

But threads about how this ONE other guy on this other team with other players in another era under other rules worked out.......worthless, tbqh.  100% irrelevant to here and now.

You are absolutely not getting my point. I am not saying that Darnold is a super star and not a bust. I am saying that in my opinion, evaluating him is IMPOSSIBLE. Kenny O'Brien went from being an upper echelon QB to a super joke. Do you know what the difference was? The O'line. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok, reasonable.

I don't know, why don't you research how many years since they were drafted did it take Vinny Testaverde & Steve Young to go to a team that had very good coaching staff, great Olines, and good offensive players like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Curtis Martin, Keyshawn Johnson, Kevin Mawae Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross. 

Let me know what you find out? 

• Upvote 1

He looks rank bad right now, and I think it's fair to have legitimate concerns about whether he's the future or not. At this moment, he looks as far removed from a franchise QB as possible. And it breaks my heart to say that. 

That said.....I don't think we've come close to giving him a good platform. We are terribly coached and he's had two years in a row without a dedicated QB coach, and this year with a clown as an OC - a patsy who just stands whilst the HC tries (and fails) to do all three jobs of HC, OC and QB coach. It's allowing Darnold's flaws to flourish rather than clean up. Similarly, the oline problems - not so much the lack of talent, but the sheer confusion, disorganisation and disarray - means he's constantly got at and is crumbling in front of the world. 

Bad circumstances don't give him a free pass, plenty of young QBs do well in tough circs (Deshaun Watson), and he is rightly getting a lot of stick. But I can't help feel that he cannot have got a worse deal than us. He might never have made it, but we've not given him a remotely fair shot at success. 

18 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

You are absolutely not getting my point.

Mate, I'm saying there IS NO POINT that starts with "Well, Troy Aikman did...." or "Well, Peyton Manning did...."  That is the worst kind of logical fallacy.

If any attempt at an argument starts or involves words like that, you're not actually making any valid argument in the first place.

I'll repeat, every variable is different.  One success in a sea of failure is cherry picking.  It has no bearing on Darnold or his future.  

I am saying that in my opinion, evaluating him is IMPOSSIBLE.

Then I'm sorry, but I don't think very much of your ability to evaluate.  No one gets a happy little perfect with a HOF Coach and wall to wall HOF players to be "evaluated" with.  The league is hard, bad thing happen, injuries happen.  Great QB's overcome it, bad ones don't or can't.

Is he in a bad spot?  Yes, absolutely.  Can he still be evaluated?  Absolutely.

Arguments to the contrary boil down to hope, not analysis.  His play, even in a bad team spot, can absolutely be evaluated and analyzed.

It's this kind of thinking that keeps losers like say, Adam Gase, here for five seasons.  Because I guess some fans simply refuse to see what's right in front of them screaming at them till they've seen it for five full years or more.....

We're literally back to the same arguments for Geno Smith.  "Needs time, and weaponz".  

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't know, why don't you research how many years since they were drafted did it take Vinny Testaverde & Steve Young to go to a team that had very good coaching staff, great Olines, and good offensive players like Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Curtis Martin, Keyshawn Johnson, Kevin Mawae Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross. 

Let me know what you find out? 

Why would I do that?  It has absolutely nothing to do with how Darnold will or won't succeed as a NY Jet.

21 minutes ago, King P said:

A terrible offensive line and even worse coach are more than enough to sabotage even the best of QB's.  Darnold has made some terrible decisions and his mechanics, particularly his feet, are way off.  Some of this is clearly his fault, and much of it is the result of a swiss cheese line that doesn't give him a chance to consistently set his feet and go through his progressions.  An O line that has nullified a premier RB and has allowed teams to bring the thunder to the QB often because they're not afraid of the run is not hyberoble, it's a fact.  Tough conditions for even the bluest of blue chip prospects to show any kind of consistency.  Hopefully, going into 2020 we will have a completely revamped offensive line and then we will be able to see if Darnold is legit or not.   

31 minutes ago, funaz said:

I think most of the Jets fans don't want to accept what they are seeing with Darnold and want to find another excuse to shift the blame off of him onto anything else. 

This may hold true for some.   But the reality is the OL is the worst in the history of the NFL.   NO QB has had more free runs on them according to NextGen stats then the Jets this year.   NO OL has missed or blown more block assignments then this Jets OL.   Pro Footaball focus has only given 2 Jets players a fair grade in any one game.  Edoga at RT against the Cowboys having the highest grade.  Overall the have the highest beat % of any OL and it's not even close.   So No I am not defending Sam's mistakes but the one thing I knew about Sam when he was drafted is when he is under extreme duress he makes mistakes. 

1.  CS needs to coach that out of him and they aren't.  Coaching Staff is lifeless and can't make any adjustments on any level. Let alone in game adjustments.

2.  The amount of duress he has been under is 10 times more than it should be. Look at the stats average time for a pass rush to a QB is 2.9 seconds.  Sam is 2.63.   Average time to throw is 2.8  Sam, you guessed it, it is 2.63.  Pockets are collapsing on QBs usually at 2.5ish.   With the Jets it's collapsing at 2.25ish.  He has no chance to get past his first read. 

3.  Again I am not defending Sam but get a functional barely decent OL around him and then lets see what he does.

4. Drafting another QB high in Rd 1 and not a LT isn't gonna help that new young franchise QB.  He will look like sh*t too

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Bottom line is there’s no way you can accurately judge Darnold behind this sh*t OL.

Now, if Douglas goes out in the offseason and significantly improves the offensive line, adds another NFL caliber receiver or two and Darnold is still looking skittish and chucking balls up for grabs...then serious doubt will absolutely creep into my mind about him being the longterm guy.

But I don’t see how the hell you could assess ANY QB with this putrid supporting cast. 

Do people honestly think that if we drafted another young QB like Tua or Burrow and put them in this same situation that we would see better results? I mean, really?

• Upvote 1