NFL rumors: Los Angeles Chargers moving to London?

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lot of hypotheticals there.  Do players in MLB avoid Tononto?  Do players in the NHL avoid Canada?

So much melodramatic hand-wringing over this idea, pretty funny.  It's a total nothing burger.

It'll be fine if it happens.  Why should WE care anyway, we're not Chargers (Redcoats?) Fans.

Geographically speaking, Canada to the US =/= UK to the US.

34 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Chargers would likely move divisions somehow.  This would be a big time realignment to get the Chargers to London and trying to schedule games with East Coast teams that are only a 6 hour flight away.  It sounds crazy but geographically you could put the London Chargers in the AFC East, the Houston Texans in the AFC West (like the Chiefs) and move the Miami Dolphins to the AFC South with the Jaguars, Titans, etc.

I read the same thing regarding division realignment. While it would mess with traditional rivalries (With Miami also moving to the AFC South) I can’t see how the London Chargers wouldn’t be in the AFC East... meaning a Jets road trip to London every year. 

27 minutes ago, isired said:

Let's not make believe that playing in London = playing in Toronto or Montreal. Or that NFL players living in London = NHL players living in Canada.

WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE PLAYERS!!!!!

Sorry isi, not seeing the problem you seem to see.  It's not like the UK is Somalia or something.  Most players play far from where the live in the offseason.

• Sympathy 1

WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE PLAYERS!!!!!
Sorry isi, not seeing the problem you seem to see.  It's not like the UK is Somalia or something.  Most players play far from where the live in the offseason.
You miss my point. I'm not saying its 'unfair' to the players. I'm saying that those who have a choice might avoid it, and the team would suffer for it.

Now that I say it out loud, fine, put that team in the AFC East with the Jets!
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lot of hypotheticals there.  Do players in MLB avoid Tononto?  Do players in the NHL avoid Canada?

So much melodramatic hand-wringing over this idea, pretty funny.  It's a total nothing burger.

It'll be fine if it happens.  Why should WE care anyway, we're not Chargers (Redcoats?) Fans.

London Redcoats would be great.  They would have the unwavering support of America when playing the 'Patriots'.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

They should.

If any doubt, just watch the Chargers v. Steelers "home game" this year.

About 10 Chargers fans vs. 50,000 Steelers fans.

Should never have left San Diego, but now that that is done, move um' to Europe.  Sure, why not.

As a Brit myself, I might even root for them if they move.

I thought you were Scottish? 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Geographically speaking, Canada to the US =/= UK to the US.

Depends on where you are in the US

I can drive 60 minutes and be at the Canadian border.

(Edit. Oops nevermind.  Didn't have my glasses on to see the slash in between. LOL)

39 minutes ago, isired said:

You miss my point. I'm not saying its 'unfair' to the players. I'm saying that those who have a choice might avoid it, and the team would suffer for it.

Now that I say it out loud, fine, put that team in the AFC East with the Jets!

Those who have a choice could also avoid New York for your ass-raping tax rates.  I don't see anyone hand-wringing over that or saying we can't have new York sports teams.

Would assume you would need Wembley or Hotspur's stadiums way more often than 1 or 2 times. Would the EPL, which prints money, go for that? What about preseason and practice? Sounds very difficult. Portland, Vancouver or Toronto make way more sense, and the travel and division issues would be minimal. And each place has a ready-made stadium. 

11 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Would assume you would need Wembley or Hotspur's stadiums way more often than 1 or 2 times. Would the EPL, which prints money, go for that? What about preseason and practice? Sounds very difficult. Portland, Vancouver or Toronto make way more sense, and the travel and division issues would be minimal. And each place has a ready-made stadium. 

Except those two-bit towns makes no sense.  

I presume you all understand why the NFL wants London, right?  Economics and new markets?  Beuller?  Beuller?

Portland does nothing for the NFL except dump another team in another minor market that will require material subsidy by the league in order to compete economically.  I like Portland alot, it's a great city full of cool hipsters, but it's not a "Big League" city.  

London has 9 million people (to frame that, it's ~3x more than Chicago, the 3rd largest City in the USA).  As a country, the UK has close to 70 million people of "untapped English speaking, violence loving" market.

Portland?  583 thousand people.  We gonna keep it domestic, fine, give it to Northern Virginia.  We're rich as hell, we hate the Redskins, and we have close to 3 million people here and growing more than just about anywhere.  Plop that team in Arlington, Alexandria or Fairfax County and it'll be just fine, Redskins or not.  The Virginia Generals!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Depends on where you are in the US

I can drive 60 minutes and be at the Canadian border.

It doesn't depend. The fact that there is no way to drive between the US & UK immediately makes my statement true.

The point is, using the Blue Jays or the Canadiens as reinforcement for the NFL to expand to the UK is deeply flawed.

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not seeing the problem.  What, you think the players can't handle a long flight in ultra-elite-level first class?  

What is your concern here exactly?  

No concern, bud. Just pointing out the fallacy in your reasoning that since Canada and the UK are both international, they should follow similar dynamics. The fact is, Canada's proximity, regulations and logistics are vastly different relative to the US than the UK's is relative to the US.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mexico City would make a ton more sense than London if the league is adamant about expanding internationally.  

they probably want both and China too 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Now we’re going to have a London team who has to cross the pond 8 times a season?

Logistically they put 2 teams over there and those teams share a North American HQ probably some place in florida or maybe NJ and they don't fly back and forth weekly... they would stay in one country or the other for like a month

2 hours ago, isired said:

Let's not make believe that playing in London = playing in Toronto or Montreal. Or that NFL players living in London = NHL players living in Canada.

No, living and playing in London would be much more awesome.  

I'm not sure why so many people think pro-athletes in their early to mid 20s would have a problem playing football overseas.  Most of them are single and move at a drop of a hat anyway.  I mean, where would you rather be, London or Green Bay, Wisconsin, Jacksonville, FL or Kansas City, Mo (to name three places?)  

The key to NFL expansion to Europe is getting two teams over there, like how the Dodgers and Giants moved to California at the same time. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except those two-bit towns makes no sense.  

I presume you all understand why the NFL wants London, right?  Economics and new markets?  Beuller?  Beuller?

Portland does nothing for the NFL except dump another team in another minor market that will require material subsidy by the league in order to compete economically.  I like Portland alot, it's a great city full of cool hipsters, but it's not a "Big League" city.  

London has 9 million people (to frame that, it's ~3x more than Chicago, the 3rd largest City in the USA).  As a country, the UK has close to 70 million people of "untapped English speaking, violence loving" market.

Portland?  583 thousand people.  We gonna keep it domestic, fine, give it to Northern Virginia.  We're rich as hell, we hate the Redskins, and we have close to 3 million people here and growing more than just about anywhere.  Plop that team in Arlington, Alexandria or Fairfax County and it'll be just fine, Redskins or not.  The Virginia Generals!

The Virginia Genitals 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

No, living and playing in London would be much more awesome.  
I'm not sure why so many people think pro-athletes in their early to mid 20s would have a problem playing football overseas.
Give me a few reasons why you think these guys would prefer living and playing in London as opposed to the US.
  • Upvote 1

If the NFL decides they only need one franchise in London, then it's obviously the Jaguars.  All parties have been working towards that end for almost a decade now.  I think the powers that be are waiting for the 17 game season which will give each team 2 BYE weeks thus alleviating travel burden.  Keeping dual facilities in JAX with new digs in UK would make sense so that they can be over here for 2 or 3 weeks in between games and then travel back to the UK for 2 or 3, alternating throughout the season.   

Awarding Jacksonville an expansion franchise in 1993/94 was easily one of the NFL's biggest blunders.  Jilting more deserving cities like Baltimore and St Louis set in motion the musical chairs that saw Baltimore steal the Browns and St Louis take the Rams.   Those messes have righted themselves but the Jacksonville original sin still remains.  Send them to London already.  It would add a billion to the franchise's value and the league would finally have boots on the ground in Europe. I'm not sure who outside the 15 Jaguar fans in North Florida would be against this happening.

10 minutes ago, isired said:

Give me a few reasons why you think these guys would prefer living and playing in London as opposed to the US.

For many of the same reasons 20 something year old athletes would prefer to be in NYC, LA, Miami or SF.   It's an amazing city, it's FUN and would present both professional and personal opportunities that you really can't get any place else.  

Have you ever been?  

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

They should.

If any doubt, just watch the Chargers v. Steelers "home game" this year.

About 10 Chargers fans vs. 50,000 Steelers fans.

Should never have left San Diego, but now that that is done, move um' to Europe.  Sure, why not.

As a Brit myself, I might even root for them if they move.

I thought you were a Scot?