NFL rumors: Los Angeles Chargers moving to London?

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

People b*tch all the time about west coast and east coast teams having to travel to opposite ends of the country.

Now we’re going to have a London team who has to cross the pond 8 times a season?

Putting a team in Canada is a helluva lot more feasible and that’s still never happened despite them talking about it for decades.

Still, one thing is for sure, Roger Goodell is the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL.

Not only that, but NFL Europe never worked. I don't know why the league is obsessed with putting a team in London. They've had some really terrible ideas in the past 2 decades. This would be the dumbest one.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So I live in LA and I can say confidentally that since the Chargers moved to LA I have literally not seen even one person wearing anything Chargers. Not a hat or t-shirt, not even one of those stupid flags that people stick on top of their cars.

Well, if that were the test, we'd definitely be moving the Jets to Siberia soon too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It makes no logistical sense unless you move TWO teams to London to reduce on travel a bit. 

And what division would you put them in?  The AFC East?  Oh joy.  

Mexico City would make a ton more sense than London if the league is adamant about expanding internationally.  

I was in Miami this weekend.  It was too hot the first week in November.  Tampa and Miami are unbearable in September.  Mexico must be hotter, and what about  their horrendous crime issues?

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I get it. It's just that you'd be a Scot rooting for an English team. :)

Well, Edinburgh and Glasgow would both be as bad as Portland, size wise.  London at least works, economically.

Personally, I love the idea of American Football being more global.  I'd love a European Division with one team in Scotland then.  Like the old NFL Europe (which I liked even if no one else here did).

I'm not posessive about our american sports.  baseball and Football are good enough to be played worlwide, certainly as good an entertaining as Footy is ffs.

For many of the same reasons 20 something year old athletes would prefer to be in NYC, LA, Miami or SF.   It's an amazing city, it's FUN and would present both professional and personal opportunities that you really can't get any place else.  
Have you ever been?  

Yeah, a few times - not saying that it's not a great city (food sucks though, unless you want to eat Indian 5x a week)... but I am not very similar to most NFL players. Those guys seem not to have to be pried away from what they're familiar with, for the most part. I think most people do, given a choice. So I'm saying the London team would be at a competitive disadvantage, as the players with greater choice are generally the more skilled and more veteran players.

Which brings up, I wonder what the NFLPA has to say about this - is playing for a non-US team part of the CBA?

44 minutes ago, isired said:

Yeah, a few times - not saying that it's not a great city (food sucks though, unless you want to eat Indian 5x a week)... but I am not very similar to most NFL players. Those guys seem not to have to be pried away from what they're familiar with, for the most part. I think most people do, given a choice. So I'm saying the London team would be at a competitive disadvantage, as the players with greater choice are generally the more skilled and more veteran players.

Which brings up, I wonder what the NFLPA has to say about this - is playing for a non-US team part of the CBA?

Ultimately if you are chasing the dream to be a pro athlete, location cannot matter.  Look at all of the U.S. basketball players that GO to play in Europe and Asia just to keep the dream alive.  This would be the NFL, so I don't think that London matters much. And a flight from the east coast of the US to the UK is only slightly longer than to the West coast.  Culturally, is it more of a shock to go from where some of these players are from to Green Bay or London?  I'm not sure a truly global city like London would be a harsher transition than Wisconsin.  LAstly, in terms of free agents -yes - perhaps London is a non-starter, but so is New York for many players who given the chance would prefer to be in the sticks.  Come to think of it, London gives an athlete the ability to play in one of the major capitals of the worlds and still be relatively anonymous and not the subject of negative sports talk radio!

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the London food scene.

What they need to do is shut down an NFL team completely, making all players FAs and then creating an expansion team in London and I’ll vote for the Jets to be shut down. That’ll end our misery. We can then pick the Shehawks, Steelers or the Ravens to be our teams. Or whichever team floats your boat. As long as it isn’t the lowly Browns, the only team managed worse than the Jets right now. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

What they need to do is shut down an NFL team completely, making all players FAs and then creating an expansion team in London and I’ll vote for the Jets to be shut down. That’ll end our misery. We can then pick the Shehawks, Steelers or the Ravens to be our teams. Or whichever team floats your boat. As long as it isn’t the lowly Browns, the only team managed worse than the Jets right now. 

I was thinking something similar.  Time to end the Jets franchise.  This obviously sounds heretical on a Jets board coming from a Jets fan, but barring a few good seasons since 1969, the Jets have been, if not the worst, bottom 5 in the  NFL with no end in sight.  

If somehow everything was to go the Jets way, better coaching, drafting, etc, we won't be competitive at least until 2021.  And that is if EVERYTHING goes right.

Realistically we won't be competitive until the Johnson's sell the team, but that assumes whoever buys the team is competent.  If not, we are doomed to decades more of laughingstock status.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Well, Edinburgh and Glasgow would both be as bad as Portland, size wise.  London at least works, economically.

Personally, I love the idea of American Football being more global.  I'd love a European Division with one team in Scotland then.  Like the old NFL Europe (which I liked even if no one else here did).

I'm not posessive about our american sports.  baseball and Football are good enough to be played worlwide, certainly as good an entertaining as Footy is ffs.

It really isn't about being possessive. It's more about being practical. It creates time-zone and travel nightmares. You think Thursday night football dilutes the quality of the product? Keep spreading the game all over the globe and it's only going to get worse. There's enough teams. If the NFL wants another European league, have at it. You can even play a World Championship between the two leagues. Maybe MLB should do that with the Japanese league.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It really isn't about being possessive. It's more about being practical. It creates time-zone and travel nightmares. You think Thursday night football dilutes the quality of the product? Keep spreading the game all over the globe and it's only going to get worse. There's enough teams. If the NFL wants another European league, have at it. You can even play a World Championship between the two leagues. Maybe MLB should do that with the Japanese league.

This ^

17 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It doesn't depend. The fact that there is no way to drive between the US & UK immediately makes my statement true.

The point is, using the Blue Jays or the Canadiens as reinforcement for the NFL to expand to the UK is deeply flawed.

Didn't see my edit I guess

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So I live in LA and I can say confidentally that since the Chargers moved to LA I have literally not seen even one person wearing anything Chargers. Not a hat or t-shirt, not even one of those stupid flags that people stick on top of their cars.

Probably because you live in Chicago.