Sign in to follow this  
BCJet

Gase - Douglas Relationship

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

While I understand that there is a little additional complexity to the situation considering that Gase advocated for Douglas to be hired, I really believe the narrative of "their relationship will stop Douglas from firing Gase" is ridiculous.

First off, Douglas is very well respected throughout the league and Gase pushing him for the job wasn't some novel idea where he unearthed a candidate that wasn't on everyone's mind from day 1.  

Secondly, I believe they only worked together for one year.  Now I dont have intricate knowledge of their relationship (and if anyone does please add it to the thread), but how can 2 people who work "together" for only one year, in different departments, develop a relationship that is so strong that its discussed in this level of detail.  Gase was the OC and Douglas was in player personnel, how often could they possibly have collaborated on the Bears roster.  Was Douglas really going to his coordinators for advice and in turn developing such a relationship with Gase?

Most importantly, Douglas is the one with the clean slate here, he didnt pick any of these players, aside from Kahil.  Unless he and Gase are absurdly close, why would he tether himself to a sinking ship even if it meant that someone who helped bring him here had to go.  Who would risk their career and the success of the team that essentially gave them their dream job simply because a firing would be a bit difficult?  

I really hope Douglas is seeing this for what it is and CJ can stomach paying 3 coaches because this mistake needs to be eradicated.  Go back to Matt Rhule and give him whatever he wants, start over with Sam and rebuild this team through the next 2 drafts and free agency. Letting a mistake continue to snowball will do nothing but ruin Sam and the franchise. 

tanny had a great personal relationship with mangini yet mangini was launched.  johnson makes the hring and firing decisions so whatever relationship gase and douglas have will not matter.

• Upvote 1

If Douglas ever wants to get another job in the NFL, he needs to get rid of Gase sooner rather than later and show he has the courage to act swiftly and decisively and correct an obvious organizational mistake.  Otherwise, hitching his wagon to Gase will eventually get him a seat at the local Starbucks right next to Maccagnan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Douglas ever wants to get another job in the NFL, he needs to get rid of Gase sooner rather than later and show he has the courage to act swiftly and decisively and correct an obvious organizational mistake.  Otherwise, hitching his wagon to Gase will eventually get him a seat at the local Dunkin right next to Maccagnan.

Fixed it for you.

Aside from that.  I agree.

• Haha 1

I would be actually FLOORED if Gase is fired under these circumstances. You can all ignore the sh*tty drafts, bad contracts, ridiculous amount of injuries but people in this business aren't idiots. They see the forest for the trees here & im telling you, if you jettison this guy before the season is over good luck trying to get a top guy here. I could be wrong but I honestly don't think that any coach other than some retread like Rex or some other idiot would take this job. GWs defense has stunk too, he could'nt get 1 stop vs Josh Allen in the 4th quarter because 1 guy got hurt, not 1 stop. 

I'll give these guys the injury excuse after the Bills game. We have ILBs, no CBs, no pass rush, no Oline, no #1 WR, no TE, It's futile. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I would be actually FLOORED if Gase is fired under these circumstances. You can all ignore the sh*tty drafts, bad contracts, ridiculous amount of injuries but people in this business aren't idiots. They see the forest for the trees here & im telling you, if you jettison this guy before the season is over good luck trying to get a top guy here. I could be wrong but I honestly don't think that any coach other than some retread like Rex or some other idiot would take this job. GWs defense has stunk too, he could'nt get 1 stop vs Josh Allen in the 4th quarter because 1 guy got hurt, not 1 stop. 

I'll give these guys the injury excuse after the Bills game. We have ILBs, no CBs, no pass rush, no Oline, no #1 WR, no TE, It's futile. 

D547D317-DD06-4CFB-9DA3-B09E1A2741AC.thumb.jpeg.6aaa9ea7c52a57375911f2a0e31592b6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

, I really believe the narrative of "their relationship will stop Douglas from firing Gase" is ridiculous

Only internet stormtroopers believe that Douglas can’t/won’t participate in Gase’s jettison. It’s part of the business. 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

D547D317-DD06-4CFB-9DA3-B09E1A2741AC.thumb.jpeg.6aaa9ea7c52a57375911f2a0e31592b6.jpeg

They are not firing him. If I'm wrong I'll come back & take the heat but you can't get on the same page with different players EVERY WEEK. The only reason Sanu caught so many passes Sunday Night is he has Tom Brady throwing to him & the Ravens had 3 guys chasing Edelman around. 

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I am wondering if the move here would be to demote Gase to OC and try to find a true HC of the entire team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

i think the more likely move would be, douglas reaches back to his balt/phily connections and hires from there. 

Bowles will still be on the payroll next year. Gase probably signed a four year deal (don’t recall the details ever getting out there), so if he’s fired, they’re still paying him for the remainder of his contract. 

So firing Gase would require a Jets team, fairly or not, often described as stingy to pay three head coaches next season, and two (at least) for the following two years, providing the new guy isn’t fired before his contract is up. What would be the odds? 

The money makes me think that Gase will be the Head coach opening day next year, perhaps  on a short leash with an interim guy or two planted on the staff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jetster said:

with all due respect the bold is total nonsense. NY is a premium market for starters. Secondly in my best herm edwards voice-why do people go to work? you go to work to earn money-if the jets throw lots of money at a top guy he will come without question especially considering they usually still get paid after being fired if it does not work out.

The Jets dont see the forest the trees or the leaves. The jets actually blind to all of them.

Gase was a horrendous hire. Anybody  that watched the dolphins the past two years knew what we would get. It is like those that some how though hackenberg was a NFL QB even though there was tons of game film showing otherwise.

A good amount of fans thought our current roster was a team that could be playoff team

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Bowles will still be on the payroll next year. Gase probably signed a four year deal (don’t recall the details ever getting out there), so if he’s fired, they’re still paying him for the remainder of his contract. 

So firing Gase would require a Jets team, fairly or not, often described as stingy to pay three head coaches next season, and two (at least) for the following two years, providing the new guy isn’t fired before his contract is up. What would be the odds? 

The money makes me think that Gase will be the Head coach opening day next year, perhaps  on a short leash with an interim guy or two planted on the staff. 

So if the NY Jets finish 1-15 you think Gase is still the HC going into the 2020 season that many sat would be our winning year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CTM said:

Not true. Behind the scenes Douglas is either going to knife Gase or support him to ownership. Douglas will be a big factor in Gase staying or leaving.

I stated a fact. Reporting structure is common knowledge.

You created a hypothetical by projecting the fools choice you’d create for yourself.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

Listen, if Gase completely loses the team -if they’ve actively quit on him en route to 1-15- I’d say all bets are off. Sure, he could be fired. But short of that, the money issues I laid out above, and the fact that the roster sucked to open the year and has been further decimated by injuries since, make me think he’ll be back. 

Put it this way: he’s certainly no lock to be fired. 

vegas had the over and under for wins at 7.5 win the season started-talent or no talent this team GREATLY under performed  all expectations. We just lost to a team that has been doing everything humanly possible to lose games this year including dumping and not playing the better players

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, Paradis said:

How is it that the jets repeatedly hire the coaching candidates who cannot do the most basic function of properly managing the clock? You litereally have access to the best football coaches in the world and you hire the dipsh*ts who would be outcoached by kids playing madden over and over again. FFS!!!

At this point they should have a damn clock management quiz baked into the coaching interview process.

• Like 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

How is it that the jets repeatedly hire the coaching candidates who cannot do the most basic function of properly managing the clock? You litereally have access to the best football coaches in the world and you hire the dipsh*ts who would be outcoached by kids playing madden? FFS!!!

At this point they should have a damn clock management quick baked into the coaching interview process.

the guy was shell shocked, sitting on the bench by himself in miami.  totally lost it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

vegas had the over and under for wins at 7.5 win the season started-talent or no talent this team GREATLY under performed  all expectations. We just lost to a team that has been doing everything humanly possible to lose games this year including dumping and not playing the better players

Any optimism about the Jets hopes centered on Darnold, and he has not produced. Again, crap circumstances with Enunwa, Herndon, the OL, mono, and now Bell, but he hasn’t risen above. Is that on Gase? It might be. If that’s what they decide at the end of the year, I hope he is canned. I just have a tough time picturing the Jets paying three head coaches next year. If he does get fired, Douglas will have done him like Gase did Mac. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the guy was shell shocked, sitting on the bench by himself in miami.  totally lost it.

shoulda left him sitting on the damn bench in Miami.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Douglas doesn’t have the authority to fire Gase, so it’s irrelevant.

Correct.  Adam Gase is the top dog in this organization.  He hired douglas and runs everything.  Johnson would need to fire gase and promote douglas, then letting douglas hire the coach to work under him.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Correct.  Jet fans think these players/coaches are shiny new toys when we get them.  They are not.  They come with a history.  Gase was a total disaster in miami.  And its the same thing here.

Unfortunately, the same thing can be said about Sam Darnold.  Outside of a nationally televised rose bowl game, he was average at best in college and was a turnover machine.  hes the same thing here.

History tells you a lot if you study it.

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

While I understand that there is a little additional complexity to the situation considering that Gase advocated for Douglas to be hired, I really believe the narrative of "their relationship will stop Douglas from firing Gase" is ridiculous.

First off, Douglas is very well respected throughout the league and Gase pushing him for the job wasn't some novel idea where he unearthed a candidate that wasn't on everyone's mind from day 1.  

Secondly, I believe they only worked together for one year.  Now I dont have intricate knowledge of their relationship (and if anyone does please add it to the thread), but how can 2 people who work "together" for only one year, in different departments, develop a relationship that is so strong that its discussed in this level of detail.  Gase was the OC and Douglas was in player personnel, how often could they possibly have collaborated on the Bears roster.  Was Douglas really going to his coordinators for advice and in turn developing such a relationship with Gase?

Most importantly, Douglas is the one with the clean slate here, he didnt pick any of these players, aside from Kahil.  Unless he and Gase are absurdly close, why would he tether himself to a sinking ship even if it meant that someone who helped bring him here had to go.  Who would risk their career and the success of the team that essentially gave them their dream job simply because a firing would be a bit difficult?  

I really hope Douglas is seeing this for what it is and CJ can stomach paying 3 coaches because this mistake needs to be eradicated.  Go back to Matt Rhule and give him whatever he wants, start over with Sam and rebuild this team through the next 2 drafts and free agency. Letting a mistake continue to snowball will do nothing but ruin Sam and the franchise. 

There are a lot if people in my field that I’m “friends” with. Doesn’t mean I’d hire any of them for a prominent position. I don’t doubt that Douglas and Gase are cool. But that doesn’t mean Douglas would have hired Gase as his head coach.

“Oh yeah?! Then why did he take the job if Gase was already coach hmmmm?!!?!”

He demanded, a 6 year contract for a reason. Roster sucked and he needed a year or two for Gase to prove himself. He proved he sucks.

No one, especially Joe Douglas is putting their career on the line because “they were cool in Chicago 5 years ago.”

Gase is gone. He took a bad team and made them a laughing stock.

He took a young promising blue chip QB who flashed brilliance and regressed him, all the while putting him in horrible situations, until he’s a running joke in the league.

He’s isn’t anything positive. Gase will only be remembered fondly for being the man that knifed Mac (Thankfully!) and the man that gave us a our first real GM since Parcells.

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I stated a fact. Reporting structure is common knowledge.

You created a hypothetical by projecting the fools choice you’d create for yourself.

There's a fool in this scenario all right 

26 minutes ago, slats said:

So Bowles still keeps getting paid HC money while being the DC on another team.?

what a great gig.

32 minutes ago, kmnj said:

with all due respect the bold is total nonsense. NY is a premium market for starters. Secondly in my best herm edwards voice-why do people go to work? you go to work to earn money-if the jets throw lots of money at a top guy he will come without question especially considering they usually still get paid after being fired if it does not work out.

The Jets dont see the forest the trees or the leaves. The jets actually blind to all of them.

Gase was a horrendous hire. Anybody  that watched the dolphins the past two years knew what we would get. It is like those that some how though hackenberg was a NFL QB even though there was tons of game film showing otherwise.

A good amount of fans thought our current roster was a team that could be playoff team

LMAO! YEA OK! 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

tanny had a great personal relationship with mangini yet mangini was launched.  johnson makes the hring and firing decisions so whatever relationship gase and douglas have will not matter.

My gut tells me Gase gets another season.  Does he deserve it no.  Even Bowles got us close to the playoffs in his first year.  Gase got us 1-7 so far.   Best we can hope for is 4 wins.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

i'd prolly mismanage the clock too. i have to admit that the nausea would prolly overwhelm me.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

On the money. We all are going to see exactly what king of owners the Johnsons really are

"None of these guys are douglas's guys so he get s a clean slate so far"

Big strike one against Douglas for not getting rid of Maccs guys (Adams and Q Williams) when he had the chance.

He had a chance for a big reset with lots of extra draft resources to fix the oline and other positions and he either chickened out or failed to close the deal by over valuing these players.

Strike one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Douglas ever wants to get another job in the NFL, he needs to get rid of Gase sooner rather than later and show he has the courage to act swiftly and decisively and correct an obvious organizational mistake.  Otherwise, hitching his wagon to Gase will eventually get him a seat at the local Starbucks right next to Maccagnan.

He doesn't have the authority the make a coaching change.

• Upvote 1

Any optimism about the Jets hopes centered on Darnold, and he has not produced. Again, crap circumstances with Enunwa, Herndon, the OL, mono, and now Bell, but he hasn’t risen above. Is that on Gase? It might be. If that’s what they decide at the end of the year, I hope he is canned. I just have a tough time picturing the Jets paying three head coaches next year. If he does get fired, Douglas will have done him like Gase did Mac. 

3 paychecks is no problem for the Johnsons.

They’ll just raise ticket prices

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Douglas doesn’t have the authority to fire Gase, so it’s irrelevant.

Sure he does.. If he wants Gase gone he is gone. Unlike Gase, he is very well respected around the league. He is also on a 6 year deal.. If word gets out Douglas wants Gase gone and Johnsons stop it, we are NEVER getting a decent GM again as long as Johnsons are owners. 

That being said, I think it will come down the players. It may be a secret to us, but the players know if team stinks just because we had worst gm in nfl history for entirely too long, or it’s a combination of that and Gase. Come Jan when season is over, players will begin to opening talk. We will hear if they support Gase or not. So they will heavily decide on wether he is HC next yr or not..