Jets vs Giants Final Drive 1988

RonaldJet

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

How low have we fallen to reminisce about the good old days of Walton and Kotite? 

It was a great moment for myself as a Jets fan. There haven’t been too many as this series has been largely dominated by Big Blue.

In fact I think the best thing Bowles did during his time here was beat the Giants and break that streak. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

With a playoff spot on the line

The 80s Jets were very talented. The mid 80s Giants got it done obviously and deserve the praise, but had Walt Michaels not got drunk on that plane I think we would have at the very least saw the Jets appear in a SB between 82-88. The Jets underachieved badly with Walton and Hess hung onto him longer than he should have. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

The 80s Jets were very talented. The mid 80s Giants got it done obviously and deserve the praise, but had Walt Michaels not got drunk on that plane I think we would have at the very least saw the Jets appear in a SB between 82-88. The Jets underachieved badly with Walton and Hess hung onto him longer than he should have. 

We were young and on the verge, the biggest problem was QB though.  Todd and O'Brien had their moments but they both melted in big games.

5 hours ago, RonaldJet said:

It was a great moment for myself as a Jets fan. There haven’t been too many as this series has been largely dominated by Big Blue.

In fact I think the best thing Bowles did during his time here was beat the Giants and break that streak. 

The Jets had the lead early in the series, they win 4 of 6 after winning in 93 but after that game they lost 5 straight in 96, 99, 03, 07, 11.  The overall series isn't bad at 5-8, hopefully they can win Sunday and give us a rare good day.  We are undefeated at home vs NFC east teams this year ?

One of my favorite regular season Jets games ever, and definitely high on my list of all-time Jets games.

Rex losing and eliminating us from the playoffs in 2011, one of the worst Jets regular season defeats of all time. Absolutely gut wrenching. 

This week, the game will feel like our annual preseason game, lacking emotion, intrigue, and effort.

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

One of my favorite regular season Jets games ever, and definitely high on my list of all-time Jets games.

Rex losing and eliminating us from the playoffs in 2011, one of the worst Jets regular season defeats of all time. Absolutely gut wrenching. 

This week, the game will feel like our annual preseason game, lacking emotion, intrigue, and effort.

Technically that debacle in 2011 didn't eliminate us from the playoffs, we wouldn't officially be eliminated until the next week.

Remember the whole city rooting for the giants that week.  People were talking about how they could get past San Fran once they got to the playoffs.  It was a good day.  Expectations were for decent team in 1989, then JOe Must Go happened...

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Technically that debacle in 2011 didn't eliminate us from the playoffs, we wouldn't officially be eliminated until the next week.

Oh, I forget the specifics, but I know our playoff hopes were practically killed off and propelled the Giants to a Super Bowl, because of that game. Rex hyped the Battle of NY up so much, we ended up with egg on our faces...again.

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Oh, I forget the specifics, but I know our playoff hopes were practically killed off and propelled the Giants to a Super Bowl, because of that game. Rex hyped the Battle of NY up so much, we ended up with egg on our faces...again.

Victor Cruz making one play changed that game and the seasons for both teams.

We needed to beat Miami and get help week 17, the team we needed to lose won comfortably so our game vs Miami was basically meaningless.