RonaldJet

A defense of Adam Gase....

1 hour ago, RonaldJet said:

Did I want Adam Gase as the HC? Not at all

Although.....

I was willing to give him a chance, and while he’s been dealt a tough hand with injuries and Darnold mono the non-competitive performances the team is putting forth on a weekly basis are completely unacceptable in the NFL. 

With that said.....

I hate the way the media and fanbase is pinning the entirety of this organization (owners) incompetencies on this one guy. “We are going to burn you at the stake because we are pissed off”

Gase had not done a good job and knows he’s probably getting fired. It’s time to realize he’s a husband, father, and is doing the best he can at his job (just like anyone else). Gase identified 3 months on the job the incompetences of Mike McCagnans personnel dept and within 8 games of his first season  he has experienced more vitriol from the media and fanbase than McCagnan had  in five years. 

I agree Macc is more responsible than Gase for this mess but that doesn’t mean Gase gets a free pass. Gase has done nothing so far to earn him another shot as HC of the NYJ next year.  He does deserve the rest of this season but he had better show improvement.  And quickly!

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase wanted Matt Paradis and Maccagnan refused to get him. That’s the extent of the “input” Gase had into that line. If you guys think there’s a magical offensive scheme that makes Chuma Edoga and Alex Lewis look like functional NFL offensive linemen, you’re out of your minds. We wondered why Edoga was taken off the draft boards of a bunch of teams and now we know why. They suck and when the line sucks, it’s over for you. What Maccagnan did by ignoring the OL is ******* criminal and this is the end result. You don’t find good NFL offensive linemen on the street in June, and that’s where Douglas and Gase had to look for *starters* two months before the opener. 

Are we more talented than the Dolphins?

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Dolphins receivers were exponentially better than our corners. Their OL was better than our DL, their DL was better than our OL, and Fitzpatrick was better than Darnold.

Is that why we were favored in their stadium?  And why they haven't been favored all season long?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You saw the game. Did it look like we were the more talented team? 

Not at the head coaching position.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ok. Where else are the Jets more talented than anyone?

The Dolphins are the worst team in the NFL and are trying to tank.  Yet we lost to them, almost by double digits.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

You make too much sense. I’m amazed how some people here think they know exactly what went on behind the scenes with Adam Gase etc. They are a joke.

Gase should be given  a 2nd year  to prove himself. Hell Bill Belichick was about to get fired in NE in his 2nd year until the Jets and Tom Brady saved his ass

Belichick had a long history of success as a DC.  He also had the stamp of approval from one of the all time greatest HC's in NFL history in Parcells (though, in retrospect, who knows how much of that was Belichick). 

Belichick helped win 2 Superbowls as DC of the NYG.  What has Gase done in his career?  He was nothing special with the Dolphins and he's done nothing (at least so far) to earn a 2nd chance with the Jets. 

I'm fine giving him the rest of this season (since I don't see the benefit of replacing him right now) but he has A LOT to prove in these next 8 games.  Jacksonville and Miami were both winnable games and we lost both, fairly badly.  I was willing to excuse the losses with Darnold out but he's back now.  I realize he's likely still not healthy but a successful NFL coach has to be able to win (or at least compete!) despite injuries.

The time for excuses is up.  Gase needs to show something now.  Even SAR I said going into the Jacksonville game that "the season starts now".  Since we lost the next 2 games, SAR I now responds to everyone with "injuries".

5 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

What would the Jets record be with the same talent coached by the greatest coach in NFL history? (Assuming he doesn’t cheat)

I'm guessing we'd have 4 wins (Buffalo, Miami, Jacksonville, Dallas)

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1-7

Didn't you say earlier that Gase was doing a bad job?  Now you're saying that he's doing as well as Belichick would have?!

Just now, SAR I said:

The players aren't trying to tank.  The players play hard to put themselves on tape so that every GM in the league can see that they have value.

And we didn't lose by double digits.  We lost by a single score and conversion.  If Jamal Adams makes a positive play instead of a bunch of negatives, we win that game. 

SAR I

We trailed by double digits late in the 4th quarter.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Bill Parcells in 1997 inherited a roster that went 1-15 and he goes 9-7 the following year and his big addition was James freaking Farrior.

This pretty much says it all

• Upvote 1

I'll say this to the Gase defenders.  It's possible that he can succeed given a better roster if it remains healthy throughout the year.  But if he's only able to succeed in a "best case scenario", is that really a guy we should be rallying behind?  Considering how many injuries there are in the NFL, how realistic is a "best case scenario" anyway? 

So far, Gase has not shown that he's creative enough to overcome "bad situations" (e.g. having a crappy OL, losing his starting QB to mono for 4 weeks, injuries, etc).  I think the legit good coaches in the NFL at least keep their teams competitive in those situations.  Meanwhile, we got beaten pretty badly by the putrid Dolphins.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

What has Gase done to inspire confidence?  All his game management decisions have been bad.  He literally quit in the Miami game with 4 minutes left and three timeouts 

Gase has more double digit losses than wins.  That’s including his stellar Miami tenure

People criticized Bowles for surrendering.  Gase has now done the same.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Holy sh*t.  

You can't possibly believe this.  They went 4-12 last year.  Fans may spout playoffs, but they had to change a whole lot of parts.  That is the definition of rebuild.  They spent money?  That is how you rebuild.  Spend money and draft.  They have not had a good team or spent money in ages.  They have to spend it sometime.  

2015 was a rebuild year.  2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 were rebuild years.  Now 2020 is a rebuild year too.  

In today's NFL, it's very possible to go from 4-12 to 8-8 or 9-7.  The Jets had the #3 overall pick along with an extra 3rd rounder.  Plus we had over $100M to spend in FA.  That, and our schedule has its fair share of cupcakes on it.  This was a year that many on here had hopes for a playoff spot.

SAR I believed in this team so much that he posted that we would win the division this year.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Of course not, but it’s just funny how fans rallied around Rex up until his last day even when it was obvious he was tearing the franchise apart, but they’re ready to bounce Gase almost immediately 

Rex took this team to back-to-back AFC title games.  I can completely understand why some Jet fans would want to give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of extra years.  By the end, I was happy to see him go and I didn't think he deserved that last year that he was given.  But again, I understood.

The best defense of Gase is that "he had a crappy roster that was also riddled by injuries".  Fair enough.  But what exactly has he shown so far that screams "this guy deserves a 2nd year"? 

Through 8 games has he shown that he's been able to do more with less?  Has he shown he can overcome injuries and still keep his team be competitive?  Or is the idea that he's a great coach but only under perfect circumstances (a great roster that has no injuries)?

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if what you’re seeing is the net result of seven years plus of horrific roster management and this is the reckoning?

So should Bowles have been fired?  Or was he dealt a bad hand all these years from horrific roster management?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think you give him a second year because you don’t fire coaches after one year because that’s how you lose the ability to hire good coaches in the future. 

Fair enough.  But that doesn't have anything to do with Adam Gase.  It's just about appearances to the prospective next HC that he'll be given a fair shake.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He is destroying a potential franchise Qb right before our eyes.  If it is a mistake you correct it now.  There will always be good candidates, you just have to pick the right one.

We gave Rex and Bowles what, 4-5 years a piece?  Didn't help us this time around.

Strong points, all.  Not only can't we afford to let Gase ruin Darnold but we need to try to win the Superbowl on Darnold's first contract (as insane as that sounds) because he'll eat up a huge chunk of the salary cap in another 2-3 years.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The appearance that you’ll give the next hire more than half a season to get it turned around is kind of an important recruiting tool.

What about the prior 2 HCs, who were given 6 years (Rex) and 4 years (Bowles)?

Also, are you saying that Gase deserves to be fired but you just think we're between a rock and a hard place and so we have to keep him for another year?

Just now, T0mShane said:

Probably the OC of a college program.

No, we're talking about after the Jets fire him.

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

because you’re just going to end up with another baggage-laden dreg like Jay Gruden or, you know, Adam Gase.

So you agree that Gase has done a bad job then?

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The odds are higher that Gase performs well in his second year with a team in the second year of a playbook and a system they've learned as opposed to a new head coach starting us all over again.  Sam Darnold in his third offensive system is more damaging than giving Gase another shot.

He's got a 4 year contract and isn't going anywhere.  Wrap your brain around that.  Start talking about something productive instead of trying to get an unfireable guy fired.

SAR I

Has Gase done a good job this year in your opinion?  

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s wild: the constructive thing is to hope players come back from injury, Gase shows a little something, Darnold pulls it together with better protection, and you go into 2020 with a clear list of positional needs and a plan for free agency. Instead, we’ve got straight-up nihilists who just want to fire everybody in sight and then, somehow, hire some imaginary super-coach whom they absolutely cannot name, but they just *know* is out there waiting for Chris Johnson to call. 

Eric Mangini is waiting for that call.  My first call would be to Urban Meyer though.  And probably Jim Harbaugh 2nd.  And I'd reach out to the Ravens to see if they would be willing to trade John Harbaugh.  Same with the Eagles and Doug Pederson.  I'd even consider trading a 1st rounder (though probably not a top 5 this year but maybe a 1st next year).

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

TT, do you think any of the people you listed are plausible hires here?

Mangini yes.  The rest will be difficult but worth pursuing.  The Ravens offered up John Harbaugh last year but wanted draft picks.  It's worth it to check in to see if that offer is still on the table.  Urban Meyer will have way better options but if we offer him a Jon Gruden type contract, maybe he can be convinced?  Unlikely, but worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, when I thought that Herndon and Mosley were coming to the rescue.  And then they didn't come back.  And then more players got hurt.  And then our OL turned into a high school squad.

Meanwhile, no one is screaming about Gregg Williams.  It's fascinating.  We lost the Jaguars game and the Dolphins game because Jamal Adams is getting played like a turnstile and the blitz isn't working.  Gase has his hands full with the offense.  Williams is essentially the HC of the defense.  And no one says a word.

SAR I

Our OL didn't change very much from the Patriot game to the Jax/Miami games (where you said "the season starts now").  

OL vs Patriots 

image.png.9a21a75c915289ab681cdc617e155bf9.png

OL vs Jax

image.png.76bd604cfe44c5fb2405120b57855e4c.png

OL vs Miami

image.png.357d35d8c44635a14e0f3f3098990ec4.png

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you know how you go from 4-12 to 8-8 or 9-7?  Rebuilding.  I did not say tanking.  Apparently all you guys think you have to tank and that in any given season 3/4 of the teams are tanking.  That is bullsh*t, but we were/are rebuilding.   

1 is trolling you.  You didn't know that?

You don’t think SAR I believed that the Jets were winning the division?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What’s the next tier of guys who would actually take the job? 

Mike Tomlin should he lose his job. Mike McCarthy (who I don’t want).  There are probably plenty of coordinators that would take the job.  Same with college coaches. The Jets have bad owners but there are still only 32 of these jobs.

Keep in mind that we were able to get Joe D.  (Who was highly regarded around the NFL)

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Does anybody?  He is either trolling your or completely insane.  Does it really matter which?

I think most people on here believed him (and still do) when he said this prior to the season.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike Tomlin lost big ben, leveon bell and antonio brown.  And he has that team at .500 and right in the playoff race.  Mike Tomlin is having the best season coaching in his career.  

True but it seems like he has worn out his welcome there.  I guess we’ll see  

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Tuscany, you are attracted to Same Old SAR like a moth to a flame.  Drop him dude.  We have moved past people like him.

Lol.  I like to think that I was the first one to really call him out on his BS. 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.  Thank you for making my point.  The reason we lost all 3 games is because that is not the OL we built for victory in 2019.

image.png.dd4cc687d42ecf5d49a94be23600deb1.png

The Cowboys game, we had Kallil and Beachum.

image.png.b571086296cefc78726d53dc34895b4f.png

The Bills game, we had Kallil, Beachum, and Osemele.

SAR I

My bad. Kaila and Osemele were on their way to the Pro Bowl this year. Andyou knew  Beachum was out going into the Jax game. 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You may be right, but then most people are a gullible lot.  Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.  I guess this board is just a subset. 

So you’re of the opinion that SAR I knows that the team stunk going into the year and that Gase stinks?

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mike Tomlin is far from a paragon of coaching genius IMO, but he found a way to win 4 of those games.  How many has Gase won again?  The QB Tomlin lost is a HOF'er and he is not coming back. He won a game when his second stringer went down too.  Gase curled up in a little ball, like a turtle scared to come out of his shell despite having weeks to prep with his 3rd stringer.  When his #1 came back, the results have only been marginally better. 

Be careful. You’re getting sucked in 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Though, as I said before, that opinion is irrelevant.  I am 100% sure that either SAR 1 knew that and was trolling you, or that he is insane.  Once again, does it matter which?  "SAR 1 said it, therefore rational people believe it."   Is that your premise?  PSLs are investment gold?  I repeat my prior comment: Holy sh*t!

Lmao. You’re all right in my book!

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Man, you are having a rough week, you really should stop posting.

[Mike Tomlin is everything you claim you want Adam Gase to be this season.  A man without a quarterback and key offensive weapons still finding ways to win games]

SAR I

I don’t understand the point you’re making. 

Yes Mike Tomlin has been everything  we all want Adam Gase to be. Unfortunately Adam Gase isn’t having any of the success that Mike Tomlin is having. 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Are you disappointed that Sam Darnold isn't Tom Brady?

Because apparently that's what you think about our head coach, your expectations being so realistic and all.

SAR I

My point was that if the Steelers fire Tomlin (and there have been rumblings of that all year) that we should strongly consider hiring him (though Urban Meyer would be my first choice and I’d still look into trading for John Harbaugh).  

Now what does this have to do with Tom Brady/Sam Darnold again?

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company