A defense of Adam Gase....

RonaldJet

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

How do we reconcile the apparent unanimous opinion that Macc left no talent on the roster with the playoff expectations of this summer? 

The roster on paper improved from last year. The results have not. That’s on coaching. Macc being awful isn’t an excuse as to why Gase can’t figure out how to use Leveon Bell, continue Darnold’s growth, or properly use timeouts. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Gase doesnt have 8 games.  he has 4 years of this incompetence as a head coach.  Do you guys understand he ran the dolphins into the ground?

I feel bad for the ones getting left behind.  

Two of the worst teams in 2019 have been coached by Adam Gase in the last year. That’s not a coincidence. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, it's because I have never seen, in all my years, an Offense that looks and produces as poorly as this current Jets offense does.

He could be Rainman, muttering alone on the sidelines about Judge Wapner whilst huffing his "special smelling salts", for all I care.....as long as our Offense produces and we win games.

I get you (and SAR) are both deep in on trolling the Fanbase Tom, fun times, I get it.  But please, in a moment of seriousness, you cannot possibly look at the totality of this Coach's resume and see "future Super Bowl Head Coach" in it.....can you?

I don’t. I think Gase has been bad here, but I also think the fans are reactionary to the point of blind rage at this point. The roster is terrible and injuries made it worse. They look like sh*t. How much should we blame Gase for what we’re seeing: 50%? 75? That’s fine, but I don’t think fans would be having these spasms if another coach was 1-7 and took the podium after these losses and begged for stigmata.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t. I think Gase has been bad here, but I also think the fans are reactionary to the point of blind rage at this point. The roster is terrible and injuries made it worse. They look like sh*t. How much should we blame Gase for what we’re seeing: 50%? 75? That’s fine, but I don’t think fans would be having these spasms if another coach was 1-7 and took the podium after these losses and begged for stigmata.

I only blame him for what's under his control and he isn't doing a very good job. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye(s) here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Macc being awful isn’t an excuse as to why Gase can’t figure out how to use Leveon Bell, continue Darnold’s growth, or properly use timeouts. 

Except Macc built this horrific OL so, yeah, you can blame him directly for Bell’s struggles and Darnold’s debilitating paranoia

• Upvote 3

Gase does not have a real boss.  His boss is Johnson.  Gase' job is to try and win games.  He is failing while not developing and harming Darnold.

Johnson needs to finish out the season by telling Gase to focus solely on protecting Darnold, having him complete passes and avoid interceptions.  Let GW run the defense entirely.  Don't worry about winning-just give Darnold practice and get the OL to do something.  If Gase can do that, maybe he gets next year, but he should count on being fired after that.

If Gase cannot protect and help Darnold, Douglas should put Darnold on IR and let Gase finish out the season with Fales and whomever else they can find.  He gets fired on Black Monday.  

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The roster on paper improved from last year. The results have not. That’s on coaching. Macc being awful isn’t an excuse as to why Gase can’t figure out how to use Leveon Bell, continue Darnold’s growth, or properly use timeouts. 

Two of the worst teams in 2019 have been coached by Adam Gase in the last year. That’s not a coincidence. 

You’re not crazy, carl.  You’re one of the many here that understand football.  Our group is growing by leaps and bounds.  It feels good to know change is coming and we are part of that movement.

We are happy to have you CrazyCarl40.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Like, why aren’t fans having these seizures about Gregg Williams and his putrid defense? 

The O, and ST's have not pulled their weight you can't win on D alone it is intertwined. No excuses, they are missing players and sub par as well, but no excuses. It's all one big mess, again. Was better with Rex.

Edit: Least I got a Rex voice Birthday Card...

Mac was terrible therefor Gase is good or acceptable, wut?

Mac was terrible, Gase has shown he is terrible. 

Remove all the things out of Gases control and he is still terrible at the things he does control.

If this guy had a stellar resume of success you might think we need to be patient.  His resume sucks.  He is not magically getting any better.

I think it's fair to say that fundamentally the biggest problem with the Jets is that they have a weak roster because they've drafted poorly for 11 years now.

Rex Era Tannenbaum, Idzik, and Maccagnan all did a terrible job. It would not be easy to come in and win right away with this group.

That said, Bowles and his various O-Coordinators (Jeremy Bates included) did better with a similarly weak group of players. The team, and Sam Darnold, have regressed dramatically under his watch. If Adam Gase cannot to better than Jeremy Bates he's not the guy.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So your defense is basically he's only human and he's doing the best he can. I guess that's something.

This team stinks, no HC can with this roster. If you fire Gase after 8 games, no HC worth anything will take the job because they know they can’t win immediately and are witnessing how unfair this HC is being judged.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

The O, and ST's have not pulled their weight you can't win on D alone it is intertwined. No excuses, they are missing players and sub par as well, but no excuses. It's all one big mess, again. Was better with Rex.

Rex has a significantly better roster thanks to Mangini, and then he was exposed as Mangini’s players left. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac was terrible therefor Gase is good or acceptable, wut?

Mac was terrible, Gase has shown he is terrible. 

Remove all the things out of Gases control and he is still terrible at the things he does control.

If this guy had a stellar resume of success you might think we need to be patient.  His resume sucks.  He is not magically getting any better.

Who was your preferred hire and what would his record be today?

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Mac's failures were conclusive over years and years and nobody ever started a GoFundMe. Gase has had 8 games with a sh*t roster and the pitchforks are out. Much different timeframe of poor performance and much, much different fan reaction.

The truth is everyone is sick of the mistakes at HC. Nobody can just sit idle and watch our long awaited FQB be ruined, 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Did you feel bad for maccagnan when this scumbag adam gase went behind his back and got him fired?

Get out of here with this nonsense.  Gase is a manipulative, conniving, controlling, abusive man.

There is no place for this thread on this forum.  he is ruining our beloved jets and you feel bad for the guy.  Not even the revolution can help you. 

When the report came out that he was very standoffish on draft day I started to worry that he already had an agenda.  I felt that this was a sign he might have issues going forward.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll start. I wanted Matt Rhule and I think Matt Rhule would be sitting here at 1-6 after beating the Dolphins.

I would have given Harbaugh the keys and Rhule would be 3-5 with Darnold not regressing, Williamson not injured And the team losing closer more competitive games. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who was your preferred hire and what would his record be today?

Rhule because he is a head coach and a team builder not a coordinator that just wants power and more cash.

His record?  I don;t care about the record this year as much as how the team looks and the direction it is taking.

If the Jets were 1-7 and Darnold looked improved and the offense was not dead last in almost all categories and the team was making it hard for other teams to win then the beefing would be much less.

The team has little talent in the positions that matter and it will take years to fix this, that does not mean you nod your head and give the coach a free pass.

Win or look good losing.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Like, why aren’t fans having these seizures about Gregg Williams and his putrid defense? 

Jets defense, 17th in yards given up/game, 22nd in points given up per game.

Jets offense,  32nd in yards per game, 32nd in points,

Lets keep trying.

Mac was terrible thus gase is good

G Williams is mediocre thus gase is good.

Maybe the owner?

CJ and woody are terrible therefor gase is A okay.

• Post of the Week 1

Agree with the part how Maccagnan got off free. Even until his last day a lot of fans supported him. Media never really bashed him. It was clear early on that he was in over his head. He will go down as a bottom 3 GM of all time if you look at complete body of work (Overall record, big contracts [Revis, Tru, Wilk], and draft history). Much of the current struggles today are pinned right on him.

54 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

not wanting the head coach fired after 1 season, or 8 games regardless of how poorly it has been does not equate to seeing a future super bowl head coach.

If you don't think he is a future Super Bowl winning coach, why WOULD you want to keep him?

Playing for third place in the AFC East, are we?

• Upvote 1