Could Bucs lose Todd Bowles after just one season?

No he's not.  With similar talent Gase's Miami teams dominated Bowles' Jets teams.  We suck this year and Gase has done a poor job but there are circumstances with injuries and illness.

How in Earth is Bowles already up for another HC job after being so awful here for 4 years and doing a poor job with Tampa's D this year?

Because it’s a dumb speculative article with no real substance. That’s how

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

58 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They must be speculating a trade for the coach. There have been reports through the years that Steelers and fanbase are not totally enamored with Tomlin.

Imagine having the problem of not liking a SB winning coach?

Crazy.  A fanbase that wants to dump a coach like that!  It's like wanting to move on from a potential franchise QB after a year because he's not playing well with a crappy coach and no talent around him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

They must be speculating a trade for the coach. There have been reports through the years that Steelers and fanbase are not totally enamored with Tomlin.

Imagine having the problem of not liking a SB winning coach?

Where's Mike McCarthy coaching these days?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

cc: to those that want to fire Gase and “just get a new coach.” This is what’s available. 

If your parameters are "NFL dullard  assistants who will take your job and work relatively cheap", yes. It's remarkable that colleges are chock full or impressive coaches and this is the crap the NFL chooses to hire instead. Recall the Johnsons  said Bowles "lit up the room". If it was already on fire, maybe? 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No he's not.  With similar talent Gase's Miami teams dominated Bowles' Jets teams.  We suck this year and Gase has done a poor job but there are circumstances with injuries and illness.

How in Earth is Bowles already up for another HC job after being so awful here for 4 years and doing a poor job with Tampa's D this year?

Sorry, I disagree 100%, and I even think Bowles is a loser.  Gase is just that bad.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because everyone knows the Jets are a dumpster fire and it's difficult for HC's to win here?

Not sure what that has to do with sucking with the Bucs but sure, everyone who coached the Jets in the new millenium get another shot at it somewhere else. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure what that has to do with sucking with the Bucs but sure, everyone who coached the Jets in the new millenium get another shot at it somewhere else. 

Yes, he's sucking with the Bucs this year.  He didn't previously with Arizona though, and I'm sure Bruce Arians having his back carries some clout in league circles.  

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

THIS is why I didn't think it was possible that Gase would be worse than Bowles. I mean, Gase outcoached Bowles in every matchup!  

Gase has done a poor job, he's likely getting fired but I don't think he's had much of a chance with this group.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Except groh in the NFL.

The difference is the other 3 guys had success.  Herm won a division title, made 3 playoff apps.

Mangini made playoffs and had 2 winning seasons in 3 years.

Rex won 4 playoff games on the road and made 2 title games.

Bowles had 1 decent season with a talented roster against one of our easiest scheds of all time and still couldn't make the playoffs then went 14 total games the next 3 years.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Except groh in the NFL.

The difference is the other 3 guys had success.  Herm won a division title, made 3 playoff apps.

Mangini made playoffs and had 2 winning seasons in 3 years.

Rex won 4 playoff games on the road and made 2 title games.

Bowles had 1 decent season with a talented roster against one of our easiest scheds of all time and still couldn't make the playoffs then went 14 total games the next 3 years.

The difference in what? 

The way I see it:

• For the prior 3 years and last game of Bowles first season, Bowles did not impress me as a good HC and he needed to go.  In hindsight, part of this perception was created by the talent he had to work with that Mac provided to him, although it also appeared that Bowles had a role in selecting that talent.  FWIW, when Mac hit on Fitz, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and the OL was still functional, Bowles did win 10 games.  I still would not want Bowles back.
  • With a roster that appeared similar, Gase over the prior three years struck me as a better coach than Bowles.   He did appear to have issues in relating to players and managing the roster, and his time with Miami was up.  The thought was that he would improve on his management skills as the Jets HC.
  • Mac left Gase a terrible roster, and the Jets have suffered the injury bug terribly, but my impression is that Gase has not done an acceptable job working the garbage he has been given.   He did not have to do much, but having Darnold show so much regression is not tolerable.  Darnold's improvement and protection is all he really needed to do this year. 
  • Unless something radically changes, Gase needs to go, possibly as soon as possible.   I am not seeing him be the coach that develops Darnold and takes the Jets to the next level.  
  • Upvote 1

Todd Bowles NFL HC record with the NYJ:  24-40 in 4 seasons after inheriting a team that in the prior 6 seasons went 46-50 (and 4-12 in the last).

Adam Gase inherits a Bowles team that went 24-40 in the prior 4 seasons, including  going 14-24 in the prior three seasons.

And QED, Bowles is 'better' then Gase.  Got it.

Quite possibly neither are good...but let's spend our time arguing whether Syphillus or Gonorrhea is worse.

15 hours ago, Bugg said:

If your parameters are "NFL dullard  assistants who will take your job and work relatively cheap", yes. It's remarkable that colleges are chock full or impressive coaches and this is the crap the NFL chooses to hire instead. Recall the Johnsons  said Bowles "lit up the room". If it was already on fire, maybe? 

Oh yeah. I forgot the Johnsons said that hahahaha.  I'm not surprised that they have their own "special" way of keeping score.  You would have thought that maybe, just maybe, this question could have come up, but DIDN'T and if it DIDN'T why was that?

"So I see here you have been an assistant coach here for ohhh...OVER 20 YEARS, and with about 5 DIFFERENT teams.  Why did NONE of them over that over 20 year time frame not feel you were ready for a promotion to DC?  Over 20 years is a pretty LONG time to work basically in the exact same capacity.  I also see that when you were finally promoted to DC it was done by a Mr Ari ahhh Arians? Is that correct.  Isn't he your best friend? And when coaching for him, you had what?  About 9 Pro Bowlers on your Defense?  Well Mr. Bowles we're the NY Jets and we don't really have many or really ANY All Pros for that matter....what makes you think you could succeed in even a much tougher environment and not just the defense?  You're interviewing to be the Head Coach of our entire organization."...no one thought to ever ask this question?

14 hours ago, Reynolds1029 said:

You're absolutely right. 5-11 is so much better than 1-15. 

But who would you replace him with? Oh right there isn't anyone because all the college teams are outbidding the NFL in coaching talent.

I don’t know who I’d replace him with, I am not privy to the interviews.