our WORST free-agent signing in History is.. ? ? ?

kelly

The New York Jets have had a lot of terrible free-agent signings, but none have been worse than Trumaine Johnson. Here are all the details.

The New York Jets have struggled with fixing the corner position since the Darrelle Revis, and Antonio Cromartie era ended years ago.

Countless corners came in and went right out the door after the team realized they would not be able to do the job through failed draft picks and poor development.In 2018 the Jets signed Trumaine Johnson, a star corner from the Los Angeles Rams to a five year $72.5 million deal. At the time, it seemed like the perfect signing to lock up a number one corner for the future.  It turned out to be an epic failure.Johnson did not play most of last year due to injuries and when he’s been on the field this year he’s been an embarrassment. He got benched on several occasions for corners the team just promoted from the practice squad. Not only did this signing not work, but the Jets are paying a fortune for it.

It looks like one of the worst moves in franchise history.

The Jets signed nickel corner Brian Poole to a one year $3.5 million contract so they can fill the void of losing Buster Skrine. He has performed surprisingly well and even better than Johnson, who was a prized free agent.It looks even worse now than originally, with Johnson being benched in several games this season for a variety of different reasons. One of the main reasons is the lack of effort, which is appalling for a professional in any field.Now the franchise needs to find a suitable corner from somewhere else while knowing they have $72.5 million of wasted money. The money could have been used to improve a maligned offensive line.Good franchises never make mistakes that cost them this much money while not making an effort to fix the situation. The lack of awareness to move Johnson a year after they got him resulted in nobody wanting him.The Johnson signing is the worst major free-agent deal the Jets have ever done, and they are paying the dividends now.

When a team is 1-7 and out of the playoffs, the best players need to take leadership, but one of the most talented has no intention of giving any effort for the team anymore.

>      https://thejetpress.com/2019/11/05/new-york-jets-trumaine-johnson-worst-free-agent/

26 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

While not a FA signing Doug jolley is a pretty big flub. Trumaine is a great example of a terrible FA signing but the trade for Doug Jolley has to be a worse move IMO.

Remember Tony Casillas?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

tony casillas did play pretty good.. for OTHER teams  :sad: 

• Sympathy 2

Most of, (but not all) of the FA's we have signed prove one thing. Once these guys get paid, its all over, they stop trying and are just in it for the $$. VT, CM are exceptions to this obviously, but this does apply to most of the rest of them. I am hard pressed to think of another after those 2 greats, that actually gave a darned after getting paid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Most of, (but not all) of the FA's we have signed prove one thing. Once these guys get paid, its all over, they stop trying and are just in it for the $$. VT, CM are exceptions to this obviously, but this does apply to most of the rest of them. I am hard pressed to think of another after those 2 greats, that actually gave a darned after getting paid.

If I owned a NFL team I would never sign a single zero or day 1 FA, and would pretty much never give third contracts to anyone unless you are a QB

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

It seems to be getting worse too.  

It just feels like when you give out these big, guaranteed contracts - especially where the player knows it's the last one they're going to get.  There's just no motivation anymore.  Feels like pride, work ethic or a desire to win just doesn't matter to a lot of people anymore.

There are, of course, exceptions but more often than not these big free agents bust.

Unfortunately the Jets have been so bad at drafting that they have no choice but to give out big contracts to FA's - as they have to spend the money somewhere and have none of their own people worthy of being paid.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Somewhat agree, but let me tweak it a bit...

Once a FA signs with the NYJ, it's usually 'all over' because this franchise has had no winning culture or 'figure' to demand sustained superior performance and pride regardless of contract $...EXCEPT say, like when Parcells was here (VT and CM).  Parcells didn't tolerate 'dogging it', and had the NFL cred to call players out in the clubhouse and the media.

I don't think the NY Jets have spent a whole lot of time evaluating FA's in terms of their 'big picture' view...rather just 'plugging holes' in the roster.

Honestly, I think Bell WOULD fit the VT and CM profile and succeed here based on attitude alone IF we had even a minimal semblance of an NFL OL.  It's ******* sad.

• Upvote 1