our WORST free-agent signing in History is.. ? ? ?

kelly

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Aaron Maybin comes to mind, he was somebody's high draft choice who busted with us.  But we got him super cheap, and he did play like a holy terror for his first six games or so before disappearing as a force on the field.

Jesus.  Maybin signed for vet minimum, and you think he was the worst FA signing for the NYJ? Get real.

In his first regular season game with the Jets, Maybin recorded his first career sack, a strip-sack, against Joe Flacco on October 2, 2011.[23] Maybin recorded his second career sack, another strip sack, on October 17 against Matt Moore.[24] He recorded another sack for the second consecutive week on October 23 against Philip Rivers.[25] Maybin recorded the first two-sack game of his career against the Bills, on November 27, 2011.[26] On December 4, 2011 against the Washington Redskins, Maybin sacked Rex Grossman and forced a fumble that was recovered by Calvin Pace. After that the Jets went on to win the game 34–19.[27] Maybin's ability to get to the quarterback made it difficult for some offensive linemen to contain him, resulting in his team-leading 6 sacks in 2011.[28]

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Trumaine Johnson

He deserves strong consideration.

But when looking at the worst FA signings in Jets history, I agree you have to consider the cost in addition to the benefits.

Players signed to vet minimum deals, or one-yr deals say like Kalil shouldn't be a consideration.

Trumaine Johnson?  Absolutely.

Kind of surprised Darelle Revis ain't getting more mention here after he signed as a FA.  I know for some he is beloved, but he stole money his last yrs here too...

Aside of players who were serious letdowns simply cuz they sucked or we just blew some multi-millions, how about some of the more memorable free agent Champs that graced the New York Jets uniform albeit ever so briefly.. and please join in the fun!!!  RB Mike Goodson! Wasn't he the guy that they found passed out in his truck in the middle of the freeway with a gun in his lap piles of drugs and some other dude was passed out in the front seat with him at 3 in the morning? How about Dave szott wasn't he some Big Time pro bowler we got to shore up our offensive line.. and then he retired from the NFL during training camp? I'm pretty sure it was Kellen Winslow jr. Who smoke some synthetic weed and got caught jerking off in a Target parking lot naked in his car staring at some old lady? And was it Steve atwater or some other safety that got caught with a trunk full of AK-47s pulling into the Hofstra parking lot? There was also a punter whose Name Escapes Me but he conned his way onto the team and was actually like 40 years old saying he was 26 I actually hung out with him after family night, Herm Edwards era drinking beers in the parking lot.. I was totally like wtf as this guy was telling me he's just there to pick up chicks.....lol...ah yes let's reminisce!

3 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Jesus.  Maybin signed for vet minimum, and you think he was the worst FA signing for the NYJ? Get real.

I'm getting real.  I mentioned Maybin was vet minimum when we got him because he was highly drafted but was a bust for somebody else.  As I stated also, when he first got here he was a holy terror for several weeks and got our hopes way up that we found an effective rusher.  But then he just became ineffective and became a bust for us too.

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Somewhat agree, but let me tweak it a bit...

Once a FA signs with the NYJ, it's usually 'all over' because this franchise has had no winning culture or 'figure' to demand sustained superior performance and pride regardless of contract $...EXCEPT say, like when Parcells was here (VT and CM).  Parcells didn't tolerate 'dogging it', and had the NFL cred to call players out in the clubhouse and the media.

I don't think the NY Jets have spent a whole lot of time evaluating FA's in terms of their 'big picture' view...rather just 'plugging holes' in the roster.

Honestly, I think Bell WOULD fit the VT and CM profile and succeed here based on attitude alone IF we had even a minimal semblance of an NFL OL.  It's ******* sad.

Totally agree about Bell, he has been nothing short of terrific in every way, but I do feel he has slowed a little bit.

• Upvote 1

In terms of the money spent for the return Trumaine Johnson is the worst. Market setting deal for a CB and the guy flat out sucked and never at any point contributed.

Revis circa 2015 was also bad but he was at least good that first year (until people figured out he was coasting and started to actually challenge him, anyway.)

Trying to think of others... I don't really see marginal guys on mid-level deals to be on the same plane, personally, and trades don't count.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, kelticwizard said:

Aaron Maybin comes to mind, he was somebody's high draft choice who busted with us.  But we got him super cheap, and he did play like a holy terror for his first six games or so before disappearing as a force on the field.

" Maybe "  maybin..  talented and... Lazy   :unsure:

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2019 at 7:41 PM, kelticwizard said:

I actually remember him leading us in sacks in 2011. Like 8 sacks. Not a bad signing on the cheap.

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It wasn't a FA signing but how about taking Rob Moore in the supplemental draft in 1990?  That cost us our 1st rounder in the 1991 draft, and we missed out on Brett Favre in the 2nd round by 1 pick.

Favre got his diva chance to ruin our season in 2008, and did.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:17 AM, The Gooch said:

Yes,I forgot your right!  Okay, I will go with Neil O'Donnell too then!

As terrible as he was in 96 O'Donnell had a good year in 97, Parcels first year. He started the whole year minus the last game where Lucas choked against Detroit blowing our playoff berth. We finished 9-7 still.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

As terrible as he was in 96 O'Donnell had a good year in 97, Parcels first year. He started the whole year minus the last game where Lucas choked against Detroit blowing our playoff berth. We finished 9-7 still.

btw, i mentioned neil odonell with more of a silent ???   i had forgotten all about him... and just wanted to put his name back in the collective consciusness..   i remember thinking he was solid with Pitts and maybe worth a chance...

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, kelly said:

oh,.. & out Best signing...

96ae5cf1e330cd076489090c4441600c.jpg

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

Curtis may be in the HoF and was a truly great RB, but the greatest FA signing in New York Jets history was...

VINNY TESTAVERDE

You can try to argue, but you'd be wrong.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, TheClashFan said:

Trumaine Johnson. We're living it right now.

Worse than Revis Part II?

Revis is both one of the greatest draft picks in team history as well as one of the worst free agent signings in team history.

Only the Jets.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:23 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

It wasn't a FA signing but how about taking Rob Moore in the supplemental draft in 1990?  That cost us our 1st rounder in the 1991 draft, and we missed out on Brett Favre in the 2nd round by 1 pick.

Yeah, but Rob Moore was a pro bowl player for us, who was later traded for a 1st rounder.

How about, if the coaches loved Farve that much, they just traded up a few spots in the 2nd round.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Trumaine Johnson followed closely by Revis Part ll. Only the Jets would allow the 2 worst free agent moves in history by the SAME GM! Ugh, so JETSY. 

I was going to say O'Donnell, but actually his 2nd season wasn't too bad.

Mac's record on giving out big contracts is amazing.    Revis, Trumaine, Mo Wilk.   It is epic how bad he was.

Side note, for my money, the best FA the team ever signed.....     Kevin Mawae