Breaking News: Jamal Adams and Joe Douglas kiss and make up

Jamal Adams clears air with coach and GM, reaffirms his desire to remain with Jets long-term

Adams was on the trade block ahead of the deadline but remains with the team that drafted him

•  
  •  
  •  

One week after speaking with Jets CEO Christopher Johnson about wanting to remain with the New York Jets, Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams reaffirmed he wants to be a member of the team that drafted him. Adams, once again, does not want to be traded. 

"I would love to be here, as simple as that," Adams said Thursday, via Dennis Waszak Jr. of the Associated Press. "I want to bring success to this organization. I want to bring a Super Bowl to this organization. That's why I feel like I was placed in New York, to kind of pick up where my dad left off, you know what I mean?"

Adams also met with general manager Joe Douglas and head coach Adam Gase to clear the air, one week after saying he was going to hold off on meeting with them. The trade deadline came and went, with time healing all wounds. 

"It went well. I told them I don't hate those guys," Adams said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN. "They said they don't hate me. I have nothing but love and respect for them, you know what I mean? We've moved on. We apologized to each other.

"We went about it a little different way on both ends. It is what it is. You live and learn. It's part of life. It's not going to hurt our relationship or how I feel about this organization."

Adams is the son of former New York Giants running back George Adams, who played his first four seasons in New York. Adams had an emotional press conference the day after the trade deadline passed (more on that here), explaining he's done everything they asked him to do in the three years he's been there. The Jets are clearly in a rebuilding stage, but Adams wants to be part of this team and their long-term future.

Adams can't be a free agent until his rookie deal is up next season, or the 2021 season if the Jets pick up his fifth-year option. Whether the Jets decide to extend Adams sooner rather than later (or open of trade talks again) will commence again this offseason, but all four parties appear to be on the same page (for now). 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Jamal will get the message Sunday when the Jet fans there boo his overrated ass off the field.

I can't be there...but if someone who is there could DO THIS...that would be great.  I ******* hate Adams and I went on the record a while ago with this...a long while ago.

As someone else mentioned, the fact that Adams had to point out that Douglas "apologized" shows that he's still trying to get the upper hand. Trade his pansy ass. 

With that being said, not sure why the "ok boomer" meme actually triggers people. Just a bunch of xanned out dumbasses doing the talking. 

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Douglas has nothing whatsoever to apologize for.  The fact that he did makes me think less of him as a GM.

It is so apparent, Douglas knows how it will look.  GM giving problem child a pacifier to help him make his way to adulthood... 

More love from Jamal and Manish:

Jamal Adams says he wants to lead Jets to Super Bowl after clearing the air with Adam Gase and Joe Douglas

Manish Mehta
NOV 08, 2019 | 8:00 AM

Less than a week after Jamal Adams expressed his displeasure at Jets brass engaging in trade discussions before the deadline, the Pro Bowl safety finally cleared the air with general manager Joe Douglas and Adam Gase.

Adams took to Twitter last week to let everyone know he wasn’t particularly happy that the team was considering moving him after an earlier discussion with Douglas and Adams left him thinking he was a cornerstone piece to the puzzle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Adams refused to discuss the matter with the GM and coach before chatting with CEO Christopher Johnson late last week. Although Douglas didn’t “shop” the star safety, he did engage in trade talks with at least three teams, including the Cowboys and Ravens.

Jamal Adams takes a break on the field during the first half against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Jamal Adams takes a break on the field during the first half against the Jacksonville Jaguars. (Phelan M. Ebenhack/AP)

Adams talked to Douglas and Gase on Monday after the Jets fell to 1-7 with their loss to the previously winless Dolphins.

PAID POST

What Is This?
American-made cars: Find the most USA made
American-made cars: Find the most USA made

Discover which new cars and trucks contribute more to the U.S. economy, regardless of where the manufacturer’s brand is actually headquartered. Click to read learn more.

SEE MORE

Sponsored Content by   Cars.com

“It was a good talk,” Adams said Thursday after practice. “It went well. I told them I don't hate those guys. They said they don't hate me. I have nothing but love and respect for them… We've moved on. We apologized to each other.”

"We went about it a little different way on both ends,” Adams continued. “It is what it is. You live and learn. It's part of life. It's not going to hurt our relationship or how I feel about this organization."

Douglas praised Adams after the trade deadline by calling him a “mission statement guy,” but it’s no secret that the rookie GM is looking to stockpile draft capital to help rebuild the team. Adams, frankly, is one of the team’s few tradeable assets.

Adams is also one of the team’s undisputed leaders, and he maintains that he wants to remain with the team that drafted him with the No. 6 overall pick in 2017.

"Yeah, I would love to be here, man," Adams said. "I would love to be here. It’s as simple as that. I want to bring success to this organization. I want to bring a Super Bowl to this organization."

“That’s why I feel like I was placed in New York, to pick up where my dad left off,” said Adams, whose father, George, was a running back for the Giants in the 1980s. “His career was cut short. I just feel like that’s my calling. But I don’t know those things, you know what I mean? But do I want to be here? Yes, of course.”

32 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know there are a lot of people favoring the hardline stance but with the Osemele PR disaster I don't think it's a bad idea to make nice with the best, most vocal player on the roster.

By best you mean most overrated in the league.  the guy is 50% hype on and off the field.

51 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I know there are a lot of people favoring the hardline stance but with the Osemele PR disaster I don't think it's a bad idea to make nice with the best, most vocal player on the roster.

Exactly, especially if you are still hell bent on getting rid of him during the off season.  Let this silliness die down, pacify Jamal, and swing the hammer when the time is right. 

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

By best you mean most overrated in the league.  the guy is 50% hype on and off the field.

When the Raiders UDFA safety picked off two passes last night, including a pick-six, I was trying to imagine how cool that would be, to have a safety like that 

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You may think he's overrated but the general perception is that he's the best player on the team, and he's clearly a vocal, emotional guy. Getting him back in the fold pumping sunshine instead of vitriol is definitely the best move in the short term whether you're moving him in the off-season or not.

• Upvote 1