Maxman

The hope for the rest of the year (some are long shots)

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Herndon, Crowder and Robby give us something solid to bank on for next year. A solid nucleus that they can add a # 1 guy to and be legit.

Are you giving up on Quincy Enunwa. We paid HIM an awful lot of money to be on the IR. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Here are my wish list items for the rest of the year. I am going to take wins and losses out of the mix because I don't want to turn this into a tank thread. The Jets have already tanked so that is what it is. The only thing I will say on wins and losses is hopefully Gase doesn't do anything to convince ownership he should come back. Here are my hopes for the rest of the year:

• Sam Darnold minimizes bad decisions \ turnovers and continues to grow. Want to have him go on a tear so next offseason when we have 99 problems, Sam won't be one.
  • Herndon, Crowder and Robby give us something solid to bank on for next year. A solid nucleus that they can add a # 1 guy to and be legit.
  • We develop some CBs that are keepers, even if it is just for future years depth. Poole has been good. I would expect Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts to both be cut. So the position has to be addressed. Can Hairston or the new kid Bless from Rutgers develop into a long term # 2?
  • The "stars" for next year find a way to contribute a bit and have some success down the stretch: Bell and Mosley.
  • The offensive line finds two guys to keep for next year. Seriously think there needs to be three new bodies in there as starters next year at a minimum. Can Shell \ Edoga be the long term right tackle? Can Alex Lewis start on a good line? Can Harrison be the long term center? Not sure the answer to any of those questions is yes, Alex Lewis might have the best odds of being a starter next year here.

Other thoughts: Ryan Griffin continues to grow so we have a nice 1 - 2 combo at Tight End next year. Jordan Jenkins gets to the QB a bit down the stretch.

Oh and that we know what the Ficken kicker is about before the end of the year. Is he good or not? Hopefully they figure it out before final training camp cuts next year.

And yes, that Gase gets fired.

What are you hoping for other than the season coming to an end?

Max....good list, but the two I highlighted, to me at least, are the only ones that really matter. Didn't you forget Mater Dei winning a state championship?😎

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Here are my wish list items for the rest of the year. I am going to take wins and losses out of the mix because I don't want to turn this into a tank thread. The Jets have already tanked so that is what it is. The only thing I will say on wins and losses is hopefully Gase doesn't do anything to convince ownership he should come back. Here are my hopes for the rest of the year:

• Sam Darnold minimizes bad decisions \ turnovers and continues to grow. Want to have him go on a tear so next offseason when we have 99 problems, Sam won't be one.
  • Herndon, Crowder and Robby give us something solid to bank on for next year. A solid nucleus that they can add a # 1 guy to and be legit.
  • We develop some CBs that are keepers, even if it is just for future years depth. Poole has been good. I would expect Trumaine Johnson and Darryl Roberts to both be cut. So the position has to be addressed. Can Hairston or the new kid Bless from Rutgers develop into a long term # 2?
  • The "stars" for next year find a way to contribute a bit and have some success down the stretch: Bell and Mosley.
  • The offensive line finds two guys to keep for next year. Seriously think there needs to be three new bodies in there as starters next year at a minimum. Can Shell \ Edoga be the long term right tackle? Can Alex Lewis start on a good line? Can Harrison be the long term center? Not sure the answer to any of those questions is yes, Alex Lewis might have the best odds of being a starter next year here.

Other thoughts: Ryan Griffin continues to grow so we have a nice 1 - 2 combo at Tight End next year. Jordan Jenkins gets to the QB a bit down the stretch.

Oh and that we know what the Ficken kicker is about before the end of the year. Is he good or not? Hopefully they figure it out before final training camp cuts next year.

Good thoughts here. On wins and loses I do hope we beat the Giants since I have a every 4 year steak dinner bet on it with a dear friend. Also I kinda want to beat the Bills. Getting swept by them is a no go for me.

Im Very Interested In Herdons return. I’m also encouraged by Griffin.

Agreed with Sam. If he regresses we are in trouble as a franchise so no jet fan should hope for that even if it helps get Gase fired. On the kicker issue I do hope Ficken is the answer. 

Finally.....FIRE that bum Gase! 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Max....good list, but the two I highlighted, to me at least, are the only ones that really matter. Didn't you forget Mater Dei winning a state championship?😎

Agree on the two highlighted.

Mater Dei winning states is definitely on my I hope it happens list. Their running back is amazing. They are playing a much harder schedule now and had a rough patch in the middle of the season. Seem to be back on track now.  One of their coaches is a huge Jets fan.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Good thoughts here. On wins and loses I do hope we beat the Giants since I have a every 4 year steak dinner bet on it with a dear friend. Also I kinda want to beat the Bills. Getting swept by them is a no go for me.

Im Very Interested In Herdons return. I’m also encouraged by Griffin.

Agreed with Sam. If he regresses we are in trouble as a franchise so no jet fan should hope for that even if it helps get Gase fired. On the kicker issue I do hope Ficken is the answer. 

Finally.....FIRE that bum Gase! 

Yes I will be telling a bunch of Giants fans to go F themselves on Sunday. So if the Jets lose it will be painful. I don't know that any loss after this Sunday would cause me pain though. Maybe the Steelers because the stadium will be filled with their fans.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Agree on the two highlighted.

Mater Dei winning states is definitely on my I hope it happens list. Their running back is amazing. They are playing a much harder schedule now and had a rough patch in the middle of the season. Seem to be back on track now.  One of their coaches is a huge Jets fan.

Tougher schedule will help this time of the year. Hope the Jets coach doesn't put the whammy on them...you know, guilt by association.

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

good points.  no faith in gase?  i'm not quite ready to cast him adrift unless there's some proof that the players are tuning him out.

• Upvote 1

I think the sample is large enough to believe Darnold will never be the guy guy. He's just not that good. Him playing safe and ok against a bunch of bad teams down the stretch would actually be worst case scenario imo. Him bombing out would be better than that because at least you could justify moving on. The Cardinals already set the precedent of moving on early and taking the heat. They were right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Fun list and not to be simple minded or provide a duh response but legit the only thing I care about and want to see moving forward is Sam Darnold proving he's not an in over his head bust.

I legit couldnt give 2 sh*ts about anything else on this team because it's a disaster and needs a complete overhaul at just about every position.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fun list and not to be simple minded or provide a duh response but legit the only thing I care about and want to see moving forward is Sam Darnold proving he's not an in over his head bust.

I legit couldnt give 2 sh*ts about anything else on this team because it's a disaster and needs a complete overhaul at just about every position.

It needs an overhaul except Darnold and those 7 guys I listed lol.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I could not disagree more with this statement.

Fair enough. But its about time this organization took some risks. Neutering Darnold because he isnt good (like they did with Sanchez) and continuing with him helps no one.

• Upvote 1

Really this list is good but only 1 think matters.

Gase doesn't ruin Sam.    He must keep Sam from being under siege every pass play.    He needs to find a way to give Sam 1 more second in the pocket.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Even if he does straighten out, he's going to be a concern. Who thought he was going to be a concern this season?

Just now, Maxman said:

It needs an overhaul except Darnold and those 7 guys I listed lol.

I'm not so sure that Darnold is on the exempt list, which is my point.  He needs to prove he is on that list.  Now maybe the franchise has him on that list but if he is, it's not because of his performance.  Which is a concern.  The other 7 guys are not on the exempt list and everyone of them that can be, should be upgraded.  Granted, this thing wont turn over in one offseason but none of those 7 guys need to or will show you anything you didnt already know about them that helps their long term future on this team.  Not trying to rain on your parade but those dudes arent going to suddenly do something they've never done before, especially not in this environment. 

The only thing that really matters is that Darnold plays better. Stops with the turnovers and has a couple of big games (3 TDs, 300+ yards, etc.)

If that happens 3-13 is fine, obviously the roster is going to be completely overhauled either way.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Well as everyone else hopes I want to see the Sam Darnold from the last 4 games of last season rather than the one we've seen so far. This is of utmost importance IMO.

I want to see Q. develop and get better as the season winds down. I also want to see more of Phillips and if he's for real.

I would like to see the OL at least be League average for the rest of the year. I doubt it happens but you have to get something out of these guys.

I want Jamal Adams to shut his mouth and play so they can trade his ass to the highest bidder. He tanked it against Miami IMO and I think he might just do more of the same for the rest of the Season out of spite. Seems like he would be the type of guy to pull something like that.

Can somebody please step up in the Secondary? Anybody? We need anyone to show something at the Corner position. Bless? I hope so.

WR? Yeah I'm not as down on these guys as I was. Crowder is legit and even though he is a one trick pony at least Robbie Anderson WANTS to be here. Something to be said for that I guess.

All in all I just want to see progress on the field. Gase? Part of me wants to kick his ass to the curb and the other part just wants to kick his ass. We will see on him. I'm thinking he comes back next year due to all the factors that have been said over and over again. Sucks but it is what it is.

JUST WIN SOME DAMN GAMES.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair enough. But its about time this organization took some risks. Neutering Darnold because he isnt good (like they did with Sanchez) and continuing with him helps no one.

Sanchez just wasn't accurate. Even when he completed a pass it was never right where it needed to be. Sam needs to grow but I really feel good about his future.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not so sure that Darnold is on the exempt list, which is my point.  He needs to prove he is on that list.  Now maybe the franchise has him on that list but if he is, it's not because of his performance.  Which is a concern.  The other 7 guys are not on the exempt list and everyone of them that can be, should be upgraded.  Granted, this thing wont turn over in one offseason but none of those 7 guys need to or will show you anything you didnt already know about them that helps their long term future on this team.  Not trying to rain on your parade but those dudes arent going to suddenly do something they've never done before, especially not in this environment. 

In a perfect world that would be how it works. This is a Jets world, Darnold is on that list no matter what.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

...and is replaced by a competent HC.  And, the owners change the management structure.  Douglas hires the HC.  The HC, *HIS HC*  reports to him.  Douglas reports to the owner.  

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

In a perfect world that would be how it works. This is a Jets world, Darnold is on that list no matter what.

No matter what?  Really?  There is nothing he can do moving forward that would make you lose confidence?  That's just crazy talk and if that's the case then we right back in the same spot as we were and could have just stuck with Mac and Bowles for an eternity. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

No matter what?  Really?  There is nothing he can do moving forward that would make you lose confidence?  That's just crazy talk and if that's the case then we right back in the same spot as we were and could have just stuck with Mac and Bowles for an eternity. 

There is nothing he could do because he is the guy and he wouldn't do anything terrible. It is a whole circle of QB life thing. If he threw 2 TD and 17 INTs the rest of the way that would be a huge concern. Won't happen, because as previously mentioned he is the guy lol.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

There is nothing he could do because he is the guy and he wouldn't do anything terrible. It is a whole circle of QB life thing. If he threw 2 TD and 17 INTs the rest of the way that would be a huge concern. Won't happen, because as previously mentioned he is the guy lol.

The handling of Darnold kinda reminds me of this. You buy a Ford Raptor. Take it to a ski mountain, put it in neutral and push it down the hill. Then complain plain to the dealership the truck sucks. Challenge is boss? By the time it gets to bottom of the mountain... it does suck. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to have pre-conceived notions of what Sam has to do, quantifiably, to satisfy your approval of his right to stay on the team. I check these boards often enough, but did we import a new offensive line (apt term) while I was walking the job site?

I've mentioned this in another thread but I'm hoping to see some of the younger players, rookies and UDFA pick ups progress and get more playing time. I want to see Bless and have him develop into at least an NFL starter. I want to see Josh Adams play and hopefully stick. I want to see more touches for Vyncent Smith and Berrios (if healthy) and have one if not both stick. I want to see Wesco get some opportunities. I want to see more Jordan Willis, and I want to see Compton, who hasn't been given many opportunities despite how awful this o-line has been. I want to know if the Jets should offer him a deal for depth as he hits FA. He looked solid in preseason and was never given a chance to play during the season.   

Essentially, developing young talent and seeing what the Jets have with their depth. 

My wishlist:

- Keep Darnold in manageable situations so he doesn’t feel he needs to win games. Let him win his confidence back and get back to his mechanics.

- Fire Gase.

Everything else is bullsh*t until the offseason.

• Like 1