Sign in to follow this  
kelly

..any RUTGERS fans ?... Blessuan Austin is set to make his NFL debut ~ ~ ~

New York Jets cornerback Blessuan Austin is set to make his NFL debut in what should be an emotional homecoming for the New York native and Rutgers product.

For New York Jets cornerback Blessuan Austin, Sunday’s game is set to be the ultimate feel-good homecoming story. It will be the culmination of a near 14-month rehabilitation process that’s led him back to where it all began.

It will be perfect conditions for a storybook NFL debut.And for a Jets franchise starved for optimism, at least one of the team’s players will have something to smile about when he takes the field this Sunday.

Austin attended college at nearby Rutgers University just an hour-and-a-half drive from where he is set to make his NFL debut. And that road to the NFL has been a difficult one filled with plenty of ups, but even more downs.After a solid freshman season with the Scarlet Knights, Austin would emerge as one of the Big Ten’s most promising young cornerbacks after a standout sophomore season that saw him earn All-Big Ten honorable mention honors.Entering the 2017 season, hopes were high that Austin could follow up on his previous success and further establish himself as one of the top cornerbacks in the nation.

Unfortunately, no one could have predicted the grievous string of events that were set to unfold.

Austin would start the first four games of his junior season before suffering a torn ACL that would cost him the rest of the season. For a player who many viewed as a future Day 1 or 2 draft pick, it was devastating. But Austin worked hard to rehab and get ready for his senior season, only for it to once again be stripped away from him in cruel circumstances.The man they call “Bless” stepped back on to the field for the first time in nearly a year in September of 2018. 11 months worth of rehab were put in just to arrive at this moment.So when he came down with an interception in the team’s opener against Texas State, it felt like a fairytale ending to what had been a long, arduous journey. He had finally made it back and was ready to lead his team’s defense and rehab his draft stock.Only fate would have a much different cruel twist in mind.Austin was injured on the interception and remained down on the turf as his teammates celebrated around him. Everyone feared the worst.But after he was able to walk off the field, it seemed as if Austin was in the clear. He even stood on the sideline running full-speed sprints while head coach Chris Ash insisted that he was held back for precautionary reasons and nothing else.

The tests would reveal another torn ACL that would end Austin’s senior season after just one game.

Two torn ACL’s in as many years. Five games played over his final two collegiate seasons. And for a player who was once one of the most promising cornerbacks in the country, he had seen his draft stock all but vanish.Leading up to the 2019 NFL Draft, it was unclear if Austin would hear his name called at all. After all, the medical red flags were bright red and scouts really hadn’t seen him play very much in two season.Five game tapes in two years are hardly anything to analyze.But the New York Jets took a chance on the talented cornerback selecting him in the sixth round at pick No. 196 overall — a far cry from the top-50 talk that had once been said about him.It was a bit of a homecoming for the Queens native who had played his college ball less than two hours south in Piscataway, New Jersey. But before he could even think about stepping foot on an NFL field, anther rehabilitation period was in order.

Only this time, the process would be even more vigorous and physically-demanding than his last.The Jets drafted Austin fully aware that 2019 could wind up being a redshirt season for the young 23-year-old. But Austin fought hard and was committed to returning this year, unwilling to let yet another season go to waste.New York placed him on the reserve/non-football injury list to begin the year and just this past week, they were faced with a decision. Either activate him now or place him on the season-ending injured reserve.

They chose the former.

His return comes at a crucial time for the team too with Trumaine Johnson on the injured reserve and Darryl Roberts unlikely to play. It’s currently unclear who is expected to start opposite Nate Hairston on the outside when the team takes the field on Sunday.While it’s unknown exactly what role Austin may play this week, it doesn’t really matter.This is the culmination of two years of extensive rehabilitation. The apogee of over 700 days worth of grief and tragedy that will mark the conclusion of a lifelong journey to one day play in the NFL.And it will be happening mere hours from where his football career was born.But while the chapter of his journey to full health will hopefully be concluded, a new chapter of his NFL journey is just beginning.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/11/09/new-york-jets-blessuan-austin-emotional/

• Downvote 1

Thanks for posting.

fluff piece

cant remember the last one of these guys that worked out for the jets

id take a ST contribution

38 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Thanks for posting.

fluff piece

cant remember the last one of these guys that worked out for the jets

id take a ST contribution

agreed !.. i'm hopin' he starts a new " trend " for us    ;)

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

• Like 1

I'm rooting for him, but he'll probably end up like Cashman, eventually getting hurt again.  Cashman made it about half a season...

Always rooting for the local players to do good and make a difference in professional sports. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

@RutgersJetFan  All I got

Eh, been hard to give a sh*t about the anything with respect to RU athletics for quite some time due to one abuse or corruption scandal after another over the years.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I thought he played very well today.

He played the best game of any other CB on the team this seasont today Love it. 

Almost had a nice pick too. The guys got Cromartie type athleticism and length hopefully he can stay healthy. 

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

After playing in only one game over the previous 26 months, Jets rookie CB Bless Austin (sixth-round pick) made his NFL debut. He played two-plus quarters, recorded two pass break-ups and forced a fumble. The former Rutgers player missed most of the 2017 and 2018 seasons due to major knee injuries. His only game since 2017 was Sept. 1, 2018 against Texas State. Quite a comeback. Said Austin: "I got a goal in mind. I'm on a mission."

>      https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

On 11/9/2019 at 3:51 PM, Beerfish said:

Bellichick is a rutgers fan

He’s obsessed

On 11/10/2019 at 4:35 PM, joewilly12 said:

Bless Austin NICE GAME

Are they gonna name a Fat sandwich after him?

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mostly all the iconic food trucks at Rutgers have been shut down i'm told. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

..time for a  COMEBACK !          :beer:

cc44b75741cd0f57cfcfb2f4182a37f4.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I thought he played very well today.

..he did... hopefully he can continue to play well for us    :beer:

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

They all shut down they moved to a regular restaurant location called RU Hungry off College Ave

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

They all shut down they moved to a regular restaurant location called RU Hungry off College Ave

Nothing will beat those food trucks lined up in the lot College Ave near Union St(frat row) ......those were the days. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Nothing will beat those food trucks lined up in the lot College Ave near Union St(frat row) ......those were the days. 

Rutgers’ population has skyrocketed last 10 years they keep building new dorms every year that’s why the grease trucks disappeared

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Rutgers’ population has skyrocketed last 10 years they keep building new dorms every year that’s why the grease trucks disappeared

That lot was prime real estate exactly. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I think they are coming back as part of Schiano's deal.😎

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That lot was prime real estate exactly. 

There is a 60 story skyscraper where I lived senior year above Teddy’s Sandwich Shop

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The salami 3 meat, triple cheese coverage, on toast, with Rutger Ranch Blessing Aioli.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TNJet said:

The salami 3 meat, triple cheese coverage, on toast, with Rutger Ranch Blessing Aioli.

..cool !.. i'll take 2... to Go ! !    🍹 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, section314 said:

I think they are coming back as part of Schiano's deal.😎

I hope that deal includes the highest assistant salaries in the Big 10 and promise of future facilities.  That's what Schiano needs if he is ever going to pull Rutgers out of the toilet. 

Oregon State and Rutgers... If you can have success at those two places, then you are a damn good football coach.

• Upvote 2

am a sucka for a feel good story...

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

am a sucka for a feel good story...

agreed !.. i Luv it ! !      😍

cheers ~ ~ 

🍹

14 minutes ago, kelly said:

agreed !.. i Luv it ! !      😍

cheers ~ ~ 

🍹

swhy i also root hard for Robby...

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

swhy i also root hard for Robby...

me too !.. some..

Sam_Darnold_Robby_Anderson-840x473.jpg

...Building Blocks   😎

The New York Jets may have found a blessing late in the NFL Draft. Here are all the details and why that’s great news for the offseason.

The NFL Draft for all intents and purposes is a crapshoot.

It’s an educated guessing game based around risk. At different points in the draft a team weighs the potential risk vs the potential reward.

On April 28, day three of the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Jets took a gamble on a local product out of Rutgers with a troubling track record of injuries.Blessuan Austin ended up as the 196th overall pick of the sixth round in the 2019 NFL Draft.His career was marred by injuries (back-to-back season-ending knee injuries) cost him much of his collegiate career.Those injuries also cost him the majority of his rookie season with the green and white. Many fans and analysts were left wondering if he’d ever make it back on the football field?

That question was answered when he was activated off the injured list and made his season debut vs the New York Giants last week.Against Big Blue, he forced a fumble, got a pass deflection, and recorded three solo tackles. Although the most important thing was just seeing him back healthy on a football field.With all the injuries to the depth chart, Bless Austin was forced to start at one of the corner spots vs the Washington Redskins on Sunday. He didn’t disappoint.

Per Pro Football Focus, Bless finished with a 77.2 overall grade which was the highest on the Jets’ defense and the 11th best among all cornerbacks in the NFL.

There was never a question about his talent, but his durability was always a legitimate concern. That’s the main reason he was even available to be drafted in the later rounds of the NFL Draft.But now he has a chance to carve out a legitimate role on this Jets defense in 2019 and beyond with his outstanding length and twitchy burst/reaction time.

>       https://thejetpress.com/2019/11/18/new-york-jets-may-found-blessing-late-nfl-draft/

On 11/9/2019 at 3:51 PM, Beerfish said:

Bellichick is a rutgers fan

Dude is hung up on Rutgers

On 11/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, pdxgreen said:

I hope that deal includes the highest assistant salaries in the Big 10 and promise of future facilities.  That's what Schiano needs if he is ever going to pull Rutgers out of the toilet. 

Oregon State and Rutgers... If you can have success at those two places, then you are a damn good football coach.

Why is Rutgers in the Big 10?  I know why but it’s stupid 

50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why is Rutgers in the Big 10?  I know why but it’s stupid 

Nebraska maybe should ask themselves the same question.  Sadly, for the same reason.