MOCK WITH DOLPHINS TRADE

PepPep

I'm not including FA but the assumption is that they will go hard after Scherff (maybe they get him, maybe not) and a starting CB, a WR and Edge help. I'm also going to go ahead and assume that Adams is traded and they net a 1st rounder only. I'm going to assume from the Cowboys. Lets say its the 20th overall pick. 

TOP 5: 

#1- Jets (Yup, the more and more I think about it, the more I'm expecting the Jets to lose out and get the #1 pick). 

#2- Bengals

#3- Washington

#4- Dolphins

#5- Falcons

DRAFT: 

Rd. 1.- Dolphins pick: (Drafted- Tua, Joe Burrow ,Chase Young) TRADE: Dolphins move up to #1 b/c they are concerned that the Bengals will take Tua and they give up an extra 1st rounder (Steelers pick). The Jets select at #4. Steelers are at .500, I expect them to be picking in the early teens.

Jets take- OT- Andrew Thomas: Top OT in the draft bar none. This really works out great for the Jets b/c the Bengals take Burrows. If the Bengals don't like Burrows, they will take Young, in which case the Jets will want to trade down. However, that gets messy so I just made the assumption that Cincy would love Burrows, and why wouldn't they, I think he could be a better Pro than Tua.

Rd. 1- Steelers pick (Pick: 13-15?)  Jets take Tyler Biadasz-C: Might be a reach to some but this guy is easily the top C and a plug and play Center. Jets take 2 huge steps to overhaul the line with these selections and both have low bust potential. 

Rd. 1 Cowboys pick 20th overall: Jets select Trevon Diggs- CB: Its tough to tell which CB will be available at this point in the first round but if Diggs is still on the board I would not hesitate. #1 CB potential is definitely there. The Jets desperately need to draft a CB early b/c they need someone who could develop into a #1 so they are not constantly over-paying FAs as their careers are on the decline. 

Rd. 2: Despite how good this WR class is, I don't think we will see more than 3 WRs go in the first round. Its just not very often you see that happen. I think the Jets will have an opportunity to draft Shenault or Higgins. I'm going to pencil in Tee Higgins for the Jets in Rd. 2 with Jeudy, Shenault and Lamb going in Rd. 1 

Rd. 3: Jets pick: Theres a number of ways the Jets can go here. They can address Edge, they can ad a RB, they can add a TE, they can draft an OG, etc. But I'm going with a big need once again and taking CJ Henderson-CB out of Florida. Another CB with #1 potential who has the length and athleticism to play on the outside. The Jets took a big step in this draft to re-build the o-line, this is a big step to re-build the secondary. 

Rd. 3: Giants pick: Jets select Ben Bredeson-OG: Not an elite athlete for a guard but as solid as they come and a bruiser with a nasty streak. This guy can probably compete for a starting spot b/c he has plenty of polish and experience. He's a big bruising guard and I love that. 

Rd. 4: KJ Hill-WR: Jets dip back into this great pool of WRs and take Hill who is a polished WR who does everything well and has the speed and athleticism to succeed in the NFL. With all the other WRs available in this draft he should be available as far as early in the 4th. 

Rd. 5: Jonathan Greenard- Edge: An under the radar edge rusher, Greenard hasa variety of moves and can really get to the QB. The Jets need to stop gambling on athletes who don't know how to sack the QB and start scouting edge rushers who have multiple tools in the tool box. In the fifth round this is not much of a gamble. Greenard has good size and quickness for the NFL, if he is there in the 5th I take him. 

Rd. 6: Myles Dorn- S: Solid in coverage and aggressive against the run. Experience as a FS and SS. Diagnosed plays really well in college and I think he can be a jack of all trades type of player who can contribute in special teams or as a depth player. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I obviously wrote this up before we beat the Giants and right after the UGLY loss to a winless Dolphins team. So take that for what its worth. Definitely felt like it was possible that the Jets lose out the rest of the way. 

19 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think our pick will end up that high and frankly, I don't think the Dolphins are gonna trade up. They're tanking the proper way by acquiring picks.

In general I love the strategy though.

That may be, but if they are not in a position to draft the QB they want, with all that draft capital, they WILL trade up. I mean, that is the point of tanking, to get the Franchise QB you can build around, that was their plan from day one. So to suggest that they won't consider a trade up, especially one where all you need to do is give up an extra 1 to get him, is simply not accurate. Frankly, if this is how it played out, it would be stupid for the Dolphins to wait and hope that either Tua or Burrows fell to them at 4 rather than giving up an extra 1 to get the guy they want.  

Let's say we did not get that trade and WE ended up picking 4th. I would still go the same way and take Thomas 4th and Biadasz 20th (I think he could should still be there). Then passing on Higgins in the 2nd and addressing the CB position. WR in the 3rd, OG in the 3rd, etc. etc. 

I.E. my draft strategy would not change much. I think the one thing that would change my draft strategy would be if Chase Young was available for us in the 1st. It would be hard to pass up an edge rusher like that. 

A couple of names that I really wanted to slot in for the Jets in Rd. 2 but that simply didn't make sense with the way the mock went down wan Trey Smith-OG/OT out of Tenn. and Prince Tega Wanogho-OT out of Auburn. Let's say the Jets DIDN'T trade Adams and took A.Thomas in the first round. I would go with Trey Smith in second (assuming Biadasz was off the board). Let's say Jet's missed on A.Thomas and Chase Young and took Okudha or Jeudy? Well, I would roll the dice on Wanogho in the 2nd round. I really like him as a LT prospect.  

Just now, PepPep said:

I obviously wrote this up before we beat the Giants and right after the UGLY loss to a winless Dolphins team. So take that for what its worth. Definitely felt like it was possible that the Jets lose out the rest of the way. 

That may be, but if they are not in a position to draft the QB they want, with all that draft capital, they WILL trade up. I mean, that is the point of tanking, to get the Franchise QB you can build around, that was their plan from day one. So to suggest that they won't consider a trade up, especially one where all you need to do is give up an extra 1 to get him, is simply not accurate. Frankly, if this is how it played out, it would be stupid for the Dolphins to wait and hope that either Tua or Burrows fell to them at 4 rather than giving up an extra 1 to get the guy they want.  

Let's say we did not get that trade and WE ended up picking 4th. I would still go the same way and take Thomas 4th and Biadasz 20th (I think he could should still be there). Then passing on Higgins in the 2nd and addressing the CB position. WR in the 3rd, OG in the 3rd, etc. etc. 

I.E. my draft strategy would not change much. I think the one thing that would change my draft strategy would be if Chase Young was available for us in the 1st. It would be hard to pass up an edge rusher like that. 

A couple of names that I really wanted to slot in for the Jets in Rd. 2 but that simply didn't make sense with the way the mock went down wan Trey Smith-OG/OT out of Tenn. and Prince Tega Wanogho-OT out of Auburn. Let's say the Jets DIDN'T trade Adams and took A.Thomas in the first round. I would go with Trey Smith in second (assuming Biadasz was off the board). Let's say Jet's missed on A.Thomas and Chase Young and took Okudha or Jeudy? Well, I would roll the dice on Wanogho in the 2nd round. I really like him as a LT prospect.  

I'm not even convinced they take a QB in the first round. I don't think it's the given everyone else does.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not even convinced they take a QB in the first round. I don't think it's the given everyone else does.

Agree to disagree. I get that you don't want to draft a QB when your team is bare of any talent but you rarely have an opportunity to take a top QB prospect in the draft and when you do you kind of have to take it. Especially when you have a lot of draft capital in the next couple of years to build around him.  

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Agree to disagree. I get that you don't want to draft a QB when your team is bare of any talent but you rarely have an opportunity to take a top QB prospect in the draft and when you do you kind of have to take it. Especially when you have a lot of draft capital in the next couple of years to build around him.  

Who do you think they covet? I guess at this point I'm not even certain who the consensus best QB in the draft is, it feels like Burrow has surpassed Tua on most boards -- I've seen mocks where Tua is dropping to 10.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment that you don't pass on the "best QB on the board" but that's obviously subjective too.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Who do you think they covet? I guess at this point I'm not even certain who the consensus best QB in the draft is, it feels like Burrow has surpassed Tua on most boards -- I've seen mocks where Tua is dropping to 10.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment that you don't pass on the "best QB on the board" but that's obviously subjective too.

It's kinda like two years ago. The Utah QB getting a lot of love now. That would make possibly 4 1st rounders, and if you count Eason, 5. What about Jalen Hurts now, too?

43 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's kinda like two years ago. The Utah QB getting a lot of love now. That would make possibly 4 1st rounders, and if you count Eason, 5. What about Jalen Hurts now, too?

It feels like Burrow, Tua, and Herbert are the first round locks if they come out. Some seem to like Eason, some seem to like Fromm (although they both seem more like game managers at the next level.) I haven't seen much first round buzz for Huntley, but he's playing very well.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know. There's a lot of time left before the draft, like,  A LOT. But Tua has been and I think WILL be the top QB prospect, and I think Burrows will only ascend barring injury. And I believe there are AT LEAST 5 teams that will be looking to draft a QB this year- Dolphins and Bengals first and foremost, will most likely look to take Tua and/or Burrows and then Titans, Chargers, and Broncos in that second tier of QB talent pool if someone peeks their interest- OR if there is a trade up scenario they like. 

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

I don't know. There's a lot of time left before the draft, like,  A LOT. But Tua has been and I think WILL be the top QB prospect, and I think Burrows will only ascend barring injury. And I believe there are AT LEAST 5 teams that will be looking to draft a QB this year- Dolphins and Bengals first and foremost, will most likely look to take Tua and/or Burrows and then Titans, Chargers, and Broncos in that second tier of QB talent pool if someone peeks their interest- OR if there is a trade up scenario they like. 

I think Tua's injury today is gonna drop him for sure. Sadly the guy has just been injured a LOT.