Just started.. Tua vs joe...which will be a jet next year?

HighPitch

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

You could draft him and still put him in a better situation. This is my post from the draft forum because I'm not typing it out again.

I'm not advocating trading Darnold, just playing the what if game. We have no idea what JD thinks of Darnold and it's quite rare that a team has a chance to even draft a FQB. If he thinks Burrow is that guy and he's available it's not that far fetched that we pick him.

We can also build the oline at the same time with a trade of Adams. Take Burrow first, draft a lineman with the Adams pick and then select another at the top of the second. Make Scherff priority number one in FA and we instantly have a better line.

And Burrow as a prospect is better than Darnold. They're about the same size but Burrow doesn't have the turnover issues that have plagued Darnold. He's also mobile, plays against top competition, is accurate, and has a strong arm. What's not to like about Burrow?

I guess I’m just a big believer in Darnold.

He has his issues but the kid is still only 22 and has flashed legit franchise QB skills time and time again despite playing with one of the worst supporting casts since entering the league.

I’d love to see him with even just a league average OL and a legit, reliable weapon at wideout.

I really like Burrow but I have to disagree on his arm. I think he’s clearly limited in that department.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

Let’s go ahead and burn another Top 5 pick on a QB, stick him in the same sh*tty situation yet expect a different result, then give up on him after a couple of bad games.

Sounds wonderful 

Listen grab a qb and o line the rest of the way. 2 schools of thought.

its not every day you have an opportunity to grab an elite qb prospect.

a good oline and crap qb never works either.

and if darnold pans out the trade bait for joe the backup in 2 years will be off the charts.... more valuable than a top 5 pick.

thinknoutside of the box you friggin slaves

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I guess I’m just a big believer in Darnold.

He has his issues but the kid is still only 22 and has flashed legit franchise QB skills time and time again despite playing with one of the worst supporting casts since entering the league.

I’d love to see him with even just a league average OL and a legit, reliable weapon at wideout.

I really like Burrow but I have to disagree on his arm. I think he’s clearly limited in that department.

No arguments here. It was a hypothetical response about what JD MIGHT think about Darnold. Just pointing out we could draft a QB early and still address the Oline in a major way.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

and if darnold pans out the trade bait for joe the backup in 2 years will be off the charts.... more valuable than a top 5 pick.

thinknoutside of the box you friggin slaves

Tua doesn’t even remotely qualify as an “elite” QB prospect.

And as much as I like Burrow, I wouldn’t classify him as “elite” either.

If Trevor Lawrence was draft eligible and we were headed towards the #1 pick, then that’s a different discussion.

But he’s not.

Andrew Thomas is the way to go if available.

Scherff and Conklin in FA, Thomas and Biadasz/Humphrey in the 1st round after trading Adams.

That’s how you take a sh*t OL and make it a potential Top 5 unit in the league over night.

That’s how you protect your young QB and give him a legitimate chance in addition to opening up rushing lanes for the star RB that you’re paying nearly $14 million a year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You know who had a horrible situation? 49ers in the 80s

they had montana and a guy named young as a backup. 

It was horrible. But im sure beaten down jet fans know better. After all look at the success they have had avoiding qbs for decades and drafting d line

How is this comparable?

Young was a disappointment in Tampa and then was traded to San Fran for a 2nd and I believe a 4th or 5th.

The 49ers didn’t invest a Top 5 pick in him.

They were a perennial Super Bowl contender with a star QB who unfortunately was developing some injury issues. So Walsh brought in a talented young QB who fit his system to backup Montana in case he was sidelined.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

How is this comparable?

Young was a disappointment in Tampa and then was traded to San Fran for a 2nd and I believe a 4th or 5th.

The 49ers didn’t invest a Top 5 pick in him.

They were a perennial Super Bowl contender with a star QB who unfortunately was developing some injury issues. So Walsh brought in a talented young QB who fit his system to backup Montana in case he was sidelined.

Sims hostetler

58 minutes ago, Welp said:

Lol one play is all it takes? Let him play with the Jets OLine for several games and repeatedly get hit and see how his play is after that.

You are wasting your time with that poster. He thinks any good QB can overcome our OL, WR's etc. It's laughable.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Sims hostetler

Giants took Hostetler in the 3rd round. Not Top 5.

If the Jets wanted to take someone like Nate Stanley or somebody in the 3rd/4th round to push Darnold or develop as a longterm backup, then I wouldn’t have any major objections.

But I’m not drafting a guy in the 1st round when we have major needs along the OL, WR, CB, EDGE, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No, but him rising in draft stock along with Fromm, the Oregon kid  Tua (bad today but still will be picked top 10), etc is good for the Jets. Trade for a haul, rebuild the entire Offense around Sam  and hire a coach that can rebuild and design a coherent offense to play in. 

Fromm is awful.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You know who had a horrible situation? 49ers in the 80s

they had montana and a guy named young as a backup. 

It was horrible. But im sure beaten down jet fans know better. After all look at the success they have had avoiding qbs for decades and drafting d line

Yeah well if there was no USFL no way Young is a 49er. Something you would do well to consider when making comparisons.

Oh and GFY. From all those beaten down Jet Fans. Chump.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

thinknoutside of the box you friggin 

I'm sorry but I know no other way to say this. You are a freaking idiot for starting a thread like this and so is anyone else that starts a take a high pick and use it on a QB thread. 

These threads and any serious discussion of them are for people that are living in an alternate reality.  Sam is going no where. Only a moron would give up on a QB like Sam under these current circumstance and only a bigger moron would take another QB and throw him into the same situation instead of trading back a few spots for more picks you can use on the OL or skill positions. 

I am truly sick of seeing how freaking unattached to reality  so many people on this board  are for even thinking this stuff should be under discussion. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, British Jet said:

The amazing thing is if one of these guys is on the board and we’ve been awful, all it takes is for one stupid team to think we might actually roll the dice on a new QB for us to make an absolute mountain of draft capital. 
We should be drafting a WR and O-line. That’s it. 

O-line, CB, Pass Rusher then and finally WR. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If the jets have the number 1 pick burrow will be seriously considered.  

Nope, he won't . JD will either be working the phones furiously to trade down or he will be selecting Chase Young #1 overall. That's it. Darnold was an elite QB prospect when he was drafted and nobody is giving up on him after 17 NFL starts. Period, end of sentence. The Jets have too much invested in him (I don't care which GM drafted him) and the circumstances are clearly pointing in the direction that the O-line is a complete disaster and he is just trying to do his best to keep it together. No QB will be considered in the draft AT ALL. 

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm sorry but I know no other way to say this. You are a freaking idiot for starting a thread like this and so is anyone else that starts a take a high pick and use it on a QB thread. 

These threads and any serious discussion of them are for people that are living in an alternate reality.  Sam is going no where. Only a moron would give up on a QB like Sam under these current circumstance and only a bigger moron would take another QB and throw him into the same situation instead of trading back a few spots for more picks you can use on the OL or skill positions. 

I am truly sick of seeing how freaking unattached to reality  so many people on this board  are for even thinking this stuff should be under discussion. 

I think the only comparable situation was Dallas taking Steve Walsh when they already had Troy Aikman.  

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the only comparable situation was Dallas taking Steve Walsh when they already had Troy Aikman.  

The Cards drafted Murray first overall after taking Rosen top 10 one year before. Granted they traded him but it's not out of the realm of possibilities like some people are posting. We have a new GM that didn't draft Darnold....we have no idea what he thinks about him going forward.

I'm certainly not ready to give up on Darnold, but even if I was, wouldn't it make more sense to spend the next 2-3 building up the roster 1st before diving back in the QB pool again? 

I know Mahomes and Watson are studs, but doesn't anyone truly believe they'd be ANYWHERE near the players they are if they came into the situation the Jets have been?

The best Jets teams of the last 20 years were 2 teams with Mark Sanchez as the QB.  I think the Jets need to focus on building a competitive roster the next 2 offseasons and not spend a premium asset on a QB who then might be ruined by the same putrid surroundings.

I don't think the Jets are going to move on from Darnold for at least two more years. I also don't think we're going to have the #1 pick in this draft.

I'm curious though. If we did end up with the top pick, what do you think we could get for Darnold? Would he bring back more then trading the top pick?

My opinion is the pick is worth more to another team, however Darnold would have what, 3 years left on his rookie deal? I'm assuming his signing bonus has been paid, so he'd cost his new team a lot less money.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Yeah. Mariota was a better runner.

Ooohhh stop. I’m not crowning Tua with anything, but mariota always looked like a system guy. Tua is legit NFL franchise QB Prospect with strong accuracy and arm talent... is it enough? Eh, we’ll see. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Ooohhh stop. I’m not crowning Tua with anything, but mariota always looked like a system guy. Tua is legit NFL franchise QB Prospect with strong accuracy and arm talent... is it enough? Eh, we’ll see. 

I don't see it at all with Tua and now I'm a bit concerned with the arm strength thing regarding Burrow. I still think it's good enough but I understand his detractors.