Jones is sooo much better than Darnold

funaz

8 hours ago, funaz said:

Kind of really depressing seeing a no name small school scrub with a worse coach than us, with less weapons around him, with a horrible oline outperform Darnold.

Time to end the Darnold experiment and draft a new qb

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Seriously have to question your football knowledge. Maybe it is an eye site thing, that would be the best case. Problem seems to run deeper though.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Jones might suffer from perspiration of the distal phalanx. In other words, sweaty hands. It's the only explanation for why the ball squirts out of his hands the way it does. 

Don’t worry I’m sure Beliweasel and Josh McDouchebag will be in East Rutherford next summer trying to teach him after Brady leaves NE

Both teams have injuries but Mr. Dimes was throwing at a defense that didn't have their top two quarters and is on their 7th inside linebacker.

Copeland did a great job but please.

Jets played bend but don't break in the secondary. Oh and Mr. Dimes handed Jamal the ball for a TD. That was nice of him.

• Upvote 3

The core of this thread shows why the majority of fans don't know
how to judge QB's.  First of all time and consistency are the true
measures of what a QB is and can be.  One game, one hot streak or
even one year means nothing.  Just look at last year when everyone
wanted to anoint Mayfield as THE NEXT ONE, now he's struggling and
is a national punching bag.  Darnold has shown flashes of special
talent over two years but he's not a finished product and still isn't
a "can't miss franchise QB".  So all of this "can't miss" love for
Jones is beyond stupid.  Yesterday he had good stats against CB's who
were either backups, on the practice squad or on the PUP list to start
the season.  Give Jones credit for that BUT after NYG took the lead
at 27-21, check out his final five drives over the last 20 minutes
of the game.  He generated zero points, went 8/16 with 53 yards and
got sacked three times and most importantly, lost the game.  Jones
is intriguing but his ball security is worse than a JV high school QB.
If that isn't cleaned up none of his stats will ever matter 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, funaz said:

Not a troll have you watched Darnold these last two years?

Yeah, and Darnold is better than Jones

What did he have a 68 yard pass on a throw behind the LOS and a longer play on a throw just over the LOS?  

Impressive.  Almost as impressive as his 3 fumbles

Dont know what game some watch.  

Or what their criteria for a player is

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has small hands, so the fumbling issues won't go away any time soon.  The same way they hounded Daunte Culpepper for his entire career.  

I was thinking about Jones and his propensity to lose control of the football.  Part of it is due to pocket awareness and the other portion of the problem is his hand size.  I recall that Kurt Warner had a similar issue with hand size.  As a remedy, he wore tackified gloves all the time.  Perhaps Jones should do the same ??? 

As for Sam Darnold.  All he needs is good, consistent blocking from the O-Line and he'll be a gem for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, and Darnold is better than Jones

What did he have a 68 yard pass on a throw behind the LOS and a longer play on a throw just over the LOS?  

Impressive.  Almost as impressive as his 3 fumbles

Dont know what game some watch.  

Or what their criteria for a player is

Yup.  And if Sam had been the guy to throw 4 TDs, but put the ball on the ground 3 times, and was sacked 6 times, the same people would be arguing that Sam sucks becaue he can't take care of the ball and has bad pocket persence.

I don't know who is going to be better.  Both had thier good stretches yesterday.  Happy to see Sam looking better than he has the last few weeks, hopefully he carries it over to next week.  Don't really care what Jones does since we don't play him for another 4 years.

Some people on this site remind me of my mohter-in-law.  Only happy if they have something to complain about.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, funaz said:

No gase is starting to learn how to call a game when you have a horrible QB.

I mean darnolds ceiling is that of Andy Dalton, who at least could throw a deep ball

Seriously, please jump off a bridge! We have enough negative BS here SD played fine yesterday. He is only 22, give the kid time he has been in a sh*t situation since he got here. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup.  And if Sam had been the guy to throw 4 TDs, but put the ball on the ground 3 times, and was sacked 6 times, the same people would be arguing that Sam sucks becaue he can't take care of the ball and has bad pocket persence.

I don't know who is going to be better.  Both had thier good stretches yesterday.  Happy to see Sam looking better than he has the last few weeks, hopefully he carries it over to next week.  Don't really care what Jones does since we don't play him for another 4 years.

Some people on this site remind me of my mohter-in-law.  Only happy if they have something to complain about.

And of course they both can’t be good.  Some people would be butt hurt if they both become top QBs.  There’s an idiotic need for some in the media and some fans to pit them against each other, claim they’re tied together.  Nonsense.  And have to make it a competition 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Jones is having a very impressive rookie year, and was very good yesterday. How can anyone dispute this?

jones did what he had to do yesterday but i don't recall any 'wow' throws.  the jets have no lbs and no cbs so as soon as he throws a short pass to a wr he's gone.  the td to tate was pathetic for the jets, and on one of the tds to slayton, Hairston slipped and gifted the td.  again, jones got the ball out to his guy but the stats are inflated b/c of how bad the jets pass d is.  

2 minutes ago, RonaldJet said:

Jones is having a very impressive rookie year, and was very good yesterday. How can anyone dispute this?

That was my feeling as well:

Passing

No. Player  Age Pos G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
8 Daniel Jones 22 QB 9 8 2-6-0 187 297 63.0 1984 15 5.1 8 2.7 75 6.7 6.5 10.6 220.4 88.0 54.2 32 247 5.28 5.10 9.7 1

The record is poor (although no poorer than under future HOF'er Manning last year), but production wise, it's not bad at all.

Remember, Jets Fans thought this statline was indicative of a future legit Franchise QB for years to come:

Passing

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2018 21 NYJ QB 14 13 13 4-9-0 239 414 57.7 2865 17 4.1 15 3.6 130 76 6.9 6.1 12.0 220.4 77.6 45.5 30 204 5.99 5.24 6.8 1 1

For a first-year QB many thought would be a huge obvious bust, he's putting up numbers directly in-line or superior to Sam Darnold.   

With 5 less games, he's almost equalled Sam's TD count, has a better completion %, about half Sam's INT's, a similar YPA and exactly the same YPG.  Jones is sacked more, that's clear, and fumbles too, that's clear.  Jones Rating and QBR are both better by small amounts.

If one (Darnold) was the first glance of a future Franchise QB, how is the better production (or IMO a worse team, talent wise, shocking as that is given how bad we are), how can the other (Jones) not be a good start?  The mind-twisty-pretzel-logic of rivalry bias at work once again.

Both quarterbacks have been up and down in their short careers, and both quarterbacks have shown issues with ball security.  I honestly wouldn't put one over the other at this early stage.  They are objectively about the same.

Gun to my head, if I had to pick one long term, I'd go with Darnold because I think he has better arm talent and a higher ceiling.

• Upvote 2

Jones has had a good year- statistically. It’s partly a mirage for a few different reasons. 

- he is much more a finished product than many rookie QBs . He has more college games and has been coached up by cutcliff from a young age. 

- the offense/play calling/play style is clearly geared to protect jones and pad his stats vs win games. As evidenced in the last series on Sunday- no risky throws attempted even though the situation called for it 

- when I watch the jets/Darnold... I see a border line incompetent team being held up by a young QB trying to do everything  he can to clean up the mess. When I watch jones, it’s the exact opposite. Max protect,  highly defined reads, it’s easy for him. 

- Eli Manning was doing the same thing for the last two years. Look at his stats- the best he’s ever had yet people wanted him benched 

- I mean, look at Sunday, half of Jones yards/TDs were from screens taken to the house. 

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Both quarterbacks have been up and down in their short careers, and both quarterbacks have shown issues with ball security.  I honestly wouldn't put one over the other at this early stage.  They are objectively about the same.

Gun to my head, if I had to pick one long term, I'd go with Darnold because I think he has better arm talent and a higher ceiling.

This stuff is so fluid. Nobody knows definitively who will be the best QB 5 years from now. 

Remember 8 years ago when fans were arguing Sanchez was better than Stafford?