The problem is not Darnold

Phillyjet

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

I agree with that.  I’m not trying to say that he has been terrific BUT let’s be honest the oline he has had to deal with might be the worst I’ve ever seen. It doesn’t matter how good a QB you are if you are running for your life 85 percent of the time you aren’t gonna be as good

Absolutely agree. An OLine that cant run block or pass block. Thats a defenses dream.

A coach that can’t make mid game adjustments. That’s opposing coach’s dream.

Any Jets fan should be impressed with any good game Darnold puts up this year. How did Aaron Rogers look last year with a sh*t OL and coaching? Not nearly as he has this year or previous years when they actually had a decent line and McCarthy could still coach.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I am very comfortable in the fact that for the foreseeable future, there are going to be games where Darnold will make you think he's the answer.  Then other games he will make us think he's the solution.  Right now he's somewhere in between. 

Today his decision making was much better as a whole, but still had a few throws he made where he was in danger.  Today they happened to be completed.  As long as he starts realizing he doesn't have to make a play every single snap, I can live with it.  He has to value the ball more.  Today was a small step in that direction.

So you want him to only throw to wide open guys? This is the NFL- the elite QBs make throws the Daniel Jones’s can’t. Criticizing high difficulty throws is asinine- it’s why we drafted him third overall! By my account, I didn’t see a single turnover worthy throw today- did you? Every ball was on the money. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

Why don’t people see the obvious!!? Last year Darnold was Houdini, now Gase is effectively eliminating his own player’s strengths!!

The "obvious" is usually difficult to see for "the crowd", because people like to complicate things, because they refuse to believe their own eyes, that something really could be "that simple".

This gets played out in the Stock Market....EVERY DAY.

Gase, up to this point, is a BAD coach.  Everything has to be done his way which is the only way.  If he realizes his errors and learns from them, things will get much better, I can't promise this year because Maccagnan's Roster is so poor, but once Douglas builds a Wall in front of Darnold, you're going to get many of those 30+ point games out of Darnold which I claimed would happen....I was wrong about it happening this year.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I get that and same thing can be said about the Giants this game. All of a sudden Barkley and Belk look like sh*t. Lines are horrible that’s  a fact.  Jones has four TDS Sam had one. Sam literally missed one he should have had. He got some work to do. Nothing wrong with it. 

Jones gets much more protection than Sam does and it isn’t close.  Who cares that he had 4 td’s it was against our horrendous secondary. He also basically handed the ball off to Adams and should of probably had another turnover.  Look I honestly could care less if Jones is good or not but I think Sam is better and unfortunately has been let down by horrible coach, the worst oline I’ve seen, and his receivers dropping countless first downs

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

So you want him to only throw to wide open guys? This is the NFL- the elite QBs make throws the Daniel Jones’s can’t. Criticizing high difficulty throws is asinine- it’s why we drafted him third overall! By my account, I didn’t see a single turnover worthy throw today- did you? Every ball was on the money. 

I didn't remotely say that.  If that's what you gathered from my post then I don't know what to say.

Look, I don't give a #$%# anymore but I do have over 5 decades of observation

the guy just cant throw other than short passes anyone could make

I wish it was different but my eyes just don't see it

Richard Todd >this guy as a passer

Unless he improves (somehow) this is not a pro bowl QB that will take you to a  Super Bowl

Sorry, but just being honest

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I didn't remotely say that.  If that's what you gathered from my post then I don't know what to say.

but still had a few throws he made where he was in danger”

Which throws are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Jones gets much more protection than Sam does and it isn’t close.  Who cares that he had 4 td’s it was against our horrendous secondary. He also basically handed the ball off to Adams and should of probably had another turnover.  Look I honestly could care less if Jones is good or not but I think Sam is better and unfortunately has been let down by horrible coach, the worst oline I’ve seen, and his receivers dropping countless first downs

Alright if you need to do the “ poor Sam thing” it’s cool with me. I’m rooting for the kid too. 

Just now, Y3k said:

but still had a few throws he made where he was in danger”

Which throws are you referring to?

Where he is being tackled or in the face of immense pressure.  You know, like the pick he threw against the Dolphins?

Good God.  A WR being covered = the QB in danger?  Way to connect the dots.

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He looks fantastic on the run, even the throw to herndon that was called back was great. 

That's one of the qualities that makes me think Sam is a legit FQB. The ability to make accurate throws on the run - both to his right and more difficult to his left.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Where he is being tackled or in the face of immense pressure.  You know, like the pick he threw against the Dolphins?

Good God.  A WR being covered = the QB in danger?  Way to connect the dots.

Didn’t he put those balls on a dime? What’s the problem? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Maybe Darnold is actually recovering from the mono. I know it can linger for months.  If he has weapons and an OL he will be good I think.

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Oh stop it.  I’ve been fair. I’ve said he has made bad decisions but The things I said are still true.

I’ve also agreed that the things you said are true. I just think Sam is primarily an unknown right now. I’m glad he had a game  without a pick. Let’s hope he can continue that trend. Him tossing the ball away when nothing was there was also a good look. You and I are in the and side. 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah I know all that and I’m not saying I entirely disagree but the kid has not played well this year at all. He has two game were he wasn’t totally terrible and Jets won. Nothing wrong with that because the entire team stinks. But Sam has at times played comically bad . Can’t blame everyone for that 

Come on dude this is a seriously negative spin. He was AFC player of the week vs the Cowboys and our best offensive player today. The only "comically bad" game was the Patriots debacle, and they were putting up historically good numbers defensively just like were putting up historically bad ones offensively before Sam returned. 

The circumstances are beyond dire. He has no running support whatsoever so he's the complete focus of every gameplan. The line can't hold up for 2 seconds without crumbling which then negates the impact of his #1 WR who is a one trick down the field pony. No QB would be playing great football with this team - A few might be doing better but people need to watch more of the NFL if they don't think a consistently collapsing pocket ruins even the best QB's. 

People are way to way to quick to write off Sam. They're way to quick to write off Mayfield. I think if either guy ended up on a well run organisation like the Ravens their performances would be quite different, as I'm sure Lamar Jackson's would be if he were playing behind that wall of trash. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Come on dude this is a seriously negative spin. He was AFC player of the week vs the Cowboys and our best offensive player today. The only "comically bad" game was the Patriots debacle, and they were putting up historically good numbers defensively just like were putting up historically bad ones offensively before Sam returned. 

The circumstances are beyond dire. He has no running support whatsoever so he's the complete focus of every gameplan. The line can't hold up for 2 seconds without crumbling which then negates the impact of his #1 WR who is a one trick down the field pony. No QB would be playing great football with this team - A few might be doing better but people need to watch more of the NFL if they don't think a consistently collapsing pocket ruins even the best QB's. 

People are way to way to quick to write off Sam. They're way to quick to write off Mayfield. I think if either guy ended up on a well run organisation like the Ravens their performances would be quite different, as I'm sure Lamar Jackson's would be if he were playing behind that wall of trash. 

He missed a month of football and he's fourth in the league in picks. That's pretty terrible. I'd argue that categorizing skeptics as way off is just a tad hyperbolic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Didn’t he put those balls on a dime? What’s the problem? 

Ok, our conversation is done here.  I think it's pretty obvious previous weeks those throws "weren't on a dime".  

It's about decision making.  Not accuracy.  I'm a fan of Darnold.  I'm not knocking him.  You are just kind of dim.

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The NFL wants Sam to succeed and that’s why he was player of anything. He literally almost gave that game back. Lucky to come out with this one too. 

Team sucks, coach sucks, line sucks, receivers suck and I get that . But that doesn’t make Sam a great QB at this point. Makes him a young QB with a lot to learn on a horrible team.

Do I think he would be better in a better team? Hell yeah. But he’s not, he’s on the Jets and that’s all we have to judge him on. So far he has shown some  good  and some. Really bad. That’s fine, because kid has a lot to learn. 

This place is tough, I actually consider myself a big Sam Darnold fan. To be fair I’m kinda tough on my own kids too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

When Beachum plays, Darnold is good. Beachum is a mid-level OLT. If the Jets upgrade their OL, the Jets are a different team.

Based on where they’re going to end up drafting in round 1, they’re probably not going to be in a position to trade back to a team that wants a qb so they’ll end up with one of the LTs.  They’re probably going to have at least 3 new starters on the OL next year.  And a new rb as well after they trade bell.

42 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The problem is not Darnold, but he’s not looking like the solution, either.

What does this even mean?  The solution to what?

I guess I agree that Darnold is not the solution to the Jets problems at OT, WR, and pass defense.  But I'd also agree that Khalil Mack isn't the solution for the 4-5 Bears.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He missed a month of football and he's fourth in the league in picks. That's pretty terrible. I'd argue that categorizing skeptics as way off is just a tad hyperbolic.

And nearly half of those came in the game I said he was comically terrible. And I wasn't saying Crusher was way off on that - He was better than "not terrible" against the Cowboys was my point. Also @The Crusher is also suggesting the POTW award was an NFL conspiracy so now not sure it's hyperbolic at all. 

No one is arguing that he's been good - He's been bad. I'm not even arguing that he is the long term answer. Just pointing out that the people writing him off and suggesting he's a bust, which I've seen over the last week, are being ridiculous. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, August said:

Everything is one extreme on either side. It’s either ALL Darnold’s fault or it’s everyone’s fault EXCEPT Darnold’s. No in between. 

Yeah, crazy right?  It's almost like our fanbase isn't reasonable.....like they're not level-headed and are easily influenced by anything that's happened in the past 2 minutes.  It's as if this is a group of people who overreact and jump to conclusions based on very limited information, relying more on emotions, whims and maniacs they hear on sports radio or flying airplanes to tell them how to think!  Go figure!