The problem is not Darnold

Phillyjet

He's shown me enough to suggest:  1) He's capable of being about an average starter in the league, and 2) I'd like to see him be the starter in 2020.  

But we also need to hedge our bets a little.  Use a mid-rounder on a QB.  And if by midseason 2020 he shows he is absolutely NOT the guy, we need to be ready to tank for Trevor Lawrence.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Absolutely agree. An OLine that cant run block or pass block. Thats a defenses dream.

A coach that can’t make mid game adjustments. That’s opposing coach’s dream.

Any Jets fan should be impressed with any good game Darnold puts up this year. How did Aaron Rogers look last year with a sh*t OL and coaching? Not nearly as he has this year or previous years when they actually had a decent line and McCarthy could still coach.

Rodgers looked like a pro bowl QB with a 25:2 TD:INT ratio (best ratio and lowest interception percentage in NFL history) to go with 4400+ passing yards over his 15 games in an off-year. Numbers that we'd drool at seeing as the single best year of Darnold's career.

For all the improvement in 2019, Green Bay's offense (with Rodgers in the game,discounting the week 17 Kizershutout) isn't ;averaging even one more point per game on offense. To put it mildly, Rodgers excelled. We're just used to him and the team excelling even more as just about the best QB ever.

Darnold has tossed 9 picks in just 6 games this year. The 2018 and 2019 seasons combined (25 games) Rodgers has thrown 4.

The team around Darnold absolutely stinks, but I'd set my sights lower - a lot lower - than any comparisons to Aaron Rodgers.

He’s basically Romo where he can make great improvisation type plays while also make some mind-numbingly dumb ones at crucial times. It’s still a question mark if he can cut that down but with good offensive players surrounding him that’s where I see his career heading down.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's shown me enough to suggest:  1) He's capable of being about an average starter in the league, and 2) I'd like to see him be the starter in 2020.  

But we also need to hedge our bets a little.  Use a mid-rounder on a QB.  And if by midseason 2020 he shows he is absolutely NOT the guy, we need to be ready to tank for Trevor Lawrence.  

Even if Darnold washes out entirely, it'd be a disaster on many levels if we were in contention for Lawrence.  Despite my overall feeling that Darnold isn't the guy, I don't think he's terrible.  And, we're going to have a high pick this year and hopefully the ability to address some needs.  This team wins more than 3 games next year, especially with the Dolphins, Bills, and possibly the Post-Brady Pats on our schedule twice.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rodgers looked like a pro bowl QB with a 25:2 TD:INT ratio (best ratio and lowest interception percentage in NFL history) to go with 4400+ passing yards over his 15 games in an off-year. Numbers that we'd drool at seeing as the single best year of Darnold's career.

For all the improvement in 2019, Green Bay's offense (with Rodgers in the game,discounting the week 17 Kizershutout) isn't ;averaging even one more point per game on offense. To put it mildly, Rodgers excelled. We're just used to him and the team excelling even more as just about the best QB ever.

Darnold has tossed 9 picks in just 6 games this year. The 2018 and 2019 seasons combined (25 games) Rodgers has thrown 4.

The team around Darnold absolutely stinks, but I'd set my sights lower - a lot lower - than any comparisons to Aaron Rodgers.

Wasn’t comparing him to Rogers. Was making the point that Rogers, an all time great didn’t look like himself, and couldn’t carry that team to wins.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah I know all that and I’m not saying I entirely disagree but the kid has not played well this year at all. He has two game were he wasn’t totally terrible and Jets won. Nothing wrong with that because the entire team stinks. But Sam has at times played comically bad . Can’t blame everyone for that 

I’m not sure what anyone expects from a young QB in his third system in 3 years with an awful line and bad WRs. These guys are humans not robots. An awful lot to overcome.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

I’m not sure what anyone expects from a young QB in his third system in 3 years with an awful line and bad WRs. These guys are humans not robots. An awful lot to overcome.

Watching it In Real time just like you. He’s in a terrible situation but he could still play better and honestly he should. That’s all. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Watching it In Real time just like you. He’s in a terrible situation but he could still play better and honestly he should. That’s all. 

He’s had 2 pretty good games, one ok game, and 3 really bad ones. Declaring him a bust at this point is insane. Declaring him legit is also crazy. But context and analysts is really important 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Wasn’t comparing him to Rogers. Was making the point that Rogers, an all time great didn’t look like himself, and couldn’t carry that team to wins.

Yeah but Rodgers was still awesome. He was 80-90% of himself. If this is 80-90% of Darnold's capabilities we're still just as desperate for a QB now as we've been for a decade. 

No QB carries a team to wins all by himself, despite the myths surrounding the likes of Brady, Montana, whomever. Drew Brees was rewriting passing record books in his prime and yet the Saints won just 7 games in 4 years of a 5 year stretch. 

I see a FQB as being someone who's got a minimum level of FQB-ness. Obviously it's better to have someone even better than that, but what a team needs is someone good enough to win when the team + coaching + scenarios are there for a serious SB opportunity. Eli is a great example. I never thought he was a great QB, but in the right scenario he was a good enough QB where a team could win a SB (in fact, multiple SBs) with him leading the way. 

Honestly I don't know if Darnold is that person. I want him to be, and skills-wise he should be, but he doesn't look like it yet. Despite the hyperbole tossed around here, no this is not the single worst OL ever assembled on an NFL team. It's bad - really bad - but it's not like he drops back and half the time BOOM 1.1 seconds later he already has 2 guys in his face.  

All the optimistic wishing (or pessimistic predictions) of what he'll be isn't actually worth squat -- he'll be what he'll be. He's just a baby in NFL terms, but honestly I expected better based on the hype that has existed since his junior year. Starting his entire rookie season was supposed to make him mature that much faster and I'm not seeing it at all. I'm seeing a guy - however talented - who still panics into chuck & duck tosses. Hopefully it passes. 

Sam had no help. None. The run game does not exist. Oline does not exist. Wr are dropping passes. 

When this kid as even average time to go through his reads, he makes good throws. Build around him and forget this stupid narrative that he stinks. You guys would have chased Luck out of town when it was his oline getting him killed.

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Sam had no help. None. The run game does not exist. Oline does not exist. Wr are dropping passes. 

When this kid as even average time to go through his reads, he makes good throws. Build around him and forget this stupid narrative that he stinks. You guys would have chased Luck out of town when it was his oline getting him killed.

Pretty much this.  Wrs drop passes.  OL can’t pass protect or run block.  Who exactly on the offense is balling out there besides darnold?  Maybe crowder starts on another team, bell too but he looks slow and tentative and who wouldn’t behind this line.

1 hour ago, Welp said:

He’s basically Romo where he can make great improvisation type plays while also make some mind-numbingly dumb ones at crucial times. It’s still a question mark if he can cut that down but with good offensive players surrounding him that’s where I see his career heading down.

I think this is a great comparison. 

I see a lot of Romo in him