Trevon Wesco

slats

8 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Its like Gase read the Jetnation forums this week. A lot of the stuff we've all been clamoring for happened today.  I've been begging tonget Wesco involved all year. Especially in the blocking dept.

He probably spent all day Monday and Tuesday sorting through all of the forum coaches plays and then started implementing them into the game plan at practice the rest of the week.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, rammagen said:

they need to move him around like they did today. play at fb and te get him involved in blocking plays then slip in some plays for him. they should have been doing this since day one with as bad as the line has been blocking

Yeah, my thinking, too. Some rookies take longer than others, hopefully this is just the start. 

• Upvote 1

You have to bring guys like this along slowly. You'll see him incorporated more next year like the Pats use Devlin their fullback. With a healthy Herndon, Wesco could be used in 2 TE sets as an extra blocker or as a fullback. I'm positive the coaching staff is teaching him 3 roles for this team. That's how you get the most out of a guy like him. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, slats said:

First two touches of his NFL career, two first downs. 

Not saying he was, "my guy," or anything, but I was happy to jump on his bandwagon once I first heard of him when the Jets drafted him. Expected a guy who blocked like a guard and got a couple catches each week. Hoping he's earned this play half a season into his career and that this is a sign of things to come. 

There were a lot of weird things this week. Wesco playing fullback, the kids playing CB, Jordan Jenkins playing DE on passing downs, etc. the game was a mess, but it was encouraging to see the coaching staff trying new things. I want someone to find out why Loggains was in charge of challenges. That made no sense. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There were a lot of weird things this week. Wesco playing fullback, the kids playing CB, Jordan Jenkins playing DE on passing downs, etc. the game was a mess, but it was encouraging to see the coaching staff trying new things. I want someone to find out why Loggains was in charge of challenges. That made no sense. 

Apparently from what I read this morning, Loggains has been the one in charge of the red flag every week. 

(Makes sense if you think about it, he has to have something to do during game day lol)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One positive out all of these injuries is that this staff will really get a chance to vet which of these young players deserve to be back-ups next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

One positive out all of these injuries is that this staff will really get a chance to vet which of these young players deserve to be back-ups next year.

,Super important & unlike Bowles betting on every veteran, these young guys that ball out should push out the overpaid underperforming vets. That's how you get a nice mix. I love the fact that we'll never see a signing like Trumaine Johnson again. You look at the Ravens & Eagles, teams where Douglas learned his trade & they just don't make those type of Macc blunders. This won't be where bad character vets come for their last pay day. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

,Super important & unlike Bowles betting on every veteran, these young guys that ball out should push out the overpaid underperforming vets. That's how you get a nice mix. I love the fact that we'll never see a signing like Trumaine Johnson again. You look at the Ravens & Eagles, teams where Douglas learned his trade & they just don't make those type of Macc blunders. This won't be where bad character vets come for their last pay day. 

It will be exactly this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll get on it right away.

2 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

I’ll get on it right away.

a few teams delegate that out so the one coach will watch on offense and the other on defense or they assign to a quality control coach. I bet if this was a challenge on offense rather then defense another coach would have thrown the flag.

I was pretty excited about the Wesco pick, especially where we go him.  I've been disappointed with his lack of snaps to this point but maybe that's finally starting to change.  The good news is that his conversion on that 4th and 1 and a nice short-yardage catch for a 1st down should only lead to increased confidence in him and keep him getting some reps.

He's really the kind of guy who should see the field for about 15-20 snaps on offense primarily as a blocker (Inline TE, FB, H-Back) and get maybe 2-3 targets per game.  He's a big boy and has decent hands.  Won't burn anyone but can turn a 5 yard catch in 9 by running a guy over.  And, obviously he should continue on Special Teams.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

a nice short-yardage catch for a 1st down should only lead to increased confidence in him and keep him getting some reps.

He's really the kind of guy who should see the field for about 15-20 snaps on offense primarily as a blocker (Inline TE, FB, H-Back) and get maybe 2-3 targets per game.  He's a big boy and has decent hands.  Won't burn anyone but can turn a 5 yard catch in 9 by running a guy over.  And, obviously he should continue on Special Teams.

the distance NEEDED was short, but took ~9 yds catch made 4-5 yds after contact for a 15 yd net...

left DB holding his head.

3rd & 1 at NYJ 16

(10:43 - 4th) S.Darnold pass short right to T.Wesco to NYJ 31 for 15 yards (Ja.Jenkins).

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the distance NEEDED was short, but took ~9 yds catch made 4-5 yds after contact for a 15 yd net...

3rd & 1 at NYJ 16

(10:43 - 4th) S.Darnold pass short right to T.Wesco to NYJ 31 for 15 yards (Ja.Jenkins).

Left DB in concussion protocall.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

3rd & 1 at NYJ 16

These are the types of role players that you need while you develop A TEAM. He'll never be a star but he'll be that shot in the arm the team needs when things aren't going well, guys are sluggish & you need something to get you going. When big boys take short passes & truck CBs it fires up the whole team. This guy with some experience can be a Mark Bavaro type take guys for a ride player. I'm not saying he's Mark Bavaro, I'm saying with his size he can & I think he'll be a awesome role players as Gase develops the offense going forward & through the offseason. Remember, this team has no #1 stud WR & they haven't had Herndon all year. Herndon being out has been huge for Sam, he's by far the best TE in the AFC East. Griffin has had his moments with Sam & he was just left to walk away from the Texans. Let Chris Herndon just WALK AWAY, and see if there is any interest around the league. 

• Upvote 2