Jamal Adams Appreciates JetNation

On 11/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, PepPep said:

I completely agree with this. I think you can very well keep Adams a Jet long term and still re-build the O-line and add Edge, CB and WR help through both FA and the draft. The issue is that eventually you WILL have to pay him a lot of money and JD may simply not believe in paying a safety that much. If JD has no intention of keeping him long term- past the 2020 season, then you might as well trade him now and get the most you can for him. Jamal is a unique player. He is more than just a good safety, he can do a lot of different things on the field defensively and with some talent around him can be the missing piece to a dominant defensive unit. Does JD think he is close enough where he can hold on to Jamal and build the secondary around him while adding pass rush and CB help or does he move on and hope he finds another great young player in the draft.    

And for the record, all this talk about games like this being rare for Jamal and he doesn't lead us to the playoffs and he talks too much is completely absurd. He's a great young player who's already become one of the best safeties in the NFL in his 3rd year. He does a ton of good things on the field that get overlooked even when he has a bad game.   

Good point, it becomes a philosophical question regarding how much you invest in each position.  In some instances it's better to cut bait early then waiting too long.  However in my view, we have to invest in Jamaal! He's a dominant player who redefines the position he plays.  I vote to keep our good players and stop investing in other folks trash like we've been doing in free agency.  It's beyond me why he's the first player people think of getting rid of.  Getting rid of Leonard made sense with the depth we have on the line. Jamaal is a different story all together, he's special.

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

We have 4 "early" picks in the first 3 rounds so far.  Figure it out without losing your best player.  Our history with quality free agents has been a pathetic we need Avery Williamson type guys. 

Or figure it out while also trading your best player who plays a position that doesn't matter much.  

"Figure it out."  lol.  Sure, yeah, figure out how to get 5 new OL, 2 new CB's, 1-2 new EDGE rushers and 1-2 WR's while paying your Strong Safety $15M a year.  Sounds like a great plan.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Or figure it out while also trading your best player who plays a position that doesn't matter much.  

"Figure it out."  lol.  Sure, yeah, figure out how to get 5 new OL, 2 new CB's, 1-2 new EDGE rushers and 1-2 WR's while paying your Strong Safety $15M a year.  Sounds like a great plan.  

Seems to me Adam's is much more than a strong safety.  I'm not getting rid of a very good player for some maybe's.  Fix what's broken, but don't cut the heart out of your team.   I'd rather trade Q, Anderson, etc. from a position where we have depth.

5 OL is unrealistic, but I can see us getting:

- 3 OL between the draft (perhaps round 1/2, or 1/3) and a solid free agent (Carpenter type signing)

- 2 CBs in the draft and a solid free agent (Poole type signing)

- Draft Edge only if Chase is there, otherwise mid-tier free agent (Avery type signing) or later pick.

- WR later in the draft, and a solid free agent that plays the outside (Crowder type signing)

Get Herndon, CJ, Avery healthy next year we'll be a much more competitive team. 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

That's more of a sad reflection of the state of the roster than anything positive about Jamal Adams.  

No, that's more a tribute to the way Adams excels around a roster that leaves a lot to be desired. He makes the players around him look better than they appear to be.  Put a strong LB core around him and watch what  he does. The Losses of CJ and Avery more than what appears on the surface.

On 11/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  Because Jamal compared himself to future HOFer Aaron Donald.  He set the bar that high, not me.  

LOL, nice to see how you twist things around.  If you want to prove a point about a player you don't draw upon stats from a player that is retired and been in the league 13 yearsto compare  to one only 3 years in the league - omg. I only compared him to Warren Sapp as far as attitude - nothing about stats.

Whomever Jamal Adams compares himself to, is fine by me.  Take it for what it is, Jamal is the leader on the Jets and will continue to be so.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:02 AM, kelticwizard said:

News flash:  I'll talk whenever I damn well want.  That's what this board is for.

Refresh my memory-how did Adams make All-Pro by being a lousy player?  He's surrounded by mediocrity or worse, and yet he makes plays.  That's what you haters don't realize.

Possibly directing "then talk" towards Adams?

57 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

What you heard he asked for $25 million per ???? Link ??

emoji8.png

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s not rocket science. Highest paid D player now is 19 mil ? In a few years that number will go up, as will cap.. He is going to “ want “ to be the highest paid D player, so if that figure is say 21 mil in 2021, naturally he and his agent will ask higher, before coming down, like they all do.. 

16 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yup.   I don't want big name free agents, Avery Wiliamson types are fine with me.  Just need competent pieces as we rebuild through the draft.

So why are you so opposed to trading Jamal Adams for a big haul?   We need a lot more picks than we currently have.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So why are you so opposed to trading Jamal Adams for a big haul?   We need a lot more picks than we currently have.

I don't because I don't want to trade our best player.  People say he plays a non-premium position, but it's like the man plays 3 or 4 positions.  That versatility is unheard of and when we fill in some of the voids around him he's going to be even more valuable.  We can take care of most of our needs by getting healthy, making a move or two in the draft and adding some 2nd tier free agents. 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

I don't because I don't want to trade our best player.  People say he plays a non-premium position, but it's like the man plays 3 or 4 positions.  That versatility is unheard of and when we fill in some of the voids around him he's going to be even more valuable.  We can take care of most of our needs by getting healthy, making a move or two in the draft and adding some 2nd tier free agents. 

Versatility is great.  It doesn't mean a player is an elite talent.  I'd rather have a guy who is elite at one thing than good at several.  For years we were told Muhammad Wilkerson can play every position on the DL, hence why he was so valuable.  No one cares in 2019 that a DE can play Nose Tackle.  Just play DE and do it well.