Dolphins win! Chance for #1 pick has dropped from 66% to 17% over past two weeks

jetstream23

Who actually won today?

If Chase Young is smart, he comes off his 4 game suspension then pulls a Bosa and never plays another down for Ohio St.

Gettleman is sitting in the two spot now, with more cap space then anyone in the league and the choice of either picking Lawrence Taylor 2.0 or trading back for a nice haul from the team that wants a QB.

Even when the Jets win, it hurts. ?

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Who actually won today?

If Chase Young is smart, he comes off his 4 game suspension then pulls a Bosa and never plays another down for Ohio St.

Gettleman is sitting in the two spot now, with more cap space then anyone in the league and the choice of either picking Lawrence Taylor 2.0 or trading back for a nice haul from the team that wants a QB.

Oh the pain...

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, they already benched Dalton.  It's over for him there.  

I think the more interesting question will be whether Washington goes the same route that Arizona went, taking another QB just a year after taking Josh Rosen in the 1st Round.  I can see some people in that organization going with Tua, Burrow, Herbert.....if they pick in the Top 3.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Who actually won today?

Gettleman has to worry about not even having the opportunity to make that pick.

He’ll probably survive, but that team is a disaster and they have some tough games down the stretch. 

He also looks like a jackass trading for Williams. If he ends up investing a lot of money in that guy longterm - lmao 

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Who actually won today?

It doesn't hurt at all.  Enjoy the victory!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Gettleman has to worry about not even having the opportunity to make that pick.

He’ll probably survive, but that team is a disaster and they have some tough games down the stretch. 

He also looks like a jackass trading for Williams. If he ends up investing a lot of money in that guy longterm - lmao 

Every time we do the "Gettleman doesn't know what he's doing" thing, we look silly.

We did it when he took Barkley over Sam, and when he took Daniel Jones. Lets see what happens with Williams.

He's got more first and second year players starting this year then anyone in the league after two strong drafts. I already brought up the cap space, and the draft position for next year. They're way ahead of us in terms of a rebuild, even though we went QB first.

The Mara's and Tisch aren't the Johnson's. Gettleman isn't going anywhere. Shurmur? Who knows, that will be the GM's call. As it should be.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You think the hillbillies in Indianapolis are going to hire a plane to get Frank Reich fired?

Or you think they're smarter than New Yorkers?

SAR I

The difference is the Colts even with the loss are 5-4. The jets even with the win today are 2-7. Which team so you think has a better shot making the playoffs or do you still suffer from delusion that jets have a shot. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jetsons said:

He was the 32nd pick in the 1st rd... so EVERY other team could have drafted him but passed. 

I was being facetious.

The message to JetFruit80 was that the strategy of tanking to become a winner is way more often than not a fallacy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Every time we do the "Gettleman doesn't know what he's doing" thing, we look silly.

We did it when he took Barkley over Sam, and when he took Daniel Jones. Lets see what happens with Williams.

He's got more first and second year players starting this year then anyone in the league after two strong drafts. I already brought up the cap space, and the draft position for next year. They're way ahead of us in terms of a rebuild, even though we went QB first.

The Mara's and Tisch aren't the Johnson's. Gettleman isn't going anywhere. Shurmur? Who knows, that will be the GM's call. As it should be.

Barkley looks like one of the most overrated players in the league right now. Another guy crowned prematurely. Sound familiar?

Also, their young defensive picks look meh, at best. Their defense is total trash. It’s awful. Coming into this week, they had given up more points than any team not named the Dolphins. 

The notion that Gettleman is doing a good job is very hard to substantiate, as is the notion that the Giants are “way” ahead of us. The Giants now have a worse record than us, having played an easier schedule, with less injuries. And they lost to us head to head? 

And let’s see what happens with Williams? Seriously? This is what, his fourth year now? The guy isn’t an impact player. If they resign him, we get two draft picks for a who never actually makes an impact.

Tbh, I think what sounds silly is your take on Gettieman. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

How funny would it be if they're secretly coaching up Rosen, the way teams did when they weren't rushed to start young QBs in 4-5 year windows? The Dolphins didn't have to pay Rosen's signing bonus, they got him dirt cheap.

While the other young Qbs like Darnold, Mayfield, Jones etc. are taking their lumps behind bad OLs, Rosen is practicing under a good coaching staff, and learning from a crafty veteran. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have the same record as the dolphins and they beat us head-to-head.  How are they 4th and us 5th?

Head to head is a lower tie breaker than SOS. We've played 8-1 New England twice & that has a big impact on our SOS. Eventually they'll play their second game against NE and their SOS will change. The better NE's final record, the more radically Miami's SOS will be after their matchup. 

You can't look at tie breakers until the season's over (or until there's only 1-2 games left) since there are too many permutations of too many opposing teams' records that can change between now & then. With this many games left just consider everyone with the same record purely tied. 

They're nominally ahead of us right now, but it doesn't mean anything yet. It would be more accurate today if they looked at the SOS and included games against opponents that haven't been played yet (but obviously will get played), as that would then include NE as a Miami opponent twice already, as well as other opponents good and terrible that both teams play.

Barkley looks like one of the most overrated players in the league right now. Another guy crowned prematurely. Sound familiar?

Also, their young defensive picks look meh, at best. Their defense is total trash. It’s awful. Coming into this week, they had given up more points than any team not named the Dolphins. 

The notion that Gettleman is doing a good job is very hard to substantiate, as is the notion that the Giants are “way” ahead of us. The Giants now have a worse record than us, having played an easier schedule, with less injuries. And they lost to us head to head? 

And let’s see what happens with Williams? Seriously? This is what, his fourth year now? The guy isn’t an impact player. If they resign him, we get two draft picks for a who never actually makes an impact.

Tbh, I think what sounds silly is your take on Gettieman. 

Fair enough. I'll take Barkley and Jones. You're ripping Barkley, what about Bell? You get him and Darnold.

I'll take Leo and Lawrence and their DL, you got Q and Shepherd and ours. I'll take the secondary he loaded up on this offseason going forward, you got ours. I'll take their WRs when healthy, you get ours.

Look at Gettleman's career and his last two drafts. Look at the cap space he has after clearing out veterans he didn't want. I'll take him. You got Douglas.

Lets sit back and watch, see how this plays out come 2021. Then we'll know who's right.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Fair enough. I'll take Barkley and Jones. You're ripping Barkley, what about Bell? You get him and Darnold.

I'll take Leo and Lawrence and their DL, you got Q and Shepherd and ours. I'll take the secondary he loaded up on this offseason going forward, you got ours. I'll take their WRs when healthy, you get ours.

Look at Gettleman's career and his last two drafts. Look at the cap space he has after clearing out veterans he didn't want. I'll take him. You got Douglas.

Lets sit back and watch, see how this plays out come 2021, then we'll know who's right.

That’s fine, but my main point is that Gettleman hasn’t done anything to warrant being praised. His draft picks are all unproven, and again, the defense he worked to improve over the offseason is probably the worst in the league.

Bell only has two more years of guaranteed money and is playing behind an abomination of an offensive line. If Barkley doesn’t turn into the hall of famer everyone seems to already think he is . . . Yikes.

Serious question - Did you watch the game today? How anyone could think the Giants are “way ahead” of the Jets after watching that . . . Fascinates me.

Also, I’ll just write it again, the Giants would be insane to invest big money in Leo. How many million per “almost” sack would you be willing to pay? 

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

How funny would it be if they're secretly coaching up Rosen, the way teams did when they weren't rushed to start young QBs in 4-5 year windows? The Dolphins didn't have to pay Rosen's signing bonus, they got him dirt cheap.

While the other young Qbs like Darnold, Mayfield, Jones etc. are taking their lumps behind bad OLs, Rosen is practicing under a good coaching staff, and learning from a crafty veteran. 

Oh, those tricky Dolphins!

magic GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the more interesting question will be whether Washington goes the same route that Arizona went, taking another QB just a year after taking Josh Rosen in the 1st Round.  I can see some people in that organization going with Tua, Burrow, Herbert.....if they pick in the Top 3.

Washington has to go QB...HAS TO...Haskins was a huge reach and most likely a huge mistake.

• Upvote 1

That’s fine, but my main point is that Gettleman hasn’t done anything to warrant being praised. His draft picks are all unproven, and again, the defense he worked to improve over the offseason is probably the worst in the league.

Bell only has two more years of guaranteed money and is playing behind an abomination of an offensive line. If Barkley doesn’t turn into the hall of famer everyone seems to already think he is . . . Yikes.

Serious question - Did you watch the game today? How anyone could think the Giants are “way ahead” of the Jets after watching that . . . Fascinates me.

Also, I’ll just write it again, the Giants would be insane to invest big money in Leo. How many million per “almost” sack would you be willing to pay? 

I think they're ahead in terms of rebuilding. They've already torn down, and are in the process of building up at positions like QB, RB, defensive backfield and line. They've been crippled at LB like us, but have two very promising young rooks in Conolly (IR) and Mayo. That doesn't mean those kids are ready to win now, too many are playing at once. Unlike us, they could use a steady vet or two.

As for Leo? There are worse things then having a 25 yo who plays the run well, stays healthy and YOU DIDN'T TAKE AS BPA, lol. You're assuming he's going to get a monster deal, we don't know that. Either way, the most Gettleman is gambling is a 5th. If he doesn't re sign Leo for any reason, he'll get back the 3rd in the compensatory round.

As far as Barkley, he's going to be just fine. He'll get a second contract as long as he's healthy, and cost the Giants what Bell cost us relative to the cap at that time.