Is Leonard Williams worth a 3rd and 4th round draft pick?

Alka

I heard Mara was upset after the Jets game today.  I understand why.  The Jets looked good, better than the Giants.

In my mind, the defensive line of the Jets was the best unit on the field today.  It doesn't seem to me that the Giants defensive line, with newly acquired Leonard Williams, looks very good.  

I know Williams is a good player, good against the run, good locker room guy, but not known as a sacker, and not a difference maker.

Does anyone think that the Giants are having 2nd thoughts right now with the Leonard Williams trade?

If the Giants let him walk after the season, then the Jets get the 3rd round pick next year and the 5th round pick the year after.  If they keep him, a 3rd round pick next year, and a 4th the year after.

I really want to know what others here think.

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Douglas’ best move so far. He has to do something with those picks though. 

I've been thinking the same thing.  Getting a player like Polite in the 3rd round alone was reason all by itself to fire Macc. 

If Douglas gets a solid offensive lineman with that pick, then he will have hit a home run.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The most interesting thing to me will be what Leo Williams signs for as a free agent after this season. I honestly have no idea what kind of money he will get, although free agents find ways to maximize themselves. 

I've done some research on this subject, and it seems that Leonard Williams is supposed to garner around $14 Million per year, baed upon a comparison of like/kind/quality matchup of other players who match up to his skill set.

My fear is that the Giants will let him walk for that price, and we get a 3rd and 5th rounder instead of a 3rd and 4th rounder.  

Then, another team will pay him around 12 Million per year, which will still be overpaying him IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Leo had a couple of pressures but that was it.

A day late and a dollar short.

The story of his career.

We took the Giants for as good of a haul as we could’ve realistically hoped for. And some clown dick franchise will give him $12 million a year this offseason. And I hope it’s the Giants, trying to save face.

23 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Nathan Shepherd > Leo. Does that clear it up better??

No he isn't, but the reason we traded him is Shepherd isn't months away from commanding a $15-18MM/year contract to keep him. 

It's not Leo vs 3rd/4th. It's Leo vs 3rd/4th PLUS the $15MM/year FA who'll take his place.

No brainer to trade Leo (which was overdue, and we surely could have gotten more in return if our prior GM was proactive on this instead of looking to keep him).

Frankly it's looking like a bad move to hang onto Anderson as well. I can at least understand that, as the team still believes in Darnold and the rationale is another half-year of Darnold added development with this extra target will pay Darnold-dividends beyond this lost season. But keeping him is not looking like a great move so far, assuming we still end up letting him go because we want to upgrade and not maintain status quo at WR, if they think they'll still keep Enunwa after he's healed up since his cost is much lower. Don't expect Anderson to give us even $5 in hometown discounts unless he's extended right now and not after the season's over. 

I don't know. Hard to say, as a burner like Anderson may have value beyond his own stats and I'm just blind to it. Then again how hard is it to find a fast guy who gets 1-2 targets a game for half a season? It's not that smart to give up a 4th round pick for half a season of a "stretch the D" decoy. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Of course he did! He got “close” to Darnold a bunch of times today. The announcers were jacking him off quite a bit 

He’s a decent player and I always liked his personality, but he does have this amazing inability to finish would be sacks. 

Its called lazy or lack of a motor.

43 minutes ago, Alka said:

I heard Mara was upset after the Jets game today.  I understand why.  The Jets looked good, better than the Giants.

In my mind, the defensive line of the Jets was the best unit on the field today.  It doesn't seem to me that the Giants defensive line, with newly acquired Leonard Williams, looks very good.  

I know Williams is a good player, good against the run, good locker room guy, but not known as a sacker, and not a difference maker.

Does anyone think that the Giants are having 2nd thoughts right now with the Leonard Williams trade?

If the Giants let him walk after the season, then the Jets get the 3rd round pick next year and the 5th round pick the year after.  If they keep him, a 3rd round pick next year, and a 4th the year after.

I really want to know what others here think.

Close

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Without the great run stopper known as Leo the jets held barkley to like 1 yard on 13 carries.  Much as expected losing him made zero difference to this team.

Actually the results wouldn’t have been as stellar IF Leonard Williams suited up for the Jets today.  How are you going to do better than 13 carries 1 yard?

• Upvote 1